Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
industrial PLCs were iot before iot complete with totally idiotic security ideas. they're probably pretty fun to work on tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
has anyone said (id)iot yet

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FMguru posted:

heres a fun little item from the star citizen thread

very nice

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

FMguru posted:

lol thats so obviously "the guy we hired flamed out or left for a better offer or quit because the position sucked so bad so um who else was in that pile of resumes we sifted through"
"We'll keep your resume on file."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

industrial PLCs were iot before iot complete with totally idiotic security ideas. they're probably pretty fun to work on tho.

i work at a company that sells the modems (cellular, lpwan).

I'm an enabler 😈

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hah, i didn't even consider cell access. all the people I know who deal w/ them (ex: my brother) have them open to the internet on consumer grade connections.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

oh don't worry the carriers will sell you publicly addressable ips

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
atleast if you're selling the modem w/ the PLC equipment you could also mandate a firewhale and some kind of vpn.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

atleast if you're selling the modem w/ the PLC equipment you could also mandate a firewhale and some kind of vpn.

with the password admin and the key 0000000000000000

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
:negative:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

can't decide whether :iot: should be that or :nexus:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

thought i had a "long time til no" story, but checking emails it was 6 weeks from "cool we'll get back to you" to "different direction sry"

ive been at this job for 9 months, some startup just emailed me from a paper resume i gave them during the last search. they actually saw that i have a job and are asking for recommendations of other folks, which i thought had a touch of class. so, any of you goobers wanna do FW at an IoT startup?

I am already doing exactly this and still trapped by green card poo poo for another year otherwise I'd be down

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

JawnV6 posted:

thought i had a "long time til no" story, but checking emails it was 6 weeks from "cool we'll get back to you" to "different direction sry"

ive been at this job for 9 months, some startup just emailed me from a paper resume i gave them during the last search. they actually saw that i have a job and are asking for recommendations of other folks, which i thought had a touch of class. so, any of you goobers wanna do FW at an IoT startup?

I haven't done anything firmware related since college so what are the odds that I'd be less bad than their current team?

please tell me they're really low

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i mean, if the trifecta of IoT SoMa DFM (read: go live in China until we ship) is at all appealing to switch into all 3, leave w/e you're currently doing lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
^ e: nooooooooooooooope

actually wait what am i saying lmao gently caress working for startups

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
apples travel system has no option for you to pay yourself for better plane seats. my 6'4" rear end has to fly coach cross country. i better get the job.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

call the airline itself

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my company official policy is everyone has to fly coach on every flight, even transpacific flights

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
got told I'm going to be flown out for a view of a facility next week. still haven't been told what they're offering in terms of salary/benefits so it's going to be a pretty major bummer on both ends if they shoot low

have another saying they're considering doing full remote but the hr guy went on vacation for a week so I won't hear from them until the other bid gets more serious

also doing part-time consultant work

hoping one of the two fte bids shakes out because this is seriously stressful

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

fart simpson posted:

my company official policy is everyone has to fly coach on every flight, even transpacific flights

oldjob was like that. i had to fly coach to india. the second leg from toronto to frankfurt wasn't awful, i was the only on in the row, and the very last leg from toronto to minneapolis i was one of like 6 people on the plane. the rest was not a great experience.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

call the airline itself

oh hei the American Airlines app is actually not bad and i upgraded to front row round trip for a reasonable fee

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
so reading up on what the on sites are like for apple, would it be worth it to sink some time into one of those coding challenge sites and reviewing the basic algorithm and data structure runtimes and such?

what's a good site to do interview type coding problems?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

so reading up on what the on sites are like for apple, would it be worth it to sink some time into one of those coding challenge sites and reviewing the basic algorithm and data structure runtimes and such?

what's a good site to do interview type coding problems?

hacker rank has a bunch of language-agnostic problems. sometimes the problems are worded strangely so read carefully

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

ill 2nd hacker rank. it seemed to have the best layout and language support out of the few I've used. but as the above said questions can be worded poorly.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

cis autodrag posted:

oh hei the American Airlines app is actually not bad and i upgraded to front row round trip for a reasonable fee

American? enjoy your 29" of leg room.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Elder Postsman posted:

oldjob was like that. i had to fly coach to india. the second leg from toronto to frankfurt wasn't awful, i was the only on in the row, and the very last leg from toronto to minneapolis i was one of like 6 people on the plane. the rest was not a great experience.

here's a tip: if u pass out and collapse in the aisle they will make a little bed in the galley for you and let you lie down. learned that on a hong kong to nyc flight

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

C.H.O.M.E posted:

American? enjoy your 29" of leg room.

better than having some crazy employee drag me off the united flight for having a dilz or not wearing a prairie skirt or whatever poo poo they're on this week.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

here's a tip: if u pass out and collapse in the aisle they will make a little bed in the galley for you and let you lie down. learned that on a hong kong to nyc flight

#airplanehacks

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im flying for 14 hours straight one way in economy next month :smithicide:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

mishaq posted:

i just did that on my way to europe and back and it sukkkkkked. rip in piece you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mishaq posted:

i do the 16 hour direct hong kong to nyc flight about once a year and then back again. you get used to it

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
One of the more interesting things I've learned in the past few years is the larger international flight planes actually have sleeping bunks for the flight attendants. I didn't think there was enough room on a plane for such a thing.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

lol, try 22 hours

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

there is no commercially operated 22 hour flight

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

i do the 16 hour direct hong kong to nyc flight about once a year and then back again. you get used to it

yeah im no stranger to stupid long flights

ive done newark->mumbai several times, la->sydney once, toronto->hong kong , and dc->tokyo->somewhere else a couple times

its just been several years since ive done it in economy, my last two > 5 hour long flights were in business :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fart simpson posted:

there is no commercially operated 22 hour flight

though you can be forgiven for forgetting your 2 hours in singapore or narita

fart simpson posted:

after my first transatlantic flight after doing a bunch of transpacific ones i thought "huh that was really short"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

lol, try 22 hours

im talking about a single flight where you dont get off the plane

it loving sucks

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hobbesmaster posted:

though you can be forgiven for forgetting your 2 hours in singapore or narita

after my first transatlantic flight after doing a bunch of transpacific ones i thought "huh that was really short"

yeah that feeling is weird

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it takes me literally over 30 hours of transit time to visit my parents lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

east coast us -> london is like 6ish hours, it's not much longer than going east coast to west coast

• Locked thread