Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The endless "DID THE THING THAT WORKED THE LAST FOUR TIMES WORK THIS TIME???" cell phone conversations definitely need trimming :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

While I'm griping about story things that I'm probably actually wrong about :

It felt kinda weird that they forced Shido connections into every target's story except Kamoshida's. Obviously Shido had been involved from Futaba's Palace onward, given that he was behind the fake Medjed, but the Shadow versions of Shido's lackies in his Palace also mention that both Kaneshiro and Madarame (for some reason) were involved with Shido. I don't know why that was necessary when it was perfectly fine for them to just be unrelated bad people, but noticeable enough that someone who knows about the Metaverse would recognize that someone else is using it and might be a threat.

I can see Kaneshiro I guess, but the fact that Madarame was part of the conspiracy is hilarious to me. If a sham artist is so integral for Shido's goals, they might as well have gone the whole nine yards and said the gym teacher was in on it too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ROFL Octopus posted:

I can see Kaneshiro I guess, but the fact that Madarame was part of the conspiracy is hilarious to me. If a sham artist is so integral for Shido's goals, they might as well have gone the whole nine yards and said the gym teacher was in on it too.

Create the best volleyball team this country has ever seen!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I mean the principal is part of Shido's cronies so it isn't that much of a stretch

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Finally I can embarrass my political rival's alma mater at volleyball

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

there should have been more options to spam photos of morgana to everyone to show how he does weird cat stuff when no one is looking

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ROFL Octopus posted:

I forget, did someone actually say at some point that Madarame was part of the conspiracy? Or are people just assuming that because he saw Black Mask-kun?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It's also possible that the students just assumed that Joker wasn't the guy seeing as how a few weeks before, the police actually came to Shujin and interviewed all the students. And if they didn't arrest him back then, when everyone already knows that he's got a record... well, it's probably not him.

They also just might not care who it was because they're relieved that the guy was finally arrested and now they're safe.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think this game not having as many goofy vignettes as 4 (like the "We're all going to eat a watermelon" scene) makes sense, but the group chats could have been used for more characterization stuff, because, you know, teens these days. The stuff they already have is pretty good so more of it would not be unwelcome.

I guess it might be tricky to make some of those work based on when the player finishes the palace, because I assume a lot of those chats were "Remind the player about the Palace if they haven't done it, and if they have, well, uh"

Agreed, that seemed like a missed opportunity. The phone chats almost exclusively being plot stuff was disappointing when they could've had more just general conversation going on.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NRVNQSR posted:

I forget, did someone actually say at some point that Madarame was part of the conspiracy? Or are people just assuming that because he saw Black Mask-kun?

They did. His paintings were apparently being used to help launder money for the conspiracy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought Madarame's name came up just in terms of garden-variety political corruption/blackmail, the famous artist kicking up money to a guy likely to do him favors in the future, also probably they learned those nasty secrets about him because they saw his Palace. It wasn't like he was an active conspirator or anything

Zore posted:

They did. His paintings were apparently being used to help launder money for the conspiracy.

Well that's kind of dumb

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ROFL Octopus posted:

I'm pretty sure he wasn't integral, he was just in on it. In the same sense that Okumura was. A client who maybe ordered a few assassinations in exchange for donating money to the cause. And someone who would be immediately sacrificed if he became a risk.

I mean, I do think it was stupid and pointless to name-drop him there, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Madarame was just a successful rear end in a top hat, so why wouldn't he be a part of the Successful Assholes Club?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 3, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I think it would've been more amusing if instead of being one of the conspirators, Madarame was just a guy who happened to rip off Shido with a fake Sayuri, and Shido sent Akechi after him out of spite after realizing it.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think this game not having as many goofy vignettes as 4 (like the "We're all going to eat a watermelon" scene) makes sense, but the group chats could have been used for more characterization stuff, because, you know, teens these days. The stuff they already have is pretty good so more of it would not be unwelcome.

I guess it might be tricky to make some of those work based on when the player finishes the palace, because I assume a lot of those chats were "Remind the player about the Palace if they haven't done it, and if they have, well, uh"

It's a shame, I was excited for the chats going into P5 because I thought they were one of the best parts of the Fire Emblem crossover game. A couple of them are really fun (mainly with Yusuke or Futaba) but most of them are just "I'm worried" "Me too." "All we can do is wait." It feels like a waste, and I hope the inevitable re-release just outright replaces a lot of them.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'd love to press square and bring up the phone, and there's a message from Ryuji waiting for me where all it says is "lol". Open it up, and there's a dumb image meme waiting for me. No social stats ups, no relationship points, just pure character interaction for its own sake.

EDIT: Although maybe that'd be more Futaba's thing.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Coughing Hobo posted:

I'd love to press square and bring up the phone, and there's a message from Ryuji waiting for me where all it says is "lol". Open it up, and there's a dumb image meme waiting for me. No social stats ups, no relationship points, just pure character interaction for its own sake.
Bad, but still better than "Palace?"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The fact that Ann doesn't use a single emoji throughout the entire game requires the biggest suspension of disbelief

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The fact that Ann doesn't use a single emoji throughout the entire game requires the biggest suspension of disbelief

are there really none in her all out attack cutin

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lakbay posted:

I mean the principal is part of Shido's cronies so it isn't that much of a stretch

The principal makes more sense to me. It's a top position in a prestigious school, and he has the ability to direct like-minded and useful individuals into Shido's conspiracy.

Like he probably wasn't in Shido's inner circle, but people like that can be useful.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I want to see more memes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Coughing Hobo posted:

EDIT: Although maybe that'd be more Futaba's thing.

So something like what sister game Tokyo Mirage had in it's messages?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would play Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but after Persona 5's pure style, footage of that looked kind of flat to me.

Also I don't have a Wii U

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's good, imo. Still not sold on the whole idol culture being good thing that it + P4DaN seem to espouse, but the characters not named Tiki were very good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bogart posted:

It's good, imo. Still not sold on the whole idol culture being good thing that it + P4DaN seem to espouse, but the characters not named Tiki were very good.

Tiki is good

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Bogart posted:

Didn't dancing all night have an idol who killed herself after too much pressure from the exploitive industry?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

Didn't dancing all night have an idol who killed herself after too much pressure from the exploitive industry?

No, she killed herself because she felt isolated and that there was nobody out there who really understood her or cared about her.

There is an rear end in a top hat, exploitive producer as one of the major characters in the game, though it's revealed that most of that is just an act to more effectively market the idols working for her, since fans are more likely to be sympathetic to a group of sweet girls who have an overbearing tyrant as their manager, and thus more likely to spend money on their stuff to support them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Combat takes way too long in tms

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Rirse posted:

So something like what sister game Tokyo Mirage had in it's messages?

Hell yeah, that was one of the best things in TMS.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The thing about TMS is, how lazy and cheap do you have to be not only to not redub the combat dialogue, but to not even sub it? Yes I'm aware it's just the usual combat jabber, but having every fight peppered with completely untranslated japanese dialogue was just a bizarre and not ok experience to me that took me right out of the game.

I'm a single issue TMS (localization) hater, I'm sorry for my views

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Wait, Dancing All Night has a plot? I mean I shouldn't be surprised but I am.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

No Mods No Masters posted:

The thing about TMS is, how lazy and cheap do you have to be not only to not redub the combat dialogue, but to not even sub it? Yes I'm aware it's just the usual combat jabber, but having every fight peppered with completely untranslated japanese dialogue was just a bizarre and not ok experience to me that took me right out of the game.

I'm a single issue TMS hater, I'm sorry for my views

Given the amount of effort put into localizing everything other than the lack of a dub, I'm pretty sure not dubbing was a stylistic choice, probably because of the number of times the characters break out into jpop songs. This is the game that redid all the textures in a dungeon in order to change a character's arc from "becoming okay with doing skimpy bikini shoots" to "becoming comfortable in front of cameras". This is the game that went back to the original japanese voice acting and had Tsubasa rerecord all of her lines where she says "17 years old", in japanese, to "18 years old" so it would match the localized script.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NRVNQSR posted:

A fairly in-depth one too.

You can't fight in the special kind of TV world most of the game takes place in so you need to overcome differences and change minds through the power of dancing.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Given the amount of effort put into localizing everything other than the lack of a dub, I'm pretty sure not dubbing was a stylistic choice, probably because of the number of times the characters break out into jpop songs. This is the game that redid all the textures in a dungeon in order to change a character's arc from "becoming okay with doing skimpy bikini shoots" to "becoming comfortable in front of cameras". This is the game that went back to the original japanese voice acting and had Tsubasa rerecord all of her lines where she says "17 years old", in japanese, to "18 years old" so it would match the localized script.

That dialogue isn't even subbed, though, as far as I could tell. If they put in effort elsewhere it's more than canceled out IMO by an inexplicable lack of effort being shoved in your face in every single random encounter

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Bogart posted:

i have nothing worthy to add to any conversations so i got you

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Bogart posted:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Bogart posted:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

It opened with an animated cutscene of a little girl trying to track down her favorite idol after a concert to get an autograph and walking in on her mere seconds after she'd hung herself.

And you thought Persona 5 escalated quickly.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

No Mods No Masters posted:

That dialogue isn't even subbed, though, as far as I could tell. If they put in effort elsewhere it's more than canceled out IMO by an inexplicable lack of effort being shoved in your face in every single random encounter

There's a non-zero chance that trying to rework the battle engine to allow for subtitles was a planned feature that ended up taking more effort than they reasonably wanted to put in. As far as I remember, all of the in-battle dialogue was extremely generic dialogue that didn't really say much of anything. Like, if the dialogue actually had anything of substance, I'd agree that it's a really poor decision, but it's a lot of fluff that's just kinda there.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

There's a non-zero chance that trying to rework the battle engine to allow for subtitles was a planned feature that ended up taking more effort than they reasonably wanted to put in. As far as I remember, all of the in-battle dialogue was extremely generic dialogue that didn't really say much of anything. Like, if the dialogue actually had anything of substance, I'd agree that it's a really poor decision, but it's a lot of fluff that's just kinda there.

I feel like the same could be said of the battle dialogue in this game, but if all of it was completely untranslated, sub or dub, I think a lot of people would not be okay with that in the least.

That said I'll drop the derail, it's just something that really bothers me about the TMS localization. Most people seem to give it a pass and that's fine but it really killed my ability to enjoy it, I wish I could because otherwise it seemed like a decent game

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bonafide Monafide!

• Locked thread