Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harbinger73
Apr 22, 2016

Don't dox me bro. ;)

EDIT, weird defaults to linking to my own account when I click it.

Harbinger73 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Not trying to dogpile you or anything, Hav. I just want to be sure we don't lose ourselves.

Wait, there was a dogpile on the table? <lubes up>

Come at me bros.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
So let's say we have idiots 1, 2, 3 and 4

Idiot 1 buys in for $100, signs up idiot 2.
Idiot 2 buys in for $100, signs up idiot 3. Idiot 1 gets $15 bonus.
Idiot 3 buys in for $100, signs up idiot 4. Idiot 2 is up $15, idiot 1 is now only up $12.50.
Idiot 4 buys in for $100, has no friends. Idiot 3 is up $15, idiot 2 is up $12.50 and what the gently caress happens to idiot 1? Does he get back a portion of idiot 2's referral bonus since idiot 2 was hosed over by idiot 3? If so, idiot 1 is now up $13.125 because why not, this makes perfect sense

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Idiot 3 buys in for $100, signs up idiot 4. Idiot 2 is up $15, idiot 1 is now only up $12.50.
Idiot 4 buys in for $100, has no friends. Idiot 3 is up $15, idiot 2 is up $12.50 and what the gently caress happens to idiot 1? Does he get back a portion of idiot 2's referral bonus since idiot 2 was hosed over by idiot 3? If so, idiot 1 is now up $13.125 because why not, this makes perfect sense

Imagine 4 pyramids on the edge of a cliff.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Harbinger73 posted:

Don't dox me bro. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/R7vxCw5.gifv

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Harbinger73 posted:

Don't dox me bro. ;)

:thejoke:

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

ManofManyAliases posted:

Stop doxxing me.

Post another smug emote please, tia

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Harbinger73 posted:

Don't dox me bro. ;)

pull my finger

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
is that AoC quote real. there's no way its real

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Parp

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey, MoMA.

I used to think you were Toast. Now I ran into Toast on Rocket League while you were posting, so clearly you can not be him. He also did not talk about belts or fancy food :(

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Bofast posted:

Hey, MoMA.

I used to think you were Toast. Now I ran into Toast on Rocket League while you were posting, so clearly you can not be him. He also did not talk about belts or fancy food :(

Our Toast is clearly the superior Toast.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
How's the referral contest going?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

thatguy posted:

How's the referral contest going?

I won!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is so drat good.

These loving guys...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

XK posted:

John Carmack is a programming mastermind, yet, the only reason he was able to reach such notoriety in the public consciousness is because the early to mid 90s were a very special time where an individual could write a groundbreaking graphics engine all by themselves while the rest of the team, 12 other people, handled assets and everything else. He also had crazy rear end John Romero counterbalancing his technical wizardry with all the off the wall nonsense that Romero wanted to put in the game. They achieved creativity through adversity by bouncing off each other.

If Carmack came into the industry right now, he'd be part of an engine team of a dozen people, and would maybe eventually work his way up to project lead.

This is the truth unfortunately. The 90s were a special time for individual stars to shine bright.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

I just want to point out that it's already been revealed, day one, that this game's CEO is a super scammy multi-level marketer. The game's designers are refugees from EQ Next, the project by a company that sold out to the russian mob after selling $100 early access packs, leaving customers holding the bag. They've already introduced a "Referral" system for this game that is a literal MLM scheme.

Naturally Lethality is super loving stoked about it. That man is a perfect weathervane for scams.

Better make a post about it on The Spectrum. This is very much a Star Citizen's jam. The opportunity to get hosed by another company out of their money??? It's like Christmas!

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
If you have to explain how something isn't a pyramid scheme, it's probably a pyramid scheme.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
no ponzi, no ponzi... you're the ponzi

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It does explain it all, it's just hard to parse because of how hilarious it is. The examples talk about playing for free, even receiving money and also explains the reducing returns:

Say you are idiot 2. It is saying that you get 15% of the cash anyone you directly sucker in is actually paying monthly. So initially you pay $15 per month. Once you sucker in 7 referrals each paying $15 you now actually receive money (7x$2.25 = $15.75). At this point, you are receiving $0.75 but are now worth $0 in referrals to the person who initially recruited you. Yeah.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

:bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo:

Now where is our 2.6.3 footage?

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

shrach posted:

It does explain it all, it's just hard to parse because of how hilarious it is. The examples talk about playing for free, even receiving money and also explains the reducing returns:

Say you are idiot 2. It is saying that you get 15% of the cash anyone you directly sucker in is actually paying monthly. So initially you pay $15 per month. Once you sucker in 7 referrals each paying $15 you now actually receive money (7x$2.25 = $15.75). At this point, you are receiving $0.75 but are now worth $0 in referrals to the person who initially recruited you. Yeah.

It's to keep it from being technically a pyramid scheme you see, using pedantry.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/badjin_rank/status/859811079395971073

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Dooguk posted:

I'm getting too old for this poo poo.

It's some nice fun with the .php link in the post. Which directs everyone to their own account page.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/859841781739003906

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
Star Citizen: (speculation)

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Star Citizen is a shiponizi scam.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/7fMsonb.gifv

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Thoatse posted:

no ponzi, no ponzi... stop! vvrrrwrrrrrr

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

I would need to wear darker brown pants for that kind of roughhousing...

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
"Anyone who tells you that this kind of criticism is bad or trouble or should be stifled is wrong; hearing from you in this (and everything) works exactly like supporting the game: it makes everything better."

So who will be the first person to post criticism in that thread and get immediately banned?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/UthoRiley/status/859811233293324289

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

thatguy posted:

"Anyone who tells you that this kind of criticism is bad or trouble or should be stifled is wrong; hearing from you in this (and everything) works exactly like supporting the game: it makes everything better."

So who will be the first person to post criticism in that thread and get immediately banned?
I would, but I'm not on the spectrum.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/859825065428492290

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

amazing.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

That's a great Twitter account there

Very entertaining

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

Ain't that a Tenno?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Hey everybody,
I wanted to stop in and talk about some of the referral program feedback we’ve been seeing. I apologize for resurrecting your thread, but it seemed like a good place to share all of this. We wanted to take a few days to think things through and make sure we understand your feelings, and I think we’ve made some good progress.

The most important feedback to me is the concern over the new player experience. There’s a strong feeling that we should not be pushing new players into the game without a support network. Frankly, hearing that issue come up so much makes us very happy... because it reminds us that you care about Star Citizen in exactly the same way we do. It was heartening to see that so much of the reaction wasn’t about winning prizes or the space cat but about making sure everything is right before you share the world you helped build with your friends.

And that feedback is 100% correct. We often forget that the Citizens who make up the community today are a hardy bunch who have been through the fire of game development the same way we have. So we are on it! As you’ve already heard, we’re moving around some resources to support a new player initiative. That will take the form of additional video tutorials and beginner content to help bring people who haven’t been following us for so long into the ‘verse, and we’ve also passed your feedback on to the development side for their consideration.

Another big issue we’ve found is what has come across as the... I’d say urgency of the contest. Why such a push right now? That question has a few answers, and I’d like to talk about them. First of all, you are absolutely correct that we want new Citizens to join the game. But I know this has been categorized as a kind of ‘cash grab,’ and I want to add that I don’t think that’s the spirit of the thing at all. Why? Because we aren’t buying rocket cars and moon boots... we’re putting all that money back into your game. The more backers we bring in, the more staff we hire and the more we can do with the game. And that’s the dream we’ve been chasing, the one you’ve made possible: a game ruled by ideas that fights as hard as it can to always do better instead of being good enough. We try hard to make our marketing fun and immersive and part of the experience... so sometimes the sheer necessity gets lost. Every time we sell the game, development gets better. And there’s nothing else like that in the world.

That said, we agree with you that it does feel too TOO urgent. There are people who want the space bike who can’t imagine earning it in three months, there are people who want to wait until 3.0 to introduce their friends so they’ll see Star Citizen really shine... and we very much respect that. As a result, we’re going to be making some changes to the ladder, especially to add some more lower tier rewards for longtime supporters but also to give you more of a chance to get the unique items from the contest. Stay tuned for an announcement, and just don’t worry that you need to beg everyone to earn you a Dragonfly today!

Finally, I want to say a few words about the idea of recognizing referral program members. Another critique—a less common one, for sure, but still important—is that the contest rollout unfairly highlighted folks who have been referring since earlier days. Our feeling on this is twofold: one, yes we can absolutely see how that is the case... but two, we feel very strongly that backers who have been with us since the beginning and who have put so much effort into supporting the game, introducing new players and making the experience better for everyone SHOULD get a moment in the sun. If I could put every single person who has been part of the community all this time on AtV I would... but to my mind, it only makes sense that people who have given their blood, sweat and time to our dream should be honored. After all, one of the most wonderful things about Star Citizen is that every one of these people is just like you. Anyone can pick up an Aurora, anyone can stream the game, anyone can share the adventure... and we want the people that to do know how much we appreciate them.

I will close by thanking you for the feedback and also encouraging you to continue. What have I missed? What else do you need to know? I would also personally be very interested to know what you would like to see in a ladder update and what you’d like to see with regards to new player orientation. Anyone who tells you that this kind of criticism is bad or trouble or should be stifled is wrong; hearing from you in this (and everything) works exactly like supporting the game: it makes everything better. I’ll be reading!

Ben

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

That twitter account :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

BMan posted: