Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It wasn't Glanders they used in Afghanistan. They were trying to smuggle a particularly virulent strain of Lassa fever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

GobiasIndustries posted:

:stare: holy poo poo I had no clue they were the same dude

How many people have been on both shows? Stan, Gad, and Pastor Tim?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Martha’s flat is huge.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Martha’s flat is huge.

What was she having for dinner? Fried onions with a shitton of salt on them in a bun?

"Looks good" C'mon Gabriel, you aren't that good of a liar :v:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What was she having for dinner? Fried onions with a shitton of salt on them in a bun?

It was a lovely baked potato

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

So, do we all believe Tuan? Was that whole thread just to further drive a wedge between the ideals of Phil and Elizabeth? Also, the chronology of the scenes had me confused in this episode.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Tuan dynamic is weird to me because P&E have to wear disguises and adopt the airline crew story, but he knows they aren't who they say they are and goes along with them (the faked "I know, 'the Communists did awful things to my country and why would I help them?'" story of his own from one of the first episodes).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"You are having one of our finest meals. Do you know how many people would do unspeakable things to have a dish like this?" :ussr:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I feel so bad for Martha :(

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I don't, she's dumb and now she has a dumb life and eats dumb potatoes.

I hope when USSR falls apart she dies of hunger because being a professional dumbass for the KGB is no longer a valid career and no man will have her unless she's passing them secrets (which she no longer has)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

DarklyDreaming posted:

Oh hey someone was just asking about her

:stonk:

For the record I was hoping this storyline was over

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I was really hoping for the adventures of Martha and Gabriel.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Tuan dynamic is weird to me because P&E have to wear disguises and adopt the airline crew story, but he knows they aren't who they say they are and goes along with them (the faked "I know, 'the Communists did awful things to my country and why would I help them?'" story of his own from one of the first episodes).
That's because they're all running the same cover together (airline crew that adopted Vietnamese kid).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

Don't, she has potato!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Don't, she has potato!

And she able to shop in *good* store that has thing on shelf and no line! She is like Tsarina!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And she able to shop in *good* store that has thing on shelf and no line! She is like Tsarina!

the soviet supermarket reminds me of a kroger the night before a blizzard

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

maskenfreiheit posted:

For the record I was hoping this storyline was over

I loved the giant, flaming 17 center-frame.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

My favorite thing about this show is how it illustrates how well trained human beings can operate at peak efficiency for 60 hours a day without sleeping.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

My favorite thing about this show is how it illustrates how well trained human beings can operate at peak efficiency for 60 hours a day without sleeping.

Bet you had some hot takes when 24 was on.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I think this same thing about Mike scenes in Better Call Saul.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fast Luck posted:

That's because they're all running the same cover together (airline crew that adopted Vietnamese kid).

Tuon doesn't know they're Directorate S, right? Doesn't he believe they're actually airline workers who have been turned into spies? If he knew about them having a family I doubt he would have been afraid they'd turn him in just for calling his old family from a pay phone in another state

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

precision posted:

Tuon doesn't know they're Directorate S, right? Doesn't he believe they're actually airline workers who have been turned into spies? If he knew about them having a family I doubt he would have been afraid they'd turn him in just for calling his old family from a pay phone in another state

I think Tuan has a pretty damned good idea who they are. He's probably an agent of the "TC V" which was why he was really scared about them not telling "his people." It's also very likely that Directorate S worked within Saigon during the war - I can think of no better place to generate blackmail on future military personnel.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Tuan almost certainly knows what he only needs to know but the kid is clearly sharp and I'm sure he's connected most of the dots.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

precision posted:

He right out suggested to them that they need to spend more time at the house in order for the cover to look good, so he clearly knows they're not actually airline employees. That he thinks they are capable of contacting 'his people' also indicates that he knows that P&E know how to get a message to them without Tuan's assistance. It's doubtful that he knows anything about them outside of the identifies they have for this particular operation though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Boarding school! It's the ultimate "Where's Henry?" excuse. I'm kind of surprised P&E aren't jumping at the opportunity.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Elizabeth was so blindsided by Henry that she didn't have a chance to go all Marxist on Henry's desire to go to a boarding school with rich people.

Then again, had they been paying attention to Henry at all, he'd have misgivings about it from the start.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I'm pretty sure Tuan knows straight up that P&E are deep cover KGB agents. They likely haven't volunteered any personal information, as that would be bad tradecraft.

On the other hand, Tuan is clearly a full-on member of whatever agency he works for, as he feels free to give suggestions to P&E, and their relationship isn't like, say, Elizabeth's was with Hans. He clearly respects their experience and, for lack of a better term, pedigree, coming from the KGB and all, but he also seems to consider himself a professional in his own right. He's a deep-cover agent himself, if I recall correctly, specifically placed with his previous host family to build his legend, not an already-immigrated kid who was recruited.

I find it interesting that numerous times in this thread, somebody's said 'Hey, whatever happened to/with X?' only for that to be addressed the very next episode. Best show on TV that nobody watches.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor Butts posted:

Elizabeth was so blindsided by Henry that she didn't have a chance to go all Marxist on Henry's desire to go to a boarding school with rich people.

Then again, had they been paying attention to Henry at all, he'd have misgivings about it from the start.

What better way to get an in with the bourgeoisie? :ussr: Henry can take them down from the inside.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Henry going to boarding school makes life *so* much easier for them most months out of the year. If anything, they should be trying to placate Paige by telling her that she'll get a break from this "spy stuff" when she goes to college.

Of course, I'm sure some drama to come will be "you have to go to college near us, Paige" and her being all "HENRY GOT TO GO AWAY WHY CAN'T I?!?!?"

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
the jennings are really good at loving kids up

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Speaking of Henry, you know who hires a lot of math lovers who went to fancy boarding school? That's right - the NSA.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I thought for a second that Tuan was going to end up being the kid tutoring Henry in math. I was in a half awake state and it hit me like a ton of bricks, then I snapped out of it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

maniacripper posted:

I thought for a second that Tuan was going to end up being the kid tutoring Henry in math. I was in a half awake state and it hit me like a ton of bricks, then I snapped out of it.

You're not crazy, I thought the same thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We know Tuan is good at math because he’s Asian. :rolleye:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

CBJSprague24 posted:

No god damnit I don't want Kimmie back.

Glanders in Afghanistan, eh?

Snowfall looks like it could be a darker version of Atlanta and I'm tempted to check it out because Atlanta is a drat Good Show.

I had never heard of Atlanta, so I looked it up.

And I just got done binge watching it... that is a drat Good Show

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

maskenfreiheit posted:

Speaking of Henry, you know who hires a lot of math lovers who went to fancy boarding school? That's right - the NSA.

Honestly if they're not heading toward something where Henry gets one of those sweet Army offers where they pay for all your college in return for a mere 4 years of service, I'm not sure at all where else they could go with it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Soviet expat is brewing his own beer in a basement lab. He is true American now :911:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It's interesting seeing Philip clearly disillusioned at this point and Elizabeth a bit disturbed with things like being somewhat misled on the wheat strains and apparently straight up lied to about the virus' intended use, but she's still more than willing to sell the company line of "We're doing this to make the world a better place! :ussr:"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The stick is someone telling your husband you hosed one of your students, the carrot is going back to your home without losing anything or spending any time in a gulag.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I won't lie, I wasn't really feeling this episode right up until the impromptu Eastern Orthodox wedding and Phillip and Elizabeth developing the film with Paige. Seeing Pastor Tim lay it out like that :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

howe_sam posted:

I won't lie, I wasn't really feeling this episode right up until the impromptu Eastern Orthodox wedding and Phillip and Elizabeth developing the film with Paige. Seeing Pastor Tim lay it out like that :stare:

Yeah, the episode felt very slow. However, things are looking very bad for Pastor Tim.

• Locked thread