Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't been any news on a Mario Maker port. That one seems obvious.

It's not so obvious because you can't use the touch screen when docked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lakbay posted:

Pikmin 4 please

I heard 3 wasn't as good as 1 or 2

I personally missed being able to c-stick the pick men around but otherwise it is a great game. second screen functionality was ace

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Crawfish posted:

Really hoping 4 doesn't keep the pattern and give you 4 captains to work with.

3 was already a little too much some times.

Adding more captains doesn't really add much ot the gameplay, unless it is multiplayer and genuinely requires simultaneous actions. They shouldn't need to add any more captains to single player, or easily reduce back to 1-2 with good design. Unless different captains started to have different abilities like Pikmin? I dunno, all 3 games are good and I want more.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kashuno posted:

They could add joycon pointer controls to edit courses on the tv and keep touch controls for editing on the Switch screen.

I expect Mario Maker on Switch but greatly expanded and not just a port with a few extras.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I don't know if anybody else in here watches hockey or the Capitals/Penguins playoff series, by this happened today:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PensInsideScoop/status/859807505148497920

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

They could add joycon pointer controls to edit courses on the tv and keep touch controls for editing on the Switch screen.

I expect Mario Maker on Switch but greatly expanded and not just a port with a few extras.

Just make a phone app that handles the second screen. They're already offloading voice chat so they're not unfamiliar with app development. Use a phone for a tight UI, tablet for a expanded view.

Jackbox games (at, like, loving 4 of them so far) make a great POC of this.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Dr Cheeto posted:

It would be awesome if Shiggy just open palm slammed the "Port from Wii U to Switch" button but it's best not to expect anything, inevitably there's gonna be great games left behind. TMS #FE definitely isn't making it over, for one.

Maybe the inevitable enhanced portable version of Persona 5 will be on Switch instead

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

incoherent posted:

Just make a phone app that handles the second screen. They're already offloading voice chat so they're not unfamiliar with app development. Use a phone for a tight UI, tablet for a expanded view.

Jackbox games (at, like, loving 4 of them so far) make a great POC of this.

could just undock the switch and make maps that way then redock to play. its not like you're gonna be docking and undocking every 5 mins or some poo poo. making maps takes time.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Suaimhneas posted:

Maybe the inevitable enhanced portable version of Persona 5 will be on Switch instead

I am the idiot waiting for P5 for the switch. Hell, Give me P4G so I can experence that for the first time.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Vikar Jerome posted:

could just undock the switch and make maps that way then redock to play. its not like you're gonna be docking and undocking every 5 mins or some poo poo. making maps takes time.

I don't think you've ever made a Mario Maker level.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Takoluka posted:

I don't think you've ever made a Mario Maker level.

uh oh.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

incoherent posted:

I am the idiot waiting for P5 for the switch. Hell, Give me P4G so I can experence that for the first time.

I would buy persona 3-5 again on switch if they put them on it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

What If...what if they introduce a better dock that connects via wifi in your house that allows you to second screen the switch to the TV?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

incoherent posted:

What If...what if they introduce a better dock that connects via wifi in your house that allows you to second screen the switch to the TV?

my god. they could call it a dock u.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Vince MechMahon posted:

I would buy persona 3-5 again on switch if they put them on it.

I need to give those games another chance. I always get too preoccupied with trying to min-max and worry about missing things that I never finish them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nephzinho posted:

Adding more captains doesn't really add much ot the gameplay, unless it is multiplayer and genuinely requires simultaneous actions. They shouldn't need to add any more captains to single player, or easily reduce back to 1-2 with good design. Unless different captains started to have different abilities like Pikmin? I dunno, all 3 games are good and I want more.

Yeah I really think having more astronauts than people playing is more tedious than useful. There should be 1 dude unless you're playing co-op.

Like, okay guys, I've played The Lost Vikings, I get it.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Meridian posted:

I need to give those games another chance. I always get too preoccupied with trying to min-max and worry about missing things that I never finish them.

There's no reason to do that since they are pretty dang easy. Do the whole thing without reading into any guides or anything. Just play the game.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

It's going to be a sad day when they finally close Miiverse. Thank the lord the 3Ds (and 2DS) will keep it alive for the next decade.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Drunk Tomato posted:

There's no reason to do that since they are pretty dang easy. Do the whole thing without reading into any guides or anything. Just play the game.

I definitely will if they get ports.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I really think having more astronauts than people playing is more tedious than useful. There should be 1 dude unless you're playing co-op.

Like, okay guys, I've played The Lost Vikings, I get it.

I dunno, I think 2 or 3 are a lot more fun to play with, but I tend to enjoy being able to micromanage and hate leaving Pikmin alone.

The first game gets annoying if you try to do more than two things at once.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kashuno posted:

They can just say on the eshop page that touch screen related stuff only works in portable mode. This is already a solved problem.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bread Liar
Is anybody else dealing with a hosed up ZR button? Not sure if it was one of the kids that bonked it but it rocks a little back and forth and does an odd click, and on top of that the actual press of the button feels wonky.

god drat kids

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I know this is a pretty lame complaint, but I finally booted MK8 up last night after prying myself away from PPT, and it's kind of disappointing to me (someone who never owned a WiiU) that everything is automatically unlocked right from the start. The whole single player campaign feels kind of empty and shallow now that I've been robbed of the experience of playing through the same tracks over and over again at increasing speeds, all while unlocking cool new characters and gear.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Bill Barber posted:

I know this is a pretty lame complaint, but I finally booted MK8 up last night after prying myself away from PPT, and it's kind of disappointing to me (someone who never owned a WiiU) that everything is automatically unlocked right from the start. The whole single player campaign feels kind of empty and shallow now that I've been robbed of the experience of playing through the same tracks over and over again at increasing speeds, all while unlocking cool new characters and gear.

sorry about your pervasive developmental disorder 😑

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Give me Donkey Kong Country Deluxe, with both Returns and Tropical Freeze. TF was great but Returns was as well, it had excellent level design and might even be better, it shouldn't get forgotten.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Louisgod posted:

Is anybody else dealing with a hosed up ZR button? Not sure if it was one of the kids that bonked it but it rocks a little back and forth and does an odd click, and on top of that the actual press of the button feels wonky.

god drat kids

You'd think that a console made for children would be better made!!!!

Remember when people were saying parents were just gonna buy Switches for their children and Joycons getting lost or broken was just super whatever????

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i want the loving switch VC so i can rebuy DKC 2 and 3 once again and play them to 105% despite the fact that it would take me less than 2 minutes to hook up my snes and carts.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Louisgod posted:

god drat kids

Not this exactly, but the triggers on both joycons feel kinda cheap and springy, and the sticks also feel shoddy, after about two months of regular-but-not-extreme use.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bill Barber posted:

Do you play games because they are fun or because you can unlock things?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Do you play games because they are fun or because you can unlock things?

Dude wants a single-player experience with clearer rewards and a sense of progression, which isn't unreasonable. MK8 isn't really that game though, unless you're motivated by getting stars on grand prix.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I want to play mario party but at the start you only have 1/3rd of the first map and the dice block is missing the numbers 3, 5 and 6. loving nintendo unlocking everything at the start

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pretend that you're unlocking racers and choose a different one for each cup because you have like 40 to choose from.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

But everything isn't unlocked from the start in MK8D, at least I'm playing each of the tracks in each of the cups in order and I always end up unlocking a new part for beating a cup.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

acksplode posted:

Dude wants a single-player experience with clearer rewards and a sense of progression, which isn't unreasonable. MK8 isn't really that game though, unless you're motivated by getting stars on grand prix.

Then he could still play through 50cc, then 100cc, then 150cc, etc.

The only things you even unlock in original MK8 are characters (at random) and vehicle parts (which you still have to unlock in MK8D) and maybe Mirror mode? Either way, you still need to get at least 1 star on every cup in 150cc and Mirror to unlock the gold kart, so you still need to do that anyways.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

pooch516 posted:

I dunno, I think 2 or 3 are a lot more fun to play with, but I tend to enjoy being able to micromanage and hate leaving Pikmin alone.

The first game gets annoying if you try to do more than two things at once.

I don't want to do more than two things at once though, and I don't want the game to expect me to. Pikmin works because it isn't an RTS, trying to turn it into one is just going to leave me wanting a mouse and keyboard and a proper camera.

Just give me one Olimar and a bunch of PIkemen that I can throw around and lead on adventures. Make it more about exploring. Pikmin 1 was the best.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mario Maker Deluxe will require two Switches to play

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

a.lo posted:

It's going to be a sad day when they finally close Miiverse. Thank the lord the 3Ds (and 2DS) will keep it alive for the next decade.

Losing the Miiverse is still the biggest problem with the Switch. Splatoon 2 is going to lose half of the charm from Splatoon without all the good memes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pureauthor posted:

A dozen green lights, all labelled 'Port _____ from Wii U to Switch', just began flashing in Ninty HQ the moment the MK8DX first day sales numbers rolled in anyway soooo

I am more than ready for Xenoblade Chronicles X to get a Switch port, especially if they make some much needed tweaks and simplifications to the game (and unfuck the awful affection grind for allies).

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
If Nintendo makes a mario party that isn't a baby's version where everyone is basically working together it will sell so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Kashuno posted:

If Nintendo makes a mario party that isn't a baby's version where everyone is basically working together it will sell so well.

Fire Nd Cube and make Konami's Hudson Soft employees do it, then it might be good

• Locked thread