Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buying star wars sets for parts is actually pretty lovely unless you want the minifigs. Light grey is easily the cheapest color on bricklink, mostly because star wars has been running for almost 20 years now and the supply is enormous (though light bluish grey only showed up around 2005).

This lets you get exactly the parts you want without paying the star wars "tax."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah but I usually do it when there's a BOGO or some kind of sale.

And I don't usually buy a set looking for a specific PART. I buy a set looking to bulk up my random parts. Star Wars sets just (lately) tend to have a lot of colors and styles I use...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What is the classic lego gray? Light gray or light bluish gray? I never collected lego beyond the 90's and when I go on bricklink now I'm totally overwhelmed by the colour choices. Too many colours!!!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The "classic" grey is called "light grey" on bricklink.

"light bluish grey" only looks bluish when you place it right next to a "light grey" brick (or conversely, "light grey" looks yellow and dirty next to "light bluish grey").

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the pale blue/gray called sand blue? That color is fantastic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'll buy small sets just for a specific part/parts if I see a part that makes me inspired to make something. I figure I'll use the other parts anyways but I'll only do it if the set is less than $10. Anything more than that I have to actually like the set to some degree.

Mixels were my favorite because they always have a bunch of small unique parts and they are cheap and fun to build. They were really hard to beat if you like making little sci fi builds like me.

Speaking of. I guess target or clearing what's left of the mixels for 3.50 right now. Not a mind blowing savings but still. Get em before they are all gone :rip:

Edit: also pick a brick is great for that poo poo but it doesn't cycle out nearly enough.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They're all over the place now, but you can usually find image leaks on Hoth Bricks or the Eurobricks forum.

Lego is notorious for fudging movie scenes, but you never know. So possible Justice League spoilers in the pics.

I like how it's not even attempting to hide the big reveal the trailers are trying their best to hide until opening weekend.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

Is the pale blue/gray called sand blue? That color is fantastic.

That's sand blue.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

duz posted:

I like how it's not even attempting to hide the big reveal the trailers are trying their best to hide until opening weekend.

That's pretty much a classic move for Lego and their movie licensed properties.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Wasn't the snowspeeder supposed to be available for VIP in the us today?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They scratched the early release in the US.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Lepin!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ripped straight from an Ideas post.
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/104897

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. Noticed that too. I hope they are paying the creators becauhahahaa. I couldn't say that whole sentence with a straight face.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How good is any of the knock off lego? What always ruined it for me is the totally smooth tops. If someone just wrote "LAGO" or something on the studs I'd be sold.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
I've had 2 lepin sets, ucs millenium falcon and super star destroyer. Both sets had several missing pieces, but it was maybe $10-15 combined in extra parts from bricklink to finish them. They arent perfect, a few pieces with damaged studs or holes that have to be massaged into place. Had a couple grey pieces with a bit of black plastic swirled into them. From a few feet away though you can't tell the difference.

The minifigs are the weak link, with poor printing, lower quality molds and strange colors.

Look at lovely Bossk

jeff8472 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 4, 2017

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

How good is any of the knock off lego? What always ruined it for me is the totally smooth tops. If someone just wrote "LAGO" or something on the studs I'd be sold.

That's pretty great.

From what I've heard Lepin is pretty good. Definitely seems better quality than megabloks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

jeff8472 posted:

I've had 2 lepin sets, ucs millenium falcon and super star destroyer. Both sets had several missing pieces, but it was maybe $10-15 combined in extra parts from bricklink to finish them. They arent perfect, a few pieces with damaged studs or holes that have to be massaged into place. Had a couple grey pieces with a bit of black plastic swirled into them. From a few feet away though you can't tell the difference.

The minifigs are the weak link, with poor printing, lower quality molds and strange colors.

Look at lovely Bossk

Lepin, or someone similar, makes individual boxed Star Wars and comic minifigures under that same "STAR PLAN" branding that are usually pretty decent. My local comic shop sells them for $2-3 each. I've got an SDCC-style Bizarro (decent) and a minifig-sized Galactus (great). Bizarro is okay, my main qualm is that his S should be backwards but isn't. Galactus is actually fairly solid, and his giant headpiece uses roughly the same quality plastic as the china-made Lego CMFs.

They're decent enough that I'm hoping they make the Fantastic Four and use the recent Ms Marvel stretchy arm piece for Reed. I'd love to make a Fantasticar MOC.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

jeff8472 posted:

Look at lovely Bossk

That's still better than this one I found in a review:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't even notice final images were released for that Bounty Hunter battle pack and it comes out next month.

http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-star-wars-bounty-hunter-speed-bike-battle-pack-75167-official-images/

Super stoked on this. I think this is the first battle pack that has come out since I started buying Lego again with actual characters. Seems weirdly generous of Lego to put such a complete set of sought after characters in such a cheap set. Wish they didn't have those goddamn stud shooters though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't even notice final images were released for that Bounty Hunter battle pack and it comes out next month.

http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-star-wars-bounty-hunter-speed-bike-battle-pack-75167-official-images/

Super stoked on this. I think this is the first battle pack that has come out since I started buying Lego again with actual characters. Seems weirdly generous of Lego to put such a complete set of sought after characters in such a cheap set. Wish they didn't have those goddamn stud shooters though.

I know folks have been asking for him for a while, and I know there really isn't a better way to do that minifig, but that IG-88 looks awful. I hate those battle droid molds. You'd think they'd revamp it after 18 years, but :shrug:. I can't help but think the set would be much better off with Zuckuss instead.

Also, May 4th deals are up on the Lego S@H site for US/Canada. Nothing substantial, but decent discounts on the Rogue One Y-Wing and Scarif sets.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 4, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Baronjutter posted:

I have about $40 worth that I bought on AliExpress and it varies.

I have the sport bike. Excellent quality. Indistinguishable from real Lego except for the missing LEGO on the studs. Everything fits with the correct tolerances and nothing was molded weird. I think I'm gonna get the cruiser too. The stickers don't say "Technic", they say "Exploiture." I didn't stick them on.

I have the "KFE" and "Corner Coffee." Decent but not fantastic. Some of the long flat pieces are noticeably more flexible than real Lego equivalents. Everything fits together, though. All of the details are stickers, not printing, and the minifigs are just okay (no major problems, but a little mold flashing and printing imperfections on close inspection). All of the clear window/door pieces were badly scratched.

Perfect. Excellent printing on every character and no molding or fitment issues.

Inconsistent. Venkman is pretty much perfect, with sharp printing and good molding. Zeddemore is pretty good but his printing looks a little rougher. Stantz and Spengler look like their printing was copied from a low-res JPEG of the original product. Like Egon's face is just fuckin blurry. There's also some mold lines on the hair pieces. All the parts went together well, though.

I got Danerys and Drogo. Printing is fine, molding is fine, but both of their legs are weirdly stiff. My sister complains that Drogo's skin is too white.

Bad. This image is fairly accurate (uneven painting, visible mold flash) but mine also had a big smear of brown/black on the side where you'd expect a mold pull to be, a small gouge in the plastic next to that, and the hot dog was painted even worse. Pretty crappy.

Based on my experiences I'd say the minifigs are a crapshoot but worth a try if there's one you want that you can't get anywhere else (e.g. the Watchmen ones) cause they're like 85 cents each. Technic is good. Standard bricks are probably only worth getting for the novelty (e.g. Colonel Unabomber on the "KFE" sign) or if you aren't picky.

e: no missing pieces in any of the sets I got, and in fact plenty of extras. The motorcycle came with like 10 extra chain links for instance.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 4, 2017

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Having looked forward to buy some Lego for the May 4th event and not finding any Star Wars lego i wanted i ended up buying the Fairground Mixer and the Ferris Wheel (and a preorder for the upcoming carousel) for my 2 year old daughter.

I already have the big rear end Disney Castle in the basement waiting for her to be old enough (and hopefully interested in Lego.)

I am basically scooping up big playsets before they get sold out and prices skyrocket. If she ends up not being interested in Lego sets of this size shouldn't be too hard to sell off, particularly unopened.

Not sure i will go so far as to buy Friends and/or Elves though.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Ineptitude posted:

Having looked forward to buy some Lego for the May 4th event and not finding any Star Wars lego i wanted i ended up buying the Fairground Mixer and the Ferris Wheel (and a preorder for the upcoming carousel) for my 2 year old daughter.

I already have the big rear end Disney Castle in the basement waiting for her to be old enough (and hopefully interested in Lego.)

I am basically scooping up big playsets before they get sold out and prices skyrocket. If she ends up not being interested in Lego sets of this size shouldn't be too hard to sell off, particularly unopened.

Not sure i will go so far as to buy Friends and/or Elves though.

The friends and elves sets are pretty solid, and I am particularly happy with the dragon. If it makes you feel better, storm trooper helmets will fit a minidoll's head

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Weren't there supposed to be a few more Batman releases? I think a scarecrow car and a batwing. Maybe a couple others.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

Weren't there supposed to be a few more Batman releases? I think a scarecrow car and a batwing. Maybe a couple others.

Probably a second wave when the home video is released.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ultimate Batmobile is June 1

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
$129 for 1500 pieces is not bad at all.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
I was able to get the snowspeeder from lego.com yesterday night around 11:50pm, but I had some time to kill today so I swung by my local lego store, got a line a dozen strong waiting for the doors to open. Is there anything other than the snowspeeder going on?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's May 4th poo poo going on today.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Has anyone looked at the R2 dome from today to see if the head is better in scale with the UCS X Wing than the minifig?

Also yeah jorts wearers will line up before a big release but I've never had a problem walking in later on release day to pick up anything.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 4, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cool. R2 is only available if you buy star wars things. And I so love star wars stuff. Guess I will go to ebay.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I got 2 R2s. Snowspeeder of course.
Y wing was on sale.

Crazy the Beatles sub is on clearance. Would not have guessed

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Feenix posted:

Y wing was on sale.

It's sold exceptionally badly. Lego really thought it would be a big deal but it turns out most Beatles fans don't like Lego and no body else gives a poo poo about them.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Feenix posted:

Yeah, it's such a good set. I might pick up another just for the pieces.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Woah. That Is surprising tbh. How much is it on clearance for? I already have it but it does have a ton of great parts.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

veni veni veni posted:

Woah. That Is surprising tbh. How much is it on clearance for? I already have it but it does have a ton of great parts.

47 us

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

jeff8472 posted:

Look at lovely Bossk

Uhg those flat smooth studs. I don't care what's on there but it's the lack of any sort of text on the tops of the studs that's always the dealbreaker for knockoff lego. If some competitor, legal or otherwise, managed to get the plastic and fits right and had some text on the studs similar to the "lego" on the officials I'd be sold to try them out.

I don't know why the smooth studs throw me off so much.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Y wing was on sale.

I've wanted the sub, will deffo check it out now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I got to the Lego Store 10 min before they were open.

There were 3 people ahead of me. No one lining up. Within 10 minutes there was a crowd. No order. Got inside... All the shelf ones are grabbed, with one couple grabbing 2. More behind the counter. I file in one of 2 lines. There are 12 more. One person in front of me in my line. Manager asks we form one line. Everyone does. I say gently caress that (under my breath, I'm no meanie) and stand my ground. Line was like 30 deep and I was the 4th person there. I was leaving with a SNowspeeder.

Got it, Got R2. Then shopped... got Y WIng (47$) Krennick's Microfighter. And like 15 S17 figures. Get back in line, downplay the giant bag I'm holding...

I get another R2.

Decent haul. :D