Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've heard good things about a game called system shock 2. Maybe something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Hell yes

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fear not, the gun, my friend.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I'd like a Dark Souls in an alien ship that was heavily inspired by Giger. Everything else I think would fit would just kind of be Doom, though.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'd considered the viability of "Bloodborne 2 is in the Wild West" but mostly because I want a weaponized cactus and left-hand lasso build. But yeah, not enough decrepit stuff unless they include Native American ruins which would probably get racist and dumb.

Also I want people with Southwestern American accents talking to you just like normal Souls characters, wry ironic chuckling included.

Edit: I guess it could be a mishmash of America, so you travel for 5 minutes (or take some kind of spooky train) and your suddenly in Lovecraft County, New England. Or you could go to the Deep South for obligatory swamp levels.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 3, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

obligatory swamp levels.

At least we know to expect this from any future from soft title, a good start I reckon

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Judge Tesla posted:

So now that Dark Souls is over and done with, what are dudes like Vaati going to do now, talk endlessly about things that'll never be answered or just fade away into the mists of time, because seriously his entire thing is reading item descriptions with a somber sounding voice.

10 Things You Missed in Hollow Knight

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Bb2 will be waterborne

A kin chooses, a man obeys

No, wait, that doesn't work. Hold on

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

KingSlime posted:

At least we know to expect this from any future from soft title, a good start I reckon

A dropping puzzle on rickety platforms.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Weeping Wound posted:

10 Things You Missed in Hollow Knight

would watch

Digirat posted:

A dropping puzzle on rickety platforms.

would drop on said rickety platforms, probably dying three times in the process

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It'll be a good game as long as it has;

• Obligatory swamp level
  • Platforming on rickety structures
  • A really depressed dude
  • Moonlight Greatsword
  • *in weird tone* Hah ha ha ha.....

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Also you are a prisoner to your hub world, which is not what it seems and has had countless other people just like you go through the motions

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just put Patches in literally any scenario or genre and I'll buy it.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Your Computer posted:

It'll be a good game as long as it has;

• Obligatory swamp level
  • Platforming on rickety structures
  • A really depressed dude
  • Moonlight Greatsword
  • *in weird tone* Hah ha ha ha.....

Imagine how many suns Solaire would have to look up to?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

A fine dark soul to you!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Cavelcade posted:

Imagine how many suns Solaire would have to look up to?

He doesn't need to, he already has the Nameless King, who is the Large Adult Sun.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I can't wait to be cyber-booted down a black hole by Neo-Patches.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

KingSlime posted:

Also you are a prisoner to your hub world, which is not what it seems and has had countless other people just like you go through the motions

Also you are cleaning up the mess of the people you thought were cool

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Maleh-Vor posted:

I'd like a Dark Souls in an alien ship that was heavily inspired by Giger.
... but then where would the bridge having fire breathed on it by a fly-by dragon be?

sorry, "space-bridge", "space-fire", "space-dragon"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Security Patches

e: Patches Tuesday

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I can't wait to be cyber-booted down a black hole by Neo-Patches.

Patches will be a homicidal AI that will be revealed to be an ascended human conciousness in an interview, and we should be proud of him

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

Security Patches

e: Patches Tuesday

He ruins your favorite weapon each time you run into him.

Turns out his full name is Balance Patches.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

... but then where would the bridge having fire breathed on it by a fly-by dragon be?

sorry, "space-bridge", "space-fire", "space-dragon"

Just have a winged alien spit cocks at you while you hide behind a larger cock near some ribs and vertebrae.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Maleh-Vor posted:

Just have a winged alien spit cocks at you while you hide behind a larger cock near some ribs and vertebrae.
pretty good start, but could use a few more sexual overtones

also undertones

middle too, why not

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just let me level up at bonfires or whatever their equivalent is, have the levels connected physically to one another, make me earn the right to fast travel.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Augus posted:

just let me level up at bonfires or whatever their equivalent is, have the levels connected physically to one another, make me earn the right to fast travel.

Levelling up will be done at the checkpoints, but instead of bonfires or lanterns the checkpoints will be holo-emitters projecting a motherly AI woman with occluded eyes. Perfect solution.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Alternatively, do none of those things

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Patches will be a homicidal AI that will be revealed to be an ascended human conciousness in an interview, and we should be proud of him

the big reveal is that he's just working you from a hard-to-reach office somewhere with an entire wall of computers on it, dressed in the exact same garb from Dark Souls because he LARPs or something

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

Alternatively, do none of those things

extremely bad post

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Patches is a space-girl. Also, she's barefoot.
keh-heh-heh

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Maleh-Vor posted:

Patches is a space-girl. Also, she's barefoot.
keh-heh-heh

I am so down with bald, unscrupulous Fem-Patches. And it has to very clearly be Patches and not just some "patches homage" like Pate.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Pontiff Sulyvahn is the greatest boss fight I've ever played. It's like he was hand-tailored yo gently caress me over - every habit and natural insinct I had, like attacking from the side and rolling sideways when an opponent's arm is raised, was brutally punished. I'd never had enough patience to play any bosses more than 12 or so times without summons until that guy, because I couldnt rationalize a way to claim the fight was bs because in its own way it's 100% fair. Awesome fight.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

Pontiff Sulyvahn is the greatest boss fight I've ever played. It's like he was hand-tailored yo gently caress me over - every habit and natural insinct I had, like attacking from the side and rolling sideways when an opponent's arm is raised, was brutally punished. I'd never had enough patience to play any bosses more than 12 or so times without summons until that guy, because I couldnt rationalize a way to claim the fight was bs because in its own way it's 100% fair. Awesome fight.

Pontiff Sulyvahn is one of my favorite fights ever and this is why I can't get mad at the lore spergs who try to make Sulyvahn into Velka 2.0 :arghfist::)

Using the delay between his shadow's and his own attacks to set up a parry is too great.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how can sulyvahn be velka 2.0 when sulyvahn has actually appeared onscreen and directly did things
also I'm kinda bummed that my last fight with sulyvahn had his shadow glitch into the wall, causing him to stop doing anything and just let me wail on him til he was dead

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

how can sulyvahn be velka 2.0 when sulyvahn has actually appeared onscreen and directly did things

That's a good point :monocle:

A lot of people were unironically arguing that he was the ultimate puppetmaster and orchestrated literally everything in DS3 and by extension, the series as a whole. It went kinda far. Ironically, they stopped caring as much about him when DLC1 was announced because DLC1 was going to be all about Velka! Did you know we're gonna fight Allfather Lloyd!? Look at those Velka Trees! Oh my god is that Velka herself in the chair!! What about that white haired girl? Probably Velka or Velka's daughter! It's just like the Painted World of Velka from Dark Souls 1!

Nevermind that DLC1 actually put out a lore bomb about Sulyvahn, the Velka obsession was already at full throttle.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Your Computer posted:

That's a good point :monocle:

A lot of people were unironically arguing that he was the ultimate puppetmaster and orchestrated literally everything in DS3 and by extension, the series as a whole. It went kinda far. Ironically, they stopped caring as much about him when DLC1 was announced because DLC1 was going to be all about Velka! Did you know we're gonna fight Allfather Lloyd!? Look at those Velka Trees! Oh my god is that Velka herself in the chair!! What about that white haired girl? Probably Velka or Velka's daughter! It's just like the Painted World of Velka from Dark Souls 1!

Nevermind that DLC1 actually put out a lore bomb about Sulyvahn, the Velka obsession was already at full throttle.

What if you are Velka? :tinfoil:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I always thought it was weird how Sulyvahn had the little mini second phase that lasts for about 3 seconds before you've done enough damage to trigger his third phase. Why not just jump right to him summoning his Stand?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

GET OUT

THE VELKAS ARE COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

No Wave posted:

The duration of his windup animations were what got me the most. Perfectly fair, but he'll start an animation that looks like a normal sword swing but hold it for just long enough that you instinctively dodge and then get hit when he actually swings.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 4, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The duration if his windup animations were what got me the most. Perfectly fair, but he'll start an animation that looks like a normal sword swing but hold it for just long enough that you instinctively dodge and then get hit when he actually swings.

DS3 does this so much and I love it. It's the perfect way to make things harder for people who have muscle memory from the previous games :allears:

I think one of the most hilarious applications is one of the Harald Legion knights moves from the second DLC; they'll wind up like a regular attack and then.... slam their weapon into into the ground, THEN follow it up with the actual swing. It still trips me up every time they do it.

Cavelcade posted:

What if you are Velka? :tinfoil:
Like and favorite this post and subscribe to my Patreon and the answer may be in an upcoming post! ;-*

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gael seems entirely designed around loving with muscle memory. In phase 1 he attacks rapidly like most of the enemies in DS3 and you have to roll through his swings right away. Then in phase 2 he drops that completely. His attacks become extremely slow. Way slower than what you expect from DS3. They are also designed to punish imperfect rolls. On top of this, Gael can combo his attacks into different moves. So if you try and act based on memory you can get hosed over by him doing a different laggy move... if you're using a slow weapon. If you use a weapon that attacks fast you can just react to his delayed combos and staggered swings.

Gael became way easier for my Pyro when I tried using the demon scar in phase 2 rather than the onyx blade. I wasn't able to reliable stagger him but could respond to his delayed attacks and wasn't getting punished by my own greedy swings.