Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JimmyT64 posted:

See, if we're talking about MC being a good/bad person, the fact he tells main girl "Hey I got feelin's for this other girl" seems to me to be a point on the good side of the scale - the alternative being NOT telling her, of course.

Whether this just ends up being wish fulfillment depends on how main girl reacts, which I don't know, not having read the novel in question, but I don't think this is calling the main characters morality into question any more than your average wishy-washy harem protag.

It would be fine and interesting if Emilia responded negatively and was like "what no, I'm not cool with that", but I'm not exactly expecting that to be the case. While someone can always claim "well, Emilia is the type of person who is cool with polygamy" it would be obvious that the real motivation for that would be the wish fulfillment stuff.

Also I just like Emilia more. I feel like Rem's character arc is basically over, but I'm still curious about what is going on with Emilia.

I feel like the best kind of wish fulfillment is the kind where it isn't transparently obvious that wish fulfillment is the primary goal. This is why regular romances are best; you can still have the "romance with an attractive girl" wish fulfillment stuff while staying within the confines of events that might happen in any "normal" story. Once you start to include stuff that feels unnatural and only seems to occur with the specific intent of nerd wish fulfillment it becomes harder to ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

It would be fine and interesting if Emilia responded negatively and was like "what no, I'm not cool with that", but I'm not exactly expecting that to be the case. While someone can always claim "well, Emilia is the type of person who is cool with polygamy" it would be obvious that the real motivation for that would be the wish fulfillment stuff.

Also I just like Emilia more. I feel like Rem's character arc is basically over, but I'm still curious about what is going on with Emilia.

I feel like the best kind of wish fulfillment is the kind where it isn't transparently obvious that wish fulfillment is the primary goal. This is why regular romances are best; you can still have the "romance with an attractive girl" wish fulfillment stuff while staying within the confines of events that might happen in any "normal" story. Once you start to include stuff that feels unnatural and only seems to occur with the specific intent of nerd wish fulfillment it becomes harder to ignore.

Honestly, I don't think the Rem thing will ever actually happen, she seems destined for tragedy and the fact that there's a whole series of "What If" chapters that are just Subaru and Rem being married makes it that much less likely to work out in the real story, IMO. Also I've heard the LN version changes things up a lot for this arc, like Subaru never telling Emilia he loves Rem.

As for Emiia's reaction, I don't know how far into Arc 4 you are but so far I would not say she's cool with it at all, she's just keeping a lot of negative feeling internalized for the first half of Arc 4. This arc definitely goes places where Emilia is concerned it just takes a while to get there.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

darkgray posted:

Well, there's a ubiquitous web novel template, see. It goes a little something like this:

You forgot the part where the MC single handedly stops an invasion from not-China.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

RE ZERO ARC 4 IS FINISHED! :perfect:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The anime for In Another World With My Smartphone sure looks exciting and hot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6APaRV_mXgg

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

darkgray posted:

There's no way this is real

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

I tried reading the web novel for this, and it is pretty much the most cliche isekai story imaginable.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

There's no way that this is a real commercial. It tells us literally nothing except what the title already tells us, that the main character is in another world with his smartphone. What the gently caress, anime.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

blastron posted:

There's no way that this is a real commercial. It tells us literally nothing except what the title already tells us, that the main character is in another world with his smartphone. What the gently caress, anime.

To be fair, that's about as deep as the story gets.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My favorite thing about that story is that the whole gimmick is supposed to be the protagonist bringing his smart phone, so I was at least expecting a bunch of weird shenanigans where he used his smart phone to help build up a medieval society or something, but nope - it turns out he also has special magic powers, uh, just because I guess.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

My favorite thing about that story is that the whole gimmick is supposed to be the protagonist bringing his smart phone, so I was at least expecting a bunch of weird shenanigans where he used his smart phone to help build up a medieval society or something, but nope - it turns out he also has special magic powers, uh, just because I guess.

the one where the hikikomori's whole house gets transported and he asks for advice on message boards is the best one

because its the dog who gets special magic powers

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

...does the dog end up with a sultry harem of disembodied floating legs?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

So whats the smart phone for?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Namtab posted:

So whats the smart phone for?

it is the core of the author's identity

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Rangpur posted:

...does the dog end up with a sultry harem of disembodied floating legs?

idk it was nowhere near finished and for i know it turned into a shitshow later but it was great how the dog was clearly the hero

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked the dog and the parts about his sister but the main story was boring

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010
wow, rokujouma got picked up by jnovel. the fan translator who did the previous 22 volumes is working on it, and they're releasing a re-edited version of the past 22 volumes for free

wonder how the hell they managed that deal

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Zandracon posted:

wow, rokujouma got picked up by jnovel. the fan translator who did the previous 22 volumes is working on it, and they're releasing a re-edited version of the past 22 volumes for free

In what way? Wasn't the Haruhi English release a punch-up of the old fan translation?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ConanThe3rd posted:

In what way? Wasn't the Haruhi English release a punch-up of the old fan translation?

The rumour's always been that Stratos was picked up for it, yeah, but I don't think it was ever confirmed.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zandracon posted:

From Reddit:

quote:

They asked me to license it and I hesitated because of the length and because of the active and relatively high quality fan translation. I floated the possibility of cooperating somehow with them and they seemed amicable (pending a specific plan). I then approached Warnis, had a few conversations with him and brainstormed this release paradigm, created a full project presentation (kikakusho, in Japanese), and presented it to the Japanese publisher for their agreement. It was only after this was approved internally that we did the normal licensing contract (which wasn't hard since we'd already done a number of other contracts). All dealings with obtaining the rights to the fan translation, etc, were done straight by us, so as far as the Japanese company is concerned they aren't working "directly" with fan translators (or former ones), but they did approve this release structure with the understanding that they did not want to alienate the current readership/fanbase at all.

I think they understand it's the same thing as when they license a popular web novel: If they force the web novel author to stop posting to syosetsu or to remove the webnovel version from syosetsu, it leaves a bad taste in the fans' mouth and lowers sales of the LN.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
The best isekai story is KonoSuba. I dare you to prove me wrong.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

The Sandman posted:

The best isekai story is KonoSuba. I dare you to prove me wrong.

I must have read about three dozen of the things by now, and I still think Mushoku Tensei does it best.
Only seen KonoSuba animated, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe. it depends on how kumoko ends.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Things KonoSuba has that most isekai novels don't: 1) a protagonist without a completely busted skillset, or even a particularly powerful one; 2) who consequently struggles to accomplish his goals ; 3) said goals do not include enslaving the bitch who dumped him back in high school; 4) no giant stat-blocks obsessively chronicling his greatness; 5) is actually, genuinely funny.

And it accomplishes this despite being, at its core, nerd wish-fulfillment. Kazuya is still a mediocre student dropped into a fantasy world with strongly game-influenced elements and surrounded by beautiful women. Because while those things may be issues with the genre as a whole, they're not actually the reason its so frequently insufferable. (Re:Zero also ticks a lot of these boxes, which I suspect has something to do with both series' popularity on ADTRW.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not that kazuma is amazing; it is just that everyone else is completely terrible.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's not that kazuma is amazing; it is just that everyone else is completely terrible.
You could say the same thing about Gantz and yet it's infinitely worse than most isekai.
(everyone being insufferable assholes that is)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, there were a lot of competent people in gantz until the final arc started and everyone became extra retarded

i dunno why you'd bring up gantz of all things in the wn thread, though.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

darkgray posted:

Mushoku Tensei

What? :psyboom:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

There's a reason someone bought darkgray that avatar, lol.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

I must have read about three dozen of the things by now, and I still think Mushoku Tensei does it best.
Only seen KonoSuba animated, though.

Mushoku Tensei is not good. Like, I guess you could say it's good within the sub-genre of "bad isekai web novels with harems and OP protagonists", but that's not exactly glowing praise.

Probably the best isekai WNs I've read are Konosuba, Kumoko, and Re:Zero, in no real order. They're the only ones that I can read without constantly being aware of the fact that I'm reading something written by an amateur.

Rangpur posted:

Things KonoSuba has that most isekai novels don't: 1) a protagonist without a completely busted skillset, or even a particularly powerful one; 2) who consequently struggles to accomplish his goals ; 3) said goals do not include enslaving the bitch who dumped him back in high school; 4) no giant stat-blocks obsessively chronicling his greatness; 5) is actually, genuinely funny.

And it accomplishes this despite being, at its core, nerd wish-fulfillment. Kazuya is still a mediocre student dropped into a fantasy world with strongly game-influenced elements and surrounded by beautiful women. Because while those things may be issues with the genre as a whole, they're not actually the reason its so frequently insufferable. (Re:Zero also ticks a lot of these boxes, which I suspect has something to do with both series' popularity on ADTRW.)

Yeah, I think Re:Zero and Konosuba might literally be the only two isekai WNs I can think of without an overpowered protagonist. There's Grimgar too, but I think that's just an LN?

Grouchio posted:

You could say the same thing about Gantz and yet it's infinitely worse than most isekai.
(everyone being insufferable assholes that is)

Gantz is bad, but I don't think I'd go as far as saying it's worse than most isekai WNs.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is the Overlord LN not good to you, considering that I really liked the first season?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Mushoku Tensei is not good. Like, I guess you could say it's good within the sub-genre of "bad isekai web novels with harems and OP protagonists", but that's not exactly glowing praise.

Probably the best isekai WNs I've read are Konosuba, Kumoko, and Re:Zero, in no real order. They're the only ones that I can read without constantly being aware of the fact that I'm reading something written by an amateur.

I don't really think you're qualified to criticize the quality of the writing when you've been reading machine-translated summaries or whatever it is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

darkgray posted:

I don't really think you're qualified to criticize the quality of the writing when you've been reading machine-translated summaries or whatever it is.

mushoku tensei is gross as heck regardless of the translation quality

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

I'm talking about writing more in terms of plot, characterization, etc (and you can also sometimes get some sense of quality of prose even if the translation is poor). Also, if you're referring to the Re:Zero quick translations posted earlier, those are actually surprisingly good. I would put them in probably the top 5-10% of WN translations I've read, simply by virtue of the fact that the translator is obviously a fluent English speaker (which is more than I can say for a lot of WN translations, which I have a hunch are translated by ESL people).

Like, I won't deny that Mushoku Tensei is superior to stuff like Shield Hero, Re:Monster, Arifureta, etc, but those titles are all part of a genre that is inherently deeply flawed. If I had to pick the best "OP protagonist with harem" wish fulfillment WN, it would probably be Sevens (I realize Sevens isn't exactly isekai, but it's similar enough).

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I'm talking about writing more in terms of plot, characterization, etc (and you can also sometimes get some sense of quality of prose even if the translation is poor). Also, if you're referring to the Re:Zero quick translations posted earlier, those are actually surprisingly good. I would put them in probably the top 5-10% of WN translations I've read, simply by virtue of the fact that the translator is obviously a fluent English speaker (which is more than I can say for a lot of WN translations, which I have a hunch are translated by ESL people).

Like, I won't deny that Mushoku Tensei is superior to stuff like Shield Hero, Re:Monster, Arifureta, etc, but those titles are all part of a genre that is inherently deeply flawed. If I had to pick the best "OP protagonist with harem" wish fulfillment WN, it would probably be Sevens (I realize Sevens isn't exactly isekai, but it's similar enough).

It goes both ways, though. People here tend to praise Honzuki as good, but blastron is making significant changes when he's translating. The writing of the original, as prose goes, is pretty second rate for Narou.

MT doesn't exactly have strong prose, but it's clear and concise, and very engaging. It also has some of the most distinctly unique character voices I've found in web novels, even if most of that probably gets scraped off in translation. Plotwise it might come a step under Re:Zero, but then it doesn't get dragged out to all hell as much, plus Re:Zero suffers from a weak 5th arc (which I'm guessing you've yet to read) and extremely poorly written battle sequences that are just painful to read. MT also manages to develop a vivid world with very little blatant exposition, which happens to be one of Honzuki's strengths as well.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Isn't MT the series with the perverted infant that made other people uncomfortable? I didn't feel like continuing after that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
is this some kind of self-imposed challenge to have every objectively incorrect opinion at the same time?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darkgray is just humblebragging that he can read the originals

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Is the Overlord LN not good to you, considering that I really liked the first season?
Overlord has its own set of baggage, but I appreciate the author at least doesn't pretend the stuff Ainz gets up to is 'for the greater good' somehow. (That I know of; I haven't read the original of any of them.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Overlord has its own thread and the LNs were discussed in it, at least last time there was anything to discuss. I think the next novel is due out soon and the fan translating it is really fast.

If you're reading it there's a graphic and rather mean-spirited section near the end of the seventh novel but it really doesn't amount to much. It's not creepy or skeevy like, say Mushoku Tensei, it just let's its very evil cast go a few steps too far on screen.