Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spacebump posted:

http://www.operationsports.com/news/908385/nba-playgrounds-releases-on-may-9-for-20-new-details-gameplay-video/
NBA playgrounds comes out next week and operation sports is claiming it won't have micro transactions. I'm going to get the Switch version and will let the thread know if it's worth buying. I was really worried it would be ruined by micro transactions.

I have heard both good and bad things about it so I look forward to your review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Turdsdown Tom posted:

G: the Celtics are up 2-0 after being nearly exposed as frauds by the Bulls

V: the Celtics appear to be slightly less fraudulent than they were in the first round, but being up 2-0 ain't poo poo in the NBA. what are everyone else's thoughts? celtics as contenders? or are they paper tigers ready to collapse at any second

They're a solid team that benefited from the Cavs not giving a poo poo during the regular season. Their 1-seed is as fraudulent as Atlanta's a couple years back (actually moreso because at least ATL won 60 games), but "second best team in the East that might take a couple games off the Cavs in the playoffs" is a great season for them. If they were the 2-seed, no one would expect more than that from them.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
drat I completely forgot atlanta was a 1 seed

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

nachos posted:

drat I completely forgot atlanta was a 1 seed

You forget because Lebron 8-0ed them the last 2 years

Actually the 1st seed Hawks was more embarrassing because they lost 4-0 to Lebron without Love and they were still playing Mosgov I think.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Atlanta getting swept as the 1 seed was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. TNT kept cutting to people in the stadium crying and poo poo.

edit lol

Space Camp fuckup fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 3, 2017

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

Actually the 1st seed Hawks was more embarrassing because they lost 4-0 to Lebron without Love and they were still playing Mosgov I think.

I just remembered how much the Lakers are paying Mosgov and did a little version of the Antonio Banderas look away from the screen wistfully and smile.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tae posted:

Hadn't the Hawks been massively hosed by injuries at that point though? And not just by the NYPD.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Hadn't the Hawks been massively hosed by injuries at that point though? And not just by the NYPD.

The only major rotation player missing for the Hawks was Thabo, while the Cavs were playing James Jones significant bench minutes. He was the 8th guy in the rotation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Demarre died in one of the games as well

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Speaking of the Hawks

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/859858286119604224

I don't know if I would have been able to name that guy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is Danny ferry available ?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

morestuff posted:

Speaking of the Hawks

Did he even do anything, considering Bud's been in charge of everything since the racist firing?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

morestuff posted:

Speaking of the Hawks

Rooting for Dwight to the Knicks atm.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Tae posted:

Did he even do anything, considering Bud's been in charge of everything since the racist firing?

I think in most cases like that teams still have GMs to make calls, negotiate contracts, navigate the CBA, hire staff etc. that a coach with decision-making power wouldn't have time for

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's not racist to fire white people.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Femur posted:

You can make any excuse you want, but there seems to be little demand outside of these events. I don't mean to insult boxing, I am merely saying people don't demand more because they don't want more. It does not entertain them.

So puting it on floyd or defensive style doesn't make sense since people don't want to watch boxing anyways, and have just finished watching something because of peer pressure.

"I don't mean to insult boxing, I'm just saying it's boring"

euphronius posted:

It's not racist to fire white people.

fire more white people imo

Good Work You Get An HIV
Feb 22, 2016

Turdsdown Tom posted:

G: the Celtics are up 2-0 after being nearly exposed as frauds by the Bulls

V: the Celtics appear to be slightly less fraudulent than they were in the first round, but being up 2-0 ain't poo poo in the NBA. what are everyone else's thoughts? celtics as contenders? or are they paper tigers ready to collapse at any second

Washington is really good at home, so we'll have to see how it works out. I can see the series going to game 7 (Boston fan)

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

This guy attempts to quantify individual defense, and it looks like his stats match the eye test, for the most part. SportsVU has been a godsend, honestly

http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.com/2017/02/06/individual-defensive-ratings-draymond-embiid-and-giannis-on-top/

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Atlanta getting swept as the 1 seed was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. TNT kept cutting to people in the stadium crying and poo poo.

edit lol

the shocking part is that Atlanta had a fan who cared that much

I have genuine respect for the couple of awesome Atlanta posters on here, but on the whole, I don't know of any city where the fans have supported their sports teams less than Atlanta over the years.

Some other cities fail to support particular teams, but the 5 million people in that metro area don't support anything.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Spacebump posted:

Rooting for Dwight to the Knicks atm.

Oh my god can you imagine

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

predicto posted:

the shocking part is that Atlanta had a fan who cared that much

I have genuine respect for the couple of awesome Atlanta posters on here, but on the whole, I don't know of any city where the fans have supported their sports teams less than Atlanta over the years.

Some other cities fail to support particular teams, but the 5 million people in that metro area don't support anything.

Atlanta is mostly a city of transplants and poor people.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Hawks did build the first genuine local interest they ever had with the 60 win season and while the result of them losing to the Cavs was very likely, it probably wouldn't have been so bad without the NYPD disruption.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

"I don't mean to insult boxing, I'm just saying it's boring"

into the loving sun

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

speaking of

https://twitter.com/joehaden23/status/859362453439868928

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

into the loving sun

But our fair complexions!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
go caves

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kobe's been helping with IT after game 2 against the Bulls.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Declan MacManus posted:

Atlanta is mostly a city of transplants and poor people.

Lots of metro areas loosely fit that description. DC is extremely transient but it supports the Redskins like crazy despite the worst ownership in sports and endless years of failure. LA is transient and hasn't supported football, but but at least it regularly supports the Lakers and Dodgers. Miami is transient but it has always backed the Dolphins. Denver is transient but it loves all its sports teams.

Atlanta doesn't support anything.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Don't the Hawks also have bad marketing? Bad local marketing can really hurt a team. I remember in 06 when the (NOLA) Hornets used to market going to games to see visiting players.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i honestly would take noah and his dead legs and horrible contract off the knicks if it somehow allowed dwight to go to new york because noah owns even if he can't play basketball anymore and the bulls will never win anything again

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Don't the Hawks also have bad marketing? Bad local marketing can really hurt a team. I remember in 06 when the (NOLA) Hornets used to market going to games to see visiting players.

No one cares about the Falcons either. It's a very college place.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good thing the NHL never put a team in Atlanta. Wow.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Looking forward to NBA Playgrounds as well, I have been avoiding game play videos on the advice of people who have watched them saying the people playing are truly terrible.

Also everyone should listen to Windhorst react to Zach Lowe reading out LMA's box score on the latest Lowe Post, it is about 33 minutes in. It is the weirdest 'oh' sound, like he was told the box score at the same time he did a really satisfying poo poo

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tae posted:

No one cares about the Falcons either. It's a very college place.

Atlanta is the 9th biggest metro area in the country, I'm sure they have enough NBA fans in the city to get a good crowd. A few years ago a friend was dating someone who did marketing for the Hawks. Their knowledge of the team they were supposed to be marketing was almost 0. We need Hotlanta Man to come out of posting retirement and give his thoughts Hawks' issues.

edit: love of college sports is probably a factor for sure but I would think it can't be the only one.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 4, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Hahahaha that motherfucking Bulls press conference.

It was like an hour of GarPax throwing Fred Hoiberg under the bus, but still not firing him as then they wouldn't have a punching bag.

https://twitter.com/vgoodwill/status/859806225885745152

They also kind of trashed Jimmy for not fitting into Fred's style. Kind of sounds like Jimmy won't be back next year.

Basically the press conference was "it's everyone else's fault we suck".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

fire all white people imo
Samoans can be the new NCAA coaches and we'll have the Kurds run Wall Street

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Declan MacManus posted:

Without white people playing defense steph curry would have hit a deep three and won the finals in 2016 you should reconsider this bias

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

EvanTH posted:

Without white people playing defense steph curry would have hit a deep three and won the finals in 2016 you should reconsider this bias

That was actually lebron who is black

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Niwrad posted:

They also kind of trashed Jimmy for not fitting into Fred's style. Kind of sounds like Jimmy won't be back next year.

Basically the press conference was "it's everyone else's fault we suck".

Come on Bulls, pull the trigger on a Butler/Matthews + pick swap deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

euphronius posted:

That was actually lebron who is black

Nooo without LeBron he would have taken it to the rim

• Locked thread