Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just wanted to drop in and say that I have keys for both Saint's Row 2 and Stronghold Crusader HD (the first one) if anyone fancies them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'll take the Stronghold Crusader HD if it's not took. PM me if you like.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

doctorfrog posted:

I'll take the Stronghold Crusader HD if it's not took. PM me if you like.

Sent to you in a PM.

I still have a Saint's Row 2 code if anyone missed the giveaway.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Bloodly posted:

It's gonna be weird, really. Because the Advanced is the production model of Vader's TIE, which was made/modified specially(It had shields because it needed no life support because he already HAS a life support suit). Which would mean that they started production models with extra stuff well before Yavin...and if they'd had that quality, they'd have USED it.

I mean, if we go by X-wing then they had at least three. Two and a half?

But seriously though, you're right. For some reason the concept that Rebels was set prior to the movies completely slipped my mind.

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005
If no one has claimed the Saints Row 2 code, I'd appreciate it. End of semester craziness made it slip my mind.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
So, which are good Star Wars games besides the KOTORS and the X-Wing series?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

So, which are good Star Wars games besides the KOTORS and the X-Wing series?

on gog or in general

dark forces 2: jedi knight and jedi knight 2: jedi outcast
republic commando
rogue squadron
galactic battlegrounds is a good age of empire 2 reskin
episode 1 racer is fun :shobon:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
GOG has a big May the Fourth sale on Star Wars right now. I should have mentioned that. I'm primarily interested in that.

Looks like I'll get the Jedi Knight series. The only one I've played was Academy, and what little I remember is that the story and level design were completely forgettable, although the lightsaber combat was nice. I hope the earlier parts are better.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Rebellion is obtuse as gently caress but I really enjoy it.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood

edit, also:
Conquests of Camelot: The Search for the Grail

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 4, 2017

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Pretty interesting running theme in the screenshot selection there.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I am so happy right now!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Fairly sure that I just pissed myself... with joy, of course.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

on gog or in general

republic commando
rogue squadron

KOTOR still holds up really well, I just replayed it.

What I wouldn't give for Rogue Squadron 2 to get a PC version. That game was incredible.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

gently caress. Yes.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'm sure this has been asked a ton so sorry, but I just got x wing and tie fighter thanks to the sale. I want to play the collector's CD editions, right?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

fast cars loose anus posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a ton so sorry, but I just got x wing and tie fighter thanks to the sale. I want to play the collector's CD editions, right?

we did talk about this on the last page, yeah

OAquinas posted:

This. The sound in the 1998 one is basically the SW theme, flatly looped. The sound in 1995 is reactive to events--sad chimes when you wingman bites it, music cues when reinforcements or enemies hyperspace in, triumphant music when a capital ship blows or an objective is achieved...it's really a reactive part of the background and with the warp-in cues it helps situational awareness too.

I mean, the 1998 one looks better, no question, but it just feels off.

do you want bitmap textures à la X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter or baller hot MIDI music that's built on the idea that, basically, you can smoothly fade any two pieces of classical music together on the fly?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Likely been covered already, but are there any widescreen mods or something to take advantage of 1920x1080 or better yet 1920x1200 monitors in X-Wing vs Tie Fighter? Finally going to get round to playing Balance of Power after all these years.

EDIT: drat, looks like I need to plug in my Xbox 360 controller just to get this to run.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 4, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I was going to pick up some more of the Star Wars games, but I'm a bit skeptical on a couple of them. I own Tie Fighter on CD-ROM, and X-Wing I've always been leery of because of it's difficulty (specifically the incredibly difficult 'Protect the Medical Frigate' mission), though the recent X-Wing XWVM mod intrigues me. I recall that X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter was mostly focused around multiplayer. Rebel Assault I recall being derided for just being a bad FMV shooting gallery. I don't know anything about Rouge Squadron 3D, and I'd like to try Shadows of the Empire, but I'm wondering if it runs properly.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

XW v TF includes Balance of Power so you should be good there. I'm trying to find out how to get the most out of it for this playthrough.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

XW v TF includes Balance of Power so you should be good there. I'm trying to find out how to get the most out of it for this playthrough.

I forgot about the Balance of Power expansion. However, I get the impression that Balance of Power isn't as fleshed out or as well presented as the campaigns in the other games (it looks like it's mostly just text screens in-between missions).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

on gog or in general

republic commando
rogue squadron

I thought this post meant the infinitely frustrating pod racer game would be there. sadly no :(
Is the escapists worth getting? all on sale right now.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ilmucche posted:

I thought this post meant the infinitely frustrating pod racer game would be there. sadly no :(
Is the escapists worth getting? all on sale right now.

escapists wasn't fun for me, I was expecting more combat and less puzzles but it's more or less a randomly generated puzzle game. I tried stealing a key from a guard I knocked out and without anything else happening I got a popup that said "We traced the stolen key to you! You are in solitary for a few days!", like....lmao what I had 10 seconds to do something before the guard woke up and tattled on me and autobanned me.

it's bad

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Does someone have a good guide on how to install the various fan upgrades and graphics fixes on the GOG version of Jedi Knight? I found a pretty comprehensive guide, but it claims they won't work on the GOG version and recommends :filez:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

ilmucche posted:

So disappointing considering that it was such a fun game that still holds up.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dotemu store and all downloads there die in three weeks.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Why?

And does this affect anything we own on Steam/GOG etc? Surely not.

EDIT - Full post from them here:
http://store.dotemu.com/fr/forums/dotemu-discussions/news/the-dotemu-online-store-is-closing-fermeture-de-la-boutique-dotemu

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

All I ever got from that site was Hardwar and some free platformer called Ristar.

As far as I know, this is the only place where you can buy a working, digital version of Hardwar. If you're any degree of space sim-fan, you owe yourself to get it while it lasts.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

THE BAR posted:

All I ever got from that site was Hardwar and some free platformer called Ristar.

As far as I know, this is the only place where you can buy a working, digital version of Hardwar. If you're any degree of space sim-fan, you owe yourself to get it while it lasts.

Ristar is awesome; that alone justifies that sites existence.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

jivjov posted:

Ristar is awesome; that alone justifies that sites existence.

It looked hectic and I got scared. :(

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

THE BAR posted:

It looked hectic and I got scared. :(

Ristar is real loving good guy

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Managed to snag a copy of Witcher 3 (just the base game, no expansions or anything) from a local big box retailer, who had it on discount for under $20.

Now I just need to do a playthrough of all three Witcher games. :v:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

AbstractNapper posted:

Also, it seems that GOG won't be able to fix the more than 4 physical cores (and probably Intel-only) CPU issue for The Saboteur. They thought it would be a straight forward fix, but it turns out that no it isn't.
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_the_saboteur_1d172/post223

So, for now, the only workaround I know of, is to limit the physical cores to 4 from the BIOS.

Quoting this from a while back, but in this gog thread people found a more practical solution to the "more than 4 physical cores" problem that didn't allow the game to launch at all.
There is an unofficial patch or a patched exe you can download, but apparently the solution is simply modifying a byte value in the Saboteur.exe file with a hex editor.
https://www.gog.com/forum/the_saboteur/game_does_not_start_at_all

^^ look for the latest posts there.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Did they ever fix the problem with the map screen being kinda messed up for some people?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

cool new Metroid game posted:

Did they ever fix the problem with the map screen being kinda messed up for some people?

I never had issues with the map. The gog version fixed the map issues of the original / EA version, if that's what you are talking about.

I am not aware of another map screen issue for the gog version, but perhaps I missed it because it didn't affect me.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

that's cool. I have a copy on Origin but the last time I tried it the map was kinda hosed up. nice to see GOG fixing something that EA can't be hosed to do.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

Quoting this from a while back, but in this gog thread people found a more practical solution to the "more than 4 physical cores" problem that didn't allow the game to launch at all.
There is an unofficial patch or a patched exe you can download, but apparently the solution is simply modifying a byte value in the Saboteur.exe file with a hex editor.
https://www.gog.com/forum/the_saboteur/game_does_not_start_at_all

^^ look for the latest posts there.

Is there any chance GOG will apply the patch to the game to their installer? I've wanted to play The Saboteur for a long time, but I've been skeptical about picking it up because I didn't want to mess around with disabling CPU cores. I'm tempted to buy the game now and try the patch, but I'm curious if anyone here has tried it and can verify how well it works.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 12, 2017

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Max Wilco posted:

Is there any chance GOG will apply the patch to the game to their installer? I've wanted to play The Saboteur for a long time, but I've been skeptical about picking it up because I didn't want to mess around with disabling CPU cores. I'm tempted to buy the game now and try the patch, but I'm curious if anyone here has tried it and can verify how well it works.

I tried it, so I can verify it worked with an i7 5930k (6 cores). The last post in that GOG forum thread about using an hex editor is mine.

To be clear. I didn't run any patcher executable. I only compared the "already patched exe" with my original and then using HxD I applied the change to the original exe (which is essentially the same as if I have had overwritten it with the patched exe).

Before this, I was only able to run the game if I had 2 out of 6 cores disabled from the BIOS.

I haven't had any other issues with the GOG version of the game (I haven't finished it, but I've played for more than a few hours).

No idea if GOG will patch the game, or if they are aware of this new fix. But, I don't see why they wouldn't do it... eventually.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

While we're on the subject of mid-2000s EA GTA clones, when the gently caress is somebody gonna re-release The Godfather?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tim Burns Effect posted:

While we're on the subject of mid-2000s EA GTA clones, when the gently caress is somebody gonna re-release The Godfather?

When someone makes the publisher an offer they can't refuse :colbert:.