Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So, while I know it's completely ridiculous and futile, mock drafting is actually kind of hard to do, especially outside of the lottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1774915-source-thomas-bryant-will-sign-with-an-agent

Thomas Bryant has signed an agent, bold move for a guy predicted to go in the 2nd round.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rick posted:

So, I can't find this direct quote, but I've seen more than one person reference it, and, if you google search the quote, it hits Ford's mock draft so maybe this was said. Also, maybe this was fake news.

But apparently of the top 4 teams only one that has a "55% of selecting first" has Fultz #1 on their board.

I have a feeling the Celtics might pick Jackson

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Charlz Guybon posted:

I have a feeling the Celtics might pick Jackson

If their pick falls to #2 or #3 sure, but I have a hard time seeing them pass on Fultz considering their budget/guard situation and the :LeBron timeline:.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know virtually nothing about Brown or Jackson. Can one of them play the 2 or 4?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

ButtWolf posted:

I know virtually nothing about Brown or Jackson. Can one of them play the 2 or 4?

They both look like they could guard 1-4, but they're 3s at heart.

I don't think Boston takes him with the #1 unless there's a trade and one or more of Smart, Brown, Crowder get moved.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Neither can play the 4 now, Brown could maybe if he adds muscle. Jackson should be able to play the 2 or 3.

Best case scenario Jackson who would be able to create his shot by attacking the basket although you don't see much of that in the Celtics offense outside of IT. Fultz would probably be easier just to plug into that since he does a lot of what Boston already does.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah Jackson played 4 at Kansas with the small ball thing and it was awesome to watch but there's quite a big difference between guarding a college 4 and guarding Blake Griffin.

I'm a complete Kansas homer and I'd draft Fultz over Jackson and even as loathe as I am to admit it, probably Ball too.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

kiimo posted:

Yeah Jackson played 4 at Kansas with the small ball thing and it was awesome to watch but there's quite a big difference between guarding a college 4 and guarding Blake Griffin.

I'm a complete Kansas homer and I'd draft Fultz over Jackson and even as loathe as I am to admit it, probably Ball too.

It definitely all depends on how the lottery falls.

I think any team who gets 1 should draft Fultz no matter what, but I could see a team like Minnesota or Phoenix valuing Jackson over Ball

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ButtWolf posted:

There's barely any difference between 2 and 3 and they should be able to play with one another if that's what you mean.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

aBagorn posted:

I think any team who gets 1 should draft Fultz no matter what, but I could see a team like Minnesota or Phoenix valuing Jackson over Ball

Jackson is a "criminal" so I don't think Phoenix will draft him unless Sarver somehow doesn't find out about it.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeimosRising posted:

There's barely any difference between 2 and 3 and they should be able to play with one another if that's what you mean.

Yeah, i just equate sg's to being faster generally. Like I said, I knew nothing about them. Boston is in a tricky spot where they could trade for PG and a Robin Lopezy rebounder and contend probably. Or completely go young and prep for 4 years from now.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 2, 2017

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I wouldn't hate the Celtics grabbing Ball just because he has a better chance of developing successfully off the ball next to Isaiah Thomas

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

aBagorn posted:

Ainge seems like the kind of guy who'd be repelled by Ball's dad, so I don't see the Celtics taking him.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

Ainge seems like the kind of guy who'd be repelled by Ball's dad, so I don't see the Celtics taking him.

Ainge and Lavar would engage in fisticuffs within the first 15 minutes of meeting each other.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

I wouldn't hate the Celtics grabbing Ball just because he has a better chance of developing successfully off the ball next to Isaiah Thomas

I worry that he needs so much work that the Celtics couldn't find him minutes. Although maybe the Celtics are the team that finally breaks the seal on sending top 10 players down to the D-league for regular minutes.

I really do think Phoenix is the best spot for him. Booker is happy to run and can do all the halfcourt offense like a lot of Chriss's weaknesses are hidden when the Suns create tempo.

I guess Bledsoe would be pissed again but when has that ever stopped Phoenix from doing something? Also Dragan Bender is against that whole running thing, which might be a more serious thing to consider.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

I worry that he needs so much work that the Celtics couldn't find him minutes. Although maybe the Celtics are the team that finally breaks the seal on sending top 10 players down to the D-league for regular minutes.

Didn't Memphis do that with Thabeet

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

Creating with the ball is like, Lonzo Ball's best skill though?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Creating with the ball is like, Lonzo Ball's best skill though?

In transition. Not in half-court.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

IcePhoenix posted:

Didn't Memphis do that with Th*beet

Don't speak his name

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Didn't Memphis do that with Thabeet

You are right, they did.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/859480082771046403

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sitting here re-thinking my "Celtics need Fultz or Ball" prediction. Josh Jackson would have been clutch in that game last night and I am no longer sure you ever want to take the ball out of Thomas' hands.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

kiimo posted:

Sitting here re-thinking my "Celtics need Fultz or Ball" prediction. Josh Jackson would have been clutch in that game last night and I am no longer sure you ever want to take the ball out of Thomas' hands.

I think Fultz could give you more off ball than Bradley does.

Like a lot more.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What a shame to move Fultz off ball

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't think Boston would have to move whoever they draft completely off the ball.

Like the reason the Lakers have problems with this draft if they have a pick is they have Russell, Clarkson, Randle, (if he's still there) Nick Young, even Ingram right now are guys who need to be on the ball. Boston really only has IT so another guy with the ball could be perfectly fine.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Rick posted:

I don't think Boston would have to move whoever they draft completely off the ball.

Like the reason the Lakers have problems with this draft if they have a pick is they have Russell, Clarkson, Randle, (if he's still there) Nick Young, even Ingram right now are guys who need to be on the ball. Boston really only has IT so another guy with the ball could be perfectly fine.

Yeah, when I said off ball I didn't mean he would never handle the ball, but it would be a primary/secondary scenario

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It only has one year left on his deal right ?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

It only has one year left on his deal right ?

IT, Bradley, and Smart deals are all up after next season.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well then they better draft ball handlers lol.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Depending what happens down the road they may decide there is a ceiling that comes with IT due to his defensive issues and that they don't want to shell out a ton of money to keep him anyway. Fultz would at least keep that option open in addition to giving them the best prospect in the draft

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You best believe that if the Celtics get steam rolled by the Cavs and ITs defense sucks (it will) you best believe the Celtics are not going to max out a 5'7" point guard who is going to be 30.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Deron Williams is going to make his comeback by doing what he used to do best, bullying smaller PGs who were by all rights better than him

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

You best believe that if the Celtics get steam rolled by the Cavs and ITs defense sucks (it will) you best believe the Celtics are not going to max out a 5'7" point guard who is going to be 30.

Did you wanna throw a couple more best believes in there?

I bet Boston throws their chequebook at Paul if they decline to re-sign Thomas, though. They have a fuckton of space.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Paul played a huge role in renegotiating the CBA in a way that allows teams to re-sign star veterans to massive contracts I don't think he's actually gonna leave

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MourningView posted:

Paul played a huge role in renegotiating the CBA in a way that allows teams to re-sign star veterans to massive contracts I don't think he's actually gonna leave

I think he was talking about Paul George?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

Not sure how he'd be an alternative to Thomas and the post he quoted was talking about Thomas' limits defensively. But, maybe, i guess?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 4, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kibner posted:

Nope, meant Chris Paul. I figure Boston wants a superstar PG. Didn't know about the labour stuff though, that's interesting. That all said, I'd not rule out them pursuing George, because George can play a bunch of positions AND he gives them a #1 scoring option who can go on the rides at Six Flags.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 4, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MourningView posted:

Not sure how he'd be an alternative to Thomas and the discussion was the post he quoted was talking about Thomas' limits defensively. But, maybe, i guess?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Nope, meant Chris Paul. I figure Boston wants a superstar PG. Didn't know about the labour stuff though, that's interesting. That all said, I'd not rule out them pursuing George, because George can play a bunch of positions AND he gives them a #1 scoring option who can go on the rides at Six Flags.

Oh. I thought he wanted Paul George and then draft Fultz to take Thomas' place. Shows what I know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kibner posted:

Oh. I thought he wanted Paul George and then draft Fultz to take Thomas' place. Shows what I know!

I mean, your idea isn't bad! A core of George, Horford, and Fultz could really do some damage. Especially with how bad the East is.

• Locked thread