Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Anyone who loses here is out for good. Either Soma's definitely not going to lose or this manga is going for a major swerve (it's not gonna swerve).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Could it be that having her strong suit drawn flustered her somewhat? I'm not saying she's letting him win on purpose or anything, but she was visibly bothered when she saw he'd picked soba for the theme, and I'd say it's not inconceivable that on some level she's throwing the match.

I mean, she's an artisan who's incredibly proud of her skills, so there's no force on Earth that's going to stop her making the best drat soba she can manage, but maybe that's all she's going to do. It's technically perfect, but lacks creative flair, which allows Soma to eke out a win with creativity or originality.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

By picking out when he saw it

Doesn't the very next page have a panel where you can see part of his shocked reaction face

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It could be that the protagonist of this cooking manga is, like, really good at cooking.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Alacron posted:

Anyone who loses here is out for good. Either Soma's definitely not going to lose or this manga is going for a major swerve (it's not gonna swerve).

They're eliminated from the tournament, but they aren't expelled or anything. Team Soma can win without Soma, meaning his loss isn't technically apocalyptic. And depending on how you interpret the rules, he might even still be allowed to support Erina or whoever even after being eliminated, so it wouldn't write him out of the rest of the arc either.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Begemot posted:

It could be that the protagonist of this cooking manga is, like, really good at cooking.

You raise an interesting point

Though I can pretty easily see Soma just getting cold beaten here and all the focus being on the rest of the gang

Notice: None of this first three actually did anything to help each other, did they? Or rather we didn't see any of it on Soma's side, he just kind of fired off in a direction

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Patware posted:

You raise an interesting point

Though I can pretty easily see Soma just getting cold beaten here and all the focus being on the rest of the gang

Notice: None of this first three actually did anything to help each other, did they? Or rather we didn't see any of it on Soma's side, he just kind of fired off in a direction

Not unless Isshiki or the other rebel added something to Souma's dish on the sly without the readers seeing.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

There's no way he's losing in a single elimination tournament, but I think it's a pity the author set it up that way. A narrow loss for Souma wouldn't even be a poor decision here--if he throws tradition out the window and still comes within a hair's breadth of defeating one of the elite 10 in her area of absolute mastery, it throws Azami's entire philosophy into question. (It also tees up the other members of their team to demonstrate they're *all* a serious threat to the status quo by winning the two remaining matches.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rangpur posted:

There's no way he's losing in a single elimination tournament, but I think it's a pity the author set it up that way. A narrow loss for Souma wouldn't even be a poor decision here--if he throws tradition out the window and still comes within a hair's breadth of defeating one of the elite 10 in her area of absolute mastery, it throws Azami's entire philosophy into question. (It also tees up the other members of their team to demonstrate they're *all* a serious threat to the status quo by winning the two remaining matches.)

Well to be fair. The first round being a cleansweep for the rebels is pretty easy to see given that two former elite tens are going right now. (One of them considered only inferior to Rindou and Eishi.)

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Alacron posted:

Why is she wearing a frond of leafs or possibly a ring of horsehair as her skirt.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rangpur posted:

Eh that's weak writing. Don't throw it into question, they already did that by passing those bullshit tests. Destroy Azami's philosophy. Annihilate it. Beat thousand-year traditions with stuff you can get at a mini mart.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yeah, Souma losing this match is super unlikely to happen for a host of reasons.

Really, I think the reason this battle is currently feeling underwhelming is that we haven't actually gained anything from watching Souma's battle so far. Oh, wow, he beat classical style and impeccable technique with improvisation and unexpected technical/cuisine fusion. The same way he always does. It's not bad, and watching the food get made is a delicious as always.

The problem is that he's currently teamed up with Isshiki, who we've never seen be serious ever, who just declared culinary fatwa upon rondo dude, and the mysterious other member of the Elite 10 who we know all but nothing about who was kicked out by Azami. Two far more interesting and informative battles. I'm sure we'll see some development on those fronts, but you don't drop that serious eel slicing splash page and then walk away. Rondo guy insulted Polar Star and Naked Apron has vowed serious cooking in response. I just can't care that much about gourmet top ramen right now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm in the Souma loses camp. Him losing here doesn't mean expulsion. It just means that he's not going to have any more cooking matches for the rest of the arc (at least not without something happening). IMO, that's not just not the worst thing, but it may be great since it'll give a lot more focus to everyone else while Souma can be on the sidelines giving tips or making quips with Alice.

The flashback with Isshiki sorta spoils this somewhat though since it foreshadows him facing at least one more Elite because of training against their specialties.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i suspect they will sweep the first round and then barely squeak through most of the following rounds.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Pewdiepie posted:

Why is she wearing a frond of leafs or possibly a ring of horsehair as her skirt.

I think the author may answer: "why not?"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Pewdiepie posted:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=tassel+skirt

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

I had to go back and make sure that wasn't one of the imaginary outfits.

I didn't like before, but it's a cute outfit.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I like to imagine they're getting the Soma fight out of the way first since we all know what's going to happen and then they'll go ham on the battles for the previously unseen cooks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Eej posted:

I like to imagine they're getting the Soma fight out of the way first since we all know what's going to happen and then they'll go ham on the battles for the previously unseen cooks.

That could have been done without relegating Kinokuni to jobber.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the food is all drawn anyway and i don't know how to cook this stuff

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 4, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Angry Grimace posted:

That could have been done without relegating Kinokuni to jobber.

Budget's too tight, can't afford Hanakana for more than a couple of episodes.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Begemot posted:

Eh that's weak writing. Don't throw it into question, they already did that by passing those bullshit tests. Destroy Azami's philosophy. Annihilate it. Beat thousand-year traditions with stuff you can get at a mini mart.
I admit it would be more effective if the other two members weren't ex-elite 10 themselves. Megumi getting a win here would've been nice. Well, I hope she enjoys her splash panel of Rindou dressed as a sexy Vampire and draining her blood to symbolize her brutal annihilation.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Rangpur posted:

I admit it would be more effective if the other two members weren't ex-elite 10 themselves. Megumi getting a win here would've been nice. Well, I hope she enjoys her splash panel of Rindou dressed as a sexy Vampire and draining her blood to symbolize her brutal annihilation.

I know we will
:pervert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

Budget's too tight, can't afford Hanakana for more than a couple of episodes.
While I don't doubt that sometimes budget can be a concern for anime, nowadays popular voice actors tend to stay on demand because their rates are affordable. Hell, half the reason guys like Takehito Koyasu (Dōjima), Tomokazu Sugita (Eizan), Hanazawa (Kinokuni) and Takahiro Sakurai (Naked-Apron Isshiki-senpai :swoon:) is because they usually like working, even if money is nowhere near what it used to be.

Concerning the manga, I sincerely hope Soma loses.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

While I don't doubt that sometimes budget can be a concern for anime, nowadays popular voice actors tend to stay on demand because their rates are affordable. Hell, half the reason guys like Takehito Koyasu (Dōjima), Tomokazu Sugita (Eizan), Hanazawa (Kinokuni) and Takahiro Sakurai (Naked-Apron Isshiki-senpai :swoon:) is because they usually like working, even if money is nowhere near what it used to be.

Concerning the manga, I sincerely hope Soma loses.

But that would make Isshiki-senpai look sort of dumb for declaring Soma's victory

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i wonder if the question of teammates helping each other out dishwise is still on the table, because a possibility i've been thinking is that souma is about to lose but then isshiki swoops in to have his dish evaluated and it happens to accentuate souma's dish in a way that it wins.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i liked it when soma cooked against alice and they both had that face constantly and clearly held absolutely no malice towards their opponent

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

i liked it when soma cooked against alice and they both had that face constantly and clearly held absolutely no malice towards their opponent

I miss when the competitions in this weren't life or death but everyone still put their game face on

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm ready for this to follow dodgeball rules where winning means you get to bring back someone from your team and we get a guest star appearance from Alice

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Erg posted:

I'm ready for this to follow dodgeball rules where winning means you get to bring back someone from your team and we get a guest star appearance from Alice

Alice has already been guest staring in the last few chapters. That's the whole point of the cage that lets you phase your face through it.

She currently has her own side story where she's trying to solve the mystery of the naked apron.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kirtar posted:

But that would make Isshiki-senpai look sort of dumb for declaring Soma's victory
You mean the guy who's often in a Fundoshi while working the fields or wearing an apron and NOTHING ELSE is afraid to look dumb/silly? The same guy that several people have commented in more than one occasion that he's a goddamn monster that was able to make it into the elite 10 despite seldom taking anything seriously is afraid to be seen as dumb?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
lol

(If you don't know Jose Andres, he has several Michelin starred restaurants in DC)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Get him to read Toriko.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Pewdiepie posted:

Get him to read Toriko.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Are you trying to *kill* the man?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Are you trying to *kill* the man?
Phrase your reply wisely, Swiss, because I did NOT just read you dissing on WSJ best harem of the last 10 years. :toughguy:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So Souma wins, because the loving stage they're in isn't heated during the winter making his hot food preferable to Nene's cold

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

TheKingofSprings posted:

So Souma wins, because the loving stage they're in isn't heated during the winter making his hot food preferable to Nene's cold

There's precedent for this one, at least.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol that's real nice. the azami faction's pointless petty dickery coming back to bite them in the rear end is always good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

is there a new chapter? where are you guys reading it