Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did they not have the votes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

parallelodad posted:

Did they not have the votes?

They already had their strike authorization so they must have worked out a deal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
NPR this morning on the drive in to work said they came to an agreement about revised contracts and payment for shorter shows.

Part of the dispute was over shorter series (8 episode or 13 episode netflix series and other things like that) because their compensation is on a per-episode basis and the payments are made on the assumption that most TV shows will have a typical syndication schedule of 21-28 episodes per season.

So, if you work on Daredevil or 13 Reasons Why for 6 months, you get paid less than half of what someone who spent 6 months writing for network sitcom.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

So, if you work on Daredevil or 13 Reasons Why for 6 months, you get paid less than half of what someone who spent 6 months writing for network sitcom.

Also, after you spend those six months writing for Daredevil you can't find another job until after Daredevil finishes filming because the show has an exclusive hold on you, and since they tend to write all the episodes before filming starts, that's a lot of time to spend sitting around not making money.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why don't the studios just hire writers as staff and salary them?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

parallelodad posted:

Total Wild rear end guess, but probably because they'd have to give them health benefits and poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

howe_sam posted:

Total Wild rear end guess, but probably because they'd have to give them health benefits and poo poo.

I feel like this could still ultimately be cheaper because you'd be hitting less writers in general and they ones you did got would work on multiple things.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

parallelodad posted:

Because :capitalism:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So if the MCU resets after Avengers 4, do you think they'll assume these character are well known enough that they can just recast and tell new stories in a slightly different world?

Though I highly doubt that they're do a hard reset. At most they'd shift the focus to other characters, or maybe recast Iron Man, Cap and Thor if their respective actors don't want to keep going. Honestly I'd feel really upset if we got one Black Panther and one Captain Marvel movie before just chucking out the whole thing.

Yea, pretty much if you ever wonder why they don't just pay their workers better remember "More money for us, gently caress you"

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I feel like there is pretty much a zero percent chance of them wholesale restarting the universe after avengers 4. Why fix what isn't broken? There are tons of legacy characters and other stories they could explore.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I feel like there is pretty much a zero percent chance of them wholesale restarting the universe after avengers 4. Why fix what isn't broken? There are tons of legacy characters and other stories they could explore.

Feige has already ruled out ever rebooting the MCU. They said they would just recast and move on.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Feige has already ruled out ever rebooting the MCU. They said they would just recast and move on.

God I hope they don't gently caress this up. Recast Iron Man -- fine, whatever. Recast Tony Stark and my interest in this franchise is over.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, RDJ isn't an ageless immortal.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Just back from Guardians. Probably agree with a lot of what's been said, it is quite funny but sometimes that gets a bit much when it's trying to lighten the mood during a serious moment.

The part with Rocket explaining to Groot how to use the detonator kind of kills the pacing during the climax.

Also I'm not sure Yondu's death was really earned. If was foreshadowed but it felt a bit cheap to be honest. Still, Rooker was one of my favourite things about the two films. I'm glad we got much more of him in 2, but I'll miss him.

Last thought: I liked the subplot with Gamora and Nebula. I thought it worked well in the overarching theme.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

zoux posted:

You're sure of this? You have a source?

Seriously though, when RDJ is done with playing superhero have Stark pass on the mantel in universe to someone else. That's all I ask for. I don't care if it's Riri Williams or Pepper (which would be awesome imo), or some white dude named Chris -- just don't ask me to pretend that Tony Stark is an 'ageless immortal' who's suddenly a 25-year old in 2025.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gwyneth Paltrow is hated by everyone so it probably won't be Pepper.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hold your tongue or Teen Tony will be a thing

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone involved in the MCU or everyone everyone?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There's like a dozen viable ways in the Marvel universe for a character to deage or swap bodies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yakmouth posted:

Seriously though, when RDJ is done with playing superhero have Stark pass on the mantel in universe to someone else. That's all I ask for. I don't care if it's Riri Williams or Pepper (which would be awesome imo), or some white dude named Chris -- just don't ask me to pretend that Tony Stark is an 'ageless immortal' who's suddenly a 25-year old in 2025.

I have an idea:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So you are saying avengers 4 will be the crossing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hold your tongue or Teen Tony will be a thing

Everyone involved in the MCU or everyone everyone?

Should be everyone everyone.

She regularly recommends stuff that can kill you on her dumb lifestyle site.

But her Hollywood reputation is that she's very difficult to work with.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Edit: ^^^ answered before I asked

Aphrodite posted:

I don't hate Gwyneth Paltrow...

Do you mean in the sense that she's hard to work with?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Have RDJ sell his likeness to Marvel. Next actor will use mocap and they'll use Avatar tech to keep Tony Stark looking like RDJ forever.

Edit: Basically make The Congress a reality.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Yakmouth posted:

Paltrow as Pepper Potts is one of the better romantic interests in any of the Marvel films - or superhero films in general for that matter. I think she's great in the Iron Man movies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It sounds like they are going to emphasize the next level of characters more in the next 'phase' or whatever of the MCU (although he is saying that they are not really doing 'phases' after the unnamed sequel to Infinity War). Characters like Captain Marvel, Black Panther, maybe Dr. Strange are going to be more prominent. That and it sounds like we will have a few more Guardians/Marvel Cosmic films. Probably an Adam Warlock movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I only brought it up because it seemed in my youtube and fb feed there were a bunch of articles and videos that were about "is marvel going to reboot everything after Avengers 4???"

And not all of them were clickbaity as well, but I think its mostly people misunderstanding what Feige said about the direction after 4.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

zoux posted:

So the guy who plays Iron Fist will be around forever then? Bummer.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Yakmouth posted:

I think it may be more about her advocacy (and marketing) of dubious health and beauty poo poo.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

AbsolutelySane posted:

I think it may be more about her advocacy (and marketing) of dubious health and beauty poo poo.

She also comes off as "comically detached rich person" in interviews

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Yakmouth posted:

just don't ask me to pretend that Tony Stark is an 'ageless immortal' who's suddenly a 25-year old in 2025.

So wait, you can handle this in comic books themselves but not in movies? Ok.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Longbaugh01 posted:

So wait, you can handle this in comic books themselves but not in movies? Ok.

Actually, Tony Stark is the spirit of a 1,000-year old woman who just happens to be inhabiting a 13-year old anime girl's body, so it's okay.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BiggerBoat posted:

Paltrow as Pepper Potts is one of the better romantic interests in any of the Marvel films - or superhero films in general for that matter. I think she's great in the Iron Man movies.

Paltrow has said she's out of the MCU until further notice, though, which is why she was written out of Age of Ultron and it was established that Pepper and Tony broke up. Paltrow was tired of playing just Tony Stark's girlfriend and wanted to do more in the plot than be a love interest and damsel in distress.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cythereal posted:

Paltrow has said she's out of the MCU until further notice, though, which is why she was written out of Age of Ultron and it was established that Pepper and Tony broke up. Paltrow was tired of playing just Tony Stark's girlfriend and wanted to do more in the plot than be a love interest and damsel in distress.

She also demanded a full payment for an appearance in Civil War instead of a smaller cameo fee and Marvel said no and took that as an excuse to make her disappearance permanent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She has a Katherine Heigl reputation, but with a lot more successful movies so she still gets work.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hugo Weaving, Natalie Portman, and Paltrow are all still bound by contract to do another movie if Marvel REALLY want to invoke it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hugo Weaving, Natalie Portman, and Paltrow are all still bound by contract to do another movie if Marvel REALLY want to invoke it.
I wish he would come back as Red Skull, but Weaving hated doing that right?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wish he would come back as Red Skull, but Weaving hated doing that right?
Ambivalent I think.

Hugo Weaving, October 2012 posted:

I [signed a multi-picture deal] for Captain America. I think the tendency, with those films, would be to probably not bring a villain back. They might for The Avengers, but I didn’t think I’d be in Captain America 2 or 3. I don’t think Red Skull will be there. And it’s not something I would want to do again. I’m glad I did it. I did sign up for a number of pictures and I suppose, contractually, I would be obliged to, if they forced me to, but they wouldn’t want to force someone to do it, if they didn’t want to. I think I’ve done my dash with that sort of film. It was good to do it and try it out, but to be honest, it’s not the sort of film I seek out and really am excited by. As an actor, to do all sorts of different films is great. It stretches you in different ways. But, I increasingly like to go back to what I used to always do, which is to get involved with projects that I really have a personal affiliation with.

Hugo Weaving, September 2016 posted:

I thought it would be a lot of fun to play a classic über-Nazi, someone who thought Hitler was a pussy! [Laughs] It was fun to play; I enjoyed the outrageousness of the German accent that I employed and I enjoyed the extraordinary mask and costume, even though it was unbelievably hot inside it. I enjoy mask work; I enjoy trying to animate masks and reveal certain things that the mask itself might not reveal. V for Vendetta was another example of that, but there was less animation within that mask versus the Red Skull.

With Marvel, it’s pretty basic stuff: accept the deal and enjoy the ride. It’s not a major stretch for an actor, but on the other hand the difficulty with the Marvel universe is maintaining a link to a human dimension within such an extraordinary, technological CGI universe. In terms of me going back and doing another one, I don’t know. I’m not sure what they’re up to with the Red Skull.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Is Paltrow really obligated to do so? I figured she always had a 3 picture deal and did a one-off cameo in Avengers. Or did Marvel really lock everyone down for 6-7 movies when they first started?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

notthegoatseguy posted:

Is Paltrow really obligated to do so? I figured she always had a 3 picture deal and did a one-off cameo in Avengers. Or did Marvel really lock everyone down for 6-7 movies when they first started?

Yeah, part of the Civil War issue was that Marvel wanted her to do a cameo and pay her an appearance fee, but she wanted a full payment and for it to count as an appearance in her contract so she could renegotiate sooner.

Samuel L. Jackson signed a 9 movie deal after Iron Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

I think I'm okay with none of them coming back. I might've liked another appearance by the Red Skull, but that's ok.

• Locked thread