Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
I've been on meds for 3 days so far. The therapist said most people only get 6 to 8 hours on Vyvanse. That hardly covers a full day at work, let alone the next 6 to 8 hours I'm still up and moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
For a while I was on instant release and was prescribed quarters of a pill every 4 hours. Worked out pretty nicely when my daily dose was spread out over four periods of four hours each. I usually only used it three times in a day so I could be off it at night.

However my psych also suggested it would help calm my mind enough to sleep at night and he was right. I take it when I find my mind racing in bed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Beastyfella posted:

I've been on meds for 3 days so far. The therapist said most people only get 6 to 8 hours on Vyvanse. That hardly covers a full day at work, let alone the next 6 to 8 hours I'm still up and moving.

When I was taking a generic version of Concerta, which definitely was not Concerta, it only lasted about eight hours and my psych was fine with giving me an IR booster. I think that it's a pretty normal practice since ADHD doesn't just go away when you get home from work. You're not a junkie for wanting to have your brain functioning correctly for the whole time you're awake.

For what it's worth, Vyvanse is supposed to last longer at higher doses. I've also split my dose to two times a day, once around 7 and the other around 11, and it worked pretty well.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
One thing i am worried about is i don't know if the productivity boost from adderall is 'real' or if its just a hypomanic phase that druggies constantly seek, since it seems to die down after a couple weeks and i lose that productivity unless i increase my dose. Plus, it seems to have ruined sleep for me-- i haven't taken adderall for a month now, and i still have a hard time staying awake for an entire day, even when i sleep for 12+ hours (which i do rather often). Caffiene is the only thing that seems to counter act it, but i quickly get used to it, and i get to the point where im taking like 400+ mg of it a day and still i just want to sleep

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

One thing i am worried about is i don't know if the productivity boost from adderall is 'real' or if its just a hypomanic phase that druggies constantly seek, since it seems to die down after a couple weeks and i lose that productivity unless i increase my dose. Plus, it seems to have ruined sleep for me-- i haven't taken adderall for a month now, and i still have a hard time staying awake for an entire day, even when i sleep for 12+ hours (which i do rather often). Caffiene is the only thing that seems to counter act it, but i quickly get used to it, and i get to the point where im taking like 400+ mg of it a day and still i just want to sleep

In my experience the productivity boost lasts beyond the first few weeks of euphoria. I don't run around feeling motivated to do every chore and run every errand that I need to, but when I was at work I could clock in, sit at my desk, and do nothing but work for the next five or so hours with no issue. I didn't have to force myself to pay attention to what I was doing, I just naturally and effortlessly stuck with it. Of course, since psych drugs your mileage may vary.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions Turn off the TV. I'll mention to my therapist this week.
At work I'm just generally unproductive some of the time. At home, the negative outcome of being unmedicated is much worse. Also significant more distraction sources and so many more things to keep track of.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

So I start the conserta a few days ago to good effect, but I don't feel driven I just feel not tired and able to settle on something.

Will some of that fade off or are you guys getting a drive from the meds?

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have no artificial drive after a few days, but I do things when I know they need doing, instead of horrible procrastination. I guess the ADHD mantra is "just do it" ( or you'll forget about it and get in trouble later)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Talk about this with your therapist and psychiatrist.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 1, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Do you exercise? The best way to get a good night's sleep is to be loving exhausted

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
having to exercise is the shittiest prognosis. Just get out of bed sooner if you don't feel like making yourself sweaty and achy just for some relief.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I hate when people say "do you exercise" thanks mom

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Exercise can certainly help, but it definitely does get tiresome having people without ADHD constantly asking, "oh have you tried exercise?" yeah sure I mean I get up at ungodly o'clock to get my kid ready for school and then I proceed directly to work where I remain for ten hours before coming home a burned-out wreck, but I'm sure I can squeeze an hour's jog in there somewhere. Thanks for the life-changing advice, Tim from the post office

I think where Adderall is concerned, the answer is often going to be, "Adderall is loving hardcore." That poo poo had me grinding my teeth and snapping at people so much that my grizzled-rear end veteran construction grunt co-workers were approaching me in private to ask if I was okay. It gave me heart palpitations. Sometimes Adderall is just going to beat the poo poo out of you and that's all there is to it.

e: also never ever mix caffeine with Adderall holy poo poo are you trying to gently caress up your blood pressure

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 1, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I am not talking about getting up at the rear end crack o' dawn to work out though. I just mean do something physically exhausting for 15 minutes when you get home. Also I'm not saying I do it either, I am a lazy gently caress. I just recognize that if I want a good night's sleep the best way to do it is gonna be to get off my rear end for a while before I go to bed.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
for the rest of your life if you want good sleep you must experience pain

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Life is pain, in my experience

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
get out of bed earlier and don't nap during the day.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me. I've read that there can be some adjustment time required for Vyvanse, and I must be in the middle of it right now.

Saturday out with the kids was good, but by the time I got back home it had worn off. Back to the regular old self, and getting in arguments because I'm overwhelmed with input in a busy household, forgetting things, etc. After some stuff I don't feel like getting into here, I have been mostly incredibly depressed other than a few breaks here and there.

I see my therapist on Wednesday so hopefully he has some more advice but I feel like poo poo. I just want to curl up in a ball and turn my brain off.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I would kill to be back on Vyvanse, but I lack the energy and motivation.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Welp, I learned a few valuable things.

Must take meds right after waking up every day, so I minimize stuff like this morning's horrible feelings. Not long after my last post, the meds kicked in, they take about an hour+.

I feel much much better now. This means that I definitely will need something to help with the rest of the day, as I will wear off by 1pm or so at the latest and still have 9+ hours to go, most days or I'll still feel like poo poo.

Time to call therapist, and doctor after that I suppose.

I never took any meds besides antibiotics and allergy meds before all this, so this is all very new to me.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Exercise is a good idea anyways, not just to help counteract effects of Adderall or whatever, but also as a good general boost to focus. Broadly speaking I'd do something 1/day and try and do real exercise 3/week. Similar deal w diet, I think it's best to give yourself the best chance possible to be focused + productive. So I'd use drugs as a way to jumpstart the other habits which can you want to have to deal w ADHD.

E: also if you have issues w tooth grinding I've tried magnesium supplements now and it really does work - totally got rid of it for me. Sleeping more and not drinking caffeine also helped.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Elsa posted:

get out of bed earlier and don't nap during the day.

I get up between 5 and 8 in the morning most days. I don't nap during the day and tend to hit the hay around 11. I don't get to sleep due to racing thoughts for another 2 hours. Trying to sleep earlier or later makes no difference. Exercise on the other hand does. Don't assume its as easy for others as it is for you.

The problem I have is that I am severely depressed due to my ADHD symptoms and other factors and have no motivation to get up and running. If I'm getting up early its because I need to get to work. I'm exhausted all day and able to function even less than normal after getting back from work.

When I was exercising (Running, mostly. Managed to get going through some serious willpower on one of my holidays) I was able to sleep a bit better and felt like my mind was feeling more balanced and stable in general but it still wasn't enough to mitigate the severity of my ADHD symptoms so I ended up becoming depressed again. Talk about vicious cycles.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 1, 2017

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I am exceptionally lucky in that I get an hour for lunch, so I go run 3 to 5 miles, come back, change, and get back to my desk job where I only see a few people in person, at most. This is 2 days a week, on a good week along with a very long run on the weekend with my youngest in the stroller.

I'd run every single day if I could, as it calms and energizes me significantly, the farther, the better. I get twitchy when my schedule gets such that I can't run, but I accept that poo poo happens and is out of my control sometimes.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Beastyfella posted:

Welp, I learned a few valuable things.

Must take meds right after waking up every day, so I minimize stuff like this morning's horrible feelings. Not long after my last post, the meds kicked in, they take about an hour+.

I feel much much better now. This means that I definitely will need something to help with the rest of the day, as I will wear off by 1pm or so at the latest and still have 9+ hours to go, most days or I'll still feel like poo poo.

Time to call therapist, and doctor after that I suppose.

I never took any meds besides antibiotics and allergy meds before all this, so this is all very new to me.

Good, continue to ask lots of questions and treat it like an ongoing learning experience. I've been taking Adderall for five years and I'm still tinkering around with dosage amounts and timings, XR vs IR, etc.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Good, continue to ask lots of questions and treat it like an ongoing learning experience. I've been taking Adderall for five years and I'm still tinkering around with dosage amounts and timings, XR vs IR, etc.

took me a year to relearn my life on adderall.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Beastyfella posted:

Yeah, that's about it for me, although I think I have an abnormally fast metabolism? Not sure if it matters for this type of meds. Somehow, I still have a hard time falling asleep at night when I take it early in the morning.

I'll pop one about once a month, as an emergency button when I have important work to do that I've been putting off. It feels like switching on a superpower.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Vyvansetakers -- what's the comedown like? Is there a crash?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Vyvansetakers -- what's the comedown like? Is there a crash?

My experience with vyvanse is that there isn't so much a crash as there is a slow, long-lasting descent through the earth, if you stop taking it. With adderall the crash is pretty fast but with vyvanse if I skipped a couple days I'd be just the gently caress out

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

signalnoise posted:

My experience with vyvanse is that there isn't so much a crash as there is a slow, long-lasting descent through the earth, if you stop taking it. With adderall the crash is pretty fast but with vyvanse if I skipped a couple days I'd be just the gently caress out

I'm talking about the daily comedown as it wears off 6-8 hours after taking it, not withdrawal symptoms if you're not taking sufficient holidays.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm talking about the daily comedown as it wears off 6-8 hours after taking it, not withdrawal symptoms if you're not taking sufficient holidays.

I never noticed any comedown from Vyvanse. It's pretty smooth in how it builds up and drops off.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

On normal days I sense a gradual reduction in focus over about an hour to two, back to my unmedicated baseline. I did have some weird reaction​ (mega anxiety / sadness) over the weekend after having just started on it a few days prior. Seems fine now. Started taking it earlier in the morning than I was, although now the last part of the workday is low productivity.

Trying to establish with a new PCP that is supportive, but first choice not taking my insurance. Second isn't taking on more patients on controlled substances.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Basically non-existent in that time frame

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I hate exercise so much.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Ugh I haven't run at all this week yet. Can't wait to do it tomorrow, supposed to be 98!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

I never noticed any comedown from Vyvanse. It's pretty smooth in how it builds up and drops off.

signalnoise posted:

Basically non-existent in that time frame

Beastyfella posted:

On normal days I sense a gradual reduction in focus over about an hour to two, back to my unmedicated baseline. I did have some weird reaction​ (mega anxiety / sadness) over the weekend after having just started on it a few days prior. Seems fine now. Started taking it earlier in the morning than I was, although now the last part of the workday is low productivity.

Trying to establish with a new PCP that is supportive, but first choice not taking my insurance. Second isn't taking on more patients on controlled substances.

Thanks for the responses.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Been on 54 of conserta for a week, most of the week was great but yesterday I was super spaced out and today I'm quite tired, is that just me ajusting to the med?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

BoneMonkey posted:

Been on 54 of conserta for a week, most of the week was great but yesterday I was super spaced out and today I'm quite tired, is that just me ajusting to the med?

You have gone past the honeymoon period basically. If you haven't taken any prescription stims in the past month or so, taking one will make you a superperson temporarily. When you adjust, you are left with a fraction of what it was, leaving you CAPABLE of focus, but now you have to be your own source of structure and direction.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

signalnoise posted:

You have gone past the honeymoon period basically. If you haven't taken any prescription stims in the past month or so, taking one will make you a superperson temporarily. When you adjust, you are left with a fraction of what it was, leaving you CAPABLE of focus, but now you have to be your own source of structure and direction.

Ah cool that's what I thought it might be. I'm a little unhappy with the tiredness being back though.

Gotta go home and empty the spare room
So I'll see how it is I guess.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Has you sleep been OK for the last few days? If I stay up late a few days in a row I can end up with a zombie day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

The last two day have been ok ish but the 3 weeks before that were not good.

I've always had problems going to sleep, but lately (on the pills) I've been waking up after about 5 hours which is a bit wierd. I'm kinda hoping that will settle out as the excitement wears off.