Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

danbanana posted:

I would definitely put this on your resume. Knowing your presence drastically increases the chances of a buyout should be a bartering point for future job opportunities.

Sorry about this. On a day-to-day basis, do you think this is going to change much for you?

Hard to tell. They say it won't change except for the better. New equipment, better benefits, etc. Time will tell.

Kaiho posted:

Are you still at WW? I'm just intrigued given that they will have a presence at fests like MBCC here in Europe whether the staff attending will take a lot of flak.

I'm still there for the time being. I'm sure people will talk tons of poo poo. Hell Jester King already cancelled all collabs with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Josh Wow posted:

Hell Jester King already cancelled all collabs with us.

"gently caress this poo poo. DUMP IT, MAN!"

That seems kinda hosed up. I get the (half-true) belief that it's us-against-them in this but to pull business- let alone personal- commitments because of a business decision that doesn't directly affect you? gently caress that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

danbanana posted:

That seems kinda hosed up. I get the (half-true) belief that it's us-against-them in this but to pull business- let alone personal- commitments because of a business decision that doesn't directly affect you? gently caress that.

Their statement doesn't really come off that way. Reads as kind but firm http://jesterkingbrewery.com/blog/

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Jester King style is always kind but firm about these situations and considering they are constantly in court, it makes sense that their stance needs to be consistent.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

I'm still there for the time being. I'm sure people will talk tons of poo poo. Hell Jester King already cancelled all collabs with us.

Hang in there man, I really hope benefits etc improve, and you guys get to keep making awesome beer. My company just managed to bring some over and it's gone down super well. It really is impressive stuff.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

What's gonna happen next is that Wicked Weed will get better at making consistent beer for a larger market and the employees will get paid more money and have better benefits. That tends to be the trend with these buyouts. that doesn't happen when craft breweries buy other craft breweries btw

How many brewers stuck around at Goose after they were bought out?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

danbanana posted:

nah gently caress abinbev its a good decision

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Hay what do u guys think of Dogfish Head

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

krustster posted:

i like that i can walk 30 seconds out of my door to drink their beer, otherwise whatever

e: actually the pub exclusives have been pretty good lately

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Josh Wow posted:

I think I'm cursed. 2/3 breweries I've worked at sold out. But don't worry nothing is going to change. Actually it'll be better! Thanks to Budweiser now we have access to all sorts of resources that will allow us to.........:jerkbag:

I feel for you, man. Although I've never tried Wicked Weed (hard to get it here on the west coast), I hear the beer is quite good (especially the sours). I just hope AB InBev doesn't gently caress with the quality of the beer in attempts to get mass distribution like they did with Goose Island. Goose Island's IPA used to be one of my favorites, and now I can distinctly taste a difference in it. More watered down.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

krustster posted:

Haven't bought anything of theirs since I first got into beer. Nothing they make is more appealing than local Pipeworks/Brickstone/Revolution stuff.

Speaking of Brickstone, they put stickers on their can 6 packs that read 17211. I thought it was Julian but the date didn't make sense. After contacting them I found out this supposed to represent 120 days from canning (when it expires). I'm considering passing on their beer in favor of other options in the future because this obfuscation is really annoying (and wtf an IPA/APA should have a best by date of 90 days tops). Am I being a freshie babby?

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

trilljester posted:

I feel for you, man. Although I've never tried Wicked Weed (hard to get it here on the west coast), I hear the beer is quite good (especially the sours). I just hope AB InBev doesn't gently caress with the quality of the beer in attempts to get mass distribution like they did with Goose Island. Goose Island's IPA used to be one of my favorites, and now I can distinctly taste a difference in it. More watered down.

I hear stuff like this a lot, but having tried them before, Goose's mainstream beer sucked pre buyout, now it just sucks in more places and with better competition.

AB has followed a pretty consistent playbook with these breweries - scale up some of their more mass market beers and bring them into wider areas or round out their "Craft Beer Tap Package" that they offer to sports bars, let the breweries keep doing their thing making their barrel aged/sour/whatever the gently caress small batch stuff and get a chunk of the money from both.

Usually it's a winwin and the Goose Island model has proven it - People bitch and moan but BCBS sales keep going up exponentially, and now Goose IPA and 312 are on at every Hooters in the country. $$$ for everyone involved. Beer nerds bitch but will keep lining up for walezbro, and non-nerds just buy the stuff that's on at every tap now since they started getting into dark beers like IPA.

I don't hardline on buyout beer, I generally try to avoid it and prefer the local option if at all possible. But it's a bummer to see one of the brands with more legit credibility going the corporate route.

Firestone has tended to gently not invite breweries to FWIBF once they're AB, I'm wondering if Wicked Weed will get booted off the list for this year or just quietly not invited for 2018.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MunchE posted:

I hear stuff like this a lot, but having tried them before, Goose's mainstream beer sucked pre buyout, now it just sucks in more places and with better competition.

AB has followed a pretty consistent playbook with these breweries - scale up some of their more mass market beers and bring them into wider areas or round out their "Craft Beer Tap Package" that they offer to sports bars, let the breweries keep doing their thing making their barrel aged/sour/whatever the gently caress small batch stuff and get a chunk of the money from both.

Usually it's a winwin and the Goose Island model has proven it -

It's winwin for everyone except the breweries who now don't get a tap handle because AB replaced them with an AB beer in that craft beer tap package down at the local sports bar. The Philly ballpark is an excellent example of watching tap handles that used to go to other stuff wind up on GI kegs instead.

gently caress AB. It's nice for WW that AB won't be loving around with them, but AB's whole thing is to buy a big craft brewer in each market and use that to leverage their way into controlling more of that local market. It's fundamentally not good for craft beer and I won't drink an AB brand now if there's an alternative. I liked WW's sours but oh well, Highway Manor's pouring as well so I'll drink that instead.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Phanatic posted:

It's winwin for everyone except the breweries who now don't get a tap handle because AB replaced them with an AB beer in that craft beer tap package down at the local sports bar. The Philly ballpark is an excellent example of watching tap handles that used to go to other stuff wind up on GI kegs instead.

gently caress AB. It's nice for WW that AB won't be loving around with them, but AB's whole thing is to buy a big craft brewer in each market and use that to leverage their way into controlling more of that local market. It's fundamentally not good for craft beer and I won't drink an AB brand now if there's an alternative. I liked WW's sours but oh well, Highway Manor's pouring as well so I'll drink that instead.

I don't disagree with you and it's why I actively try to buy local options whenever possible. Just looking at the reality of it there's no real loss for the brewery taking the buyout. TBH, the only thing they lose is their street cred, and based on the behavior of Golden Road/Breckenridge/10 Barrel with their PR tour it's kind of embarrassing how they really thought they could just take the buyout and keep all of their "We're part of a small community!" perks.

But two things that always pop up during this poo poo bug me:
"OMG THE BEER IS RUINED NOW" which is rarely the case and most of the time the beer that was widely distroed was already pretty poo poo
Those same people whining that the beer is ruined now not batting an eye to lineup for the next batch of whalez from that same brewery

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

trilljester posted:

there's a now-infrequent poster who brewed at GI and i remember him posting that they couldn't tell the difference between the GI- and AB-brewed beers; AB makes "bad" beers because that's what sells, not because they're not genius brewers

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

funkybottoms posted:

there's a now-infrequent poster who brewed at GI and i remember him posting that they couldn't tell the difference between the GI- and AB-brewed beers; AB makes "bad" beers because that's what sells, not because they're not genius brewers

Well yeah with their light lagers if you screw up it's going to be pretty easy to notice it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
lol ok this is ridiculous

Hauki
May 11, 2010

goferchan posted:

:jerkbag:

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

That picture is from a Colorado store. The beer department manager there used to work at one of the best beer stores in my town. This was probably half joking/a way to get some attention for his store, and chances are most of that stuff would have gone on clearance soon anyway. Wicked Weed made a huge push into Colorado last fall and besides a few limited barrel aged beers their stuff does not sell. I've seen a lot of their beer on clearance around town. Everything i've had from them I thought wasn't anything special, and a lot of it was not worth the price. Bought some when it first showed up, haven't bought any since.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Monk's does the same thing. They'll be doing a fire sale on all their Wicked Weed soon enough. At least they're consistent.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

I've found some less than two week old Elysian Space Dust IPA here in Florida. I never had the original to compare it to, but it's loving delicious. I doubt it could have been too much better before.

I haven't really heard or read any definitive proof of any of the beers they've started making that have been seriously altered. People's palates change. Two Hearted doesn't taste as good to me as it did in 2007, but that's because I've had about 25,000 IPA's since I first had a Two Hearted. Same with Pliny the Elder.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Yep, Petrol Station in Houston posted about how they ordered a keg of recurrant and cancelled the delivery first thing yesterday morning.

So far only six breweries have pulled out of WW's festival and I bet that will pick up.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I haven't really heard or read any definitive proof of any of the beers they've started making that have been seriously altered. People's palates change.

While that's true, Goose IPA definitely changed in flavor and aroma when they took production to huge scales.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Heineken bought the remaining 50% of Lagunitas: http://lagunitast.tumblr.com/

Who wants to take bets on which hazy NEIPA brewery sells out first?

https://twitter.com/jalaffler/status/860166825505632256

and lol at Rare Barrel literally pouring one out for the homies

air- fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 4, 2017

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Breaking footage of Tony when he was confronted about selling out!!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Who's in tune with KC breweries these days? Headed down there with friends this weekend — here's the list we assembled and would like to narrow down:

Big Rip — went there a couple years ago; not good
Border — " "
Boulevard — been there, done that
Brewery Emperial
Calibration
Cinder Block — been here; was OK
Crane — will probably go; never been + interesting stuff, like a beet weiss
Double Shift
KC Bier Company — also been a few times, but will stop b/c proximity to a friend
Martin City
Rock & Run — hell of an outlier, but...
Torn Label

Will also stop at Bier Station, I'm sure.

E: I don't doubt it. We get kegs of theirs from time to time. \/\/

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 4, 2017

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I'd say of that bunch Crane is the best, quality wise

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Are there any breweries near Chicago that you guys think would be up next to sell out? I have a hunch there is at least one big company looking up around that way for a craft brand.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Revolution would be the most obvious choice to snatch up.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Goose Island is going to double down

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

americanzero4128 posted:

Hope I'm not too late for this, but you're kinda by me! Just go to Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, right off of Ogden Avenue. You won't need to go anywhere else.

Thank you for the suggestion! My coworker and I went to Bavarian Lodge last night and crushed a bunch of Zombie Dust which is what got me into craft beer (and I drank some other awesome beers of course).

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

People's palates change. Two Hearted doesn't taste as good to me as it did in 2007, but that's because I've had about 25,000 IPA's since I first had a Two Hearted. Same with Pliny the Elder.

How I felt about Zombie Dust last night, it's still an awesome beer but did not live up to my memories of it. ZD will always have a special place in my heart though.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Lyon posted:

How I felt about Zombie Dust last night, it's still an awesome beer but did not live up to my memories of it. ZD will always have a special place in my heart though.

I recently picked up a couple sixers that were ~3 days old and was thoroughly unimpressed. Hopefully it was just an off batch because I'll be a little bummed if it truly is that mediocre compared to more modern offerings.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Goose Island is going to double down

They kinda did. After the sale Greg Hall left Goose Island and started Virtue Cider which he ended up selling to ABINBEV as well.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Josh Wow posted:

They kinda did. After the sale Greg Hall left Goose Island and started Virtue Cider which he ended up selling to ABINBEV as well.

dude is probably rich af though

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

dude is probably rich af though

He had to sell Virtue because he was in massive debt to his suppliers.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

funkybottoms posted:

Oh definitely. They're excellent brewers, they've got that part of the process mastered. I think my palate has changed significantly since the first time I had a GI IPA, maybe that's why I thought it's gotten worse. Mainly I just consider it a boring IPA, nothing that makes me go "wow".

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

LeafHouse posted:

I recently picked up a couple sixers that were ~3 days old and was thoroughly unimpressed. Hopefully it was just an off batch because I'll be a little bummed if it truly is that mediocre compared to more modern offerings.

It's a good single hop Citra pale ale. Not a lot of magic to wring out of that formula. Lots of all citra beers became hypewhalez when Citra was a new hop because people loving love Citra. Takes a long time for hype to die down so most of them still are hypewhalez. Pseudo Sue (and King Sue for that matter), Zombie Dust, Kern River's Citra beer - all great single hop citra beers, but that's a lot less remarkable when there are tons of other great single hop citra beers on the shelf.

trilljester posted:

Oh definitely. They're excellent brewers, they've got that part of the process mastered. I think my palate has changed significantly since the first time I had a GI IPA, maybe that's why I thought it's gotten worse. Mainly I just consider it a boring IPA, nothing that makes me go "wow".

This is 100% what has happened. Just like Fat Tire and Rogue Dead Guy and Pyramid Hefe haven't gotten worse - people try these beers early on and they blow their mind, and once they have tasted more varieties of beer they realize they weren't all that novel.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Josh Wow posted:

Hard to tell. They say it won't change except for the better. New equipment, better benefits, etc. Time will tell.

Are you at the funkatorium or the other location? I'm going to Asheville in a few weeks.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
U guys ever notice how mosaic hops have a weird taste that can be kind of gross sometimes? I had a local dipa from Lone Pine called Tessellation (mosaic single hop) and the first time I tasted it, it had a weird boozy/syrupy and almost acrid hop taste that was not great. I think danbanana called it "hop-ohol" a while back. But to ight I had a couple and it just tasted fruity and juicy and earthy and all that other poo poo. Same batch, same 4-pack, but that's a weird hops.

Also lagunitas born again yesterday would be the perfect daily drinker if it wasn't such a rarely released tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I haven't really heard or read any definitive proof of any of the beers they've started making that have been seriously altered. People's palates change. Two Hearted doesn't taste as good to me as it did in 2007, but that's because I've had about 25,000 IPA's since I first had a Two Hearted. Same with Pliny the Elder.

I think this is true just in general. I finally got a bottle of Pliny when I went on a work trip to SD, and while it was really good, I felt like it was especially good for 2010, and I could find similarly good things where I live on the East Coast. The proliferation of craft beer is a great and terrible thing, that has slayed whalez and palates across the world.