Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Good inside heel hook video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-W0ug7Edag

Makes some valid safety points, which sound even more valid because he's British.

Pretty sure I posted that video. Also pretty sure Lachlan Giles is not British....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

close enough

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Prison colony. Same same

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It's wild to me that people can't tell those apart. I can pick regional accents in the US just from watching TV, and I never plan to visit.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 2, 2017

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

JaySB posted:

Pretty sure I posted that video.
Ah sorry, did a search but got no hits, search seems to be failing me regularly though.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It's wild to me that people can't tell those apart. I can pick regional accents in the US just from watching TV, and I never plan to visit.

I'm pretty deaf and don't watch enough Australians on TV to properly ear train.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I grew up with a slight British accent and a British father from Bermuda in God damned Nashville. I can sure as gently caress hear the difference between Aussie and British but gently caress if I know how to describe it.

When people ask me the difference, I just tell them Australians always sound like they really don't give a gently caress.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

If we're being pedantic is literally gives the location of the gym in Australia at the beginning of the video.

There's some great stuff in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n05PdHl2PJM

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Captain Log posted:

I grew up with a slight British accent and a British father from Bermuda in God damned Nashville. I can sure as gently caress hear the difference between Aussie and British but gently caress if I know how to describe it.

When people ask me the difference, I just tell them Australians always sound like they really don't give a gently caress.

Fuuuck

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

JaySB posted:

If we're being pedantic is literally gives the location of the gym in Australia at the beginning of the video.

Didn't realize we were but please allow me to apologize again.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
That guy has the textbook Australian upward inflection.

"Craaaa-aig"

"People just learn leeeeg-locks"

"I get what they are saaay-ing"

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Im an aussie living in canada and constantly get 'what part of england are you from'. My friend is english living in canada and constantly gets 'what part of australia are you from'
What the christ?!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The accents are extremely easy to tell apart imo, but I have an ear for those things. Australians generally sound much more annoying unless we get into really poo poo dialects like geordie. Any good videos addressing beginner tips for bottom guard? I have a very hard to break guard from bottom but not much ingenuity from there, mostly bump sweeps and Kimuras that get me into a better position.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I hear Ryan Hall's defensive guard dvd is great for beginners as far as preventing the pass goes. I think he's Korean or something.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I'm luckily well traveled for work and pleasure and the most unintelligible English speech I've ever heard came from an Australian. I was headed over to Germany and sitting next to a thickly accented Irish guy. When you are in a tube for a while before the internet existed, polite people made at least cursory attempts at small talk. About once a conversation this incredibly skinny, tall, red faced, apparently sober man would shoot his head into our lines of sight and say words that seemingly made perfect sense to his friends but none to me.

I used to learn bits of Mandarin to talk to people. I know voices. But Jesus Christ that dude.

Anyways, this is the BJJ thread and I have a question. Does Danaher have a good book? Finding out that he is a crippled philosophy degree having fight master perked my interest for obvious reasons.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Captain Log posted:

I'm luckily well traveled for work and pleasure and the most unintelligible English speech I've ever heard came from an Australian. I was headed over to Germany and sitting next to a thickly accented Irish guy. When you are in a tube for a while before the internet existed, polite people made at least cursory attempts at small talk. About once a conversation this incredibly skinny, tall, red faced, apparently sober man would shoot his head into our lines of sight and say words that seemingly made perfect sense to his friends but none to me.

I used to learn bits of Mandarin to talk to people. I know voices. But Jesus Christ that dude.

Anyways, this is the BJJ thread and I have a question. Does Danaher have a good book? Finding out that he is a crippled philosophy degree having fight master perked my interest for obvious reasons.

He co-wrote Mastering Jujitsu. I actually have it right next to me as of writing. the first half of the book is all about concepts about combat phases (standing, clinch and ground) and how they flow together. the other half is techniques in each phase. It's good if you're into MMA oriented nogi grappling. Jiu Jitsu university is the other book that gets recommended around a lot that's more focused on gi but gives a lot of information.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Odddzy posted:

He co-wrote Mastering Jujitsu. I actually have it right next to me as of writing. the first half of the book is all about concepts about combat phases (standing, clinch and ground) and how they flow together. the other half is techniques in each phase. It's good if you're into MMA oriented nogi grappling. Jiu Jitsu university is the other book that gets recommended around a lot that's more focused on gi but gives a lot of information.

Saulo's book is an ok reference but I bought it two years ago and I can count the numbers of times I've opened it on one hand. The wealth of high quality content on youtube has really rendered it obsolete.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

WayneCampbell posted:

Saulo's book is an ok reference but I bought it two years ago and I can count the numbers of times I've opened it on one hand. The wealth of high quality content on youtube has really rendered it obsolete.

Yeah, I agree. Books aren't really all that useful on the subject but if you really really want a reason to spend some money, they are nice to look at and might have a thing or two you'd like to drill. I haven't finished either although they were interesting.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If I am to speak without any bullshit at all, I think my "journey" with combat sports might be over. It's out of my hands right now, my ankle is hosed. I keep you guys updated on those things because people, on and off the forums that I think don't give a poo poo about me ask for updates. If people ask for updates, I'll put them out and deal with people thinking I'm an idiot.

I set out to fight regardless of the logic because I thought it was a great way to figure out exactly how tough I am. I've discovered what I thought, I'm (according to others) tough as a boot and have fundamental knowledge of distance and tactics learned largely from Muay Thai and fencing. I have no desire to be the best at fighting because I'm not stupid. My health isn't awesome. But if you think my ability to overcome poo poo that kills most people isn't enough for me to keep exploring Jiu Jitsu, all I can say is you do not know me at all.

In my perfect world, I wanted to have at least one amateur fight because I think it's completely attainable. I was told by a poo poo load of doctors it wasn't, and to go to yoga. Then I almost died for unrelated reasons. I've got every reason ever to never go back to a gym and I've had them for a long time. But I think my ankle might be really hosed. I'd like to see where Danaher's body gave out because it happens, and see if it's realistic for me to continue or if I need to trick myself into biking to exercise for the sake of exercising.

P.S. If we are being straight up honest, it's bugged me how certain people, specifically in this thread, have treated me. But I realized a lot of my mental posturing was due to things I couldn't prove. (Like if the problems I perceived actually existed.) So I realized I seemed like I might be a very particular type of bullshit artist. All I can tell you is I do my best to be a honest and funny person and feel more comfortable asking this thread stupid questions. I feel like that's why it exists. If you have a fundamental problem with me, ask me about it. Odds are I'll engage you if I have the time and you might be surprised at how I reason things out.

If you are stupid enough to think posting in a loving thread on somethingawful.com about BJJ has ANY bearing on any realities outside of what exists in your head, get the gently caress over yourself. That is not directed at anyone but it is directed at the concept of someone thinking they are tough on any level for posting on a forum.

TL/DR - For personal reasons I want to read a Danaher book but I'm more concerned with his philosophy of the self than his philosophy of kimuras.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Log posted:

If I am to speak without any bullshit at all, I think my "journey" with combat sports might be over. It's out of my hands right now, my ankle is hosed. I keep you guys updated on those things because people, on and off the forums that I think don't give a poo poo about me ask for updates. If people ask for updates, I'll put them out and deal with people thinking I'm an idiot.

I set out to fight regardless of the logic because I thought it was a great way to figure out exactly how tough I am. I've discovered what I thought, I'm (according to others) tough as a boot and have fundamental knowledge of distance and tactics learned largely from Muay Thai and fencing. I have no desire to be the best at fighting because I'm not stupid. My health isn't awesome. But if you think my ability to overcome poo poo that kills most people isn't enough for me to keep exploring Jiu Jitsu, all I can say is you do not know me at all.

In my perfect world, I wanted to have at least one amateur fight because I think it's completely attainable. I was told by a poo poo load of doctors it wasn't, and to go to yoga. Then I almost died for unrelated reasons. I've got every reason ever to never go back to a gym and I've had them for a long time. But I think my ankle might be really hosed. I'd like to see where Danaher's body gave out because it happens, and see if it's realistic for me to continue or if I need to trick myself into biking to exercise for the sake of exercising.

P.S. If we are being straight up honest, it's bugged me how certain people, specifically in this thread, have treated me. But I realized a lot of my mental posturing was due to things I couldn't prove. (Like if the problems I perceived actually existed.) So I realized I seemed like I might be a very particular type of bullshit artist. All I can tell you is I do my best to be a honest and funny person and feel more comfortable asking this thread stupid questions. I feel like that's why it exists. If you have a fundamental problem with me, ask me about it. Odds are I'll engage you if I have the time and you might be surprised at how I reason things out.

If you are stupid enough to think posting in a loving thread on somethingawful.com about BJJ has ANY bearing on any realities outside of what exists in your head, get the gently caress over yourself. That is not directed at anyone but it is directed at the concept of someone thinking they are tough on any level for posting on a forum.

TL/DR - For personal reasons I want to read a Danaher book but I'm more concerned with his philosophy of the self than his philosophy of kimuras.

Hey man. It seems like youve had your share of bad luck and gone through a lot lately, that sucks and i hope you get back where you want to be. You overshare and post self deprecating stuff in here a lot which i think gives people the impression youre okay with them goofing on you. You shouldnt take it too personally - its just how it is Online, the people posting a in a comedy forum grappling thread are gonna tend to be more eager white and blue belts and guys who want to talk some poo poo. I dont think anyone has anything against you personally or thinks theyre tough for posting here.. its only as much of a problem as you make it

If you get a chance you might want to do a session with a sports psychologist or a injury/rehab psych consultant, it might sound like a bit much but people underestimate how big of an impact it can have mentally when you lose physical capability and are forced to give things up. I have known guys who built their lives around a sport, scholarships etc then got injured and lost everything and it puts you in a weird space. Everyones different and you just have to figure out what works for you. Good luck bro

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

manyak posted:

Hey man. It seems like youve had your share of bad luck and gone through a lot lately, that sucks and i hope you get back where you want to be. You overshare and post self deprecating stuff in here a lot which i think gives people the impression youre okay with them goofing on you. You shouldnt take it too personally - its just how it is Online, the people posting a in a comedy forum grappling thread are gonna tend to be more eager white and blue belts and guys who want to talk some poo poo. I dont think anyone has anything against you personally or thinks theyre tough for posting here.. its only as much of a problem as you make it

If you get a chance you might want to do a session with a sports psychologist or a injury/rehab psych consultant, it might sound like a bit much but people underestimate how big of an impact it can have mentally when you lose physical capability and are forced to give things up. I have known guys who built their lives around a sport, scholarships etc then got injured and lost everything and it puts you in a weird space. Everyones different and you just have to figure out what works for you. Good luck bro

Thank you. Trump being in office made me really question how I perceive myself and in turn how other people perceive me. I appreciate the moment of honestly.

Also being that honest makes me uncomfortable because it goes against certain ethics that are only mine. I know it's just my perception, but I've lived a life striving for absolute honesty so I know having to say, "HEY GUYS I'M BEING SUPER HONEST!" is going to be a lie 99% of the time. But I'm thinking living a life based on only the proof of my deeds might be in order.

Very astute about the over sharing because I have a completely quantifiable problem with thinking too far into things. I like knowing that's how it manifests to a forum of mostly savvy dudes.

I'd be glad to move along though. Which of Danaher's books goes more into why he does what he does?

Also, any good grapple events happening? This thread is sometime pure gold just for letting me know when fights get crackin'.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 4, 2017

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Captain Log posted:

I'd be glad to move along though. Which of Danaher's books goes more into why he does what he does?

He's only got the one book I mentioned previouly.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

this is going to sound cold but it probably doesnt make any difference to anyone else here whether you go to the gym or not or what youve been through or whatever. you should tell that kind of stuff to your friends or family. at the very least it would make more sense if you got upset at them for some perceived insults instead of some strangers online

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude
So... Wanna roll or what man jeez.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You sound like you don't want to accept reality, which is that you shouldn't do anything more strenuous than walking. Instead you just keep getting injured and making e/n posts in the grappling thread.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I encourage you to accept your limitations and live a healthier and safer life.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My plan if I get too hurt to keep fighting is to get back into ceramics.

Stop grappling; keep posting.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
99% of all people have never trained in combat sports at all, so while you have to cut your journey short you know you made it further than pretty much everybody else on the planet.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Bubba Smith posted:

99% of all people have never trained in combat sports at all, so while you have to cut your journey short you know you made it further than pretty much everybody else on the planet.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Read only mode now please

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i don't mean to bring this sort of talk to the grappling memoirs and accent recognition thread, but I'm joining a formal wrestling program for the first time. I first learned BJJ from dudes that were basically wrestlers so I'm not new to a lot of the concepts, but I've never trained it in a vacuum and I'm excited to see how my skills transfer over.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Interested to see how you feel about giving up your back in wrestling.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Novum posted:

I encourage you to accept your limitations and live a healthier and safer life.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I readily admit there is a level of absurdity to my actions but I can explain them with results. I thought I had portrayed an accurate picture here - I give a poo poo. If I can't do something tell me why. I don't like to let reality control me because it blows. Want to hear about getting sober and getting tinnitus two months later that hasn't stopped in three years? You loving don't. No one does. That's for me. I don't like having to say that because it implies it's a problem. It's something fundamental to me.

I'm sorry that I had a plato's cave moment in front of everyone. I thought we pretty much took things at face value here. I didn't get that. I'll change. Just loving say it to me. Sorry I cared about the ones of you that seem like real people. It made me come off like a dick because I thought I was being honest.

Edit : I've been on these forums as a loving joke for years. This is the one little sliver I came to hoping to find someone absurd enough to believe in me. Having to say that out loud literally made a tear get in my eye. That's my reality. I don't like to talk about my reality. I like to talk about what I can do about it.

Double edit : If I'm asking you a question in a fight thread, I want an answer because I care what you think on a loving comedy forum on a dying website. I've belonged to combat gyms for years and know they aren't a place for random questions.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 6, 2017

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
No one is mad at you my dude. We just want you to be safe, same as anyone.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Novum posted:

No one is mad at you my dude. We just want you to be safe, same as anyone.

Thanks man. I think everyone has had a moment on these forums where they realize people think you come off as a retard that can't use a basic google search and it loving stings enough to make me swear this place off for the control I just let it have over me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Bubba Smith posted:

100% this. I apologize for letting my emotions get the better of myself and for any level of distaction I caused.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yo Captain Log I don't really have any good advice or a real substantial comment but I want to say I like you. You seem like a good guy from my experiences here. Your recent mood and honesty throws me off a little but I get it, and I respect what you're trying to deal with. Just uh, hang in there dude. poo poo works out. It's not always good or fun or reasonable but eventually you'll figure it out and you seem like you have a good enough head on your shoulders to manage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

100% this. I apologize for letting my emotions get the better of myself and for any level of distaction I caused.

There wasn't any distraction perhaps maybe some melodrama within acceptable levels.

Anyway your plight is on topic. The possibility of our bodies giving out on us is something that every one of us has to keep in the backs of our heads as grapplers. Injury and age get people. Danaher is done. I saw something either here or on Twitter that suggested that Fatherdog is on indefinite hiatus from the mats because of injuries, but citation needed. My Dad is a nidan in two arts and he hasn't touched a gi in a decade and a mat in even longer. I've had more than one incident (knee, rib *2) make me go "oh poo poo, I might not be able to continue in my sports..." and I got really really sad. Even right now the knuckles on my right hand ache because of something that happened on the mats a week ago.

How long were you back at the jits before your ankle exploded, anyway?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Training in rio update: its hot as balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Uh, I realized I'm insane because of oversharing or I can prove I'm better than the President. I found out here. Now I'm telling you with no perceptible benefit to anything but my ego.

Sorry for any inconvenience I caused but my life is reflected better in a website than my actual life. None of you know a drat thing about me and I've been confusing. I expect you not to post if I'm dumb. Smart people post here. Nobody is here to be a pro, and we are lucky for the ones we have. But an image of meanness in the spirit of absurdity being embodied in a loving dying comedy forum is the stupidest meta-verse that has ever existed.

I liked you guys, now I am ok with actively disliking people on this forum. I don't like that and I was taught it's ok. It's a method of control that needs time, man. If you'll believe a degree statics say you are ok with every minute of your being being made fun of by a loving broken human reality star as president. If I say that and people call me insane, go right ahead. Commit me if you can.

TL'DR You are chasing away the motivation you pay ex-champs for by being a big bunch of dicks. No loving fighter will post here. Prove me wrong. Oh wait, you already have, or haven't. Why do I care to finish this thought?

Is there anything crueler than a fighter trapped in a genetically hosed body?

Edit : To be super truthful, a fighter BECAUSE his mom's a bitch. Who the gently caress couldn't tell?

I'm loving done posting in this thread. I'll be in the other ones if you like me. Some realities are just that, a sad loving joke.