Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So I checked ebay sold auctions and people have already paid anywhere between 75 and 150 dollars for the Fiona Apple Tidal LP that no one is in possession of and you can still order for the original retail price. Why are people this stupid? It's not like it's hard to just google that poo poo and find it for sale on Vinyl Me, Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

CPL593H posted:

So I checked ebay sold auctions and people have already paid anywhere between 75 and 150 dollars for the Fiona Apple Tidal LP that no one is in possession of and you can still order for the original retail price. Why are people this stupid? It's not like it's hard to just google that poo poo and find it for sale on Vinyl Me, Please.

I've worked in marketing and advertising for 15 years. Imagine how stupid and easily manipulated you think people are. The truth is they're probably 100 times as stupid and easily manipulated.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

I've worked in marketing and advertising for 15 years. Imagine how stupid and easily manipulated you think people are. The truth is they're probably 100 times as stupid and easily manipulated.

There's a copy that sold for 500 dollars. I just can't wrap my head around this.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

CPL593H posted:

There's a copy that sold for 500 dollars. I just can't wrap my head around this.

What you need to do is buy like ten copies and sell them to dummies.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Pingiivi posted:

What you need to do is buy like ten copies and sell them to dummies.

I normally am like "ARGHHHH! EBAY FLIPPERS!", but I just can't get over the fact how stupid this is. Anyone who is falling for this deserves it.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
the backbone of all human civilization is taking advantage of other's stupidity

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

stay depressed posted:

the backbone of all human civilization is taking advantage of other's stupidity

This is correct. And the sad thing is any attempt to fix it will eventually be exploited by those who are good at manipulating others.

Off to chug a prozac shake and listen to some synthwave on vinyl.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I might as well post a picture of what I got recently.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Peas and Rice posted:

I might as well post a picture of what I got recently.

Man I hate that that Guest soundtrack was an RSD release. poo poo rules.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Stan Taylor posted:

I had no idea otherwise I would have grabbed it last year. Managed to find a copy nice and cheap from an Amazon seller. It's a great loving soundtrack.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I wonder what happens when someone gets one of the defective copies second hand. Send it back to the flipper who then has to send it back to VMP?

It looks like VMP has gotten rid of the single month option maybe some people just want the record without the hassle of joining the club... who am I kidding. People are dumb.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

I've noticed that most of the niche items from RSD don't retain their flipper value after a few months. You can probably find the Guest soundtrack for retail price by now. Usually the poo poo that stays expensive is from big name/iconic bands.

sporklift posted:

I wonder what happens when someone gets one of the defective copies second hand. Send it back to the flipper who then has to send it back to VMP?

It looks like VMP has gotten rid of the single month option maybe some people just want the record without the hassle of joining the club... who am I kidding. People are dumb.

The single month option is still there. I ordered a copy of Tidal so I can hop on this gravy train.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 4, 2017

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

CPL593H posted:

I've noticed that most of the niche items from RSD don't retain their flipper value after a few months. You can probably find the Guest soundtrack for retail price by now. Usually the poo poo that stays expensive is from big name/iconic bands.

Looks like it's over $50 on discord which is pretty pricey for my blood. Only things I've bought over $50 were big box sets like 69 Love Songs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Looks like it's over $50 on discord which is pretty pricey for my blood. Only things I've bought over $50 were big box sets like 69 Love Songs.

Oh to be young again.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Peas and Rice posted:

I've worked in marketing and advertising for 15 years.
That explains a lot

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Stan Taylor posted:

The problem with that record is that there's a synthwave scene with a lot of crazy assed collectors, and it released under people's radar, so you usually have to drop $50 on it. An Amazon seller or a discogs seller will occasionally list it for less if you're patient. I grabbed mine for $25, still sealed.

quote:

That explains a lot

Gotta make a living somehow.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 4, 2017

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Tiny Engines is doing their 5 for $20 grab bag again. Pretty good bet if you're into pop punk/emo stuff at all.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

"This Old Dog" by Mac DeMarco came in today.

Here's a download code for anyone interested.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
My Bob's Burgers box set just arrived and it is beautiful

Edit: I'm pleasantly surprised it got here on release day, since I'm in Australia

realbez fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 12, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Offtopic but don't know where else to ask: are albums/movies waaaaay overpriced in Australia or is that just videogames? I heard a few years back that stuff like Morrowind sold for around 100AUD a pop.

e: for content, just picked up the Zig-Zags' Ripping Death/Riddle of Steel single. Pretty nice, very 90s feel. Cover comes with guitar tabs slathered in high-school metalhead doodles.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 12, 2017

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Offtopic but don't know where else to ask: are albums/movies waaaaay overpriced in Australia or is that just videogames? I heard a few years back that stuff like Morrowind sold for around 100AUD a pop.

e: for content, just picked up the Zig-Zags' Ripping Death/Riddle of Steel single. Pretty nice, very 90s feel. Cover comes with guitar tabs slathered in high-school metalhead doodles.

Yeah basically everything media and technology is overpriced here. We are far away and retailers have historically failed to realise that the internet exists. They are all currently making GBS threads themselves about Amazon opening warehouses here later this year and promising to undercut the hell out of everyone. Since I buy most of my music from bandcamp or amazon in the states, I can't wait.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

realbez posted:

My Bob's Burgers box set just arrived and it is beautiful

Edit: I'm pleasantly surprised it got here on release day, since I'm in Australia

Ours shipped on the 9th and is supposed to get here on the 16th. Australia is closer to Seattle than Austin, I guess?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

How is the build quality of that bobs burger set? I was thinking of surprising my girlfriend with it, but $70 is steep for a tv music set.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

How is the build quality of that bobs burger set? I was thinking of surprising my girlfriend with it, but $70 is steep for a tv music set.

You can get it for 28 dollars if you don't get the one with all the stupid trinkets. That's actually a reasonable price for a triple LP.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i support the bob's burgers box set and anyone who gets it

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

CPL593H posted:

You can get it for 28 dollars if you don't get the one with all the stupid trinkets. That's actually a reasonable price for a triple LP.

Sez the man to whom the One Eyed Snakes owe no favors

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

It's good, and the $70 version has a hardcover lyrics book and a piano and ukulele sheet music book and a bunch of other more useless things. I got it for my wife's birthday and she loves it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I bought an LPBIN so I will let my good friends in this good thread know how it is when it arrives.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Cool I'd be interested to hear. I like the configuration

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Thanks for recommending the bobs burgers music album, it came in today and has been a charm. One of my favorite releases this year and ive already bought a lot of dumb poo poo for the year not being half over. Records are ok and not that bad.

edit: i got the standard edition that comes with the white 45 (?), not the box

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

finally found all the bobby brown albums :cool:

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
This Goodwill score was too good. Thank you Lewis & Clark College radio station circa 1983/4!

yes
Aug 26, 2004

stay depressed posted:

i support the bob's burgers box set and anyone who gets it

can u support me monetarily

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
can u j/o on kik

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Barry posted:

I bought an LPBIN so I will let my good friends in this good thread know how it is when it arrives.

this costs a stupid amount of money

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It is kinda pricy, but it looks like it'd be sweet if I had room for it. I'm using an Ikea Kallax shelf to store my records now, but I'd much prefer to be able to go through them crate style instead of just seeing the spines. What's everyone else using for storage?

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

camoseven posted:

It is kinda pricy, but it looks like it'd be sweet if I had room for it. I'm using an Ikea Kallax shelf to store my records now, but I'd much prefer to be able to go through them crate style instead of just seeing the spines. What's everyone else using for storage?

Every normal person uses the kallax and/or milk crates. I use an old magazine holder for what I'm currently or about to spin though

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Every normal person uses the kallax and/or milk crates. I use an old magazine holder for what I'm currently or about to spin though

Same. Well I have whatever ikea called them before Kallax.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Elrobot posted:

finally found all the bobby brown albums :cool:

Ha! Did you find them all together in one spot? Supposedly Brown pressed up a like a billion copies, I've found Axonda I think 3 times. In TN, for fucks sake. (I think Acid Archives might have the pressing #, I'd have to look.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

camoseven posted:

This guy I know who runs a junk shop near me has a bunch of long (like a bit over 2 feet) thick plastic boxes that were used for storing auto parts, and he sold me one for like 5 bucks. They're pretty much the greatest thing ever for records, they're the exact width of an LP and I guess you could even turn them on their side and stack them up like shelves if you wanted.

Then whatever LPs didn't fit in the plastic crate spilled over into a small cardboard box. I guess I'll have to hit that guy up for another auto parts crate eventually.