Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
RG breach and RG scapeshift are very similar, but the blue builds are their own thing. Speaking of which, why isn't anyone playing Bring to Light (or RUG) scapeshift right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

uninverted posted:

RG breach and RG scapeshift are very similar, but the blue builds are their own thing. Speaking of which, why isn't anyone playing Bring to Light (or RUG) scapeshift right now?

Can't beat Death's Shadow. Discard hits your interaction if any and your clock is too slow.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

uninverted posted:

turns out shocking yourself a bunch, then paying 5 mana for a 4 mana spell is not a good gameplan

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

little munchkin posted:

turns out shocking yourself a bunch, then paying 5 mana for a 4 mana spell is not a good gameplan

I get what you're saying but shocking your life total away and paying an extra mana to find the card you want is literally the basis of the best deck in the format.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I hope the MTGO Commander banlist catches on in paper and I hope Sheldon gets really mad about it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I hope the MTGO Commander banlist catches on in paper and I hope Sheldon gets really mad about it.

This but they also emergency ban Deadeye Navigator.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

uninverted posted:

I get what you're saying but shocking your life total away and paying an extra mana to find the card you want is literally the basis of the best deck in the format.

Turns out a BG 10/10 is still good. There's half a dozen 5 or less mana spells that win you the game with a lot less setup and much less clunky cards.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

This but they also emergency ban Deadeye Navigator.

Deadeye Navigator is not good. There are many, many other combos in the format that are both cheaper and less vulnerable to disruption.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Entropic posted:

I hope Commander 2017 is built to the MTGO banlist. :getin:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

The Shortest Path posted:

Deadeye Navigator is not good. There are many, many other combos in the format that are both cheaper and less vulnerable to disruption.

Spoken like somebody who's never run into infinite mana deadeye/phyrexian ingestor or deadeye/acidic slime. It's a major combo enabler, maybe not on mtgo though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Spoken like somebody who's never run into infinite mana deadeye/phyrexian ingestor or deadeye/acidic slime. It's a major combo enabler, maybe not on mtgo though.

:confused:

These are really terrible three card combos that take way more mana than many other combos which win faster. If your concern is winning the game quickly and efficiently, Deadeye is not even remotely a factor. It's only a "major combo enabler" in slow durdle playgroups where games frequently go over ~30 minutes.

Basically just ignore like 99% of the words posted in the mtgsalvation commander board.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Okay, so, another chapter of the Amonkhet story was posted. Let me break it down for you.

Gideon Jura is following Famed Feline Divinity Oketra to somewhere she wants him to go. After a bit of travel, he and we are introduced to the Tah crop, a gaggle of attractive young adults who have managed to get through three whole trials without losing anyone. Oketra tells Gideon he's here to join the crop, and total dudebro Djeru greets him and they wrestle. We meet other members of the Tah crop, and find out that Gideon is the replacement for their old member, SAMUT, who got expelled exiled for being a filthy communist dissenter. She and Djeru kinda had a thing. It's awkward for, like, a minute.

They are eventually greeted by Bontu the EDH Fodder, who tells them that nobody is ever born strong. Gideon's all like "Not even the gods?" and Bontu is like, "How Brazen", but she likes that and is totally not mad. The rest of the crop is stunned that Gideon is socially inept bold enough to question a god like that, and they're all totally down with him now. They all then enter the Trial! Of! Ambition!. It goes very well. It goes awful.

This amazing team of young people who have never lost a single person to a trial instantly loses someone in the first room to a slowly filling pit of acidic sewage. Gideon's like "Why are we doing this again?", to which Djeru's like "BECAUSE!" Then they run into an Ammit, and here's where I gotta go off on a tangent. Gideon of the Trials becomes an indestructible 4/4. The ammit he faces, though, is pretty obviously meant to be a Baleful Ammit, which the observant among you might notice, is a 4/3 that is not indestructible. Gideon should, by all rights, be able to dickpunch this thing into next week, then dickpunch one third of it's identical twin brother. Spoiler alert: He can't beat it at all, and it can somehow jump several stories to eat an aven warrior that tries to save him. I'm calling bullshit on this Ammit right here and now and I cannot not be annoyed at it because I'm that pedantic.

Anyway, they retreat from the Ammit room, and basically retreat through a bunch of rooms that force them to leave people behind to be eaten by the Ammit (which Gideon should have killed already). They dwindle down from twenty to nine, just in time to finally reach Bontu's chamber. She says that the very last trial they need to pass is to pay her toll. In a pretty cool nod to Egyptian myth, she demands a heart that she will weigh in a scale. Gideon's really, really not cool with this, while the rest of the team just jumps right onto murdering each other like a bunch of shrieking pinatas filled with blood and meth-candy. Djeru takes this opportunity to very apologetically drown his brother in cobra-infested water and then carve out his heart.

Gideon has had enough of this half-baked Battle Royale poo poo and gets up in Bontu's face. She says "Why you judging man? You need to understand this because you screwed up that one time and now, because of that, you are morally required to be okay with forced teenage murder-suicide." Then she mind-controls him and forces him to leave, because that's totally something Black can do as a color.

Then Gideon's like, "God-Pharaoh? May He return quickly and may I be found worthy...

TO MURDER HIM TO DEATH"

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
On second thought, what really loving kills me is that none of the Gatewatch have figured out that this is supposed to be a planeswalker factory. I would think that Jace at least would have loving connected the dots by now.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

But that would ruin the ~dramatic reveal~ because of course their target audience hasn't figured it out yet either.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's like 1 week in and I'm already sick of losing to Glorybringer over and over. What a cancerous card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Why didn't anyone else in the GW tell Gideon he was a fucken idiot for joining a cult?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Angry Grimace posted:

Why didn't anyone else in the GW tell Gideon he was a fucken idiot for joining a cult?

Nissa might as well be a cultist, chandra's too stupid to notice, liliana doesn't care, and Jace can't say it with any tact because he's socially inept

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's like 1 week in and I'm already sick of losing to Glorybringer over and over. What a cancerous card.

I don't know which one makes for a worse draft environment, Baneslayer or Glorybringer. Outside of Glorybringer I loving love drafting this set.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
LR had some interesting criticisms of the format.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Could you give a tl;dr?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

PJOmega posted:

I don't know which one makes for a worse draft environment, Baneslayer or Glorybringer. Outside of Glorybringer I loving love drafting this set.

I'm so torn because it's a huge boon not having it at mythic, but it is a complete blowout at 5 mana that gives you immediate value and then runs away with the game if they can't answer it.

I'm currently 1-0 with this, winning the Drake Haven mirror. This is the sweetest deck I've drafted in a long time.

I first picked Drake Haven, and got passed Sandwurm Convergence P3P1 after picking Cast Out P1P2.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Veyrall posted:

Then she mind-controls him and forces him to leave, because that's totally something Black can do as a color.

It's not common, and two of the four times they explored this effect were the card Mindslaver, but when it's not Mindslaver it's on a black card.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Word of command!!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Emrakul!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Marketing New Brain posted:

I'm so torn because it's a huge boon not having it at mythic, but it is a complete blowout at 5 mana that gives you immediate value and then runs away with the game if they can't answer it.

I'm currently 1-0 with this, winning the Drake Haven mirror. This is the sweetest deck I've drafted in a long time.

I first picked Drake Haven, and got passed Sandwurm Convergence P3P1 after picking Cast Out P1P2.

I just beat two Drake Haven decks playing in a league. I don't think enough people know how to make the deck.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Veyrall posted:

This amazing team of young people who have never lost a single person to a trial instantly loses someone in the first room to a slowly filling pit of acidic sewage. Gideon's like "Why are we doing this again?", to which Djeru's like "BECAUSE!" Then they run into an Ammit, and here's where I gotta go off on a tangent. Gideon of the Trials becomes an indestructible 4/4. The ammit he faces, though, is pretty obviously meant to be a Baleful Ammit, which the observant among you might notice, is a 4/3 that is not indestructible. Gideon should, by all rights, be able to dickpunch this thing into next week, then dickpunch one third of it's identical twin brother. Spoiler alert: He can't beat it at all, and it can somehow jump several stories to eat an aven warrior that tries to save him. I'm calling bullshit on this Ammit right here and now and I cannot not be annoyed at it because I'm that pedantic.

The Ammit thing is even more stupid when you consider that Gideon fought and held off known indestructible 10/10 Ulamog.

The Eldrazi should've recruited some Ammits for their world devouring campaign.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That one actually black Mind Control from New Phyrexia

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

The Ammit thing is even more stupid when you consider that Gideon fought and held off known indestructible 10/10 Ulamog.

The Eldrazi should've recruited some Ammits for their world devouring campaign.

Ulamog has not haste. The GAoZ can block it with no problems using tokens. GotT can prevent its damage.
That haste Ammit can easily kill a Gideon pw

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 4, 2017

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I mean, it dies to removal?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I remember the last time we had a 5 mana 4/4 flyer with haste.

Red was good then. People complained.

Coincidence????????????????

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Count Bleck posted:

I remember the last time we had a 5 mana 4/4 flyer with haste.

Red was good then. People complained.

Coincidence????????????????

I think the complaints are for limited though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

I think the complaints are for limited though.

This is fair. But then, don't most limited formats have Dumb Bomb Rare That Warps Games It Exists In?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Not really.

I've gone back and counted and glorybringer has been in 55% of my match losses so​ far lmao.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

YggdrasilTM posted:

That haste Ammit can easily kill a Gideon pw
Ammit does not have haste, argument annihilated

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Count Bleck posted:

This is fair. But then, don't most limited formats have Dumb Bomb Rare That Warps Games It Exists In?

Not really, and certainly not to the same degree. Theros had nothing that compared to Pack Rat.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Maybe this Ammit wasn't quite so full of bale.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Count Bleck posted:

Formats that have an unusual concentration of rates that absolutely take over games usually end up not fondly remembered.

(Insert comment about Fate Reforged and the white Siege.)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Glorybringer's not mythic so it shows up twice as often as these cards usually do, but in general yes there's always a few rares that people complain about. I don't think this set is on the Fate Reforged end of that spectrum at all.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Count Bleck posted:

Usually it's mythic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Boxman posted:

Formats that have an unusual concentration of rates that absolutely take over games usually end up not fondly remembered.

(Insert comment about Fate Reforged and the white Siege.)

Citadel Siege was a nightmare. Either mode, as a card, would have been nearly unbeatable The choice added the Insult // Injury

Nothing in this format is as bad as Pack Rat, Citadel Siege, Jitte, or Mill Jace. But there's a density of swingy rares & uncommons that is unusual. (I consider the UW embalm aven & red trial to be nearly as hard to beat)