Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I'm pretty sure that I've managed to gently caress up the damage multipliers in my modded survival game - it's supposed to be 4x/4x, but enemies are way too bullet-spongy still while I die from bullets that wander anywhere near me.

Is there a way to use FO4Edit to see what I've actually got? I'm not sure what fields I should be looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Kenlon posted:

I'm pretty sure that I've managed to gently caress up the damage multipliers in my modded survival game - it's supposed to be 4x/4x, but enemies are way too bullet-spongy still while I die from bullets that wander anywhere near me.

Is there a way to use FO4Edit to see what I've actually got? I'm not sure what fields I should be looking at.

I would grab something like Rulebreaker or use the console to check / set the player and NPC damage multipliers in game. That way you can be sure what they are.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Nevets posted:

I would grab something like Rulebreaker or use the console to check / set the player and NPC damage multipliers in game. That way you can be sure what they are.

Problem is that I already have some survival rebalance mods, so adding another one is probably going to make it worse. What console commands can check the multipliers? I'm not seeing them from a quick google.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kenlon posted:

That's pretty normal for survival mode. It works well for the first 5 or 10 levels, and then after that the HP and DR bloat makes it play like any other difficulty.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Kenlon posted:

Load up a mod like the survival difficulty rebalance where it sets the multipliers for player and NPC damage, and then load everything in FO4Edit and check the values in that plugin. You can also check out my Simple Locational Damage mod and check the locational damage values against your load order.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I figured out the problem - I didn't realize there was a 2x multiplier on enemy damage from being in survival mode on top of whatever you set the damage percentage to.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Oh my loving god I just found out that pretty much every single building in downtown Boston is made out of hundreds of sections of walls which have at least 40 triangles despite being almost totally flat. Other versions, which are simple rectangles, have 32 triangles.

:thumbsup:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

Oh my loving god I just found out that pretty much every single building in downtown Boston is made out of hundreds of sections of walls which have at least 40 triangles despite being almost totally flat. Other versions, which are simple rectangles, have 32 triangles.

:thumbsup:

Are they using vertex based lighting/shading and thus need to add more vertices in order to break up the shadowing/shading?

Or, perhaps, are they designed with vertex lighting/shading in mind even though they don't use it?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 4, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Are they using vertex based lighting/shading and thus need to add more vertices in order to break up the shadowing/shading?

Or, perhaps, are they designed with vertex lighting/shading in mind even though they don't use it?

It's almost certainly one of these, or something alone those lines. Pretty sure that the game doesn't use tesselation effects, but they might have been designed for that. It's pretty common in Unreal 4 games to have flat planes made of a similar number of tris.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

Are they using vertex based lighting and thus need to add more vertices in order to break up the shadowing?

Nope. There are actual flat walls that are only two polygons which are used interchangeably, it's just a matter of different textures. There are also smaller walls with the exact same textures as the higher poly ones, and when applied to the same total area have 10x fewer tris.

I'm not sure what is going on. The actual meshes don't seem to be designed with anything related to lighting in mind.

e: For example, one rectangle model is 12 triangles, which is the bare minimum of what's necessary. A second rectangle model, in the exact same shape, is the one with 32.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 4, 2017

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

turn off the TV posted:

Nope. There are actual flat walls that are only two polygons which are used interchangeably, it's just a matter of different textures. There are also smaller walls with the exact same textures as the higher poly ones, and when applied to the same total area have 10x fewer tris.

I'm not sure what is going on. The actual meshes don't seem to be designed with anything related to lighting in mind.

"Intern, we need to get Boston finished by the end of the month. Here is a rough map of the city. Get it done"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 4, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So how long are we going to wait before turn off the TV releases his version of Fallout 4 rebuilt from the ground up?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arcsquad12 posted:

So how long are we going to wait before turn off the TV releases his version of Fallout 4 rebuilt from the ground up?

Assuming that I won't have to load up 3DMax to fix some of this stuff, maybe in an hour.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They keep hinting at Fallout 4 VR. VR gives you motion sickness if it drops below 90FPS and oculus and steam won't allow things that can't maintain that at recommended settings. This will be interesting.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Fallout 4 VR isn't going to be at all what think it's going to be.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Trip report: I did end up needing to use 3ds max so I haven't had a whole lot of time to test things out, but from what I can tell the replacement .nifs won't require any adjustments in the CK. I'm still going to need to do a lot of manual editing to convert many of the 12 triangle models to the two triangle planes, which should hopefully go a long way towards reducing the load from buildings that aren't being culled.

MikeJF posted:

They keep hinting at Fallout 4 VR. VR gives you motion sickness if it drops below 90FPS and oculus and steam won't allow things that can't maintain that at recommended settings. This will be interesting.

Yeah I have no idea what they're thinking. There is no remotely affordable modern hardware that can run that game at 60 FPS, let alone 90+ at the resolutions needed for VR. I have a GTX 1080 and I get sub 20 FPS in downtown Boston.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 4, 2017

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I nuked my install and started over for the millionth time and I'm only getting 30 fps outdoors -- not even downtown --, wish I could remember what I did to earn 45 before

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

:master:
to despawn it, you kill it and get a grenade for the next time you spawn it.

countdown to bronies doing :something: to it.
Meanwhile : you remember that bit in starwars when Luke discovers his aunt and uncle got a flesh detox by some imperial stormies.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23780/ this makes a lot of corpses look like dat.

staberind fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 4, 2017

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I think I am finally ready to go and hit up the auto plant in Horizon. It is crazy that I have spent more than an in game week scavenging before I am at a point where I think I can do one of the first quests in the game. I think I need to get it done now so I can unlock Preston as a companion, Cogsworth just doesn't do a lot of damage and gets in the way all the time. I am even planning my attack which is something I have never even though about in fallout, up through the sewers so I don't get caught in a big firefight up front or in that first big room.

If you are thinking about playing again, Horizon with the True Weather and NAC is amazing. I still jump during thunderstorms sometimes because of how crazy it can sound.

My only frustration with it is some of the crafting requirements are ridiculously specific. Antibiotics need Flint Corn, I cannot find this Flint Corn. I can make both medicinal and herbal antibiotics but both recipes require Flint Corn. I have corn, both bought and grown but it isn't the right type! No idea where to find it because it is a modded item.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 5, 2017

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I keep restarting Horizon and I get caught in a bad resources loop that wears me down. I lived with infection and parasites for what felt like forever until I could afford a doctor. Being able to craft things to help you out is hard enough when it comes to finding the scarce and very specific resources, but on top of that you have those gated behind perks, that are gated behind levels. So you just live with it. I have to quit and come back to it sometimes when I lose an hour or so of progress that sends me all the way back to when I woke up that morning. I want to get over this hump, scavenge stuff further out, actually be able to sneak and take out raiders silently with a crossbow. Right now I can't seem to get out of this sickness simulator. It's rough.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Flubby posted:

Yeah, I keep restarting Horizon and I get caught in a bad resources loop that wears me down. I lived with infection and parasites for what felt like forever until I could afford a doctor. Being able to craft things to help you out is hard enough when it comes to finding the scarce and very specific resources, but on top of that you have those gated behind perks, that are gated behind levels. So you just live with it. I have to quit and come back to it sometimes when I lose an hour or so of progress that sends me all the way back to when I woke up that morning. I want to get over this hump, scavenge stuff further out, actually be able to sneak and take out raiders silently with a crossbow. Right now I can't seem to get out of this sickness simulator. It's rough.

Yeah I gave up after being infested for 3 days and just booked it to Covenant, slept the night there and then used the doctor in the morning. Cost me about 400 caps to clear my infections + clear up my rads and I made most of the money by selling books and cigs to the store there. I got excited when I saw them growing corn but it was just the boring non flint variety.

I really like some of the crafting stuff, like actually using screwdrivers and hammers. But some of it is a little frustrating. I think I am mostly over the resource hump, the first 5 levels are very rough. You really need Hunter 1, Survivalist 1, Medic 1, Gun Nut 1 before you can do anything. Once you can craft ammo you can actually prepare a little better.

Oh and water is a bitch. You need purified water for so much crafting and I didn't realise. You should at least be able to use sanitised water because purified water is at least a midgame item. (Can you fill clean bottles with purified water from the filtered pump or is the only way to get it to wait for it to appear in the settlement inventory?)

Another big issue at the moment is carry space. You need Robiticist 1 to craft the cargo droids for the wristwatch thing and in order to not die I am wearing full raider armour and a stolen railroad jacket I found that is really heavy but has great protection.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 5, 2017

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Are you guys keeping updated? Horizon updates fairly often. Maybe I'm the one behind, but I have made and found antiseptic pretty reliably. Moving up from bandages to medicated bandages was a huge leap and very accomplishing.

Buying and using chems for pharmaceuticals is more limiting than antiseptic in my experience for those advanced bandages.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Chronojam posted:

Are you guys keeping updated? Horizon updates fairly often. Maybe I'm the one behind, but I have made and found antiseptic pretty reliably. Moving up from bandages to medicated bandages was a huge leap and very accomplishing.

Buying and using chems for pharmaceuticals is more limiting than antiseptic in my experience for those advanced bandages.

I have found tons of Antisceptic and always carry a couple of medicated and unmedicated bandages, it's the antidote recipe for infections that I can't craft. I will check for an update tonight though. the fact that drinking dirty water can give you a disease is really nasty.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah I have no idea what they're thinking. There is no remotely affordable modern hardware that can run that game at 60 FPS, let alone 90+ at the resolutions needed for VR. I have a GTX 1080 and I get sub 20 FPS in downtown Boston.

There's a cheat you can do to prevent sickness where you render a lower frame rate on a wider FOV and then run it through an interpolator that keeps the image headtracking at 90FPS, which might be what they're planning. Even so, 20FPS will be low enough that it'll cause issues for movement as well.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 5, 2017

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Have they stated if Fallout 4 VR is an entirely separate game or will it be DLC for 4? If it's a separate thing I could see them re-designing the FPS death-zones to be much simpler than the base game. The dream would be if the thing was just DLC for normal Fallout 4 and they've spent all this time optimizing the world to hit high FPS, something that everyone could potentially benefit from.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

I'm only guessing this is a mod issue, but has anyone had issues with the quest list in your Pipboy bugging out and showing active quests in the wrong area in the quest list? Normally, the list goes from top-to-bottom, active quests -> line separator -> completed quests. But in my game, I'm often seeing one active quest -> line separator -> completed quests -> other active quests and then scrolling through the list causes active quests to move around strangely. Using Pip-Pad, but have been using that for a long time without this issue.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Phrosphor posted:

I think I am finally ready to go and hit up the auto plant in Horizon. It is crazy that I have spent more than an in game week scavenging before I am at a point where I think I can do one of the first quests in the game. I think I need to get it done now so I can unlock Preston as a companion, Cogsworth just doesn't do a lot of damage and gets in the way all the time. I am even planning my attack which is something I have never even though about in fallout, up through the sewers so I don't get caught in a big firefight up front or in that first big room.

If you are thinking about playing again, Horizon with the True Weather and NAC is amazing. I still jump during thunderstorms sometimes because of how crazy it can sound.

My only frustration with it is some of the crafting requirements are ridiculously specific. Antibiotics need Flint Corn, I cannot find this Flint Corn. I can make both medicinal and herbal antibiotics but both recipes require Flint Corn. I have corn, both bought and grown but it isn't the right type! No idea where to find it because it is a modded item.

I'm at about the same place, I had to turn off the NAC radioactive weathers, though. Getting hit with 10 rads every couple of seconds while you are two minutes away from shelter at a dead run is game ending. I found some flint corn very early, there is every wild variety of crop except for tatos and razorgrain in the empty areas of the map north and west of Sanctuary. With the Survival 1 perk you can plant regular crops using the wild varieties and some fertilizer, I think you are supposed to bootstrap yourself up to full farming using those wild crops. They also seem to respawn every few days even without cell resets, not sure if this is a Horizon feature or not.

Also really liking the combat rebalance. I never bothered to use a melee weapon in Fallout 4 before, now with the scarce and expensive ammo combined with the relatively low damage of vermin & pipe weapons I can run around in tempered raider armor with a machete and only use my guns on raiders with bolt action or automatic weapons.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I now get 30+ FPS in pretty much every part of the Financial district, whereas before I usually pulled about 15-25. It's very inconsistent, however. There are still a few more changes that I'd like to make and then I'll upload a test version, probably sometime tomorrow.

Pictured above: I used to get about 15 FPS in this spot.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there any way to prevent the BoS from being hostile to my settlements? I'm a BoS member and doing the Minutemen quests for the time being.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 5, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Okay, here's a test version of the optimization mod. This is a WIP, so don't make any saves while running this mod that you want to use down the line. The main areas which I've touched are those east of Goodneighbor, mostly around the Financial district.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx0wRGisCt_cHc1c1R5OFJIOWM/view?usp=sharing

I'm interested in hearing what, if any, performance impact this has on other people's games, whether there are any noticeable visual bugs. At the moment I'm aware for some issues with occlusion planes, and I haven't gotten around to updating all of the UV maps for certain objects, so things will be a bit odd looking at times.

It's also worth mentioning that the performance improvements are fairly inconsistent, and I'm not sure why. I typically fluctuate around 10 FPS between different save game loads, so YMMV.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I killed a raider in power armour, and after looting the pieces off his corpse he blew up like a fusion car. Is this a horizon thing? It knocked me back about two hours of progress with no warning.

I was on the roof of a building in Lexington and after I came out of the loot menu he had the icon of a car explosion icon pointing at him, before I could really react he blew up.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

This playthrough has gotten progressively stupider.

Codsworth, Ada, Preston, Piper, Danse, and me, on the way to rescue Cait.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Phrosphor posted:

I killed a raider in power armour, and after looting the pieces off his corpse he blew up like a fusion car. Is this a horizon thing? It knocked me back about two hours of progress with no warning.

I was on the roof of a building in Lexington and after I came out of the loot menu he had the icon of a car explosion icon pointing at him, before I could really react he blew up.

Destroying fusion cores creates a mushroom-cloud level of explosion. Most of the time the only way to do this is by deliberately targeting the core in VATS with a gun, but some melee weapons will hit the core anyway which makes them blow up after a few seconds. I dunno if Horizon does anything else to change that, but that's what would cause it in the Vanilla game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

horse mans posted:

Is there any way to prevent the BoS from being hostile to my settlements? I'm a BoS member and doing the Minutemen quests for the time being.

Random BoS patrols probably shouldn't be aggroing on your settlements. If they are, maybe it's because you've used cages and beta wave emitters to tame creatures that passively emit radiation? That tends to get them treated as hostile.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Glazius posted:

Random BoS patrols probably shouldn't be aggroing on your settlements. If they are, maybe it's because you've used cages and beta wave emitters to tame creatures that passively emit radiation? That tends to get them treated as hostile.

I haven't touched any of the workshop DLC in this run. These mobs are coming from WotC. Spawned Minutemen and Brotherhood attack each other, my settlements attack Brotherhood vertibirds, and it sucks since I'm allied to both of them, and having friendly mobs wandering about increases my overall survivability.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

horse mans posted:

I haven't touched any of the workshop DLC in this run. These mobs are coming from WotC. Spawned Minutemen and Brotherhood attack each other, my settlements attack Brotherhood vertibirds, and it sucks since I'm allied to both of them, and having friendly mobs wandering about increases my overall survivability.

You can edit their faction relations with xEdit pretty quickly.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fina posted:

Have they stated if Fallout 4 VR is an entirely separate game or will it be DLC for 4? If it's a separate thing I could see them re-designing the FPS death-zones to be much simpler than the base game. The dream would be if the thing was just DLC for normal Fallout 4 and they've spent all this time optimizing the world to hit high FPS, something that everyone could potentially benefit from.

The two things they have said are that it's going to be the full Fallout 4 game in VR and not a little part and the other is that it's a separate game and has nothing to do with the original Fallout 4.
This was a year ago now so things might have changed but this is what they originally said.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

turn off the TV posted:

Okay, here's a test version of the optimization mod. This is a WIP, so don't make any saves while running this mod that you want to use down the line. The main areas which I've touched are those east of Goodneighbor, mostly around the Financial district.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx0wRGisCt_cHc1c1R5OFJIOWM/view?usp=sharing

I'm interested in hearing what, if any, performance impact this has on other people's games, whether there are any noticeable visual bugs. At the moment I'm aware for some issues with occlusion planes, and I haven't gotten around to updating all of the UV maps for certain objects, so things will be a bit odd looking at times.

It's also worth mentioning that the performance improvements are fairly inconsistent, and I'm not sure why. I typically fluctuate around 10 FPS between different save game loads, so YMMV.

Something is a bit broken near Pickman gallery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

beyonder posted:

Something is a bit broken near Pickman gallery.

That looks like a bug with the previs system. That cell/cell block will need to be regenerated or I'll have to clean it in xEdit. It's pretty annoying when it happens because I'm never completely sure why.