Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zeroisanumber posted:

No CBO score? No problem!

This is just one more thing that I really hope hammers into Democrats how much they need to quit loving around looking for "bipartisanship" and "reaching across the aisle" to lunatics and spite driven assholes while ignoring their own base to get there.

Republicans will nuke the filibuster they used day in and day out for years, scream about deficit when it's Democrat anything then ignore it the next day and demand a CBO score on everything just to make good sound bites at your expense then ramrod their poo poo through and claim it's your fault if you try to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zeroisanumber posted:

No CBO score? No problem!

My only hope is that it passes and becomes law because it's laser-targeted towards killing Trump's poor, old, rural idiot base.

They can't pass it through reconciliation if the CBO doesn't score it neutral.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

A Bad Poster posted:

gently caress it, we'll do it live!

This was bugging me for like two hours before I could place it.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/859879560132915200

No checkmark or corroboration but give it a try anyway, because there are a lot of non Republicans who will suffer and die needlessly if this barbaric trash somehow passes the senate.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

GoGoGadget posted:

This is the east gate at Ft. Leonard Wood currently

Without flooding:

Edit: why the gently caress is the grass that long? It's a basic training site...have some Privates mow that poo poo, drat

At least I44 in that area reopened today.

https://twitter.com/MoDOT_Central/status/859088439127543810

Mostly.

Hopefully it stays open, I've got tickets to go see GOTG2 next week in Waynesville.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/859879560132915200

No checkmark or corroboration but give it a try anyway, because there are a lot of non Republicans who will suffer and die needlessly if this barbaric trash somehow passes the senate.

omg they're killing themselves for trump

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

omg they're killing themselves for trump

Nah they're killing themselves because they're almost literally cranking their dicks off at the thought of imposing a big tax hike on the poor and slashing taxes for business and the rich.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...2dc2a4dc7997215

quote:

QUEEN Elizabeth II’s entire staff from across the United Kingdom has been summoned to an emergency meeting at Buckingham Palace today, according to reports.

Does this timeline get even darker today? Granted both of them are old as hell.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 4, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Holy poo poo, if the queen goes down I'm 2/3 for my death pool. Rest in something funny, Don Rickles :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Its fine until BBC Radio 1 plays Haunted Dancehall.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DoktorLoken posted:

:(

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
It's Phillip.

He was a regressive old gently caress.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's Phillip.

OR IS IT?

On the upside, Liz can finally get back to tinder.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

OR IS IT?

On the upside, Liz can finally get back to tinder.

Do consorts get to inherit anything, or am I off the Royal Dole the second she kicks it?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nothing the royals have done in the past 100 years was as embarrassing as what happened here within the past year, and that includes Edward VIII marrying a whore and sucking up to Hitler. I wish Liz was our head of state.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

Nothing the royals have done in the past 100 years was as embarrassing as what happened here within the past year, and that includes Edward VIII marrying a whore and sucking up to Hitler. I wish Liz was our head of state.

Wallis Simpson banged Joachim von Ribbentrop, Edward VII getting to play second banana to Hitler's idiot foreign minister and later getting banished by his own brother to Bermuda for being too pro-Nazi was pretty goddamn embarrassing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

Wallis Simpson banged Joachim von Ribbentrop, Edward VII getting to play second banana to Hitler's idiot foreign minister and later getting banished by his own brother to Bermuda for being too pro-Nazi was pretty goddamn embarrassing.
Counterpoint.

I'm a big boy!

More like 4th, 5th, 6th, or who knows how many bananas were in her, she was married twice before.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Can someone translate

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

That used to really work, although they've been private proofed since. MOH citation for Beauford T. Anderson:

quote:

He displayed conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty. When a powerfully conducted predawn Japanese counterattack struck his unit's flank, he ordered his men to take cover in an old tomb, and then, armed only with a carbine, faced the onslaught alone. After emptying 1 magazine at pointblank range into the screaming attackers, he seized an enemy mortar dud and threw it back among the charging Japs, killing several as it burst. Securing a box of mortar shells, he extracted the safety pins, banged the bases upon a rock to arm them and proceeded alternately to hurl shells and fire his piece among the fanatical foe, finally forcing them to withdraw. Despite the protests of his comrades, and bleeding profusely from a severe shrapnel wound, he made his way to his company commander to report the action. T/Sgt. Anderson's intrepid conduct in the face of overwhelming odds accounted for 25 enemy killed and several machineguns and knee mortars destroyed, thus single-handedly removing a serious threat to the company's flank.

Like, how in the gently caress do you fit through doorways with balls that big? I mean yeah there's persevering in the face of intense enemy opposition, and then there's loving banging mortars on rocks to arm them and hurling into the face of a charging enemy force. Like, what the gently caress do you do after you have become the literal paragon of badassedness?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zeris posted:

Can someone translate

Oi mate I'll gently caress you up you oval office

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's Phillip.

He was a regressive old gently caress.

Phillip owns. It's the greatest troll in modern English history and has the quotes to prove it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Phillip owns. It's the greatest troll in modern English history and has the quotes to prove it.
Yep

The one that made me laugh the most is when he asked some Aborigines if they still threw spears at each other.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zeris posted:

Can someone translate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPMDCJrRpT8

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

According to the local rag, both Liz and Phill are still alive undead

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 4, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

No one's found their phylacteries yet.

Also Philip is the royal family's distraction troll. They throw him out whenever something embarrassing happens and everyone just laughs at the racist old dude and it's great

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

orange juche posted:

Like, how in the gently caress do you fit through doorways with balls that big? I mean yeah there's persevering in the face of intense enemy opposition, and then there's loving banging mortars on rocks to arm them and hurling into the face of a charging enemy force. Like, what the gently caress do you do after you have become the literal paragon of badassedness?

Serve as mayor and retire to your cattle ranch, apparently.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

orange juche posted:

Become a US Senator.

quote:

On April 21, 1945, Inouye was grievously wounded while leading an assault on a heavily defended ridge near San Terenzo in Tuscany, Italy, called the Colle Musatello. The ridge served as a strongpoint of the German fortifications known as the Gothic Line, the last and most unyielding line of German defensive works in Italy. As he led his platoon in a flanking maneuver, three German machine guns opened fire from covered positions 40 yards away, pinning his men to the ground. Inouye stood up to attack and was shot in the stomach. Ignoring his wound, he proceeded to attack and destroy the first machine gun nest with hand grenades and his Thompson submachine gun. When informed of the severity of his wound, he refused treatment and rallied his men for an attack on the second machine gun position, which he successfully destroyed before collapsing from blood loss.[13]

As his squad distracted the third machine gunner, Inouye crawled toward the final bunker, coming within 10 yards. As he raised himself up and cocked his arm to throw his last grenade, a German soldier inside the bunker fired a rifle grenade, which struck his right elbow, nearly severing most of his arm and leaving his primed grenade reflexively "clenched in a fist that suddenly didn't belong to me anymore".[14] Inouye's horrified soldiers moved to his aid, but he shouted for them to keep back out of fear his severed fist would involuntarily relax and drop the grenade. While the German inside the bunker reloaded his rifle, Inouye pried the live grenade from his useless right hand and transferred it to his left. As the enemy soldier aimed his rifle at him, Inouye tossed the grenade into the bunker and destroyed it. He stumbled to his feet and continued forward, silencing the last German resistance with a one-handed burst from his Thompson before being wounded in the leg and tumbling unconscious to the bottom of the ridge. He awoke to see the worried men of his platoon hovering over him. His only comment before being carried away was to order them back to their positions, saying "Nobody called off the war!"[15]
You can browse all Medal of Honor recipients. They get really detailed around WW1/WW2. A lot of the citations before Vietnam are of a repetitive, ordinary sort of heroism: diving on mines and grenades. At some point they stopped awarding the MOH for diving on grenades, presumably because they would rather you always try to save yourself. They even awarded the MOH for...uh...

quote:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the 4th Marine Division during action against enemy Japanese forces on Roi Island, Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands, 1 February 1944. Entering a shell crater occupied by 3 other marines, Pfc. Anderson was preparing to throw a grenade at an enemy position when it slipped from his hands and rolled toward the men at the bottom of the hole. With insufficient time to retrieve the armed weapon and throw it, Pfc. Anderson fearlessly chose to sacrifice himself and save his companions by hurling his body upon the grenade and taking the full impact of the explosion. His personal valor and exceptional spirit of loyalty in the face of almost certain death were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

A lot of the citations before Vietnam are of a repetitive, ordinary sort of heroism: diving on mines and grenades. At some point they stopped awarding the MOH for diving on grenades, presumably because they would rather you always try to save yourself. They even awarded the MOH for...uh...

what the gently caress? diving on a mine or grenade isnt ordinary heroism, and there have been several moh awards during the gwot for doing so. its how kyle carpenter earned his, and fortunately hes still alive. its also how jason dunham, michael a monsoor, and ross a mcginnis got theirs, but unfortunately they didnt live through the experience

you sound like a total cock by mocking people who willingly sacrificed themselves to save their buddies

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I got to serve in the same company as this badass

quote:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty at Noemfoor Island, Dutch New Guinea, 23 July 1944. While moving to the relief of a platoon isolated by the enemy, his company encountered a strong enemy position supported by machinegun, rifle, and mortar fire. Sgt. Eubanks was ordered to make an attack with 1 squad to neutralize the enemy by fire in order to assist the advance of his company. He maneuvered his squad to within 30 yards of the enemy where heavy fire checked his advance. Directing his men to maintain their fire, he and 2 scouts worked their way forward up a shallow depression to within 25 yards of the enemy. Directing the scouts to remain in place, Sgt. Eubanks armed himself with an automatic rifle and worked himself forward over terrain swept by intense fire to within 15 yards of the enemy position when he opened fire with telling effect. The enemy, having located his position, concentrated their fire with the result that he was wounded and a bullet rendered his rifle useless. In spite of his painful wounds he immediately charged the enemy and using his weapon as a club killed 4 of the enemy before he was himself again hit and killed. Sgt. Eubanks' heroic action, courage, and example in leadership so inspired his men that their advance was successful. They killed 45 of the enemy and drove the remainder from the position, thus effecting the relief of our beleaguered troops.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Holy poo poo

How do you beat 4 dudes to death with a club when they are shooting at you

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

what the gently caress? diving on a mine or grenade isnt ordinary heroism, and there have been several moh awards during the gwot for doing so. its how kyle carpenter earned his, and fortunately hes still alive. its also how jason dunham, michael a monsoor, and ross a mcginnis got theirs, but unfortunately they didnt live through the experience

you sound like a total cock by mocking people who willingly sacrificed themselves to save their buddies
I stand corrected on the MOH for grenade dives; I noticed when browsing that they dropped off dramatically after WW2 and figured it reflected a policy change.

It was not my intention to denigrate those who sacrifice themselves to save their buddies. When I said "ordinary sort of heroism" I was still calling them heroes.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Two Finger posted:

Holy poo poo

How do you beat 4 dudes to death with a club when they are shooting at you

Not just a club, a BAR that was disabled by enemy fire.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

I stand corrected on the MOH for grenade dives; I noticed when browsing that they dropped off dramatically after WW2 and figured it reflected a policy change.

It was not my intention to denigrate those who sacrifice themselves to save their buddies. When I said "ordinary sort of heroism" I was still calling them heroes.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Become a US Senator.

You can browse all Medal of Honor recipients. They get really detailed around WW1/WW2. A lot of the citations before Vietnam are of a repetitive, ordinary sort of heroism: diving on mines and grenades. At some point they stopped awarding the MOH for diving on grenades, presumably because they would rather you always try to save yourself. They even awarded the MOH for...uh...

ive bolded the part of your post that could easily be misconstrued as mocking someone who acted completely against his own instinct of self preservation and thus deserves to be recognized for his sacrifice. it kind of throws your whole point into question

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

ive bolded the part of your post that could easily be misconstrued as mocking someone who acted completely against his own instinct of self preservation and thus deserves to be recognized for his sacrifice. it kind of throws your whole point into question
Except for that guy. He got the MOH for dropping a grenade and then diving on it. Award him something for doing the right thing but I'd prefer we reserve the highest honor for people who aren't just fixing their own incredible gently caress-up. If I playfully shoved you, but you unexpectedly fell over onto the road, but I pulled you back just before a car ran you over, would you thank me for saving your life? You'd be happy I saved you but I was still the whole reason you almost died.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

Except for that guy. He got the MOH for dropping a grenade and then diving on it. Award him something for doing the right thing but I'd prefer we reserve the highest honor for people who aren't just fixing their own incredible gently caress-up. If I playfully shoved you, but you unexpectedly fell over onto the road, but I pulled you back just before a car ran you over, would you thank me for saving your life? You'd be happy I saved you but I was still the whole reason you almost died.

except you dont know the circumstances that caused the grenade to slip from his hand. the people who were there did, and based on their accounts he was deemed a worthy recipient

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
here you go, an actual indepth account of the incident

quote:

"On 1 February 1944, our company (E Co, 2nd Btln, 23rd Regiment) hit the beach (Red Beach 2) at 1200 hours in the first assault wave of amphibious tractors. Resistance was minimal when compared to Saipan and Iwo Jima. The beach was rather narrow in width approximately 75 feet and facing us was a coconut log bulwarks about 6 foot high backed by sand. This gave us some protection from incoming rifle and machine gun fire. However, parallel fire coming down the beach was taking its toll in casualties and forward movement was necessary. In the tractor group, I was the first one to climb over the retaining wall, and was shortly followed by others. Large bomb craters were everywhere from US Naval shore bombardment and shelling. A few concrete bunkers were temporarily occupied by the Japanese which were soon killed and some committed Hari Kiri."

"Sometime around 1500 hours (3 PM) I had advanced about 2/3 of the way across Roi Island and found myself alone in a large shell crater. I was receiving small arms fire from enemy snipers in front of me about 300 yards away. I could see Marines advancing on both flanks and some coming up from behind me. I was shortly joined by Lt. Joseph Salome and Sgt. Joseph Kennedy and the three of us were side by side peering forward from the shell crater. The incoming fire lessened and I became aware of a new Marine who had entered the crater. Taking a second look, I discovered it was PFC. Richard Anderson, a mortar man. Why he was so far forward without his mortar crew only God knows. I always thought he came forward to observe before going back to direct mortar fire. He was a drat good mortar man and could "lay his eggs in the basket" without even using the base plate on the launcher. He was one of the few who could sight in his mortar without using the sights provided with the mortar."

"I saw Richard remove his pack, lay his rifle down and remove a canister of grenades. I saw him take the top off of the canister and then I looked away. The next thing I heard was a pop and as I looked down at him I was aware he had a live grenade in his hand. This was a point of contention with Lt. Salome and myself. I maintained there was no reason for Anderson to pull the pin on a grenade while in the bottom of a 15 foot crater (with the nearest enemy 300 yards away). Where would he have thrown it? It is my belief, and God knows I've thought about this a thousand times in 53 years, that the canister had a live grenade in it, or the pin sheared, and the handle flew off and Anderson had a hot grenade in his hand. Anderson's actions at this point were nothing but heroic. He threw it backwards over his shoulder much like you would a hot potato and it rolled back to him. At this point he pulled it into his groin and said "Oh my God" as he curled around it the grenade exploded. His actions shielded the other three of us from certain injury and possible death. Lt. Salome made one tremendous leap clear across the crater and lay there shouting, "Oh my legs, my legs." Sgt. Kennedy and I went to Lt. Salome and found him to be uninjured. He immediately left the crater and went to the rear. Sgt. Kennedy and I then went to Anderson. He was in terrible shape, with both hands missing, intestines exposed, and parts of his face and chest missing. We called for a corpsman and stretcher. Morphine was administered and plasma given. He was removed to the beach and surgeons treated him as best they could. Anderson hung in there until the following morning when he died from his wounds. One Hell of a Marine!"

"E Company with all of its replacements now totals about 100 men remaining. About 20 of the original 246 remain alive that made all four invasions. All are Purple Heart owners. Several won the Silver Star, several the Bronze Star, the Navy Cross, Legion of Merit and one Medal of Honor given posthumously to PFC Richard B. Anderson. They were all good men and I am darn proud to have been one of them all the way. I've always regretted I was unable to meet the parents of Richard Anderson. I have always felt he made the ultimate sacrifice for his comrades, and that I have been on loan from God to witness the horrors of war and the supreme sacrifice of young men for their country."
Private Harry Pearce

but keep telling yourself he doesnt deserve it

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

holy poo poo

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Gobbeldygook posted:

I don't think this is the hill you want to die on.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Admittedly there were some kind of dumb ones in WWII. At the Luke AFB NCO Club they had huge volumes of all the MOH winners, and I remember by chance finding a group of maybe 6 dudes who were trying to cross a fast river in the night in Germany who all wound up drowning. None of them could swim. But somehow they got MOHs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Kazinsal posted:

No one's found their phylacteries yet.

Also Philip is the royal family's distraction troll. They throw him out whenever something embarrassing happens and everyone just laughs at the racist old dude and it's great

Not anymore it seems

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/860058676383682565

• Locked thread