Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

I said come in! posted:

Are there pretty significant differences with Legends?

Moderate differences. The skill system is the biggest revamp with the removal of the wheel, which is replaced by skill trees. Items now leveled up by feeding them other items and crafting is completely gone. Pax Romana is now used to upgrade items and is pretty rare. There's another currency (marks of something) that is used for purchasing other poo poo and it seems to come only from daily challenges. That 2nd currency is also what you can exchange for real life currency via Aurum (think gems in GW2, Zen in Neverwinter, etc.). Each weapon now has a gimmick mechanic that sometimes sucks. Agartha is now a capital city with bank/AH/vendors/open RP space.

A new build came out a few days ago that introduced the Warlock class and this really bad particle effect that appears over paths on the ground (e.g. follow the blood trail) that makes it super obvious and is really jarring. There's also a new skillbar UI that's very brightly colored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

quote:

There's another currency (marks of something) that is used for purchasing other poo poo and it seems to come only from daily challenges. That 2nd currency is also what you can exchange for real life currency via Aurum (think gems in GW2, Zen in Neverwinter, etc.).

Yup they hosed up the economy again.

I've been hearing complaints the game was "pay to progress in a reasonable timeframe" and welp that is what it sounds like.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 2, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
But they removed the interesting-but-bad crafting! :downs:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Tallgeese posted:

Yup they hosed up the economy again.

I've been hearing complaints the game was "pay to progress in a reasonable timeframe" and welp that is what it sounds like.

Also note that the second currency is what you pay to unlock weapons... It looks like you will be restricted to two weapons until you unlock the others.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Exmond posted:

Also note that the second currency is what you pay to unlock weapons... It looks like you will be restricted to two weapons until you unlock the others.

Unless you own the original game. IIRC they said all weapons will be unlocked if you bought normal TSW.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Still no email from Funcom but I'm.about to be goddamned rich as soon as I wire money over to this guy in Russia. See ya later shitlords!

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Len posted:

Still no email from Funcom but I'm.about to be goddamned rich as soon as I wire money over to this guy in Russia. See ya later shitlords!

Are the beta keys transferable? I received one a few days ago but have no plans to sign up

e: gone

Shy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 2, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shy posted:

Are the beta keys transferable? I received one a few days ago but have no plans to sign up

I'll test it out pm me if you can or I can drop an email in the thread

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Shy posted:

They are.

One of the initial problems was that apparently most of the first wave beta keys went to keysellers.

Fun huh?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 2, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

poo poo man I'd love a free key. Jzurcher89 at gmail

Edit: I'll repay you when my millions get here

Len fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 2, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Installing right now and my forum access is back :getin:

Can't wait to see how many long standing bugs from TSW classic are still in so I can report them. I hope the cabal rank resetting is still a thing because that one's hosed.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Is it just a key you apply on the account page then? I assumed it'd be tied to the email address they sent it to.

Edit: in case it needs saying, I'll happily trade undying gratitude for a beta key :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 2, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

Is it just a key you apply on the account page then? I assumed it'd be tied to the email address they sent it to.

Yeah

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

No wait I want a beta key, my country can't enter the store page for the game! Pleaaase

I'm Diegonunezs at Hotmail

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

One of the most visible changes to me is the flow of the game. You used to zone into Kingsmouth and be able to do pretty much any mission except the few that are chains. Now dawning of an endless night holds your hand and guides you through the zone. You have one side mission available initially and the main mission sends you to the sheriff's office. A few quests there (not all of them) and you're sent to visit Norma, and so on. So it's really pushing you to follow a much more linear flow, which I guess helps people not stampede through the main mission and get crushed in blue mountain. There are also auto bestowing quests that come up in a few areas like "hey kill 8 of these wisps quickly" but they're not marked in any way so it's a surprise when they come up.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The account page after key entry has a weird required field you can't select anything on, and I can't get past it. Goddamn it Funcom.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's interesting to me that I couldn't use my original account name for this one. I assumed Funcom wouldn't think that far ahead.

Also NeutralBillMurray is too long for their text field.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I say that you try NeuterBillMurray.

There you go!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Is the siren song mission still in it? That one had great atmosphere and was a nice transition from zombies everywhere all the time.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I bought a key from a shady website for four english pounds. Result. :v:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Did it actually work?

Supposedly when SWL first appeared they were being sold for 50.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Tallgeese posted:

Did it actually work?

I had to mail support to get the beta key entry screen, but it worked for me.

(Around $12)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Tallgeese posted:

Did it actually work?

Yes. I have no idea if linking to dodgy sites is against the rules but it was the first google result for "secret world legends beta key".

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So if crafting is gone now how do they handle missions that used it as a mechanic?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Pilchenstein posted:

I bought a key from a shady website for four english pounds. Result. :v:

Thought this was too good to be true. Happy to be completely wrong.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

macnbc posted:

So if crafting is gone now how do they handle missions that used it as a mechanic?

Hmm, I'm not sure, I haven't run into one yet. There is a new 'upgrade' interface that you use to combine items to empower other items, but it won't function the same way. Maybe those have been removed entirely or will assemble themselves when you have the right parts. Not sure how it'll impact lair summoning items either.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hopefully lair summoning is just redone completely. Good idea poor execution.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Finally home and getting to try it. Immediately disappointed by lack of mullet in the character creation screen.

Edit: game redeemed by letting me pop a collar.

Triple edit: Hammer/shotgun tanking? is default? Interesting.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Oh good, my mainstay from my character that I took up to the end of vanilla content before my group disbanded!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Here's the short of things from my perspective after playing a bit.

++ Great Quality of life improvements all over the game. Interface, quest flow, simplification etc.
+ Some new content (New dungeon portal in Kingsmouth that isn't open yet: Festering Maw)
+ Some of the new specs are more fun than the old specs

-+ New skill system removes all attack types (burst, strike, etc.). There aren't really any cross weapon passives any more. Just passives that you slot to affect skills and pure passive states.
-+ Reticle targeting is just a thin veneer over a lock-on system. You just auto-lock on to whatever you are pointing at.

--As it is right now the monetization will absolutely kill the relaunch. There a limited currency that you can only receive about 10k a day of right now. It takes 60k of that to unlock a new weapon. 10-30k per sprint level. 20K to remove a signet or glyph. Variable amounts for clothing. There's a death penalty like repair cost (10% per death) that takes 100. You get 6 free dungeon loots a day and it's another 100 per loot beyond that. It's like the f2p system of a terrible gpotato MMO. Having the currency for weapons, sprints, appearances, etc is fine. You can save up to unlock the things you want as a free player. It's slower but possible. Having it linked to basic activity like deaths and dungeon loot is awful.

Basically, there's lots of poo poo they did that should have been in the original launch. It looks, feels, and plays like a good modern game. However, the monetization will completely sink it if they don't do something about it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

That makes me glad they didn't mass invite grand masters, since grand masters wouldn't give a gently caress about any of that. That's real poo poo and will kill the game (again) if it makes it to live.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

What do you mean by 100 per loot? Like, you have to pay premium currency to pick up loot?

Apologies if that seems ignorant to ask; I can't immediately believe that to be true because of how absurd it sounds

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Capntastic posted:

What do you mean by 100 per loot? Like, you have to pay premium currency to pick up loot?

Apologies if that seems ignorant to ask; I can't immediately believe that to be true because of how absurd it sounds

Basically bosses drop loot chests. You get 6 free keys a day to unlock them. Extra keys are 100 marks (the limited currency). There's another currency that is the actual pay money currency (aurum). You can trade marks for aurum and vice versa through the AH.

They showed this on one of the streams with detail if you want to watch it. Not sure which stream.

Edit: One more thing that makes the boss loot keys a necessity. Gear works like this. All gear starts at level 1 and you upgrade it. Gear is mostly identical other than attack, healing, or tanking skewed stats and special abilities on some of it.

To upgrade gear you feed other gear to it. It's roughly three pieces = one level. However, there is no random loot. None. The only items you get come from finishing missions, killing rares for the first time, or dungeons. Because missions have a cooldown there is a maximum amount of items you can get to upgrade your gear from non-dungeon sources. So you have to do dungeons. But those are locked at 6 hours too.

So you have to farm heavily to get the piece you want with the right stats and special abilities then farm ~150 pieces of gear to upgrade it. All while having some pretty severe time gating due to mission timers and dungeon keys.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 4, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

...what.

No random loot completely defeats the point of killing open world monsters. That is insane.

Then there's the death penalty. That is awful beyond words and will utterly decimate anyone's desire to play pick up groups without hyper optimized gear.

Then there's the economy.

TSW's economy was already trash, with nothing being worth anything except a small subset of signets and rare cosmetics. It's going to happen again, but now you can't grind up Pax.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 4, 2017

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Not gonna lie, that's all very disappointing to hear. The currency poo poo is bad enough, but it sounds like they dumbed down just about everything I liked about the gameplay. Not even having skill subtypes is a major bummer.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Oof. I don't really know all the implications of all of that since I basically quit/forgot about TSW shortly after reaching Blue Mountain, but it sounds like they're trying to mimic a few parts of Destiny circa early The Taken King expansion (Time gated currency, gear infusion) but somehow even worse. Games usually don't make their main general purpose currency a time gated one

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm only just poking around the new stuff but maybe that's just to keep people from steamrolling what little beta content there is?

Maybe

Right?:smithicide:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

cant wait for this its gonna be so fun spending currency to pick up loot

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Monetization in free to play or buy to play games is weird but holy moley it seems pretty dastardly to put a paywall right in the middle of the "kill bosses to get new loot" loop; it is a disincentive to even play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Im shamefully a Grandmaster so it won't cost me anything except my dignity and time to see it again. If nothing else I wouldn't mind seeing the story again.

• Locked thread