Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Can't park for free if in a 20km radius of Lang Park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bogan King posted:

It would be much better if parking meters destroyed Brisbane.

Anidav posted:

I wish Brisbane destroyed parking meters too

Why not do both?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Samson option

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008

JBP posted:

Striking has never been legal in Australia. It's not legal in most countries due to being breach of contract and whatever other local laws there are. Thanks to the stupid loving accord we have an IR system that makes you go to a gov department to get permission to strike without fines via enterprise bargaining.

Striking should be an act of legal and industrial defiance. It's disgusting that you can get fined for it, but you can't be jailed outside of the construction industry (which is a whole other level of hosed up).

The strike at Fairfax is "unlawful" because it doesn't follow the rules for striking and the government can impose fines. More often than not these fines are not handed down and the parties are given scope to resolve the dispute. Have a look at the Woolworths MLDC wildcat as an example from last year.

So a union can not call an unfined strike if negotiations with employers break down unless they get permission from whatever the relevant government department is? That's so weird that there is no right to strike. Are their guidelines for the government on when they should permit it? Can an employer get the government to come break the strike if it's not permitted? Is there anywhere to read up on this?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Axel Ferguson posted:

So a union can not call an unfined strike if negotiations with employers break down unless they get permission from whatever the relevant government department is? That's so weird that there is no right to strike. Are their guidelines for the government on when they should permit it? Can an employer get the government to come break the strike if it's not permitted? Is there anywhere to read up on this?

The basic breakdown from a functional perspective is:

- You must have an expired enterprise agreement, or be able to demonstrate that you are endeavouring to negotiate a new agreement (by having done a majority support ballot for a site EBA).
- You meet three times to negotiate an EBA (this is the most basic test applied to good faith bargaining).
- You fail to agree.
- The union runs a protected action ballot with the workers and if >50% agree to industrial action (bans, strikes, work to rule, no OT, etc) you can take it.
- You then apply to Fair Work for protected industrial action and the company receives three days notice of this action allowing them to fire up scabs and satellite workplaces to undermine your strike action.

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/how-we-will-help/templates-and-guides/fact-sheets/rights-and-obligations/industrial-action

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Rumours going round that Prince Phillip has died.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Something very very urgent is happening at Buckingham Palace

Quite possibly the Queen has died, or Prince Phillip.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Rumours going round that Prince Phillip has died.

Good.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I guess now we'll have to endure Turnbull trying to salvage his legacy with another republic referendum.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I hope Prince Phillip didn't die, he's the fun one.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It looks like the Queen had died.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Won't happen and we'd vote to stay if it did anyway. Can't kick 'em when their down! *Cuts wellfair*.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Where were you when Prince Phillip died?

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Where were you when Prince Phillip died?

Possibly on the toilet, would help if we had an exact time to figure this out.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Bogan King posted:

Looks like Melbourne is going to go full Arab Springs soon

What.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/smurray38/status/859964188726145024

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

It was paid parking in upper middle class suburbs of the Arab Springs that set everything off.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is calling the inner west upper middle class a new meme?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Lid posted:

Something very very urgent is happening at Buckingham Palace

Quite possibly the Queen has died, or Prince Phillip.

Where is this being reported?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Fake news.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Nowhere outside of unconfirmed tweets.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

JBP posted:

Is calling the inner west upper middle class a new meme?

I just used words that fit the zeitgeist of the sort to get militant over parking meters.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mad Katter posted:

All the wire services are carrying a story about an unusually short notice, all hands meeting of the royal household staff being called for right now. Prince Phillip being the reason is twitter speculation.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mad Katter posted:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Buckingham%20Palace%22&src=tren

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogan King posted:

I just used words that fit the zeitgeist of the sort to get militant over parking meters.

It's a gentrified area but the parking meters thing is bullshit because it basically damages all of the OG residents with small businesses in Yarraville to try and grift the bougies. The most hard nosed violent reprisals are unsurprisingly coming from people that have always lived in the area and solve community issues with proudly local Fisher cricket bats or pure bred Macedonian muscle.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Is anyone here from Tasmania? I have to vote in the legislative council election this weekend but I haven't been here long and know nothing about state politics.

My options are Labor, Shooters & Fishers and 4 independents.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Is anyone here from Tasmania? I have to vote in the legislative council election this weekend but I haven't been here long and know nothing about state politics.

My options are Labor, Shooters & Fishers and 4 independents.

Which Division?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I didn't realise Tasmania had a state government.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
#putoutyourracistjokes

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/dannolan/status/859973030063226880

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Liberal MPs are gearing up to have a war over the Catholic school funding poo poo.

This is going to be good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

#putoutyourracistjokes
I choose to remember him as a Knight of the Order of Australia.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JBP posted:

Liberal MPs are gearing up to have a war over the Catholic school funding poo poo.

This is going to be good.

How can they be expected to protect pedophile priests and rotate them overseas when the heat is on with such drastic cuts to their funding?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
His last words were probably making fun of the Indian doctor in attendance.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"hahaha no but seriously, you're alright Dr Patel" *dies*

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Looks like it may just have been Prince Philip getting caught speeding.

https://twitter.com/nswpolice/status/859980263798956033

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm still laughing at this post

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's apparently not the Queen or Philip according to some TV website in new Zealand - maybe Charles?

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/wor...ergency-meeting

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

QE2's wiimote has gone missing for the last motherfucking time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Rumney

• Locked thread