Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I really don't think being able to fall back is going to damage assault armies all that much. Unless you're assaulting with one unit at a time with no support (I do this, with my 1 unit of Sicarian Infiltrators), you're going to be able to get into combat with multiple units at a time.

Plus, even if a unit does fall back and they have a gun line, they're still going to have to shoot through that same unit to hit your dudes, which will most likely result in some save for your assault guys. If they have the high ground, then you'll have to engage them or focus on them, but either way a unit that falls back still has to spend an entire turn not killing anything.

It's just as tactical as it is now. No, you won't be able to march across the table and cut everything to pieces. You'll have to engage multiple units at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I reckon if you manage to Assault multiple units on a good turn you're going to be winning the game, but if you don't time it and all your dudes assault separately they're going to get feinted and shot to poo poo, which is kind of fair enough.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I think I will be glad that the whole "I need Combat to end on your turn so I can shoot the poo poo out of you" aspect will basically disappear.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JBP posted:

I reckon if you manage to Assault multiple units on a good turn you're going to be winning the game, but if you don't time it and all your dudes assault separately they're going to get feinted and shot to poo poo, which is kind of fair enough.

Yeah, I agree with that. Though generally, it's hard for me to gauge some of the scenarios people are throwing out because it's hard to tell what's the new rules vs. tactics. Like if your plan is to walk across the table and crash directly into the middle of your opponent's carefully-placed gunlines then yeah, you're going to get shithoused, and you'll deserve it and I don't think the rules should reward you for that. On the other hand, I can see it being difficult to survive long enough to wreck two units that have been properly set up to fall back and shoot you as you advance on them.

Plus we haven't seen anything on transports yet, nothing on deep strike, nothing substantial on characters, and we have no idea what kind of bonuses unit sizes or specific factions will have. There are things about the rules I don't like, and things I do like, and it's totally fair to make judgments about whether you like those mechanics. But I think it's still impossible to judge how *good* assault is, or shooting, or any tactic until we've got the full rules.

Uroboros posted:

I think I will be glad that the whole "I need Combat to end on your turn so I can shoot the poo poo out of you" aspect will basically disappear.

Yeah that's one of the worst parts of 40k for me--you never want to win combat decisively under the current rules

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm looking forward to making a jetpack charge into a support ranged unit while assaulting their forward line at the same time with bread and butter tacticals. What now fuckers?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I'm looking forward to making a jetpack charge into a support ranged unit while assaulting their forward line at the same time with bread and butter tacticals. What now fuckers?

Tau overwatches hitting on 2+, game over.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JBP posted:

This guy gets it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'll probably end up buying some Ogryns for my Steel Legion - having a little unit of morons with power weapons ready to help out seems like a good idea.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Ogryns have cool models but I always felt weirded out by the idea of the military use of clearly deformed and mentally retarded people that get pats on the back from dudes dressed up like SS captains who view them as sub-human

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Uroboros posted:

Now as it appears with the (incomplete) rules if combat ends on your turn you're left stranded and get the poo poo shot out of you, and if goes to his turn he either withdraws from combat and shoots the poo poo out of you or stays in combat, shoots you with his pistols in his shooting phase then activates his dudes and swings before yours in the assault phase.

This is after getting into position under fire, surviving overwatch fire, making your random charge move successfully, being hit back in combat and testing your cumulative losses against a very swingy 1D6 roll for battleshock. It just seems to me you can do everything right and still get royally hosed in assault, just like now.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hmm, another thing that I'm curious about is Hammer of Wrath. It might actually be useful in this edition if it gets any sort of AP.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

goose willis posted:

Ogryns have cool models but I always felt weirded out by the idea of the military use of clearly deformed and mentally retarded people that get pats on the back from dudes dressed up like SS captains who view them as sub-human

Thanks for ruining ogryns for me! Heh.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

goose willis posted:

I can't help but feel that was kind of the point, the whole point of 40k, originally, was to be satirical of British fascism.

...then many fans became actual fascists and it got weird.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah old 40k was very much in the Judge Dredd school of satire.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Lol, this is a pretty grimdark take. I always viewed them as cavemen - barbarians from really primitive worlds, more neanderthal than handicapped.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
actual nazi imperial guard army.jpg

- re: Ogryns, they've tried to move them away from being genuinely retarded, and more into the 'angry ogre' style in recent editions.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

Now as it appears with the (incomplete) rules if combat ends on your turn you're left stranded and get the poo poo shot out of you, and if goes to his turn he either withdraws from combat and shoots the poo poo out of you or stays in combat, shoots you with his pistols in his shooting phase then activates his dudes and swings before yours in the assault phase.

This is after getting into position under fire, surviving overwatch fire, making your random charge move successfully, being hit back in combat and testing your cumulative losses against a very swingy 1D6 roll for battleshock. It just seems to me you can do everything right and still get royally hosed in assault, just like now.

I don't think that is how it will go down. I just meant currently you didn't want to wipe units out on the turn you charged them, because getting stuck in combat during opponents shooting phase was favorable. Now it seems they can withdraw anyway, making this irrelevant, and combat seems so deadly now that it might make charges more of an actual fight instead of abunch of Marines having a sissy slap fight in melee, because no one brought power weapons.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Uroboros posted:

I don't think that is how it will go down. I just meant currently you didn't want to wipe units out on the turn you charged them, because getting stuck in combat during opponents shooting phase was favorable. Now it seems they can withdraw anyway, making this irrelevant, and combat seems so deadly now that it might make charges more of an actual fight instead of abunch of Marines having a sissy slap fight in melee, because no one brought power weapons.

Why is combat so deadly now? I can't work out how it's going to be more decisive from the stuff I've read.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The absolute worst part about 8th edition? They're retconning how space marines reproduce by abducting prepubescent boys and pumping them full of geene seed. Which is the only way they can reproduce. Obviously

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Zuul the Cat posted:

Lol, this is a pretty grimdark take. I always viewed them as cavemen - barbarians from really primitive worlds, more neanderthal than handicapped.

The Bonehead has cybernetic brain surgery to be almost as smart as a normal person!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

JBP posted:

Why is combat so deadly now? I can't work out how it's going to be more decisive from the stuff I've read.

Granting initiative to the charger, and having set "to hit" values along with a straight up chance to lose models if you fail your morale seems more deadly than the current 50/50 chance of landing a hit, we are either space Marines or fearless so the result of combat is meaningless.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goose willis posted:

I don't see how you find this weird when the US Marine Corps is a thing that has existed for centuries. The only thing missing is the Nazi insignia.

Oh, wait, what's that?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BULBASAUR posted:

The absolute worst part about 8th edition? They're retconning how space marines reproduce by abducting prepubescent boys and pumping them full of geene seed. Which is the only way they can reproduce. Obviously

How so. None of that has been mentioned yet.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Hustlin Floh posted:

I don't see how you find this weird when the US Marine Corps is a thing that has existed for centuries. The only thing missing is the Nazi insignia.

Oh, wait, what's that?

hey those marines have split into combat squads

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Crossposting

chutche2 posted:

I got that microset and microsol. Working on getting transfers on, the greave ones are a little tricky because of the shape of the mk3 legs. I might try knee markings for the next squad.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Vat grown bigmarines.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 4, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MonsterEnvy posted:

He probably heard snippets about the vat grown bigly marines and assumed it was a retcon on all marines.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chutche2 posted:

Vat grown bigmarines.

Yeah that's probably just them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Still amused that bigmarines are a thing.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

This isn't even funny shitposting. This is just poo poo.

unfortunately i dont post for the amusement of random internet dipshits :ohdear:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just post edgy replies to burns from a couple of pages back.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's only a half shitpost. I don't think it's a stretch to assume they're going to shift attention to bigly marines over time

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Texmo posted:

hey those marines have split into combat squads

I think they're close enough to maintain unit coherence, so you're still going to get overwatch from all of them.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

unfortunately i dont post for the amusement of random internet dipshits :ohdear:

quoting for extreme anger

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
yall got a real low bar for edgy and angry posts :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This is a TG thread. We are all very old.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
my intro to mini games was battle masters as a youngin, and there was a gw pamphlet included. does that make me an old?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

yall got a real low bar for edgy and angry posts :shrug:

It's not edgy at all but you're obviously constantly madposting about little plastic men.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

tallkidwithglasses posted:

It's not edgy at all but you're obviously constantly madposting about little plastic men.

why do you think im mad?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's my secret.

I'm always madposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Blessed is the mind 2 small 2 get rekt kid.

• Locked thread