Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I hope they bring in that space colony they've name dropped a few times this season.

If Season 2 was vampires and zombies, and Season 4 is a biblical apocalypse, then I want Season 5 to be space aliens. You know, allegorically.

Technically, they already had allegorical space aliens back in Season 1. There were just, you know, the protagonists.

But yes, I would not be surprised at all if Raven encounters the lost space colony finally returning to Earth orbit when she goes into space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The 13 station was the one we saw destroyed by a missile strike in a Becca flashback.

I'm hoping they'll go on the road and find other remnants of civilization around the world or at least the greater continental US. You know, like they could have done this season when trying to save the world.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

The 13 station was the one we saw destroyed by a missile strike in a Becca flashback.

There was an asteroid mining penal colony they've mentioned several times this season, which is what I'm talking about. Not the 13th Station.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

There was an asteroid mining penal colony they've mentioned several times this season, which is what I'm talking about. Not the 13th Station.

Oh, great. Space Australia is coming back.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Oh in that case game on!

It could be a very interesting role reversal if next season the Arkers were more or less assimilated into the Grounder tribes and suddenly they had to deal with being invaded by a bunch of technologically sophisticated jerks from space!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The plot choices to keep the main characters alive and the story conflict going are getting really frustrating lately. This show needs an end.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I have no idea how I missed this.

That was a good episode though. Harper's sudden change in mood is the only thing that doesn't really make sense.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

The plot choices to keep the main characters alive and the story conflict going are getting really frustrating lately. This show needs an end.

To think that this show was once lauded for not doing this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right, finally starting season three. Cautiously optimistic in spite of my apprehension. Let's see how it goes.

I will say that between this show and that one episode of Continuum where Rachel Nichols takes him to some cabin in the middle of nowhere so these guys can rough him up, Richard Harmon has a real talent for getting beaten up. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I must say that only a couple of episodes in, I think Murphy (and possibly Jasper) has been set up to have the most interesting story arc. I thought Bellamy had a pretty good story arc in the first couple of seasons, but now he seems to have reached the end of it (i.e. the "whatever the hell we want" guy > leader who inspires people > accepted back into the Ark as Kane's confidant) there's not really anywhere left for him to go.

Out of idle curiosity, I wonder if the series will end with Clarke and Bellamy hooking up, because the one thing I know from the books (which I haven't read myself, but my younger sister is a fan) is that Clarke is Bellamy's girlfriend and the series ends with him asking her to marry him. The TV show being so radically different, if they try going that direction three or four years in (is season five the last season?) it'll probably end up feeling a bit forced.

Edit: Isaiah Washington's soul patch is mad distracting every time I see it. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 1, 2017

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Mars colony!

Or hidden moon Nazis

I'm all for Hidden Moon Nazis. Like I left this thread for something else and came back because of how much I want it.

Truthfully, I'm kind of OK with Harper's heelturn to the Jasper's FunTime Death by Irradiation Party, because that was some really rough poo poo she had to deal with when it came to her friends getting stuck in the black rain.

Poor Monty though, getting dicked over again. This time, I supposed, of his own choice, but jeeze.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I didnt watch the last few episodes but if they find a way to hide from the black rain, i hope they lock Jasper out. He wants to die so badly, I say let him.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Dalael posted:

I didnt watch the last few episodes but if they find a way to hide from the black rain, i hope they lock Jasper out. He wants to die so badly, I say let him.

Well boy, howdy do I have news for you.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I must say that only a couple of episodes in, I think Murphy (and possibly Jasper) has been set up to have the most interesting story arc. I thought Bellamy had a pretty good story arc in the first couple of seasons, but now he seems to have reached the end of it (i.e. the "whatever the hell we want" guy > leader who inspires people > accepted back into the Ark as Kane's confidant) there's not really anywhere left for him to go.

Out of idle curiosity, I wonder if the series will end with Clarke and Bellamy hooking up, because the one thing I know from the books (which I haven't read myself, but my younger sister is a fan) is that Clarke is Bellamy's girlfriend and the series ends with him asking her to marry him. The TV show being so radically different, if they try going that direction three or four years in (is season five the last season?) it'll probably end up feeling a bit forced.

Edit: Isaiah Washington's soul patch is mad distracting every time I see it. :v:

Weren't they a thing for a while? I thought I remembered something like that but I dunno. They probably won't make her end up with a guy though, I could see people literally rioting outside the station's office.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Boris Galerkin posted:

Weren't they a thing for a while? I thought I remembered something like that but I dunno. They probably won't make her end up with a guy though, I could see people literally rioting outside the station's office.

Unless that happens further on in season three and I haven't seen it yet, I don't think so. Clarke was with Finn. Remember Finn?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Oh hey, it's time for the annual Clarke Griffin Genocide.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

CeeJee posted:

Oh hey, it's time for the annual Clarke Griffin Genocide.

About that time, 'ey chaps?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I'd lock Kane out too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I hope that Clark doesn't budge and try to save the 3? people they left outside.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

jfood posted:

I'd lock Kane out too.

Why :saddowns:

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The show has pretty much nothing in common with the books besides the title, the basic premise, some character names, and some of the events of the first episode. Just to give one example: in the books there is no distinction between the Mountain Men and the Grounders. The Earthborn, as they're called in the books, lived in Mount Weather for 240 years (the books take place 300 years after the nuclear war, not 97) until the Earth became survivable again and then they left and started living on the surface again, and from then on only used Mount Weather for storage and stuff.

So trying to use the books' storyline to predict the future of the show's storyline is pointless. It wouldn't surprise me if Kass Morgan and the writers of the show haven't had any contact at all since the pilot was shot.

On the subject of Bellamy/Clarke in general, alleged screenshots of the shooting scripts of Season 1 episodes have been passed around on Twitter, and some of them include directions and cut lines that indicate the writers may have, at one point, considered setting up something between them. But even assuming that those screenshots are legitimate, I don't think they mean much now. We know from other sources that a lot of plans that the writers had in Season 1 ended up being abandoned, including potential romances (Chelsey Reist said in an interview that she shot a scene for 1x13 where Harper kissed Jasper, but it got cut from the final episode). And honestly, after 4 seasons without even any explicit on-screen hints of a romance, like you I would find it forced.

The Lexa issue and the almost certain desire on the part of the writers to avoid another shitstorm adds even more reasons for the writers to avoid going down that path, like Boris Galerkin says. So my money is on it not happening.

We don't know at this point whether Season 5 will be the last season, but the show's ratings aren't very good and there's evidence that it only got a Season 5 to give it enough episodes for syndication, so it seems likely. But then again, the streaming numbers, which aren't publicly available, might be good enough to make up for the lackluster ratings, so who knows.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 4, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I love how the Grounders are all indignant that Skycru is doing exactly what they were supposed to be allowed to do (live in the Bunker alone) before Octavia, who is not a leader or in any way designated to make decisions, decided to allow everyone in.

1. Skycru: "Most people can live in the Bunker, there's room for everyone pretty much.
2..Grounders: "NO WE WILL HAVE A WAR AND ONLY 1 GROUP OUT OF 12 CAN GO IN!!
3. Grounders: "You won, you can live in the Bunker alone."
4. Octavia: "No, EVERYONE CAN!"
5. Grounders: "Suddenly we're cool with everyone sharing, even though before we were willing to go to all out war to not do so."
6. Skycru: "We're going to live in the Bunker alone."
7. Grounders: "RIOT!"

While it's pretty LOL that Jaha took charge again, to be fair literally NOBODY would know about the Bunker or have tried to get in without him and his monomanical Moses obsession to find the Promised Land. I think he was right to call that Kane would probably do some wishywashy thing to let everyone in, and even if he didn't he probably figured Octavia would lose or if she won she'd be bound to do exactly what she ended up doing.

I imagine if Octavia hadn't said everyone could go in, Kane would have still ended up saying more people could go in, he'd start trying to come up with some way to pick who, the Grounders would start infighting again, and they'd be back to square one. I am normally Team Kane, but I think Jaha and Clarke were probably right on this one. Too bad there's a zero chance of it sticking because Bellamy and probably Abby will end up opening the door and deposing Jaha and Clarke.

Kane and Octavia are morally right, but I think the Grounders pissed away their chance by wanting WAR and BLOOD instead of agreeing to be civilized because they think Skycru talks like fags and their shits all retarded, and anyone who is civilized is just a Mountain Man rear end in a top hat to them and they'd rather die as Mad Max cosplayers than live as effete civilized people because that is their culture. :rolleyes:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, Raven's gonna go into space and somehow fix everything, right? At that point, man will Clarke have some egg on her face when the bunker doesn't mean poo poo anymore.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

INH5 posted:

The show has pretty much nothing in common with the books besides the title, the basic premise, some character names, and some of the events of the first episode. Just to give one example: in the books there is no distinction between the Mountain Men and the Grounders. The Earthborn, as they're called in the books, lived in Mount Weather for 240 years (the books take place 300 years after the nuclear war, not 97) until the Earth became survivable again and then they left and started living on the surface again, and from then on only used Mount Weather for storage and stuff.

Sure, and I believe Wells actually lasts the entire series in the books, rather than dying in episode three or so. I reckon there was more they could have done with Wells. I think there was a lot more they could have done with that villainous rival chancellor from season one as well; I was surprised at how abrupt that seemed and kept expecting her to show up (maybe on a life-glug or something) in season two.

Re: season three watch-through: it's okay so far. I still really, really really dislike assimilation plots and that's basically what the A.L.I.E. storyline is. Still, I am enjoying the overall season well enough. I'm about three quarters of the way through it.

Aside from that, I think the main reason it suffers is how far apart all the characters are; Clarke is in Polis with Lexa for the first third or so of the season while Bellamy, Octavia, Kane and the others are all off doing their own thing with Pike as the bad guy, then you have Jaha with his brain thing coming in and taking over for both plots.

It all looks like it will fit together but I can imagine it would have been very frustrating to watch if you were following the series week-to-week on its original broadcast.

So, a bit like Buffy season six, which I went into having been told it was awful and came away from thinking it was fine. Again, probably because I was watching it on DVD rather than stretched out over however many weeks.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 4, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

I mean, Raven's gonna go into space and somehow fix everything, right? At that point, man will Clarke have some egg on her face when the bunker doesn't mean poo poo anymore.

She did find herself a nice tomb though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a rough idea of what the plot of season four is and what I reckon will happen is that they'll be able to leave the bunker except for Henry Ian Cusick, who'll have to stay behind and enter a sequence of numbers into a computer console every day to prevent the radiation from reaching a lethal level.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You know, the one thing that doesn't make sense to me, is why didn't Skycru just push the fact that the Grounders NEED them to live in the bunker.

Skycru is the one group who knows about tech and would be able to handle operating the various systems of the bunker. Skycru has actually had the experience of living in close, tightly managed quarters while on the Ark in space.

I just don't see any single Grounder clan having the ability to survive more than just a few months in the bunker before they either screw up some vital system or just go stir crazy and try to get out/kill each other.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

TMMadman posted:

I just don't see any single Grounder clan having the ability to survive more than just a few months in the bunker before they either screw up some vital system or just go stir crazy and try to get out/kill each other.

Skycru would have to designate one of the living chambers as "Dead Grounder Storage" within at least a week.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Haha that guy getting an arrow through the neck. Totally deserved it for blowing up the ark. :colbert:

Skycru did nothing wrong.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

I still feel like there's a deus ex machina coming, if only because this season is very clearly setting up all of Clarke's plans to comically faceplant into the dirt. What wouldn't surprise me is if we get a situation where Raven saves the day somehow, the bunker remains unaware, and we get a five year timeskip to where Clarke, Jaha, and those in the bunker emerge as the final major antagonists for season 5.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That's one thing I loved about Octavia being the focus/hero of the last episode. For the past few seasons it's been The Clarke Show where she Awesomely Solves Everything and is Totally Badass and Has The Answers.

The past half season she's had one setback after another, fell out with King Roan, and has now been totally sidelined the last couple of episodes. Now somebody else is pivotal, which is cool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was so sure we were going to go full Hunger Games with Illian but then he gets an arrow to the neck and just kind of dies.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

muscles like this! posted:

I was so sure we were going to go full Hundred Games with Illian but then he gets an arrow to the neck and just kind of dies.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Vermain posted:

I still feel like there's a deus ex machina coming, if only because this season is very clearly setting up all of Clarke's plans to comically faceplant into the dirt. What wouldn't surprise me is if we get a situation where Raven saves the day somehow, the bunker remains unaware, and we get a five year timeskip to where Clarke, Jaha, and those in the bunker emerge as the final major antagonists for season 5.

Someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, the constant use of the term black rain opens the door for Raven to create an aerosol version of the night blood and use the ship to distribute it into the atmosphere. Something like this seems more and more likely, especially since it looks as if Raven is going up into space no matter what now.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Astroman posted:

That's one thing I loved about Octavia being the focus/hero of the last episode. For the past few seasons it's been The Clarke Show where she Awesomely Solves Everything and is Totally Badass and Has The Answers.

I think it's of a piece with who Clarke's been all along. She's always been self-assured that she knows the best way forward, and that self-assurance has straddled the line between confidence and arrogance. Way back in the first season, she was a prissy killjoy - she wasn't wrong that the 100 needed to get their poo poo together, but she was still insufferable. Now she seems to be finally, truly succumbing to arrogance. And it looks like the show is setting her up for a fall, especially with all those call backs to Mt. Weather.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
For some reason I was thinking the conclave would not go through all the way to the end. I thought for sure a few people would survive for some reason.

Gonna miss King Roan. He was cool. Long live tge king!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Poor Zach McGowan. He just keeps dying. Although this was cool nothing could top the way he went out on Black Sails.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

At least we have the comfort of his Shamelesd character still being somewhere, alive and naked.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

esperterra posted:

At least we have the comfort of his Shamelesd character still being somewhere, alive and naked.

Any excuse for more naked Zach McGowan is a valid excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just finished season three. It was fine in the end. Not as good as season one or two but hardly bad telly.

Now all I need do is wait until summer for the season four DVD to come out.

• Locked thread