Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally finished The Apu Trilogy with watching Apur Sansar tonight. Absolutely brilliant films. There's really nothing to compare them to.

Also watched Kurosawa's Dreams last night. A bit of a departure from the earlier films of his I'm more accustomed to (I've been meaning to see Kagemusha and Ran), but quite lovely overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kagemusha and Dreams have such drastically different endings. The final battle, well, slaughter actually, in Kagemusha feels just as apocalyptic as the nuclear winter in Dreams. Yet Dreams ends on an optimistic high. That was a very pretty funeral scene.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Kagemusha and Dreams have such drastically different endings. The final battle, well, slaughter actually, in Kagemusha feels just as apocalyptic as the nuclear winter in Dreams. Yet Dreams ends on an optimistic high. That was a very pretty funeral scene.

I'd also expect Kagemusha to be more of a standard narrative since Dreams is made up of eight segments.

I can't recommend the Blu-Ray for Dreams enough. It's easily one of the best transfers Criterion has put out so far. Looks like a brand new film. Also, the 2.0 surround track is unusually active. Pretty much the entire film has a richly textured ambience in the surrounds.

I'm hoping to start on Dekalog this week.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Can't wait for the summer sale for stalker and dreams.

What are some other high quality releases that'll be out for the summer sale that you would recommend as a general 'must have'? I haven't gotten anything since the November sale. Not sure what's coming up too.

Maybe tampopo? I'm trying to pick out 5 releases to grab during July.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

What are some other high quality releases that'll be out for the summer sale that you would recommend as a general 'must have'? I haven't gotten anything since the November sale. Not sure what's coming up too.

My picks for best ones to get since the last B&N sale...

Blow-Up
Being There
Mildred Pierce
The Lodger
Ugetsu
Ghost World
Othello (if it's not held back further than July)

I'll likely be blind-buying Stalker, They Live By Night, and Straw Dogs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is Criterion planning some kind of Roger Corman set? Death Race, The Intruder, and one other movie are up on Filmstruck.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Better get me some Faster Pussycat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is Criterion planning some kind of Roger Corman set? Death Race, The Intruder, and one other movie are up on Filmstruck.

Are they under the criterion section or the other?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

bobkatt013 posted:

Are they under the criterion section or the other?

Just double checked. Death Race 2000, The Intruder, Masque of the Red Death, and Rock 'n Roll High School are all on the Criterion channel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just double checked. Death Race 2000, The Intruder, Masque of the Red Death, and Rock 'n Roll High School are all on the Criterion channel.

Holy poo poo. Wonder how long it will be before the shat is part of the collection?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Did you try playing any of them? If a Criterion or Janus thing runs in front of them, that's a good sign that a physical release is coming.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

Did you try playing any of them? If a Criterion or Janus thing runs in front of them, that's a good sign that a physical release is coming.

I just checked they all have criterion covers, but when you play them some say the criterion channel

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 1, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, Death Race, Intruder, and R&RHS all have Criterion intros.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
RARHS has been rumored for a while.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Well, there goes my paycheck

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Egbert Souse posted:

My picks for best ones to get since the last B&N sale...

Blow-Up
Being There
Mildred Pierce
The Lodger
Ugetsu
Ghost World
Othello (if it's not held back further than July)

I'll likely be blind-buying Stalker, They Live By Night, and Straw Dogs.

Much thanks. Will be doing some research on these titles.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Intruder has never had a decent release. Corman is underrated since he made a lot of great films in the 60s.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 1, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

The Intruder has never had a decent release. Corman is underrated since he made a lot of great films in the 60s.

He is the unsung hero of American cinema. It would be a lot different if not for him.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

his girl friday, they live by night, the lodger, l'argent, world cinema project box

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

He is the unsung hero of American cinema. It would be a lot different if not for him.

Can I hear more about this?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Corman#.22The_Corman_Film_School.22

There's also a great documentary called Corman's World if you want to learn some more about him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

To put it succinctly, Corman gave young unproven filmmakers a launching pad for their careers by hiring them for his low budget (usually)genre films. There hasn't really been an equivalent production company before or since that I can think of, someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sorry if this has been discussed recently but have they teased a Until the End of the World release recently? When I google it all I can find is Wenders saying it will be released at some point from 2-3 years ago.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

To put it succinctly, Corman gave young unproven filmmakers a launching pad for their careers by hiring them for his low budget (usually)genre films. There hasn't really been an equivalent production company before or since that I can think of, someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Full Moon and Troma for sure, but they're both shells of what they used to be nowadays.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Looks like Filmstruck will be on Roku in the near future. I just got an e-mail about beta testing their app. Watch your mailbox if you ever gave them your info, they're offering 2 free months to test the app.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
gently caress the Roku, give me my PS4 app. Why are they not catering to my extremely specific needs?

Seriously though on January 1st I didn't think I could live without access to Criterion streaming, now 5 months have gone by and they've forced me to learn that yes I can live without it. Shoulda had that app ready to go on day one man.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I might have subbed to filmstruck but they don't have an app on my TV and Hulu does so now I just watch fewer good movies. :smith:

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Vesi posted:

Holy poo poo that's beautiful, hopefully they do Solaris one day too

bam

https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/862762068759502848

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I wonder if they'll reissue the Blu. The only one they've done that for is Playtime for the Tati box set.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

August Criterions:

La Poison
The Breaking Point
Meantime
Sid & Nancy (Blu/DVD upgrade)
Hopscotch (Blu/DVD upgrade)

Also, Othello was moved to Sept. 26

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 16, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Man, I'm not familiar with any of those except Sid and Nancy (which I love and will likely buy).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Man, I'm not familiar with any of those except Sid and Nancy (which I love and will likely buy).

La Poison - directed by Sacha Guitry, starring Michel Simon
The Breaking Point - directed by Michael Curtiz, starring John Garfield
Meantime - directed by Mike Leigh
Hopscotch - directed by Ronald Neame, starring Walter Matthau

Hopscotch is kind of a random upgrade, but it's probably to cash in on the intelligence stuff in the news

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Looking forward to Meantime, vaguely hoping we'll get his audio drama Too Much of a Good Thing as an extra, which was on the Naked laserdisc but would go nicely here.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Doesn't look like any new extras on Sid and Nancy. Glad to see it back in print though!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is the B&N sale gonna be in June or July?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is the B&N sale gonna be in June or July?

It's usually July and November.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
According to multiple people on /r/criterion it starts July 11th.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I went to a screening of the new Stalker restoration yesterday and itt's absolutely gorgeous. It's been over a decade since I originally saw it on dvd so I can't say how much of an upgrade it is, but I'm very excited to pick up the new blu ray now.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

FancyMike posted:

I went to a screening of the new Stalker restoration yesterday and itt's absolutely gorgeous. It's been over a decade since I originally saw it on dvd so I can't say how much of an upgrade it is, but I'm very excited to pick up the new blu ray now.

I didn't even know it was showing in philly and it already passed. Probably not coming anywhere in Jersey either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

New releases should be announced tomorrow.

Here's the titles the CriterionForum.org guys are throwing around the most in their "guessing" thread:
Sixteen Candles
The Lure
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
Desert Hearts
Dragon Inn
Godard's King Lear

Anyone else already saving up for the B&N sale?