Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

This is all tossing around bullshit and about as constructive as our rogue trader to 2nd belly aching sessions except now it's online and before it was at Robins house GODDAMN GENE DID YOU DRINK THE LAST PEACH SNAPPLE YOU KNOW THATS MY FAVORITE during high school in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Xarbala posted:

That's my secret.

I'm always madposting.

LingcodKilla posted:

This is all tossing around bullshit and about as constructive as our rogue trader to 2nd belly aching sessions except now it's online and before it was at Robins house GODDAMN GENE DID YOU DRINK THE LAST PEACH SNAPPLE YOU KNOW THATS MY FAVORITE during high school in the 90s.

panascope posted:

quoting for extreme anger

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
id like to enjoy new40k but i have some concerns. i also think gw products are too expensive for what they are. ergo im frothing at the mouth as i pound my views out on my keyboard because there are no rational actors on the internet besides you!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

id like to enjoy new40k but i have some concerns. i also think gw products are too expensive for what they are. ergo im frothing at the mouth as i pound my views out on my keyboard because there are no rational actors on the internet besides you!

I only buy forgeworld products these days so I can't comment on the cost of GW stuff.

I think new40k will be ok because it can't possibly be shitter than 7th.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

New 40k has almost convinced me to buy some second hand Eldar that's unpainted for 40% MSRP. That's a big deal after I used to play Orks. I'm glad I didn't stick with it, Orks have been hosed pretty hard since I got out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The last time I played Eldar was when I was 14 (circa Dark Millennium) or whatever and they were completely loving OP. My group of nerd friends tried to ban Eldran Ulthran but I was like gently caress u and get good then spent another game casting eldritch storm or whatever it was and condemning all enemies to the shitcan of the warp.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JBP posted:

I think new40k will be ok because it can't possibly be shitter than 7th.

Quoting for when the full, 12 page pamphlet of rules comes out.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm just sad that of all the factions to be routinely OP, it's the most boring one. Why can't Orks or Tyranids be the total cheesemongers showing up on every table instead?

gently caress, I'll even take one of the good chapters of Marines, like Salamanders.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Because the Orks are never allowed to be good, only to get progressively more lame with each iteration.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Bee posted:

I'm just sad that of all the factions to be routinely OP, it's the most boring one. Why can't Orks or Tyranids be the total cheesemongers showing up on every table instead?

gently caress, I'll even take one of the good chapters of Marines, like Salamanders.

Orks were OP and meta-defining for a short while during 5e. It was a great time to play the game in general because you saw a lot more than just anti-marine weapons all over the drat place, despite the fact that they introduced the mechanical cancer that is TLoS.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

S.J. posted:

Orks were OP and meta-defining for a short while during 5e. It was a great time to play the game in general because you saw a lot more than just anti-marine weapons all over the drat place, despite the fact that they introduced the mechanical cancer that is TLoS.

I remember GW were trying to sell loving laser pointers.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I would definitely recommend holding off on new purchases until a while after the edition releases so that it is possible to gauge the quality of the new ruleset.

The Bee posted:

IIRC, Orks had a very short and limited time in the spotlight around the very beginning of 5th edition due to the relative resilience of pimped out Nob Bikers (the rest of the army was trash in a typical fashion, of course). This changed swiftly when the new army books dropped and shifted the power balance elsewhere.

The 2nd edition Tyranids were arguably not as bonkers as the Eldar or Space Wolves could be (looking at you, Cyclone Missile Launcher/Assault Cannon Terminators), but that was their prime time for sure with terrific rules for almost the entire range of models. One dude I met described the feeling of seeing the enemy player deploying a Barbed Strangler Hive Tyrant as "pure fear".

edit:

this but unironically

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 4, 2017

S.J.
May 19, 2008

JBP posted:

I remember GW were trying to sell loving laser pointers.

For less than that loving AoS measuring widget I think? I don't remember. But I do remember everyone laughing at that thing pretty loving hard.

Soulfucker posted:

IIRC, Orks had a very short and limited time in the spotlight around the very beginning of 5th edition due to the relative resilience of pimped out Nob Bikers (the rest of the army was trash in a typical fashion, of course). This changed swiftly when the new army books dropped and shifted the power balance elsewhere.

There were actually a ton of really solid options in that book, Nob bikers weren't even getting used right away because regular boyz and lootas were pretty loving good. But it didn't take long to figure out and once the wound-shenanigan stuff didn't get FAQ'd out there wasn't much reason to play anything other than a core of Nob bikers. Orks were pretty competitive throughout most of 5e's life though.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 4, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Bee posted:

Biker ork lists used to be the cheesiest poo poo on the planet

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

unfortunately i dont post for the amusement of random internet dipshits :ohdear:

You are embarrassing. You should probably stop.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Just want to say to all the haters out there I beat a Ynnari (better eldar) army with my Nids the other day. I ran 90 guants and 2 fexs. This game is like 50% luck and like 25% knowing what stuff does, so long as you dont play with "that guy" any army is playable in 40k and capable of winning. My friend is currently on a 5 game winning streak with his orks. Sure Orks and Nids should get buffed some, but honestly who gets in to orks or nids to be power gamers? And if you did your likely not the tactical genius you thought you were and aren't going to win any tournaments anyway. If it were up to me I would make Tau the strongest army so I can continue to justifiably poo poo on my friends who play that awful faction.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

As long as nobody cares or tries even a little, anything is possible

People want orks and nids and etc to get buffed so they don't have to power game just to have a chance

Factions ought to be balanced for the sake of casual players as well as try hards. Having a game be balanced is a huge deal for retaining players and getting new ones on board

S.J. fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 4, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Bee posted:

Weren't tyranid OP very briefly in one of their earlier editions?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

S.J. posted:

People want orks and nids and etc to get buffed so they don't have to power game just to have a chance

Factions ought to be balanced for the sake of casual players as well as try hards. Having a game be balanced is a huge deal for retaining players and getting new ones on board

poo poo, I don't even so much want to not power game, as I'm not going to anyway. I want Orks to be fun and not an exercise in playing the faceless mooks in an action movie for the Spess Mehrines to show off against.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

S.J. posted:

Hopefully the new model of disseminating the rules means that balance adjustments can be made over a period of months as opposed to years.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Am I allowed to like things yet?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

mango sentinel posted:

Weren't tyranid OP very briefly in one of their earlier editions?

GW in their infinite wisdom released errata or whatever and allowed nids to field nothing but flying creatures. I think that was the only time nids turned into the gently caress this army.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

S.J. posted:

Honestly, agreed. I always feel like imbalance impacts newer/worse players more anyway, because they may not have the ability to work around cheese that way better players do. If you have an in-depth knowledge of the game you know "Eldar are busted and we should probably try to build more fair lists." If you don't, you think "this game sucks and I hate it."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
getting really tired of JBP saying that the bigly marines are real and not just a conversion

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Bee posted:

Honestly, agreed. I always feel like imbalance impacts newer/worse players more anyway, because they may not have the ability to work around cheese that way better players do. If you have an in-depth knowledge of the game you know "Eldar are busted and we should probably try to build more fair lists." If you don't, you think "this game sucks and I hate it."

It's weird to think about given my perspectives thinking of relative buy in for different games.

You start a fighting game and pick a character you think looks cool or plays fun, but turns out to be low tier garbage. You've invested nothing but time.

You draft some cards at FNM you find interesting and build around them but your deck is dogshit in the current meta, you're out a little bit of cash because cards nobody is playing are cheap.

You pick Tyranids in 40k because you like cool bugmen and unless you're consuming lots of info about the game, you could be hundreds of dollars and hours deep into an army that you think is cool but loses constantly and is not rewarding to play. Thankfully hams seem to be a moderately liquid asset if you want out.

Hopefully New GW™ realizes that balance isn't just good for the health of the competitive scene but also for making sure people feel positive and confident about their model purchases.

Milky Moor posted:

getting really tired of JBP saying that the bigly marines are real and not just a conversion

Bigly Marines are real and they are my friends.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

mango sentinel posted:

It's weird to think about given my perspectives thinking of relative buy in for different games.

You start a fighting game and pick a character you think looks cool or plays fun, but turns out to be low tier garbage. You've invested nothing but time.

You draft some cards at FNM you find interesting and build around them but your deck is dogshit in the current meta, you're out a little bit of cash because cards nobody is playing are cheap.

You pick Tyranids in 40k because you like cool bugmen and unless you're consuming lots of info about the game, you could be hundreds of dollars and hours deep into an army that you think is cool but loses constantly and is not rewarding to play. Thankfully hams seem to be a moderately liquid asset if you want out.

Hopefully New GW™ realizes that balance isn't just good for the health of the competitive scene but also for making sure people feel positive and confident about their model purchases.

It doesn't help that huge balance swings can lead to an army that started out incredible turning into garbage. I know more competitive minis games like Warmahordes occasionally have the problem, whether between editions or in mid-edition patches, but even those shifts feel way less swingy than 40k's new codex problem. I'm hoping the codex system being dropped in favor of free, updatable rules will at least standardize things a bit and make things both easier to balance and way less drastic.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

S.J. posted:

I like winning a lot, I try to win every game I play. I just build list that I know are going to be balanced with the person I am playing against because I prefer to win a more even game. People in this thread regularly claim Orks and Nids are unplayable trash, but that's only if you take this game to the extreme of only running the strongest units in the strongest codex. I am not really sure why 40k needs to designed for competitive play, not all games do. While the game needs tweaking the reality is it is not even half as bad as this thread likes to pretend it is for casual players.

There are several bigger factors keeping new people out of this game than getting stomped when they first start playing (literally never seen this happen). The biggest is likely the misogynist nature of the game and it's community which turns off more or less half of the population. The second is likely the insane amount of rules you need to learn to play. Another bigger reason is that to thoroughly enjoy 40k you need to like the hobby and fluff side of it, which just doesn't appeal to many people. I am sure I could come up with half a dozen reasons why new people do stick with it that are bigger reasons that balance.

JesusIsTehCool fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 4, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
We've yet to see it with AoS but a new General's Handbook each year and the ability to easily errata glaring problems on the fly should help. I don't want them to jump in to weekly micromanage rules tweaks but I would like to see maybe quarterly reviews. The old format was like trying to steer the Titanic if they wanted to fix anything.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I like winning a lot, I try to win every game I play. I just build list that I know are going to be balanced with the person I am playing against because I prefer to win a more even game. People in this thread regularly claim Orks and Nids are unplayable trash, but that's only if you take this game to the extreme of only running the strongest units in the strongest codex. I am not really sure why 40k needs to designed for competitive play, not all games do. While the game needs tweaking the reality is it is not even half as bad as this thread likes to pretend it is for casual players.

I respectfully disagree with your point here. As S.J. points out, a competitive ruleset would be good because not only would it balance things out at the tournament scene, it would also help people who play casually like you and me by virtue of making it easier to balance army lists. I play Nids as well in my local meta and I also win games with them, however this isn't indicative of how good the army is as a whole (at least they aren't Orks).

JesusIsTehCool posted:

The biggest is likely the misogynist nature of the game and it's community which turns off more or less half of the population.

Though this I agree with 100%, holy poo poo why is it so hard for nerds to have some self-perception?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

unfortunately i dont post for the amusement of random internet dipshits :ohdear:

citation needed

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You are embarrassing. You should probably stop.

That's not very lovely

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

it's pronounced mon-kay

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
shaddap jit

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

Thread has lost its way.

They're just a conversion, and if GW do release a new marine kit its just a new tactical squad. I can't stand this.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Weird thing, I was reading the background in the first Horus Heresy black book from forgeworld this week, vat grown marines was something the Imperium tried in the early days, but could never quite get it to work.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I got turned off from 40K because I was tired of keeping up with the meta, and Orks had devolved from an army that was competitive but fun into an utter mob of trash. I hated how lazy GW had become and let lists like nob bikers or that flying circus or whatever the gently caress Grey Knights did were the most powerful (and least fun to play against). Then 6th edition came out and assault became a joke, the Ork list came out with everything fun being replaced with poo poo randomness, and I quit playing entirely.

40K, especially when played the way it was intended with well painted armies, requires a significant investment in time and obviously money. That style of game suffers when a player discovers that his army loses half the time before it even gets on the board. It suffers even more when the rules change dramatically and an army that was at least fun becomes a miserable joke.

Hopefully GW is listening, and the new edition is balanced enough that everyone can have fun regardless of what they bring and regardless of who they play. At the very least every list that's aligned with the core theme of each faction should be competitive. If so then great, I'm sure my wife will understand. If not then so be it, I have other games to play.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hopefully GW is listening, and the new edition is balanced enough that everyone can have fun regardless of what they bring and regardless of who they play..

*pinches ur widdle cheeks*

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
http://natfka.blogspot.ca/2017/05/new-insights-and-rules-for-8th-edition.html

Whelp:

quote:

via Sources on Faeit 212
- Assault 2d6”, multiple units
- Split fire: any unit can target as many targets as they want
- Normally the unit don’t have to target the nearest unit, but there are lots of abilities that have this restriction
- Invulnerable saves simply ignore armour penetration up to the given value. They are not that common, wave serpents and Canoptek wraiths have one
- Most power fields, etc. are separate saves that are taken in addition to other saves just like FnP of today, they may or may not ignore mortal wounds on a case by case basis
- Dodges, camos, etc are now to hit modifiers
- Characters cannot join units
- Characters can only be targeted if nearest target or within 12”
- Larger models are seldom characters, Gulliman is not for example
- Deepstriking units can be placed anywhere. Every unit with deep strike has a value. Have to beat it to land on target, otherwise opposing player can move unit the rolled distance
- There are no mishaps anymore
- Overwatch shooting against deep striking units within 9” at -1 BS
- Summoning is not a psychic ability anymore, normal deep striking with psyker as homing beacon instead
- There are spells that replenish or add wounds to demon squads
- Most vehicles have a single attack with high S, but no AP, some have considerably more like the battle waggon
- Vehicles and units fighting against vehicles usually can fall back without penalty, they cannot move in the charge phase when they have moved or shot in the same turn. Most walkers don’t have this rule
- Terrain enhances armour in assault phase for the defender, or both in consecutive turns, is negated by grenades
- Assaulting units get +1 attack
- Vertical movement does not count against the allowance but a model cannot go higher than the movement value in a given phase. Lots of exceptions for jumping, flying, etc. of course
Ranges are measured on the ground level from base or model to base or model, whichever is nearer
- Units are deployed within 3” of a transport, cannot move, but can charge in the charge phase
- No more firing from a transport, though some vehicles, especially open topped ones have extra firing points weapons if they transport enough (and sometimes eligible) models. But they use their own BS and the kind of weapon is fixed. For example Raiders have 5 fire point splinter rifles, but only if they transport kabalite warriors
- No challenges
- Hidden power fists viable again, wound allocation by owning player, any model in squad, but wounded ones first
- There are some precision weapons that let the firing player choose the wound allocation (always or on a 6)
- Units have always the same T and Save now. There are some models that have T- Sv - and adapt like drones and grots, most of the other combined units have matchings stats now, Black templar neophytes have a 3+ now, for whatever reason
- Command points allow to reroll saves, hits, wounding or charge distance, reroll any single dice throw, negate all terrain in 12” of one of your models, alter the attack sequence, boost psychic block rolls, allow additional reserves and allow units to get another charge phase after wiping out an enemy
- There are some models like Ghazghkull that have their own abilities that are triggered by command points
- perils of the war: snake eyes on the test, d6 on table, d3 mortal wounds and losing a spell are the worst cases
- Player can spend command points to choose who goes first instead of rolling, whoever spends more
- Matched games have a fixed number of turns, 5 or 6 rounds depending on mission, 18” is starting range and turn 1 charges are completely legal
- Reserves are not random, except for rounding: second turn half the units are deployed, third turn half of the remaining, fourth turn rest
- Flyers have an individual to hit modifier, mostly -2 or -3, a 6 is always a hit as usual, depends on the flying mode for flyers that have more than one
- Flyers are affected by heavy weapon malus, but most flyer weapons are assault,
flyer weapons have often a shorter range and a different name, but are otherwise identical to their ground counterparts
- Terrain does not influence movement distance per se. Some citadel terrain pieces half the movement or do other things.
- There are no warzone rules in the core rules
- True line of sight is used to establish line of sight to a model, but otherwise models count in or out of cover depending if they are in a piece of terrain or if they are touching it and the firing - line goes through the terrain
- In matched play, models have a fixed base size specified in the General’s Handbook. In the two other game types, they can use any base they want

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Characters not in units p huge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

is Warhammer Community official?

Because they liked the reception to Marbo coming back in Shadow War enough that they went ahead and released rules for him to be used in 40k

hes back

• Locked thread