Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Oh man, I'm bad at these. Is the number I'm supposed to be seeing 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Slammy posted:

Tweedy (March, 1956, click for big)

I didn't think Mr. Tweedy was the type to judge things based on narrow-minded cultural assumptions, but here we are

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

CommaToes posted:

That's... I don't know, this comic just has a way of dialog that makes no sense. It seems that the author WANTS to tell a joke, or something resembling one. But has no idea of subtlely, art or nuance.

Wife: Here, standing husband, I will give you 10 dollars for no reason.
Daughter: I will take those ten dollars from you.

Everyone else has their hate comics in this thread. This is mine.

Yeah, "Tinkersons" really is a uniquely, maybe even instructively "bad" comic strip. (please keep posting it!)

On a sort-of related note, when I was browsing through GoComic's comics a few weeks ago to see what might be good I noticed that I quickly bypassed or rejected a lot of strips offhand for a few simple reasons:

The strip was almost painful to look at; I did not read.
The strip was named in part or full or, worst, in pun, after the creator of the strip.
A GoComics avatar icon showing a lumpy/pale/stressed/ aging person in an office, and all of the "woke millennial" navel gazing strips, even when I liked the art. (am totes a woke millennial, tho).
Strip setups where the joke is pretty much "plug and play". Character is irrelevant, you're just telling a joke and there's no extra humor payout in the artwork or story.
I am actually really biased against strips with animal characters. I didn't know that. Talking animals in a human world I'm fine with, but most or all animal character strips are just...I don't know.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

dismas posted:

I like the random acts of Nancy except how they're coloring it I think?

I think it's inspired by http://nancyishappy.tumblr.com but doesn't capture the charm.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mea Culpa posted:

Poor Richard's Almanac

May 5, 2011

I love this comic strip so much :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Spiderman vs. vampires is so much more confusing then I thought it would be.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Mar. 17, 1995)

Garfield Classic (Mar. 17, 1985)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze makes me not want to watch The Expanse.

Cool, adding "the expanse" to my "Never watch out of spite" pile right next to Firefly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That reminds me of when Working Daze went on about Dirk Gently and I was like "why are they suddenly all over a 2010 show with Stephen Mangan" before I found out there was a new version which was, unsurprisingly, bollocks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

My Lovely Horse posted:

That reminds me of when Working Daze went on about Dirk Gently and I was like "why are they suddenly all over a 2010 show with Stephen Mangan" before I found out there was a new version which was, unsurprisingly, bollocks.

I know, right?! It was looking interesting enough until the titular character came in, and then it nose-dived.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg

Dustin

Mandrake

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Cool, adding "the expanse" to my "Never watch out of spite" pile right next to Firefly.
I'll be honest; I keep meaning to watch The Expanse but just never get around to it. Which is a shame, because by all accounts it's actually really good.

I'm not going to avoid it because of Working Daze, because if I spite-ignored everything it "liked" I'd never watch or read anything remotely nerd-related.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I really like Ali's House, please continue posting it. Thank you and god bless

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool rear end parrots.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wouldn't that joke work better if they were gonna watch The Force Awakens?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

:shrug:

Pooch Café

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

Understanding Chaos

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Samovar posted:

Spiderman vs. vampires is so much more confusing then I thought it would be.
Business as usual, then.

Flash Gordon

2000 Spiderman

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Firefly was a good show, but not as good as people made it out to be.

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Wow. Mandrake's getting way surreal.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"For example, I enjoy breaking up marriages."

Rex Morgan MD

Didn't he just hire a nurse? I mean "just" in comic time, not literal time, which has probably been like 2 years.

Secret Agent X-9 is just rude to everyone today

Apartment 3-G

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

CommaToes posted:

That's... I don't know, this comic just has a way of dialog that makes no sense. It seems that the author WANTS to tell a joke, or something resembling one. But has no idea of subtlely, art or nuance.

Wife: Here, standing husband, I will give you 10 dollars for no reason.
Daughter: I will take those ten dollars from you.

Everyone else has their hate comics in this thread. This is mine.

Mea Culpa posted:

Yeah, "Tinkersons" really is a uniquely, maybe even instructively "bad" comic strip. (please keep posting it!)

On a sort-of related note, when I was browsing through GoComic's comics a few weeks ago to see what might be good I noticed that I quickly bypassed or rejected a lot of strips offhand for a few simple reasons:

The strip was almost painful to look at; I did not read.
The strip was named in part or full or, worst, in pun, after the creator of the strip.
A GoComics avatar icon showing a lumpy/pale/stressed/ aging person in an office, and all of the "woke millennial" navel gazing strips, even when I liked the art. (am totes a woke millennial, tho).
Strip setups where the joke is pretty much "plug and play". Character is irrelevant, you're just telling a joke and there's no extra humor payout in the artwork or story.
I am actually really biased against strips with animal characters. I didn't know that. Talking animals in a human world I'm fine with, but most or all animal character strips are just...I don't know.

Yeah. There are a lot of comics in this thread that I hate (some even generally well-regarded by other posters), but there are very few that I would actually categorize as a hate read. It's a very fine line between love-to-hate and just plain hate. I just skip Mike du Jour and Piranha Club. I am incapable of reading Sylvia; even when I make an effort, my eyes just slide right off it. I read or skip Chickweed or Working Daze or New Nancy as the mood strikes me. But I can't miss Luann. Not even once. I can't cheat myself of the full scope of my raaaaage.

Luann

Haaaaaate

The Amazing Spider-Man

I see they attempted to update Aunt May's hairdo in the older strips. I guess that didn't stick!

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Haaaaaate
How did this guy get a degree to teach art, again?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He turned up in his smoking jacket and bowtie and they decided he looked close enough to delude these idiots while costing 1/2 the price of a real professor.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I thought the dude's name was Jock.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

She's right tho, when putting names inside a heart the longer name should always be on top since there's more room and it's more visually appealing.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

How Luann and Jack/Jock are "doing it"

1. Jock hits on Luann, and also every other girl he sees
2. Luann turns him down
3. Jock keeps hitting on Luann, and also every other girl he sees continually forever
4. Luann keeps turning him down continually forever
5. Luann attempts to slut shame Tiff while simultaneously rubbing Tiff's nose in how sought-after Luann is by mankind by giving Jock a call
6. Tiff tells Jock Luann wants a date even though Luann does not want a date. Luann only accepts out of a fear of awkwardness
7. Jock and Luann go to the dog park. Jock also dates Tiff, because she is a girl and he saw her.

Truly a love for the ages

Looks like it's just a clumsy segue back to hack cartoonists attack people who think they know art or whatever the beef is with this belted blazer bowtie beclad baldy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Moomin Goes Wild West (click for previous)

Like any good movie, the comic ends in a chase. I must admit I respect the blood thirsty Indian's pipe and jewelry taste.

And thus ends the story, not with a bang but a splash. Next in line is Snorkmaiden Goes Rococo which is direct continuation to this story, when I bother scanning some pages.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

You know somebody has done this already.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Moomin definitely looks like he is wearing a sombrero that was described over the phone to a Finn.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

...and the pitch! posted:

Moomin definitely looks like he is wearing a sombrero that was described over the phone to a Finn.

I'm sure they had these things back in the 1950's

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Is that soda water being enriched with lemon juice? What's going on there?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

...and the pitch! posted:

Is that soda water being enriched with lemon juice? What's going on there?

Life gave them lemons.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wasnt too big on this storyline and the art is a bit off but goddamn

"gently caress, IT'S MERLIN!" *gutpunch*

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Nenonen posted:

Please don't dox my Kickstarter.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (July, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (September, 1916)

MYSTERY SURROUNDS DISTURBANCE

Last night there was a riot or something like it in the hall of the order of Walrus.

It is rumored that while trying to initiate a candidate named True several members of the team were injured.

Up to a late hour this afternoon every attempt to secure some lucid statement from various members was of no avail; the majority of them refusing to make any comment at all.

The hall this morning presented a scene of extreme chaos, and every window was broken!

Doings of the Duffs. (August, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (August, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (July, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (January, 1941)

Tweedy (March, 1956, click for big)

Archie (January, 1956, click for big)

Feiffer (1973, click for big)

Andy Capp (October, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (November, 1971, click for big)

Dick Tracy (August, 2001, click for big)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Baldo

Is it me, or is the art off-model in this one, like it was made by a guest artist?

B.C.

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Wizard of Id

Curtis

Baby Blues

Vargo fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 5, 2017

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Wow, that's the most anticlimactic end to a Moomin story I can remember seeing.

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (September, 1916)

MYSTERY SURROUNDS DISTURBANCE

Last night there was a riot or something like it in the hall of the order of Walrus.

It is rumored that while trying to initiate a candidate named True several members of the team were injured.

Up to a late hour this afternoon every attempt to secure some lucid statement from various members was of no avail; the majority of them refusing to make any comment at all.

The hall this morning presented a scene of extreme chaos, and every window was broken!
Bless you for transcribing that and sparing my bad eyes.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Pants continue to remain optional.

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Expanse and both Dirk Gently's are all good shows. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't get what "portion" means.

Working Daze collapses under its own stupid.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is the last thing you'll ever see.

• Locked thread