Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

wookieepelt posted:

I'm on AT&T in the US. I'm looking for a phone that is large and pretty decent for performance. I'd like waterproofing of some sort. Wireless charging would be nice because I have three Qi pads. Honestly, the Note 7 was almost perfect, but, well, you know.

Anything like that? I'm looking for $400 off contract, but I could always do AT&T next, so price isn't that much of a concern even though I know I pay more over time.

Uh, I guess Samsung Galaxy S8 or 8+? The S7 Edge may be found discounted since the 8 is out. Also you can buy the google Pixel XL right from google, and I believe google does offer payment plans which is essentially what Next is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

wookieepelt posted:

I'm on AT&T in the US. I'm looking for a phone that is large and pretty decent for performance. I'd like waterproofing of some sort. Wireless charging would be nice because I have three Qi pads. Honestly, the Note 7 was almost perfect, but, well, you know.

Anything like that? I'm looking for $400 off contract, but I could always do AT&T next, so price isn't that much of a concern even though I know I pay more over time.

The S8+ has every single thing you mentioned except for the price, but for $400 you won't find any phone that fits that bill.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

Reporting back to say that I love the pixel XL even though it's bigger than I wanted. It's a little awkward to take selfies and type one handed, but the screen is just so gorgeous and the boost in battery life is really helpful. I just wonder if it will hold up over the years as well as the iPhone 5 that I upgraded from.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Winter Rose posted:

Reporting back to say that I love the pixel XL even though it's bigger than I wanted. It's a little awkward to take selfies and type one handed, but the screen is just so gorgeous and the boost in battery life is really helpful. I just wonder if it will hold up over the years as well as the iPhone 5 that I upgraded from.

If it does I'll be amazed. Google has already announced the EOL dates for updates and support, Oct 2018 & Oct 2019 respectively. That said mine's doing really well for the first six months.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Winter Rose posted:

There's never been an android device that ages as well as iPhones. If you like to keep phones for a LONG time and keep them in good shape, you can't beat either buying a 1 year old used iPhone or a cheaper iPhone like an SE.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
My current plan with Verizon (10GB family plan - $260/mo for 4 lines) just lapsed in April and will go down to $140/mo.

I have an iPhone 6 64GB, my sister has a Samsung S6 64GB, both my parents have the Droid Turbo. We're all pretty content with our phones, so there's no pressing need to upgrade our device unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

Should I just sit on this plan until we want to upgrade our devices (probably not until Fall)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MrCodeDude posted:

My current plan with Verizon (10GB family plan - $260/mo for 4 lines) just lapsed in April and will go down to $140/mo.

I have an iPhone 6 64GB, my sister has a Samsung S6 64GB, both my parents have the Droid Turbo. We're all pretty content with our phones, so there's no pressing need to upgrade our device unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

Should I just sit on this plan until we want to upgrade our devices (probably not until Fall)?

Yeah, I know the plan you have, and unless you are going over the data you won't find anything cheaper. Keep it, and upgrade phones as needed.

FYI check to see if you get a work discount from any of your family members on the monthly bill.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Anyone want to talk me out of getting a Pixel? The Galaxy S4 I got in 2013 is starting to actually give out on me so it's time to suck it up and finally get a new phone. Looked around a bit a few months ago and the Pixel seemed like my best bet, though I don't know if the S8 changed that (and I liked my S4 a lot, or at least enough that I'd be happy to stay in Samsung's ecosystem). This is on Verizon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should get the Pixel.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

You should get the Pixel.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, just doing due diligence (and trying to put it off more :v:)

Anyone want to recommend a good case & screen protector for a Pixel, or point me in the direction of the best thread to ask about them?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, just doing due diligence (and trying to put it off more :v:)

Anyone want to recommend a good case & screen protector for a Pixel, or point me in the direction of the best thread to ask about them?

If you're super tough on a phone reed lifeproof, but given that you have had the same phone for a while that doesn't seem to be a factor. Zagg screen protectors are fine, speck, otterbox, tech 21 are all good cases. It doesn't really matter, the whole point is having something to protect phone.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Alternatively, you may be better off getting a $240 moto g5 and waiting 6 months for the pixel 2, rather than spending $800 on the pixel. This would be if you think you might like the bezelless look, waterproof nature, and better specs of the S8, but want a phone that runs smoothly, isn't bloated with crapware and isn't guaranteed to stop working 2 years and 5 days after you buy it(if you're lucky).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Butt Discussin posted:

Alternatively, you may be better off getting a $240 moto g5 and waiting 6 months for the pixel 2, rather than spending $800 on the pixel. This would be if you think you might like the bezelless look, waterproof nature, and better specs of the S8, but want a phone that runs smoothly, isn't bloated with crapware and isn't guaranteed to stop working 2 years and 5 days after you buy it(if you're lucky).

Well I've had this phone for almost four years so actually upgrading after two years like a normal person would be a welcome change of pace for me. Plus it's actively and rapidly breaking down on me so I don't much feel like waiting for something else. I live right near a Verizon store and the person working there said they could have a Pixel here in two days so we'll see what happens with that.

E: Pixel or Pixel XL? Unfortunately because my store has to order the phone ahead of time I'm not sure if I can play with one beforehand, which is a big bummer for my own tech-buying habits.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 10, 2017

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

C-Euro posted:

E: Pixel or Pixel XL? Unfortunately because my store has to order the phone ahead of time I'm not sure if I can play with one beforehand, which is a big bummer for my own tech-buying habits.

The Pixel XL is pretty similar in size to the iPhone 7+ if you can get one of those in your hands for an idea of feel

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Pixel or Pixel XL?

My girlfriend has Pixel and I have a Pixel XL so I'm around both all the time. I came from a Nexus 5 which is a smaller phone but the XL has never felt large to me despite my not-huge hands which cannot palm a basketball. To tell the truth though I often can't tell if just one is sitting on the table to whom it belongs, they're so close in size. I doubt that helps but it's my experience.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Did anybody get any satisfaction from a bootlooping LG phone? G4, V10, or Nexus 5x? I just got final confirmation that the unwanted G5 they sent me to replace a broken N5x will never be able to tether on t-mobile, and they still won't give me a drat refund or another Nexus 5x.

I ordered a Moto G5 Plus to replace this piece of poo poo, and I guess I'm just going to hawk the LG G5 on Craigslist.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Did anybody get any satisfaction from a bootlooping LG phone? G4, V10, or Nexus 5x? I just got final confirmation that the unwanted G5 they sent me to replace a broken N5x will never be able to tether on t-mobile, and they still won't give me a drat refund or another Nexus 5x.

I ordered a Moto G5 Plus to replace this piece of poo poo, and I guess I'm just going to hawk the LG G5 on Craigslist.

Well you'll probably get money off the class action suit and you'll have the feeling you get when your problem is passed on to a stranger which feels like relief tinged with guilt. That's a lot like satisfaction.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I just made a claim against my credit card's extended warranty program on my 5X since it's been more than 12 months because gently caress dealing with LG.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the current go-to Android phone?

Back in its day, my 2nd gen. MotoX was the highest gooncommended phone. But now I have no idea.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Moto 5G+ or Google Pixel, depending on budget

FishHead
Nov 3, 2004

I'm a UK Goon and have been a EE-customer for years. When I've upgraded previously it's been to the latest Samsung Galaxy but the data plans on offer this time around are crap (and extortionate!).

I've been thinking about my requirements and am a bit stuck. Generally, I only use my mobile for Facebook, gambling & Spotify. I'd like a new handset with at least 15Gb of data per month and a decent battery life.

I'm happy to pay up to £50pcm. What do you guys recommend?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Am I missing some trick to using the fingerprint scanner on the Pixel? It seems like it works about 1 time in 10 and I can't figure out why.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Considering ditching my SERO line with Sprint after a long time with them. My iPhone 6 is starting to crap out and I'm not in contract any more, so if jumping ship gets me a better deal, I'm all for it.

Upgrading my phone through Sprint would add roughly $33/month to it for a current gen top model phone (S8, iPhone 7). That would bring my total bill to about $90 a month.

I'm in a major market (Houston) and Sprint coverage has been fine, but friends and acquaintances with different carriers seem to have higher data speeds. I use my phone primarily for email and texting, and don't use too many minutes. This is one of the reasons I've stuck with SERO - they have a small amount of minutes per month that I never even get close to, but they have unlimited data. That said, I am on WiFi networks most of the time and the most data I've used in the past year is 7 GB in a month.

Ultimately, I'd like to have something around $60-$70 a month. If I can't do better than what Sprint would be, I'll just stay where I'm at.

I would be willing to purchase a phone outright, and I actually prefer that to leasing one. The Pixel XL 32 GB is $769 and I think that's about as much as I'd want to pay.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

8gb/mo for 50$ with cricket (45 with autopay), downspeed limited to 8mbps

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Blue Train posted:

8gb/mo for 50$ with cricket (45 with autopay), downspeed limited to 8mbps
Does that include a phone? Do you bring your own? Can I port my number to them?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Chard posted:

Am I missing some trick to using the fingerprint scanner on the Pixel? It seems like it works about 1 time in 10 and I can't figure out why.

Try re-adding your fingerprints or using a different finger. If that doesn't work, it may be defective.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Does that include a phone? Do you bring your own? Can I port my number to them?

Byop, you can port your number yes. They sell phones if you want to buy from them but I wouldn't bother

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
What's everyone's opinion of the Note 5?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Butt Discussin posted:

Try re-adding your fingerprints or using a different finger. If that doesn't work, it may be defective.

I think it was because when I set it up originally I was holding it differently than I do in normal use, so it was smudging them or something. Working now that I reset it, good call.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wookieepelt posted:

What's everyone's opinion of the Note 5?

Unless you absolutely need a stylus, you can probably find something that's not two years old already for similar money that's better.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm looking at buying a new Verizon phone. My priorities are 1; battery life, and 2; camera quality. I'm on verizon.

Given those parameters; It seems like the best choice would be a Droid Turbo 2. Also the shatterproof thing seems pretty swell.

Also what the gently caress I bought my last smart phone in 2014 for like $300, when did phones become so much more expensive?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'm looking at buying a new Verizon phone. My priorities are 1; battery life, and 2; camera quality. I'm on verizon.

Given those parameters; It seems like the best choice would be a Droid Turbo 2. Also the shatterproof thing seems pretty swell.

Also what the gently caress I bought my last smart phone in 2014 for like $300, when did phones become so much more expensive?

I wouldn't pay 500 dollars for a phone from 2015. Here are camera examples comparing the Droid 2 turbo and a Moto g5, if the camera is good enough get the g5

G5:
http://phandroid.com/2017/04/05/moto-g5-plus-camera-photo-video-samples/

Droid turbo 2:
https://www.theverge.com/2015/11/6/9679854/droid-turbo-2-camera-samples

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Blue Train posted:

I wouldn't pay 500 dollars for a phone from 2015. Here are camera examples comparing the Droid 2 turbo and a Moto g5, if the camera is good enough get the g5

G5:
http://phandroid.com/2017/04/05/moto-g5-plus-camera-photo-video-samples/

Droid turbo 2:
https://www.theverge.com/2015/11/6/9679854/droid-turbo-2-camera-samples

That looks fantastic and for almost half the price.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The g series is good and basically the only thing to get unless you're spending pixel money

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'm really confused how you found a Droid Turbo 2 but not a Moto Z Play. Here's a review gushing about it, and keep in mind when they say the camera is mediocre, they're comparing it to current flagships. It'll be far better than the Droid Turbo 2.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Another solid choice, although the mention of the screen cracking seems a little worrisome combined with the higher price. The Turbo 2 seemed cool because of the extra durable screen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Another solid choice, although the mention of the screen cracking seems a little worrisome combined with the higher price. The Turbo 2 seemed cool because of the extra durable screen.

Yeah, the Turbo 2 has a known issue with the charger port going bad, so def don't get a Turbo 2 at this point.

The Droid Force (aka Turbo 3) is not bad, but for that price you might as well get a Pixel.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

FishHead posted:

I'm a UK Goon and have been a EE-customer for years. When I've upgraded previously it's been to the latest Samsung Galaxy but the data plans on offer this time around are crap (and extortionate!).

One thing I'd suggest is call and ask for your PAC code, fob off the agent and within 48 hours you'll get a call from retentions proper who give you a much better deal. I'm on a sim only plan, 15gb data, unlimited calls and texts for £16 a month.

The benefit about the PAC code thing is that if you don't use it within a certain number of days, nothing happens so I don't think there's much to lose by using this approach. YMMV.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Well at the last minute, corporate decided we were getting iPhone 7's. Welp, seems fine I guess.

Thank you for all the feedback and advice, thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
My current phone is rapidly in the way out, so I'll have to upgrade sooner than I'd have liked. What's better between the LG G6 or the Galaxy S8?