Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I think I have this person on my Twitter.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Rebel Blob posted:

You deserve an answer to this, because you have to see it.

What? Can't stain a shirt with grease and BBQ sauce if you aren't wearing one.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The thing that makes Zelda palatable is that the main character is often explicitly wrong but usually trying her best. Like, she's a jerk to her friend sometimes but she's not presented as being justified. She gets hits in on her targets, but she's usually presented as going way too far and making a scene, or the victory is petty and spiteful. She's struggling with body image poo poo and gender issues and identity stuff and it feels very much like how that happens in the real world. It's messy and blurry but kind-hearted. You get a sense of who Zelda is slowly, over time.

Compare it to Prickly City where both characters are snide sniveling little shits who don't have even half a personality between them. They're whatever the current situation needs them to be and nothing more.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I think I have this person on my Twitter.

We all follow someone like this.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

No, they are not. Day by Day is racist and sexist in a way that Zelda and Animal Nuz are not. Like, the worst thing Animal Nuzzle ever did was cheerlead and make some bad puns let's not pretend that's the same as raping your wife.

See, this thing right here? Leftists are happy with any acts of sexuality as long as there is this one thing: 'consent'. Sickos.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Somfin posted:

The thing that makes Zelda palatable is that the main character is often explicitly wrong but usually trying her best. Like, she's a jerk to her friend sometimes but she's not presented as being justified. She gets hits in on her targets, but she's usually presented as going way too far and making a scene, or the victory is petty and spiteful. She's struggling with body image poo poo and gender issues and identity stuff and it feels very much like how that happens in the real world. It's messy and blurry but kind-hearted. You get a sense of who Zelda is slowly, over time.
Yeah, that's my thought as well. She's not flawless or even very tactful, and is criticized (in a way that the comic's narrative/framing seem to agree with) for going too far and being needlessly antagonistic, even towards people who more or less agree with her. She's reactionary and hotheaded, and while that's sometimes justified, the strip doesn't make her out as some smug, constantly-vindicated model of perfection.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I AM THE TOILET posted:

You guys realize that Zelda is just Day by Day for lefties.

No, that's SATW by humon that's like that.

Say, shall we share some of their comics to demonstrate?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Samovar posted:

No, that's SATW by humon that's like that.

Say, shall we share some of their comics to demonstrate?

Yes, unleash humon on this thread. :getin:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So a lot of the stuff about these minorities looks like it was taken straight from their wiki pages (I mean that literally. I was reading the same pages last week and some of it is almost word for word.), but I think the bigger issue is how he represents minorities in Syria.

Yes Bashar and the Alawites are a religious minority (though they're still broadly Muslim), but that doesn't mean he's always been great for the Assyrians, Yazidis, etc. He hasn't. There were large diaspora communities long before the current war and those still in Syria were very much third class citizens (if they were officially citizens at all, which many Kurds/Yazidis weren't.) Freedom of worship, language, assembly, and representation were all sharply curtailed while a fascist policy of Arabization was implemented throughout the country.

The notion that they all support Assad against the Sunnis is also bullshit. Some do, but the traditional Assyrian and Yazidi heartlands are in a region of northern Syria that has largely come under the control of Syrian Kurds and their allies. The Assyrians are a major component of the Democratic Federal System of Northern Syria (aka what Rojava is calling itself this year) and Yazidis (who speak Kurdish) are also represented. Both groups have founded militias under the Syrian Democratic Forces banner and are involved in fighting ISIS at the moment. In short, they've made allies besides the regime and aren't just waiting helplessly for Assad to save them.

Exactly what the relationship is between the SDF and Assad right now is ambiguous, but they've clashed before and, even though they're both fighting ISIS, calling them allies of Assad (or just discounting them) is misleading. Nib dude should have read more Wikipedia pages.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So, I actually kind of love Zelda. She's the obnoxious "why do stupid men keep arguing back when I lecture them about feminism" girl that a lot of us know and I think strips like this really show her pettiness, as well how much she has to learn. Having the comic acknowledge how obnoxious preachy feminists can be (even/especially when they're right), takes a lot of the sting off and makes me think this is an artist who actually cares about making her strip funny, not just scoring points. It's a comic about an immature young woman who happens to be a feminist more than a "comic about feminism" and I appreciate that.

However, I'd like to humbly request that our generous translator pick a different/bigger font. The little lines of bold italics are kinda hard to read.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nenonen posted:

See, this thing right here? Leftists are happy with any acts of sexuality as long as there is this one thing: 'consent'. Sickos.

This is actually the core. A leftist DBD just has to call abortion, aka murdering babies, a good and justified thing. Just like leftists believe that abortion is good, wingnuts believe that any sex within marriage is good. The bigger problem might actually be the anal part to some. Consent is some leftist crap, what matters is the marriage contract, which by God allows a man to have all the sex he wants.

In other bad opinions, Zelda is good because it features a relatable cast with good opinions, but without making Zelda right in everything she does. It's very much preaching to the choir though, but in a way that makes said choir think about their obnoxiousness.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Problematic Take: I think Zelda is kawaii.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I prefer Hälge over Zelda when it comes to swedish newspaper comics.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Either way, Rocky can suck my balls. Sweden's Nemi.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Lodin posted:

Either way, Rocky can suck my balls. Sweden's Nemi.

This is now your second post making GBS threads on Rocky, one of the most critically acclaimed contemporary Scandinavian comic strips, when no one else is talking about it, and I have to say I'm curious where your hate-boner for it comes from. Comparing it to Nemi seems especially strange considering how different they are, if anything Zelda is Sweden's Nemi (and does it a lot better).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The one, true, European comic.

Also :nws: fine, since I'm nice today:nws:

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 4, 2017

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
laugh at my boner will they

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah uh can I ask that that NWS image get properly linked instead of improperly spoiler-tagged sometime before I get to work and open this thread again

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

You can't look at cartoon dicks at work? You work at a Bible factory or something?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Yes, this is actually real and actually happening.

Originally published in New York Call between 1917-1918.

by Barry Deutsch

And Maia Kobabe on what fascism means.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A new study says humans were in America 130,000 years ago.

Native Americans can be rightfully skeptical of theories regarding global human migration, because it could and probably has been used to justify colonialism with "Well they're not actually native, it's not actually their land". I guess this latest theory is kind of good news if it's true?

Here's a cartoon Two Bulls drew in November 2015:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
NFA (Canada's NRA equivalent) doesn't like their gay cowboy prime minister.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

NFA (Canada's NRA equivalent) doesn't like their gay cowboy prime minister.

I have never wanted to move to Canada more then right now.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/davpope/status/860104353268375552

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Jay Rust posted:

We participated in a genocide, Barney.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Jay Rust posted:

Not necessarily humans, the paper says it might/could've been/probably was another hominid species.

Thoughtless fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 4, 2017

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I can understand why this might be a sore subject for Two Bulls, but if Native Americans didn't originate in the same place and time as every other subdivision of homo sapiens, the implication is that they're a separate species, which isn't really a great stance to take either

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Context, she isn't being jailed for laughing at Sessions, she's liable to go to jail up to a year for interrupting a senate hearing. Like you're free to mock people all you want in government but you can't just go interrupting its processes without getting smacked around.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ramos posted:

Context, she isn't being jailed for laughing at Sessions, she's liable to go to jail up to a year for interrupting a senate hearing. Like you're free to mock people all you want in government but you can't just go interrupting its processes without getting smacked around.
Lmao you're defending the Sessions justice department.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Darn, you're right. Time to lie down in defeat.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ramos posted:

Just like how people aren't arrested for being black but for resisting arrest.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Ramos posted:

The jury, according to the article, said it was wrong for them to remove her from the proceedings for laughing yet she can be sent to jail for resisting that same wrongful removal? :wtc:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I remember when that guy interrupted Obama's speech and called him a liar and was put in jail for a year because the law is the law.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

The jury, according to the article, said it was wrong for them to remove her from the proceedings for laughing yet she can be sent to jail for resisting the wrongful removal? :wtc:

American_justice.txt

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Radish posted:

I remember when that guy interrupted Obama's speech and called him a liar and was put in jail for a year because the law is the law.

American_justice.txt

I am legitimately furious right now...

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

Is there a place where all of them are translated or is Alhazred translating them for us pro bono (in which case thanks, seriously)

I've seen them translated.

To a language you probably don't speak either.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Ramos posted:

Cool! This snopes page has a video of the incident in which you can pretty clearly see poo poo didn't get interrupted. The arrest was pretty blatantly more disruptive than the laughter.

edit: I mean I guess to be wholly fair to you, members of the jury anonymously said it was her behavior when being removed that got her convicted, but the thrust of the Justice Department's argument was that the laughter itself was disruptive.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 4, 2017

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Some things happened.
1 Latest scandal puts spotlight on possible extremist views in the Bundeswehr
3 Swiss 'spied inside German ministry' in tax scandal. See also Apfelschuss.
"Schützenhilfe" doesn't translate well. It's an idiom that just means "support", but could be translated literally as "marksman's aid". :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Frankly I'm loving sick of loathsome people supporting horrible things pushing "god bless!" or "our prayers go out to.." as if that absolves them from kicking people off healthcare, supporting minorities being murdered by police, or just general loving over LGBT folks. I bet her last tweet was talking about how good the latest Trump EO was so everyone yelling at her based on her history and hypocritical nature is totally valid.

But no it's because everyone is so offended by the most popular religion in the country that's it.

• Locked thread