Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

acksplode posted:

Back it up to a USB thumb drive and hit it with a hammer

Killing a clone as catharsis is unethical. You need to go and find the source drive or disk and hit that with a hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

All good ideas guys. I will take them into consideration.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I started Nioh several days ago and decided I'm really just not having fun with it. I liked the intro London level a fair amount, and thought it seemed promising, then after playing a few missions after that I just was like "gently caress I'm really not enjoying this" halfway through. I'm not even really sure what rubs me wrong but something just does. Does it actually pickup at all?

I'm glad I bought used physical media since I can probably just throw it on SA-Mart for most of my money back at least.

I think I'm just going to dive into Bloodborne instead (I did like DS2 a lot)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

veni veni veni posted:

Outlast 2 update for the zero other people who are playing it.

This might be flat out the most aggressively unfun game I have ever played. Like, the gameplay is such monumental poo poo I am sort of in awe at how much worse it is than the first game. I wish it was on disc so I could fling it off a building. Thanks for listening.

sometimes I miss destroying the case manual and disc of a game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Xaris posted:

I started Nioh several days ago and decided I'm really just not having fun with it. I liked the intro London level a fair amount, and thought it seemed promising, then after playing a few missions after that I just was like "gently caress I'm really not enjoying this" halfway through. I'm not even really sure what rubs me wrong but something just does. Does it actually pickup at all?

I'm glad I bought used physical media since I can probably just throw it on SA-Mart for most of my money back at least.

I like Nioh a lot more than darksouls and rate it alongside BB, but I like them for different reasons. Nioh will eventually become much more like Ninja Gaiden as you progress and once you master ki pulses and poo poo you'll be attacking non stop while blocking and dodging the right attacks from enemies. I think Nioh shines when you are fighting human bosses like ninjas and other samurai and if you invest in learning the combat system its really loving deep and more along the lines of a fighter than a souls game.

I haven't finished Horizon, Nier or Last Guardian because of Nioh, so I obviously loving love it, but I can understand why it might not be for everyone.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Xaris posted:

I'm a little over halfway through the game and wouldn't say so, in that interval at least. I enjoyed it at the start but am struggling to enjoy it the further I go, so I put it on hold for now. Something happens every 5 minutes or less that makes no sense, and the game doesn't explain any of it so I feel like I understand it less and less as I go on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Digirat posted:

I'm a little over halfway through the game and wouldn't say so, in that interval at least. I enjoyed it at the start but am struggling to enjoy it the further I go, so I put it on hold for now. Something happens every 5 minutes or less that makes no sense, and the game doesn't explain any of it so I feel like I understand it less and less as I go on.

Do you mean the story or the gameplay? Half the items and abilities in the game flat out lie about what they do which is kind of infuriating. I understood the story fine, I have a lot more trouble understanding my motivation in souls and bb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nioh doesn't have a story, it has random cutscenes spliced together.

I mean you know what white dude is after but gently caress if that is enough to care.

Also you are probably past the good part as it just gets more repetitive as time goes on.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The gameplay. I mean the story doesn't make much sense either (the descriptions of the cutscenes in the menu barely match what they actually show and the cutscenes themselves aren't connected at all) but it's the gameplay that's getting to me. I may need to read up on skills and items if the ingame descriptions aren't accurate.

Even so, a lot of the weirdness and inconsistency I see has nothing to do with skills or items. It's poo poo like tachibana attacking with no stamina, and then I hit him while he has no stamina and it doesn't set him up for the grapple.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can see why Nioh feels like diminishing returns for some people (myself included) and why some people love it. There are some things it really nails but a lot of its cracks start to show after a certain point and they are the type of things some people won't care about much, and some people might find as deal breakers. For me the repetition and the loot overkill and the nonsense story started to feel like too much. It feels pretty drat padded.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 4, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Digirat posted:

The gameplay. I mean the story doesn't make much sense either (the descriptions of the cutscenes in the menu barely match what they actually show) but it's the gameplay that's getting to me. I may need to read up on skills and items if the ingame descriptions aren't accurate.

I didn't understand how to play the game until I'd nearly finished NG. The weapon specific dojos will teach you some poo poo but they unlock in the final region which is very helpful.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nioh doesn't have a story, it has random cutscenes spliced together.

I mean you know what white dude is after but gently caress if that is enough to care.

Also you are probably past the good part as it just gets more repetitive as time goes on.

It makes perfect sense if you have the feudal Japan wikipedia page open next to you while playing. I actually thought it was kind of cute going through the game as this Irish dude trying to get his childhood friend back while going "what the gently caress is this dude on about" during every cutscene. It felt authentic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

JBP posted:

I didn't understand how to play the game until I'd nearly finished NG. The weapon specific dojos will teach you some poo poo but they unlock in the final region which is very helpful.

It makes perfect sense if you have the feudal Japan wikipedia page open next to you while playing. I actually thought it was kind of cute going through the game as this Irish dude trying to get his childhood friend back while going "what the gently caress is this dude on about" during every cutscene. It felt authentic.

Nah even then it doesn't make much sense, though it does help explain what is happening in the background m though ultimately none of that poo poo matters.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tachibana has extremely fast ki regen, so that even when it looks like he is empty his regen allows him to attack. If you have lifeseal on him, he can definitely get exhausted

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm playing the DLC right now and it's pretty rad. I like all the new enemy types although I'm not too sold on the new weapon, but I can't complain as the parry window on countering NPCs using it is basically large enough that you can sneeze at any point during an attack and get it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Policenaut posted:

I'm playing the DLC right now and it's pretty rad. I like all the new enemy types although I'm not too sold on the new weapon, but I can't complain as the parry window on countering NPCs using it is basically large enough that you can sneeze at any point during an attack and get it.

I played through the DLC using the Odachi. It's got a weird moveset that you need to set up in skill selection, then you can chain through different stances without manually changing. I made it work in an ok fashion, but I imagine there are more skilled people around pulling off baller combos with it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Xaris posted:

bloodborne combat shits all over nioh (and ds2 combat for that matter. i cant go back to ds2 anymore)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Awesome! posted:

bloodborne combat shits all over nioh (and ds2 combat for that matter. i cant go back to ds2 anymore)

I disagree because they're entirely different. I agree on dark souls though, the combat is too slow for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dark Souls 3 combat owns.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Wait, the Nioh guy is supposed to be Irish?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Mordiceius posted:

Day of Defeat was a good game and that's where I spent 98% of my WWII video game time.

Insanely this

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

fridge corn posted:

Insanely this

So so much this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If you try to play Nioh like Dark Souls, you're really not gonna have fun.

Definitely experiment with different weapons though.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
As if I wasn't already complaining about gaming on PC and how things don't work...

Downloaded Gears of War 4 on Windows 10 cause I got it on Xbox. It doesn't make it past the splash screen without crashing.

Downloaded Forza Horizon 3 cause the update killed the game on my Xbox and Microsoft support doesn't have a clue and will only give me a refund...but anyways downloaded it on Windows 10 and...severe controller lag + the inability to get over 40 fps on my 1080 GTX because optimization is poo poo.

And then outside access on my Plex server has glitched up and I've spent 2 hours troubleshooting that cause something broke it after it has worked for 6 months straight.

I've got a life, WHY WONT COMPUTER THINGS JUST WORK 😭

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of crashing I just realized that I bought XCom 2 on the PS4 quite a while ago (having played it on PC before) but it crashed during the tutorial mission, less than five minutes in, and I haven't played it since.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 4, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

89 posted:

WHY WONT COMPUTER THINGS JUST WORK 😭

PS4 + Mac masterrace

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah Nioh is more like a Ninja Gaiden game which took some inspiration from Souls for some mechanics and then took Diablo's loot system. If you go in expecting Souls, you won't enjoy it. But if you go in expecting Ninja Gaiden but not poo poo like the last few Ninja Gaiden games, you'll probably enjoy it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

89 posted:

As if I wasn't already complaining about gaming on PC and how things don't work...

Downloaded Gears of War 4 on Windows 10 cause I got it on Xbox. It doesn't make it past the splash screen without crashing.

Downloaded Forza Horizon 3 cause the update killed the game on my Xbox and Microsoft support doesn't have a clue and will only give me a refund...but anyways downloaded it on Windows 10 and...severe controller lag + the inability to get over 40 fps on my 1080 GTX because optimization is poo poo.

And then outside access on my Plex server has glitched up and I've spent 2 hours troubleshooting that cause something broke it after it has worked for 6 months straight.

I've got a life, WHY WONT COMPUTER THINGS JUST WORK 😭

I was confused by the Windows store reputation because Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4 work the best on my PC. Very console-like. The other launchers are all poorly designed but serviceable, Steam doesn't seem much better than the others.

Still mostly playing Cities Skylines though.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The thing I have never tried for the racing games, are those sim like steering wheels gas,brake and handling setups.
Wonder if that really makes a difference in playing those games.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the division is free this weekend. can i play the story without ps plus?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

DoctorGonzo posted:

the division is free this weekend. can i play the story without ps plus?

Probably?

Also you should all play The Division again, it's actually pretty great now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sefal posted:

The thing I have never tried for the racing games, are those sim like steering wheels gas,brake and handling setups.
Wonder if that really makes a difference in playing those games.

Depends if it's arcadey/sim. Gran Turismo, Forza proper, iRacing, Euro/American Truck Sim really benefit from it. Stuff like Need For Speed, Forza Horizon, Burnout etc don't IMHO and are better with a pad.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I expanded my PS4 game collection a little. I spotted some cheap amazon deals and decided to go full force in order to have a few things to mess around in.

I got Hitman's full package, Dying Light full on enhanced version, Darksiders 1 anime edition, Witcher 3 full version and Shadow of Mordor full version :D All for under £40 thanks to credit and deals. I am going to enjoy all this I think!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

VideoGames posted:

I expanded my PS4 game collection a little. I spotted some cheap amazon deals and decided to go full force in order to have a few things to mess around in.

I got Hitman's full package, Dying Light full on enhanced version, Darksiders 1 anime edition, Witcher 3 full version and Shadow of Mordor full version :D All for under £40 thanks to credit and deals. I am going to enjoy all this I think!

Save Witcher 3 for last. It will literally ruin every other game for you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or you'll get fed up of the crappy combat after a few hours

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

VideoGames posted:

Happy playing! We all have to remember its all about playing and enjoying games. Bitching about them is a terrible thing to do.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

wrong

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Or you'll be mystified why everyone has a grudge against the serviceable combat system while being overwhelmed by the wealth of in game content to the point itll still remain unfinished 2 years from now.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I need to get into Horizon once I'm done with the DLC of Nioh, Wildlands and Resident Evil. Maybe some time nearer Christmas...

Sakurazuka posted:

Seriously, play W3 for the main story and the more involved side quests. The open world and combat aspects are pretty pants.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

poptart_fairy posted:

The open world and combat aspects are pretty pants.

But enough about Nier A