Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Another mini done while deployed. I might base him while I'm out here, or I might wait until I'm home. Haven't decided yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warboot
Dec 13, 2012

Snuff films...Ya know, for kids!

Yeast posted:

I'd recommend using bronze/brass/gold as trim. Unintended bonus- you can wash it with purple too to age it.

What do you think of a tinbits?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
As part of the retro month in the Oath thread, plus sorting through a load of old models, I decided to paint up one of the oldest minis I have.

On the left, one of the first few minis I've painted, from sometime around 1994/1995. I think some of the paints (particularly the metal) are the old Humbrol ones I used for model planes.

On the right, the same model painted last week. Purely an exercise in showing progress, as it's unlikely I'll ever end up using it in a game.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Nice! You've come a long way.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Love the highlighting on that grot's face. It's so bright! =)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JackMann posted:

Another mini done while deployed. I might base him while I'm out here, or I might wait until I'm home. Haven't decided yet.

I think some of the other footmen may have put something in his ale for a gag

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So I went out and picked up a bunch of rocks to be used on bases today but what's the best way to clean them? Boil them in water/Rinse them with boiling water or just bake them in an oven for a while?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

So I went out and picked up a bunch of rocks to be used on bases today but what's the best way to clean them? Boil them in water/Rinse them with boiling water or just bake them in an oven for a while?

Did you dig them out of dog poop? Other than maybe rinsing off the dirt, I don't see a need to disinfect them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Did you dig them out of dog poop? Other than maybe rinsing off the dirt, I don't see a need to disinfect them.

Better to be safe than sorry I figured but I figure a warm water rinse will be sufficient.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I was thinking about painting up the Dark Vengeance csm as Black Legion, but I'm not sure how to paint all that black without them looking kinda basic.

Anyone have some tips or maybe a decent little guide?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Next stage of the Doom Cogs Sergeant is done. I'm fairly happy with how the hazard stripes turned out on the Chainsword. I hate that it's a little wobbly. For the life of me, I cannot paint a straight line. Does anyone know if there's a little paint-pen or something I could use to create a consistent size line?

Still have to edge highlight the red and extreme edge highlight, then highlight the metal armor.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Looking good. One suggestion: Thin your wash a bit more, and then touch up with the base color to neaten it up a little.

EDIT:

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I was thinking about painting up the Dark Vengeance csm as Black Legion, but I'm not sure how to paint all that black without them looking kinda basic.

One thing to help with that is to use color when you highlight the black. Don't just use grey and white. Mix a little red in there. So long as about 80% of the surface is black, it should still read as black. Objects in real life tend to pick up some of the color of things around them, especially light sources. Things looking pure white or pure black are actually fairly rare.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 3, 2017

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Is it worth it to add a tank in line with my Air Compressor, or just buy a Sparmax TC?

Currently I use my Airbrushes (mostly Paasche and a couple Central Pnumatics [Harbor Freights]) mostly for primer on units and terrain. I put my 7gallon tool compressor outside, run the airline to a connector mounted on a metal brace I used to block off the previous owners doggy door, then to a second moisture trap and regulator so I could manage flow on the workbench. This system works great for the bit of Airbrushing I have done in the past, but I am looking to move the setup to the next level. I was painting puppet parts for a friend last night and just got tired of compressor kicking on every few minutes. Even muffled it is annoying.

Warboot
Dec 13, 2012

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Paint em whatever color you want and just give them black legion iconography, those purple dudes I'm painting are gonna be played as Black Legion

Warboot fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 3, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm trying to find the pictures of Jojo that happen when they're posing. Looking to find the right shapes and colors for the background here.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Warboot posted:

What do you think of a tinbits?

A good base colour, but by itself it's very very muted. Especially if you wash it for definition.

If you're wanting to go with that deep warm metallic tone, consider Runelord Brass / P3 Molten Brass / Scale 75 Viking Gold - as they'll still be dark once washed, but not almost black.

Purple is a hard colour to oppose with dark tones - most of the time they'll end up lost, so use it sparingly (imo) like black in between armour plates.

Warboot
Dec 13, 2012

Yeast posted:

A good base colour, but by itself it's very very muted. Especially if you wash it for definition.

If you're wanting to go with that deep warm metallic tone, consider Runelord Brass / P3 Molten Brass / Scale 75 Viking Gold - as they'll still be dark once washed, but not almost black.

Purple is a hard colour to oppose with dark tones - most of the time they'll end up lost, so use it sparingly (imo) like black in between armour plates.

I ended up taking it to one of the locals who has an art major they suggested Balthasar gold, Highlight it with Ghennas Gold, and then wash with Druchii Violet

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Can I use Simple Green to clean between colors in an Airbrush or is that a bad idea?

edit: forgot to be specific :3:

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 4, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Warboot posted:

I ended up taking it to one of the locals who has an art major they suggested Balthasar gold, Highlight it with Ghennas Gold, and then wash with Druchii Violet

Awesome!

Now post pics.

mango sentinel posted:

Can I use Simple Green to clean between colors or is that a bad idea?

This is not wise.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Yeast posted:

This is not wise.

Should I get Iwata Medea cleaner or what?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

mango sentinel posted:

Should I get Iwata Medea cleaner or what?

Ooooooh, I'm a dumb gently caress. I thought you meant on models

Jesus Christ I need a coffee.

Simplegreen for an airbrush is fine. I keep a 50/50 mix of water and simple green in a glass and dump the airbrush into that during painting sessions. 100% fine.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Orc and Goblin

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Ammonia-free Windex and water also makes a good combo for doing quick cleanout. A condiment squeeze bottle ran me a whole 50 cents from Wal-Mart for it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The bases on that Orc and Goblin are pretty sweet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I like the thin lines on your orc's pants. I'm about to paint my freebooterz and I was worried about trying to paint consistent sized lines but that seems a little easier for me to pull off.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Zaphod42 posted:

I like the thin lines on your orc's pants. I'm about to paint my freebooterz and I was worried about trying to paint consistent sized lines but that seems a little easier for me to pull off.

I shaded and highlighted the yellow before I painted the stripes, but if I do it again, I think I would rather just put the base coat on and then add the red lines, and highlight around it. Easier to correct mistakes that way

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Those are awesome and the bases are rad as hell! What are you using them for?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Orc and Goblin

Is...is that just freehanded 2d on the bases? :swoon:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Orc and Goblin

I love the skin on these. This is how orcs should be, really vibrant! Tons of character in these two. Great job!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Those are awesome and the bases are rad as hell! What are you using them for?

Nothing really, its just for fun. Maybe I can find a dungeon crawler to use them in.

Im trying replicate the frostgrave soldier bases

Kevin Dallimore does it better tho :allears:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Kevin Dallimore does it better tho :allears:
You are being too hard on yourself. Those bases are awesome.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting these mans

Zuul the Cat posted:

Here's the tactical paint scheme done. Still gotta add transfers to him and drybrush the base, but overall I'm really happy with it. I included a shot of the terminator for comparison.

Also, fun fact - Martian Ironearth and Martian Ironcrust are not the same thing.

and the terminator

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Warboot posted:

Paint em whatever color you want and just give them black legion iconography, those purple dudes I'm painting are gonna be played as Black Legion

I'm a big advocate of painting for fun and personal taste, this time I'm choosing the black and gold theme specifically because I love the dark opulence of it. I was mainly asking for tips on painting black and it's shades. I know I could have just YouTube'd some tutorials, but there's some :heysexy: painters in itt.

JackMann posted:

Looking good. One suggestion: Thin your wash a bit more, and then touch up with the base color to neaten it up a little.

EDIT:

One thing to help with that is to use color when you highlight the black. Don't just use grey and white. Mix a little red in there. So long as about 80% of the surface is black, it should still read as black. Objects in real life tend to pick up some of the color of things around them, especially light sources. Things looking pure white or pure black are actually fairly rare.

Cool thanks! This is just what I was wondering about.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Orc and Goblin

These guys are real fun, and I like the base texture thing you painted. That seems like it'd work great for dungeon crawling RPGs.

Watch the gently caress out, traitors and heretics, the Black Templars are comin to town:

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

dexefiend posted:

http://www.models-workshop.com/2016/light-arch-part-1/

Be part of the one true lighting solution, The Light Arch!

Here is mine:

I'm really interested in trying something like that. As usual I''l warn about checking the RA (or CRI) of the LEDs. Cheap LEDs (and CFLs) have a very poor colour rendition, which means your coulours look very different under those LEDs than they do in daylight. The colours may be off, and blending will look different. Ideally you want LEDs with at CRI of 90 or more. They are a lot more expensive though. It's a shame this is not mentioned in that link at all, as it's one of the most important considerations for stuff like this.

CRI is not the same as colour temperature.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I decided I wanted to make a Chaos kill team for Shadow War Armageddon, and I really like the color scheme for Alpha Legion. I spent yesterday doing a test run on an aspiring champion; I'm overall happy with it, but want to work the green into the scheme more to make it more obviously Alpha Legion. Any suggestions for working more green in, or just overall improvement? I'm considering coloring the helmet green since most of it is blue. I probably should have painted some spare space marines as test models.

(I promise it looks better in person; I hate how it looks in photos!) I based with Tamiya metallic blue, washed with drakenhof nightshade. The green is Vallejo Escorpena Green. I did blue touchups with a bit of macragge blue from my start painting space marines set. I have thunderhawk and lothern blue for blue highlights, but may need to invest in a teal/more greens.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 5, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Didnt someone do an awesome Alpha Legion with metallics and transparent blue green?

I will try and find it when i get home.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

This is really cool, thank you. I happen to have all of the paints required, as well!

SRM posted:

Watch the gently caress out, traitors and heretics, the Black Templars are comin to town:

These are really great, and I love the Badcast. Keep it up!

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Orc and Goblin

This is inspirational!

You have taken an orc model that I despise, and made me love it.
I've got tonnes of these guys kicking around in my 'probably never gonna use' box, but now I'm reconsidering.

I particularly like your metals and wood work.