Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only thing CineD likes more than ponderous boring art films are in fact comic book movies that they can write 10,000 word treatises about how Megatron is actually a transgendered black woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Is a goongret "I'm sorry I got talked into buying this" or "I'm sorry I can't enjoy this as much as my goon friends"?

I suspect either would work, though I think most people are going for the former right now.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Oh yeah it's not a full solution, but P4G did implement some changes to this. On Normal and I think Hard you restart a floor when you get a game over, Easy lets you restart whatever fight you died in, and I think only Very Hard forces you to reload your last save.

Ah, that sounds like a nice little QOL improvement. As is I guess I'll just exit and save a every couple of floors or something. Kinda like swapping out characters anyways to keep everyone around the same level and spread the SP usage load around a little and keep the party going for longer before everyone's just tapped out for the day. Transferring that Reinvigorate skill that recovers SP every round to a Persona worth a drat helps out a little; seems like the Protagonist is always forced to do the most in terms of SP usage.

You don't get "tired" in this game like in Persona 3 but it kind of doesn't matter since you'll eventually run out of SP anyways unless you're fighting things you can just stomp into the ground with physical attacks and if you're strong enough to do that there's usually not much point in really doing it.

I do kinda wish the dungeoneering was a little more broken-up; seems like if you really wanna be ~efficient~ you have to get as far as you can and just totally exhaust all your SP before you peace out which can take a while.

I've started listening to podcasts while doing dungeonstuff; I couldn't take it anymore

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Which game is your biggest goongret

Binding of Isaac. And it wasn't the art style (though I didn't particularly like that), the gameplay just was not fun for me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Jay Rust posted:

Is a goongret "I'm sorry I got talked into buying this" or "I'm sorry I can't enjoy this as much as my goon friends"?

There are games I've played that I could see the goodness in despite not agreeing with goon consensus (TW3) but I took it to mean "still angry I actually spent cash money on this."

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

spudsbuckley posted:

Recently, Nier:Automata.

A good 4-5 hour game stretched over 10s of hours and multiple playthroughs in a deeply lovely open world.

Its not even that for me, the world's fine, I like the idea of multiple playthroughs, the overall artistic design is great, the genre mash up is amazing but to experience all that you need to slog through a combat system devoid of charm or finesse or even meaning. The game was more fun for me playing on easy and having the combat sections literally play themselves. There is barely an actual GAME in there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm still mad I bought unreal tournament 3 but I don't think that was goon recommended.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ah, that sounds like a nice little QOL improvement. As is I guess I'll just exit and save a every couple of floors or something. Kinda like swapping out characters anyways to keep everyone around the same level and spread the SP usage load around a little and keep the party going for longer before everyone's just tapped out for the day. Transferring that Reinvigorate skill that recovers SP every round to a Persona worth a drat helps out a little; seems like the Protagonist is always forced to do the most in terms of SP usage.

You don't get "tired" in this game like in Persona 3 but it kind of doesn't matter since you'll eventually run out of SP anyways unless you're fighting things you can just stomp into the ground with physical attacks and if you're strong enough to do that there's usually not much point in really doing it.

I do kinda wish the dungeoneering was a little more broken-up; seems like if you really wanna be ~efficient~ you have to get as far as you can and just totally exhaust all your SP before you peace out which can take a while.

I've started listening to podcasts while doing dungeonstuff; I couldn't take it anymore
I don't know how far you are yet but leveling up Hermit makes it such that you can stay in a dungeon perpetually. Even at level 1 (required prior to the bathouse I believe) you can do so, it's just rather expensive and might be a net negative if you're not making it up to close to the boss.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

A couple of Persona 5's dungeons actively break up dungeon crawling by requiring you to do something in the real world to open up more of a dungeon. But you're still very strongly incentivized to do dungeons in the minimum amount of days possible. Unfortunately, that clashes with how long the dungeons are and I know it causes some people to burn out.

Assuming Persona continues with the daily schedule thing (and it probably will, because it's working very well for the series), it'd be great if there were more incentives to do dungeons over multiple days. One thing that might help is letting dungeons help you with your social stats and social links. Maybe negotiating with enemies (which Persona 5 brought back) lets you increase your social stats a certain number of times per day, so doing dungeon stuff is actually a reasonably efficient way to do that and you don't feel like you're hindering your ability to progress your social stats/links by spending more than one day in a dungeon. Or have some dungeon treasure or enemy drops be gifts that you can give your social links, so doing a dungeon can actually get you points towards advancing a social link.

Right now, social stuff helps you out in dungeons (by letting you make stronger Personas), but dungeons only hinder your social progression. It'd be cool if they each helped each other, especially so that people who want to max as many social links as possible don't necessarily feel like they need to adhere perfectly to a day-by-day guide and force themselves through dungeons in one long slog.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 4, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

People can keep saying how the unholy union between Telltale and Borderlands is somehow not absolute garbage but I will never believe them, not even when I could trivially download it now that it's free for PSN.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Phantasium posted:

People can keep saying how the unholy union between Telltale and Borderlands is somehow not absolute garbage but I will never believe them, not even when I could trivially download it now that it's free for PSN.

I'd probably have played it by now if it was literally any other setting but Borderlands.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's not even the enormous technical jank of TWD S1 that I hate so much, as terrible as that was. I just don't loving like most zombie stories or at least ones that play them straight. I should've known from the very beginning that it was not going to be a game I was going to enjoy but I still got talked into it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

my biggest game purchase regrets probably were Xenoblade Chronicles X or Just Cause 3, both of which came out in the same 10-day span. Played JC3 after I had 2 wisdom teeth pulled and playing a game where explosions bring down the framerate to like 15fps in a game where explosions are the norm and also all the cool poo poo is locked behind godawful mini-trials ruined the game for me forever. This was on console, which made the game worse with every corrective "patch."

XCX was just poo poo-tier in every regard. Progression locked behind Ubisoft-tier "activate a pylon" poo poo, needlessly making combat complex to an obtuse level with all the new and actually worthless statuses, awful story and characters. I remember playing the previous game and going to places like Frontier Village and every NPC had so much personality. Then in XCX you can't even talk to anyone, they just stand there while that loving home base music loops over and over.

Goddamn I'm glad XC2 looks more like the first game, even if the designs still suck; I don't know why they won't return to how the characters looked in XC instead of turning up the animeface dial.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The lesson of the last page or so: when it comes to buying games, trust your instincts over other peoples' recommendations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Don't think I ever regretted a game purchase even those that I haven't played yet.

Edit: nvm. Just remembered that I bought AC Unity on launch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

Goddamn I'm glad XC2 looks more like the first game, even if the designs still suck; I don't know why they won't return to how the characters looked in XC instead of turning up the animeface dial.

There are ways to do anime faces in HD games well, but for some reason there are a few developers who just insist on doing it the worst way possible and making everyone look like a misshapen plastic anime action figure. Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 definitely went into the "why would you do it this way" route, as did Star Ocean.

Persona 5 does it pretty well, mostly by just painting the eyes and mouths on characters' heads and letting shading do a lot of the work. Nobody would call it a super graphically-impressive game, but that's not the point and I'm glad the characters' faces aren't painful to look at.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 4, 2017

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Its me in the guy who loved Borderlands 2 enough to play it start to finish solo twice but can't stand Tales from the Borderlands.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Yeah Just Cause 2 had some issues but gave me a lot of hope for Just Cause 3 which ended up being not great. I don't know how you take that formula and make it bad but they managed to.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Phantasium posted:

It takes the Borderlands setting away from the Borderlands writers, and the railroading of Telltale's stuff becomes less frustrating when the setting is sillier.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

You should never trust the opinion of someone who is on New Game+++++ or talks about doing a level 1/no potions/no pants run of a game.

These people are deeply broken and are far beyond being able to give a useful opinion about the game in question anymore.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

My biggest gamegret is DX: Human Revolution. What a weirdly unsatisfying game.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Macarius Wrench posted:

Its me in the guy who loved Borderlands 2 enough to play it start to finish solo twice but can't stand Tales from the Borderlands.

I also really enjoy borderlands an inordinate amount, but I just never feel interested just watching a story and clicking a few buttons, maybe that's not what tales is like, but I'd rather be the badass shooting the guns than just a regular guy in a crazy world with crazy people.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Macarius Wrench posted:

Oh poo poo. We finally found 'em. :geno:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

an actual dog posted:

My biggest gamegret is DX: Human Revolution. What a weirdly unsatisfying game.

That's a recent one for me. Not so much a goongret because I didn't buy it on anyone's recommendation. For some reason I just couldn't get into it at all.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

spudsbuckley posted:

You should never trust the opinion of someone who is on New Game+++++ or talks about doing a level 1/no potions/no pants run of a game.

These people are deeply broken and are far beyond being able to give a useful opinion about the game in question anymore.

I appreciate if someone is enjoying a game as fully as they can, and you should too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Enter the Gungeon. Even more disappointing because it starts out promising and fun but quickly becomes grindy and unsatisfying, with a shitload of weapons that are utterly worthless or take forever to kill anything.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

spudsbuckley posted:

Bonus points if they actually give the game they've put 100s of hours into a bad review, see: oh so much of Steam.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Starbound (although it was more irl friends than goons).

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

Oh yeah it's not a full solution, but P4G did implement some changes to this. On Normal and I think Hard you restart a floor when you get a game over, Easy lets you restart whatever fight you died in, and I think only Very Hard forces you to reload your last save.

SMT4 Apocalypse solves this with just straight up no consequences for failure, you spawn right before whatever battle you died in. It owns.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I don't have any goongrets. I'm trying to think of one and completely blanking.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

GLAAD trash bags posted:

I also really enjoy borderlands an inordinate amount, but I just never feel interested just watching a story and clicking a few buttons, maybe that's not what tales is like, but I'd rather be the badass shooting the guns than just a regular guy in a crazy world with crazy people.

That is exactly what tales and indeed every telltale game is and its why they bore me silly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I don't have any goongrets. I'm trying to think of one and completely blanking.

For me I think it's just because I rarely buy games based on peoples' recommendations alone. If someone recommends a game but I look into it and get the feeling I wouldn't enjoy it, I generally just pass on it, no matter how much the other person insists I'd love it. I've probably missed out on at least a few games that would surprise me, but at the same time, I have no specifically goongrets.

That's not to say I haven't bought games I regret buying. It's just my own drat fault every time.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

I don't know how far you are yet but leveling up Hermit makes it such that you can stay in a dungeon perpetually. Even at level 1 (required prior to the bathouse I believe) you can do so, it's just rather expensive and might be a net negative if you're not making it up to close to the boss.

Ah yeah it's at level 4 or something now and still seems like a net negative.... I like the little sidequests associated with it though so I'm going through it.

RE: Overlong Dungeoneering- I don't dislike the dungeons I guess but I kind of dread doing them because I know I'll be doing only that for a few hours of gameplay. The mixture of gameplay types is what makes P4 compelling; don't lock me into doing one thing for so long.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

spudsbuckley posted:

unless its shovel knight, in which case, the game owns

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my biggest regret is the walking dead: season 2 i guess, even though it wasn't really goon pressure. i really liked season 1 but, season 2 turned out to be, maybe the worst episodic adventure game thing i have ever played

i really like tales from the borderlands but that comes from a position of kind of hating mainline borderlands because i think the actual shooting in those games feels like poop and the writing is insanely bad and the games are filled with really one-note joke characters that i absolutely hate, so a lot of my love for it is that i think it's just a more fun story with more likable takes on its characters than any other game in the series. i also like it a lot because it's basically the only game telltale's made since the walking dead s1 that doesn't just absolutely fall to loving pieces holy poo poo everything after they revealed the crooked man in the wolf among us was so lazy and dumb

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

RE: Overlong Dungeoneering- I don't dislike the dungeons I guess but I kind of dread doing them because I know I'll be doing only that for a few hours of gameplay. The mixture of gameplay types is what makes P4 compelling; don't lock me into doing one thing for so long.

Yeah, that's why I think it'd be great if dungeon-crawling helped your social growth like your social growth helps your dungeon-crawling. Personally, I enjoy the long dungeon crawls and never minded doing the dungeons in the minimum amount of time, but it's definitely gonna burn people out and it also means the game is even more divided between its "JRPG" and "life sim" sides.

If dungeon-crawling had social benefits as well, doing the dungeons over multiple days could be made to be much more efficient than it is now, so people who want to enjoy both sides of the game in each play session won't be hindering their ability to do as many social links as possible.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My kokoro regret? DayZ, no doubt.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

Persona 5 does it pretty well, mostly by just painting the eyes and mouths on characters' heads and letting shading do a lot of the work. Nobody would call it a super graphically-impressive game, but that's not the point and I'm glad the characters' faces aren't painful to look at.

Yeah I really like P4/5's art style, they don't go for some ultraweeb look and people look cartoony without being gross saucerplate-eyed aliens.

spudsbuckley posted:

From Software games

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I would like Tales games more if I could turn off voices in battles specifically. I wanna hear the battle music, not wall-to-wall attack name shouts. :smith:

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah I really like P4/5's art style, they don't go for some ultraweeb look and people look cartoony without being gross saucerplate-eyed aliens.

The character model/face style Atlus has used for Catherine and now Persona 5 is really good and I hope they continue on that path for the inevitable Persona 6. The shading has just the right amount of sharp edges for everything to look animated but not necessarily cel shaded. The faces are clearly cartoony but not huge-eyed plastic dolls. They have expressive faces and lots of expressive movements. It's really good stuff. (I also like how often a character's facial expression on their model actually matches up with the one on their character portrait--it happens reasonably often and it's a real nice touch.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ah yeah it's at level 4 or something now and still seems like a net negative.... I like the little sidequests associated with it though so I'm going through it.
You can absolutely stay in the dungeon at that level, provided you're not avoiding most/all enemies. I'd still stock up on TaP Soda when given the chance because that'll be cheaper per SP than the fox up until like level 9, but you should be fine to just stay in there forever.

• Locked thread