Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

Well I had a look at the boxster and it was a good bit rougher than expected. Current own is 4th and he has no records besides names of shops where it's been serviced. Rotors were warped and it have an aftermarket exhaust which wasn't too terrible. I'd been keen on a cleaner one, though.

At least it was a clear decision. Going to check out that Cayenne next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Yea hopefully the manual one as well as the S.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

willroc7 posted:

Well I had a look at the boxster and it was a good bit rougher than expected. Current own is 4th and he has no records besides names of shops where it's been serviced. Rotors were warped and it have an aftermarket exhaust which wasn't too terrible. I'd been keen on a cleaner one, though.

Lemme know if you'd be interested in my 2004. Salvage but pretty clean. I'll need to dump it if I get that 944.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Lemme know if you'd be interested in my 2004. Salvage but pretty clean. I'll need to dump it if I get that 944.

With the luck your buyers have? :D

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So uh... Yeah :gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbpWozx2A6A

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Re that LS 944 -- texted with the guy. Missed the fact that it had a roll cage!
The dash integration leaves a lot to be desired (dead speedo, aftermarket tach, oil pressure, fuel) and he took the wipers off. Just a bit too much of a project (at 15k anyways) to entice me, I think.

willroc7 posted:

With the luck your buyers have? :D
Every time I fire it up, I wonder "is this the day the motor will poo poo itself? Does engine failure have a plan?"

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I rode in one of these a few years back with my instructor at Putnam Park. Holy poo poo that was a good time. That was my first experience being in a Porsche. :getin:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Re that LS 944 -- texted with the guy. Missed the fact that it had a roll cage!
The dash integration leaves a lot to be desired (dead speedo, aftermarket tach, oil pressure, fuel) and he took the wipers off. Just a bit too much of a project (at 15k anyways) to entice me, I think.

Every time I fire it up, I wonder "is this the day the motor will poo poo itself? Does engine failure have a plan?"

That's pretty far beyond a street ready car. Maybe he'll find the perfect track buyer or more likely it'll be on CL for the next year like the yellow LQ9 one near me.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

I find your lack of faith in superior German engineering disturbing.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Hi Guys,

Semi-recent lurker, first time poster.

Like many of you it seems, I fell in love with the 944 when I was 16 and have wanted one ever since. I kind of want something that's a project/restoration/learning experience. I have basically no experience loving around with cars but obviously would like to learn. I've often seen and heard the best way to get to know cars is to take one apart completely and put it back together. Would a 944 be the wrong type of car to learn on, as opposed to something american?

I guess ignoring paint and aesthetics, is this a good deal/idea for something to try this with?

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/6105890873.html

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I've often seen and heard the best way to get to know cars is to take one apart completely and put it back together.

I think the go to starter car is a VW bug. I also recommend a straight 6 engine truck.

I also don't recommend taking a car apart as fun. If you insist label and store everything in groups with pictures.

It is way easier to fix a non running car with good paint then the other way around.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Hi Guys,

Like many of you it seems, I fell in love with the 944 when I was 16 and have wanted one ever since. I kind of want something that's a project/restoration/learning experience. I have basically no experience loving around with cars but obviously would like to learn. I've often seen and heard the best way to get to know cars is to take one apart completely and put it back together. Would a 944 be the wrong type of car to learn on, as opposed to something american?

I guess ignoring paint and aesthetics, is this a good deal/idea for something to try this with?

Sadly that car looks like rear end and would never be worth the time you put into it if you want it to be decent. There's nothing particularly terrible about starting with a 944 but getting a decent one for 4-5k would be vastly cheaper and more satisfying than that one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Hi Guys,

That's my old car. I'm out. Well try to get you deets when I get back.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Hi Guys,

This car was very mechanically sound when I sold it, with no rust. I think the seller is a goon?
Re driver's door lock... I can't remember where I left that. I took the handle off to try to see what was going on with the lock tumbler, but can't remember what the issue was. I'll try to find my posts here about that.

It looks way more reasonably matte in person, but understandable if it's not to your taste.
The gas gauge had stopped working for me by the time I'd sold it, but maybe it comes on in spurts.
It sounded mean without a cat, but might still be good with the cat on.

There were two leaks iirc. The hatch one hopefully is taken care of with that new seal. There was another that pooled water in the passenger footwell, I think? I didn't figure out where it came from. Best guesses are the sunroof (manually removed) or the passenger door.

It had the typical crank position sensor harness looseness issue. Per Motronic (the poster), I ziptied the hell out of the joined plugs onto the bracket, and it mostly went away. But there was the rare time the car wouldn't start and you would have to go wiggle the harness to get the thing to fire up.

I loved that car. At $1500, I'd probably get back into it. You'd be hoping that you can work through the small things one by one while enjoy an old sports car. If you've never parallel parked a manual steering car, boy are you in for a treat.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jymmybob posted:

It affects every watercooled N/A flat 6 up until 2009 on 911s, think it's similar with Caymans and Boxsters. 96-99 had dual row bearings with roughly <1% failures, followed by single rows taking over through 00-05 with maybe 5-10% failure rate and a new design taking over in 06 with a very low rate but cannot be retrofit into the roughly 0% failure rate aftermarket kits, mostly by LNE. By this point a huge amount of cars have been retrofit because it's not hard to do when the clutch is messed with and the $1-2000 cost on most of these cars is trivial compared to the risk. There's a bunch of sub-rules but that's the main bit. The most important exception is that some people have been known to sell cars when they had the retrofit done and found bearing damage already shedding metal into the engine so you'll want to have either the original bearing installed so you can do it yourself, have the original bearing in hand as proof, had it done a loooong time ago with paperwork proof, or have it done at a certified shop by LNE who are not allowed to retrofit damaged engines. There's also a couple retrofits including a couple LNE ones that are considered wear items with stated lifespans that people don't pay attention to.
Thanks! That sucks as I don't think I'd be buying a >2009 anything any time soon, but yeah 1-2k is not a big deal compared to a blown motor. I might seriously consider this if I do get a promotion soon that I'm well overdue for :)

However I came across this TCO overview for a newer Cayman which is kind of scary in comparison. Is $3.5 grand per year for repair and maintenance reasonable based on y'all experience? I know I've been spoiled by miata's $50/yr maintenance but that's still kind of steep unless they're going by stealership prices. https://www.edmunds.com/porsche/cayman/2014/cost-to-own/

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Hi Guys,

It doesn't look that bad. Kinda rough but for the price and work done I think it's pretty reasonable. I mean, newer clutch, good tires and battery - hard to beat at that price. I'm kinda looking for the same thing, for around the same price. Still trying to determine if I want an earlier one like that or a later one, though.

One thing to keep in mind is that the timing belt has a lifespan of about 30,000 miles or two years, and the older manually tensioned ones like that need to be retensioned about halfway through the interval. And there are special tools involved.

If that was near me I'd probably snag it.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

willroc7 posted:

And I've just discovered you can get a Cayenne in stick... and there is this one (http://tinyurl.com/lghgqyu) at a dealer in Akron. :shepspends:

I went and check this out last night. It was at the scuzziest corner buy here/pay here lot I've ever been at in my life, down to the stereotypical middle eastern owner and cruddy office permeated by cigarette smoke and god knows what else. The exterior and interior were surprisingly clean, save for what looked like a couple key jobs in the paint and some Cayenne S (?) decals on the doors. It was loud and raspy on startup, which made me think it has an aftermarket exhaust, but I don't know how these sound stock. When driving it sounded pretty haggard, which I guess might be due to an aftermarket exhaust? The e-brake was sticky and the exclamation point was lit up on the dash for god knows why. The owner rode along with me and seemed apprehensive about me driving it since it's a manual until he could tell I had working brain and left foot. He ended up taking a rather bizarre shine to me, saying, "I like how you look, are you Italian?" (I am a white guy from New Jersey.) He then complimented how smooth I was, both with the clutch and opening and closing the doors (??), which showed I clearly knew what I was doing. I'm willing to bet the cardan shaft needs to be done as I did notice a clunk coming from under/behind me when starting off. Tons of red flags but I'm still thinking about it because... manual Cayenne bro. What price would you guys pay for this if I really want to cause myself some pain and suffering?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

That's my old car. I'm out. Well try to get you deets when I get back.

Haha, I guess that's pretty much the only exception that would make that car a good buy :v:

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks! That sucks as I don't think I'd be buying a >2009 anything any time soon, but yeah 1-2k is not a big deal compared to a blown motor. I might seriously consider this if I do get a promotion soon that I'm well overdue for :)

However I came across this TCO overview for a newer Cayman which is kind of scary in comparison. Is $3.5 grand per year for repair and maintenance reasonable based on y'all experience? I know I've been spoiled by miata's $50/yr maintenance but that's still kind of steep unless they're going by stealership prices. https://www.edmunds.com/porsche/cayman/2014/cost-to-own/

I can't imagine it being over $1000 per year especially on a car that new unless you beat the poo poo out of it and even then it's a stretch. My wife's 16 Macan has almost 30,000 miles and other than 2 routine services that totaled less than 1500 at dealership prices it has required nothing. It's slightly newer than that Cayman but it's still a V6TT with a PDK so it can't be that far off. I could possibly see my 996TT needing that if I daily drove it but still that would still be the worst case.

willroc7 posted:

"I like how you look, are you Italian?"... He then complimented how smooth I was

I bet you could get quite the deal.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 5, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jymmybob posted:

I bet you could get quite the deal.

What you save in dollars you lose in dignity.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Well that certainly ain't worth poo poo. Jymmybob do you have a cable thingy that would reveal what the ominous ! on the dash was hiding? Doing anything tomorrow morning? I can't stop thinking about the drat 6 speed in a Cayenne even if it's a shitpile. I want it. :getin:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Go for it! At that price, wouldn't you be able to part it out for a profit in the worst case?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I haven't a clue.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

This car was very mechanically sound when I sold it, with no rust. I think the seller is a goon?
Re driver's door lock... I can't remember where I left that. I took the handle off to try to see what was going on with the lock tumbler, but can't remember what the issue was. I'll try to find my posts here about that.

It looks way more reasonably matte in person, but understandable if it's not to your taste.
The gas gauge had stopped working for me by the time I'd sold it, but maybe it comes on in spurts.
It sounded mean without a cat, but might still be good with the cat on.

There were two leaks iirc. The hatch one hopefully is taken care of with that new seal. There was another that pooled water in the passenger footwell, I think? I didn't figure out where it came from. Best guesses are the sunroof (manually removed) or the passenger door.

It had the typical crank position sensor harness looseness issue. Per Motronic (the poster), I ziptied the hell out of the joined plugs onto the bracket, and it mostly went away. But there was the rare time the car wouldn't start and you would have to go wiggle the harness to get the thing to fire up.

I loved that car. At $1500, I'd probably get back into it. You'd be hoping that you can work through the small things one by one while enjoy an old sports car. If you've never parallel parked a manual steering car, boy are you in for a treat.

What a small strange world haha. Thanks a ton for that info. I'll let you know if anything comes up with it

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

Well that certainly ain't worth poo poo. Jymmybob do you have a cable thingy that would reveal what the ominous ! on the dash was hiding? Doing anything tomorrow morning? I can't stop thinking about the drat 6 speed in a Cayenne even if it's a shitpile. I want it. :getin:

I wish, I'm tied up both days and my durametric is at work with the 968 but I can swing during the week probably, especially in working hours. Since you're a VW/Audi guy do you have a vagcom? They're supposed to be reasonably capable with Cayennes.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Jymmybob posted:

I wish, I'm tied up both days and my durametric is at work with the 968 but I can swing during the week probably, especially in working hours. Since you're a VW/Audi guy do you have a vagcom? They're supposed to be reasonably capable with Cayennes.

Ah yes, yes I do.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

Ah yes, yes I do.

:getin:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
pssst willroc7

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/6125374291.html

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I seen it. I do like me some Zanzibar. However, my wife is more amenable to the 6MT Cayenne idea. She had a dream about it last night. :fap:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

- a spot of fogging on colder nights even with air off
- huge blast of fog on initial defrost and then difficulty in clearing the fog
- bits of foam and weird medicinal smell

Signs of busted heater core?

Ps. Re that primer 944 --
when I lent Muffinpox my Z06 for an autocross, people asked, wow your friend lets you drive that?
He quipped, "his daily driver is a Porsche." That 944.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

- a spot of fogging on colder nights even with air off
- huge blast of fog on initial defrost and then difficulty in clearing the fog
- bits of foam and weird medicinal smell

Signs of busted heater core?

Ps. Re that primer 944 --
when I lent Muffinpox my Z06 for an autocross, people asked, wow your friend lets you drive that?
He quipped, "his daily driver is a Porsche." That 944.

Sounds like a case of driving with the top up :colbert:

willroc7 posted:

I seen it. I do like me some Zanzibar. However, my wife is more amenable to the 6MT Cayenne idea. She had a dream about it last night. :fap:

I figured you would have bought the cayenne by now if it was a go. When are you going back to check it out?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Time is tight but hopefully soon. Steinel's will inspect it for $225 which has me balking just a bit. If it were a private owner car I'd be all over it but the dealer it's at is just one giant red flag.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

Time is tight but hopefully soon. Steinel's will inspect it for $225 which has me balking just a bit. If it were a private owner car I'd be all over it but the dealer it's at is just one giant red flag.

That's what I paid for the 911 I didn't get and isn't too bad. I got completely screwed by the dealer on the turbo I ended up with because there weren't any shops within range that could do it in a reasonable timeframe. They charged $550 for a lovely pre-owned type report that didn't even have any codes or DME readout but it was still better than nothing at all, even for the price. There's also Layland Motors in North Canton that's an LN Engineering preferred installer. I'm trying to decide which will be doing service on the 996TT because Layland is considered a great shop especially for 996s and 997s and Steinels is just a great shop overall.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Maybe I'll go on Saturday and give it a simple scan before throwing $225 at it.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I did a quick search on the Austin Craigslist for Porsche and there are some really good looking 944's out here if anyone was still interested.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Interesting, though I think I need some oomph in my life: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-914-8/

bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-porsche-911-carrera-5/
Apparently 1985 still has rust behind the headlamps? A few other niggling issues.
I'm curious if the huge mileage and lack of preventative rebuild is going to hurt more than that color scheme will help.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
paging willroc7 https://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/6132823828.html

a good idea, what could go wrong

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I'd rather have a stick V6 than an auto turbo.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

I'd rather have a stick V6 than an auto turbo.

Buy both and swap :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I had a guy in a turbo diesel bro truck try to race me yesterday as we were turning onto the highway. I thought he was kidding and fooling around until I saw he was really pushing his :coal: truck. Even Mrs. Slidebite said "was that guy in that yellow truck actually trying to race a Porsche?" :what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm giving serious consideration to this. The guy bought it at a police auction.