Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

I think I would like Tales games more if I could turn off voices in battles specifically. I wanna hear the battle music, not wall-to-wall attack name shouts. :smith:

wtf is wrong with you that's the best part

DEMON FANG DEMON FANG SHINING DRAGON SWARM!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My favorite will always be Rita w/ Overdrive in Tales of Vesperia. "Blahblahblah, TIDAL WAVE!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I liked in the PS1/PS2 era where they'd cheap out on voice acting by taking story dialogue and cutting it apart to turn it into combat yells and victory quotes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the generic battle music in tales usually isn't really anything to write home about so it's not like you're missing anything

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I haven't seen a "persona isn't actually anime" discussion in the wild before but good job everyone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

an actual dog posted:

I haven't seen a "persona isn't actually anime" discussion in the wild before but good job everyone.

Wait, who said that? Because it's super anime. It's just that its visual style is able to look anime without being ugly or plastic, like recent Star Ocean games have been, or Xenoblade Chronicles X.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Colonel posted:

the generic battle music in tales usually isn't really anything to write home about so it's not like you're missing anything

What is worth writing home about, honestly.

Dear mom, hope everything is well with you and the family. How are the cats doing? Just got a promotion at work, tell you more about it when I come down for Thanksgiving. Oh by the way, there's this video game I'm playing and I have to say, the generic battle music is amazing. Well anyway, things are very busy around here as usual. Talk to you soon, love you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea posted:

What is worth writing home about, honestly.

Dear mom, hope everything is well with you and the family. How are the cats doing? Just got a promotion at work, tell you more about it when I come down for Thanksgiving. Oh by the way, there's this video game I'm playing and I have to say, the generic battle music is amazing. Well anyway, things are very busy around here as usual. Talk to you soon, love you.

i mean, the generic battle music in tales of legendia is amazing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Harrow posted:

Wait, who said that? Because it's super anime. It's just that its visual style is able to look anime without being ugly or plastic, like recent Star Ocean games have been, or Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Any 3D game that goes for an anime style without using cel shading is just going to look abominable. It doesn't work.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Harrow posted:

I suspect either would work, though I think most people are going for the former right now.

yeah i'd go with the former.

biggest "i'm sorry i let people talk me into wasting my time on this"
undertale

my opinion of it is as negative as my opinion about mother 3 is positive

biggest "i'm sorry i spent money on this"
tales of zestiria

but at least i got tales of symphonia for free out of it

biggest "i'm sorry i wasted my friends' time by buying this for us to play"
tie: unepic, magicite

two games in two largely different genres that share the same problems of imprecise platforming, terrible controls, and an unforgiving learning curve that makes you suffer just to be a dick

Lakbay posted:

wtf is wrong with you that's the best part

DEMON FANG DEMON FANG SHINING DRAGON SWARM!!!!

it was better when special attacks were, y'know, special. i get that mp (tp) management is lovely, put the things on cooldown or make your magic regen fast based on how long it's been since you used a skill + the number of regular hits you've done in the meantime. when every single attack in the game has a callout, it loses its charm :geno:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't have that many goongrets. I usually don't end up outright disliking all that many games (it's honestly mystifying to me how many goons just seem to hate everything or even generally have nothing to play when there's so much out) and really I'm usually the one recommending the game everyone else seems to not like. The only game goons swear by that I recall really not liking was Shadow of Mordor but that was hyped everywhere and me disliking it had far more to do with it not being my type of game.

On another note, I wish I had played Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap back in the day because this new version is my first experience with it and while it's really good, it also has some extremely rough edges that some rose colored glasses would probably smooth over entirely but as is the jank is holding back the game from being great. It's a weird combo to have a game that does a complete gorgeous overhaul of all the graphics yet make it so the gameplay is mostly untouched. It creates this odd disconnect between how the game looks and how it plays. It's still a good game though

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

I think I would like Tales games more if I could turn off voices in battles specifically. I wanna hear the battle music, not wall-to-wall attack name shouts. :smith:

I feel like you can actually do this but then I've also played a ton of Tales games and I'm sure at least one of them lets you do it and it's probably not whatever one you're playing now, just to spite any advice I could give.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Games that are not anime:
Persona
Any Kojima game
Hail to the Chimp

Anime games:
Kriss Kross: Make my Video
Urbz: Sims in the City
Dark Soul

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

an actual dog posted:

literally nobody is saying this. there's just a huge gulf in the quality of persona games versus the gross doll faces in things like XCX. Games like Fire Emblem do this, too--the art style is eons above other stuff.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Spoderman posted:

Games that are not anime:
Persona
Any Kojima game
Hail to the Chimp

Anime games:
Kriss Kross: Make my Video
Urbz: Sims in the City
Dark Soul

Not even listing the most anime games

https://twitter.com/PackBenPack/status/859129424645505024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lurdiak posted:

Any 3D game that goes for an anime style without using cel shading is just going to look abominable. It doesn't work.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

glam rock hamhock posted:

The only game goons swear by that I recall really not liking was Shadow of Mordor but that was hyped everywhere and me disliking it had far more to do with it not being my type of game.

i'm not sure what my problem was with shadow of mordor, i think it's the setting. i just can't get into lotr for whatever reason. the rest of the game was pretty cool aside from the whole thing where it's more effective and more cinematic to do finishers on orcs, so i never really got to see the rivalry system ramp up. it did feel a little bit budget coming off of ac:black flag, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Other games that translate anime style into 3D well include the two most recent 3D Zelda games, especially Breath of the Wild. Like Persona 5, it uses some pseudo-cel shading techniques, and as a result the characters look like they could be in an anime while also looking good in a 3D game.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, you're probably right. If not actual cel shading, then a style approaching that. Persona 5 isn't strictly cel shaded, but it uses a lot of those techniques so that the characters look like, well, anime characters instead of poorly-made plastic figures of anime characters.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'm saying it's not anime because I like it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

This one screenshot is so JRPG it hurts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:barf:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Isn't that crazy Guilty Gear game not cel shaded, but rather 3D models?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Star Ocean 2 was so cool and good, why'd the series have to dive so thoroughly off a cliff after that :negative:

Nate RFB posted:

Cel shading does use 3D models, but it uses flat colors and sharp shadows to make them look like they're animated in 2D.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the hosed up part is i don't even think star ocean 3 looks that bad and that's probably just because star ocean 4 is on a completely different level

star ocean, is a very bad series

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i'm not sure what my problem was with shadow of mordor, i think it's the setting. i just can't get into lotr for whatever reason. the rest of the game was pretty cool aside from the whole thing where it's more effective and more cinematic to do finishers on orcs, so i never really got to see the rivalry system ramp up. it did feel a little bit budget coming off of ac:black flag, too.

My biggest issue with SoM was the protagonist, just super boring and no personality to speak of. I don't know why they thought he was interesting enough to keep around for the sequel.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Persona is anime as gently caress but it also has care put into its writing and tries to create actual characters and is only like 10% embarrassing fan service rather than the more typical 90%. Things can be anime as gently caress and still be good but it requires a lot of actual care. Stein's Gate is essentially a harem dating game but they actually put care into the writing and characters so it's still actually good and the whole "harem anime" aspect sort of fades to the background and becomes unimportant. Hell, in that game I was really impressed that like two or three of the endings went to extreme lengths to make them make sense within the narrative if you really wanted to end up with a girl that narratively didn't make all that much sense.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nate RFB posted:

xrd uses 3d models but it uses a lot of camera and lighting tricks to make it look 2d and it looks really really great

Serf
May 5, 2011

I liked Star Ocean 2 and 3. 4 was bad and I didn't play 5.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mordja posted:

To be perfectly fair, Cinema Discusso is the last place you should be looking for movie recommendations.

That said, smdh if La Grande Illusion isn't in your top ten list of films. :smuggo:

If you like movies you should check out Blockbuster Video (forum and store)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you haven't played star ocean 5, imagine continuing to go on without having played star ocean 5 and i think you'll get basically the same experience as if you had played star ocean 5

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

I'm just not the type that likes loving around directionlessly in an open world all that much and from what I can tell that's where most of the awesome comes from in that game. I'm pretty sure I'd be fairly underwhelmed by Just Cause as well for similar reasons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

it was better when special attacks were, y'know, special. i get that mp (tp) management is lovely, put the things on cooldown or make your magic regen fast based on how long it's been since you used a skill + the number of regular hits you've done in the meantime. when every single attack in the game has a callout, it loses its charm :geno:

Yeah, save the callouts for the truly special attacks. The constant chatter just gets on my nerves while also making each individual "this is my super attack! ATTACK NAME!" callout less cool

Like I want to play Tales of Berseria but after watching a few videos I'm not sure I could put up with that cacophony for the duration of a full JRPG.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

smh if you don't want to hear "bird is the word!" or "sharing is caring" two dozen times in a battle.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Macarius Wrench posted:

Its not even that for me, the world's fine, I like the idea of multiple playthroughs, the overall artistic design is great, the genre mash up is amazing but to experience all that you need to slog through a combat system devoid of charm or finesse or even meaning. The game was more fun for me playing on easy and having the combat sections literally play themselves. There is barely an actual GAME in there.

The combat is great if you played on Hard where a single mistake kills you. Makes traversal feel really dangerous and exciting

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Healbot posted:

I'm saying it's not anime because I like it.

It's too late; The Anime is under your skin now

While we're on the subject of regretful game purchases and Anime- Star Ocean: End of Time was the first and last Star Ocean game I tried playing. I made it like 4 or 5 hours in and decided I hated it and stopped. Not too many games I can remember where I just went "haaaa, nope" and this was back in the day when I had no money and more time than I knew what to do with.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Real talk, probably my biggest goongret was the Vita Ridge Racer game. There was just way too much DLC, and the game felt more like a mobile game than a full fledged Ridge Racer. It didn't feel like a must-have Vita title to me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like the punishment for dying in Nier:A is too great for me to want to play on Hard.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Persona 5 is the best jrpg of all time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nate RFB posted:

I feel like the punishment for dying in Nier:A is too great for me to want to play on Hard.

Hard is way too hard, every enemy hit takes more than half your health. I can't imagine putting up with it for long enough to find upgrades to alleviate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm sorry I couldn't come up with a better word than goongret everyone

• Locked thread