Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

if tony parker had been the worst international player of all time, had single handedly ended basketballs popularity in europe to the point where its only legal to play it in america and a few other places he would still be a slam dunk hofer. the nba hof is insanely easy to get into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

harden's 3 point fouls rule and i hope they don't change the rules at all

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Tony has four rings and was the offensive engine of the premiere franchise of the 21st century so far. He's obviously in.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6AKrqv_Yq0

One of Tony Parker's craziest shots.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lockback posted:

Basketball reference has pretty good write ups on how they arrive at the numbers. How they should be used is different, Dokmo and I have done effort posts on them years ago, maybe I'll do one again this off season or something. But WS tries to capture everything using box score stats, does a reasonably good job offensively, defensively it awards you for being on a good defensive team and things like rebounds. This isn't awful, but people like defensive stats to rate man-defense almost exclusively and that is hard (and incomplete).

NP is pretty simple, it's your scoring efficiency times usage. It's an easy way to look at which volume guys are actually efficient in their offense.

PER is nice, but weights production pretty heavily, though it's scaled by season which is cool. Ortg measures efficiency. TS% is your scoring efficiency accounting for free throws and that 3pters count for 3.

Beyond that ask. Chances are if your not sure 15 other people here aren't either.

Ah so NP is an efficiency rating. I get why you subtract FGA, not sure why you take out FTAs though. Are FTs not considered efficient?

Thanks for the writeup.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I want basketball games to take 4 hours so I look forward to every single guard in the NBA figuring out how to do the Harden rip through

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

we're so hosed

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look at this man's disrespect.
https://streamable.com/g4f7t

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

G-Hawk posted:

harden's 3 point fouls rule and i hope they don't change the rules at all

It probably wouldn't matter since Harden seems to be a telepath who can mindfuck defenders into doing things they absolutely know they're not supposed to do, that they've been coached for weeks to avoid doing, that they've practiced avoiding in their practise sessions against whatever Harden-substitute they drafted from their D League roster, and yet when they see Harden on the court their knees get weak they start to sweat and they cannot help reaching out and doing the only thing a defender is not supposed to do, which has been a different thing they're not supposed to do in every season. Harden's been doing this his whole career and people think just changing the rules will stop him. It doesn't matter what is legal or not, as long as something is illegal he will force defenders to do it. He can't be stopped until players develop a mindfuck-blocking headband or something.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

Ah so NP is an efficiency rating. I get why you subtract FGA, not sure why you take out FTAs though. Are FTs not considered efficient?

Thanks for the writeup.

NP doesn't take FT's out, it punishes you for sucking at them because if you miss a shot when you get fouled it doesn't count as a FGA

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Harden seeking Taj's arms when they're idle and locking his arms through them and then shooting is not a basketball play. You might as well just grab a defender's hand and hit yourself with them to seek a flagrant.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

big boi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6AKrqv_Yq0

One of Tony Parker's craziest shots.

He also hit the go-ahead 3 pointer in Game 6, which was an awesome clutch shot that history has forgotten due to everything that happened in the ensuing 40 seconds

E: actually it wasn't a go-ahead 3, it was a tying 3, but he made a go-ahead floater after that. Basically scored 5 straight points to turn a deficit into a lead

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 4, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

NP doesn't take FT's out, it punishes you for sucking at them because if you miss a shot when you get fouled it doesn't count as a FGA

Being bad at math really puts me behind the 8 ball wiht respect to wanting to become good at understanding advanced metrics.

dokmo posted:

It probably wouldn't matter since Harden seems to be a telepath who can mindfuck defenders into doing things they absolutely know they're not supposed to do, that they've been coached for weeks to avoid doing, that they've practiced avoiding in their practise sessions against whatever Harden-substitute they drafted from their D League roster, and yet when they see Harden on the court their knees get weak they start to sweat and they cannot help reaching out and doing the only thing a defender is not supposed to do, which has been a different thing they're not supposed to do in every season. Harden's been doing this his whole career and people think just changing the rules will stop him. It doesn't matter what is legal or not, as long as something is illegal he will force defenders to do it. He can't be stopped until players develop a mindfuck-blocking headband or something.

The Spurs were super disciplined about that last night. Harden threw a fit after he tried his bullshit on Jonathan Simmons and Simmons was literally holding his hands together behind his back.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

i'm glad Harden is using his super powers to play basketball then because i'm sure otherwise he'd be a super villain

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ghost Dog posted:

if tony parker had been the worst international player of all time, had single handedly ended basketballs popularity in europe to the point where its only legal to play it in america and a few other places he would still be a slam dunk hofer. the nba hof is insanely easy to get into

[pushes glasses all of the way up my nose] It's not the NBA Hall of Fame.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
:(

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/860152719402840064

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

dokmo posted:

:lol: I agree with this and I love Harden for it

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
If Harden's bullshit is legal, then Draymond's kicks should be a foul on Steven Adams' nuts.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That Harden three point call posted earlier doesn't apply to Harden being supernaturally good at drawing fouls, because it wasn't Harden baiting Mills into reaching out and then launching into a hyper quick release and being hit by Mills's outreaching arms. There was just no foul at all and the refs called it anyway, and it was a stupid shot whose only purpose was to draw the foul, so it should have left Harden looking foolish.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Cool Buff Man posted:

[pushes glasses all of the way up my nose] It's not the NBA Hall of Fame.

how could this nuance have escaped me!!!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You gotta wonder what Tony decides to do here. 35 coming off major knee surgery is not a good place to be.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

If he and Ginobili both retire I believe that leaves a nice chunk of cap space for the Spurs 🤔

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

Today the NBA and Take-Two Interactive announced the 17 NBA teams that have agreed to participate in the inaugural NBA 2K league. The NBA teams that will let their virtual logos and jerseys appear in the esports league are:

Boston Celtics
Cleveland Cavaliers
Dallas Mavericks
Detroit Pistons
Golden State Warriors
Indiana Pacers
Memphis Grizzlies
Miami Heat
Milwaukee Bucks
New York Knicks
Orlando Magic
Philadelphia 76ers
Portland Trail Blazers
Sacramento Kings
Toronto Raptors
Utah Jazz
Washington Wizards

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ghost Dog posted:

how crafty it is or w/e has absolutely no relation to if its a good rule or a good way to call a game, bringing it up just leads to dumb circular arguments every single time.

Pretty much. It's about watchability, and calling fouls for stuff that doesn't look like it's against the Unspoken Spirit Of The Game isn't something the general audience enjoys, and the NBA has been generally responsive about that.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

illcendiary posted:

If he and Ginobili both retire I believe that leaves a nice chunk of cap space for the Spurs 🤔

They'd have around $20-25 million if Parker retires, they renounce Ginobili, Mills, and Simmons, and Gasol picks up his player option

Jota fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 4, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Raps fans, I think we should blow it up somewhat if this sweep happens. In fact, if we lose this series, which we will. This UFA crop is STRONG. I like him a lot but I say let Lowry walk.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 4, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

There is no reason the Timberwolves would have said no to this so that leads me to believe they were not asked.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

11 EC teams
6 WC teams

The teams that didn't do this seem dumb, to me. Not sure what there is to lose.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLCIBgXQ_b8
:discourse:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Maybe the Spurs could bring George Hill back? Would be an interesting full circle

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

chef... patty mills?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Ghost Dog posted:

i dont get what distinction is you are trying to make? cause he didnt cartwheel into the stands and out of the stadium and straight into outerspace selling his flop it doesnt count? he did that only to get free throws, like he does 10+ times a game. its a non play, it makes one of the best ways to defend a really good shooter like james harden illegal for no actual reason, and it makes the game nearly unwatachable. It also creates an insane double standard where shots involving a screen somehow have tons more protection than every single shot in the lane in the playoffs. That level of contact wouldn't be called 9 times out of 10 in the lane, so it makes one wonder why it would be for a shot behind a screen, and so consistently too. Harden gets that call anytime he wants it.

how crafty it is or w/e has absolutely no relation to if its a good rule or a good way to call a game, bringing it up just leads to dumb circular arguments every single time.

can we be best friends

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also I'm just ignoring all of this tony Parker retrospective cuz I refuse to acknowledge reality. It's cruel, he was doing so well, and we could've beaten those tricky rockets. Didn't happen man.
Not my shower room crying, circus shot sealing, wife stealing, hit rapper. He was my favorite part of the Big 3 to beat up but he was there in so many clutch moments and series for us.
You could almost say he was top of the game...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtI_YwVkbUk

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

EvanTH posted:

Pretty much. It's about watchability, and calling fouls for stuff that doesn't look like it's against the Unspoken Spirit Of The Game isn't something the general audience enjoys, and the NBA has been generally responsive about that.

Yeah, I tapped out of this series even before it started. There's a ton of awesome stuff on TV right now anyway.

That clip of the Spurs guy chasing Harden with his hands on his head and still got called for a foul was funny. Truly what the people want to see.

Here's another clip where he's fishing for another one:

Oh, but he's in their heads I guess.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The way US announcers pronounce 'Aussie' is super painful.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Holy lol the help defense from Harden

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Raps fans, I think we should blow it up somewhat if this sweep happens. In fact, if we lose this series, which we will. This UFA crop is STRONG. I like him a lot but I say let Lowry walk.

If they let Lowry walk and renounced Serge, Patrick Patterson and PJ Tucker they still wouldn't have room for a max contract

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I wish cap thing was more commonly known because I filter through a lot of Q+A and 90% of them are signings or trades that don't know what being capped out means. "What if Blake Griffin signed with the Thunder?" x200

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

zoux posted:

The Spurs were super disciplined about that last night. Harden threw a fit after he tried his bullshit on Jonathan Simmons and Simmons was literally holding his hands together behind his back.

Every defensive possession for the Spurs on their side of the court, you could see pop dancing with his hands in the air in the 'don't shoot' position, showing his players how to defend Harden. It was really great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
man, losing parker hurts

4x Champion
Finals MVP
6x All Star
4x All NBA Teams (3x 2nd, 1x 3rd)
Once led the league in points in the paint…as a point guard

the man has had a brilliant career. easily the least respected of the big three, he was just as integral to the spurs success over the last 15 years as anyone else. tony was the engine and had a brilliant game. he will be severely missed for the rest of these playoffs and potentially "from the spurs in general".

:france:

can a player still receive his contract money if he retires due to injury? i assume it would be amnestied or something for the team. but that way the player can get his and the team isn't too hampered.

• Locked thread