Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
It's possible that all of that will change. They've said the economy isn't fully implemented. But things definitely don't look good for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Barring the lovely new drop/upgrade system, does the loot finally make sense? One of my biggest complaints about the original game was that after finishing all the content that was in at launch I STILL had very little idea of how the gear system actually worked because it's so horribly tutorialized.

If you guys want the economy changed you should start making lots of threads on it. They may hear it and go, "Oh, you know what..."

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 4, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If you guys want the economy changed you should start making lots of threads on it. They may hear it and go, "Oh, you know what..."

Yeah, please god. The beta forum exists for a reason, be the change you want to see in The Secret World. Please.

Especially when we have people on there defending the death tax and the monetization choices.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 4, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Barring the lovely new drop/upgrade system, does the loot finally make sense? One of my biggest complaints about the original game was that after finishing all the content that was in at launch I STILL had very little idea of how the gear system actually worked because it's so horribly tutorialized.

The itemization is the exact same except for the upgrade mechanics. And the upgrade mechanics have replaced crafting.

Just like in TSW, there are three main item types that determine the stats (tank, dps, healer). Some items have secondary effects (20% chance to refund energy or 2% chance to reduce cooldowns, etc.) The upgrade system has multiple tiers:
Green: Level 1-20
Blue: Level 1-25
Purple: Level 1-30
???

Going up from one tier to the other either requires an upgrade kit (which you seem to only get one free one) or 2 maxed items of the same tier. I.e. Green -> Blue requires 2 Level 20 Green Items. It's like 250 xp for each item level and every item you feed it is 100 xp * a bonus for matching the items type (waist talisman = waist talisman) and maybe role (dps = dps)? The upgrade kits are probably a cash shop item so get ready for a severe grind or pay-to-win.

Really, they could solve most of the horrible currency poo poo by just bringing back random drops. Random item drops, mark drops, upgrade kits would allow you to have things to sell, let you more quickly upgrade items, and let you save upgrade kits. Without random drops literally everything is a time or money gated grind. There are lots of people complaining about it on the forums but the line they get right now is "the economy is not fully implemented."

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Holy poo poo that currency and itemization mechanic is literally exactly the same as a few Korean grinder MMOs. If they are getting inspiration from those get ready for a fun ride.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm looking for the beta forum now, is it somewhere in https://forums.thesecretworld.com/index.php ?

Or can I only access the Beta forum if I'm in the beta?

Edit: Or it's just threads? Like this one https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?98556-The-Secret-World-Legends/page109 ?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Between the death tax and the grind fest upgrade system I was half expecting to see "when you upgrade something there is an x% chance it will break unless you buy a reinforcement booster from the cash shop" mechanics stolen from KMMOs

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
For anyone skeptical about the reality of how bad the loot system is...

Most of the time you get a weapon or talisman upgrade item. Sometimes they are blue but usually not. These upgrade items just give xp though not the green to blue upgrade.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Holy gently caress, they seriously took the loot box mechanic to its most ridiculous level yet.

At least in Blizzard or Valve games they're almost always cosmetic fun boxes, not the poo poo you need to play the game (barring HS of course)...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
And my interest is dead.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Holy gently caress, they seriously took the loot box mechanic to its most ridiculous level yet.

At least in Blizzard or Valve games they're almost always cosmetic fun boxes, not the poo poo you need to play the game (barring HS of course)...

Pretty much. There's one you can unlock after every boss. 6 free keys a day. 100 marks per key after that. 100 isn't a lot but considering how many things cost marks and that you can currently only earn about 10k a day, it's incredibly stupid.

Tacos cost marks now too. As do potions and other consumables.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah, please god. The beta forum exists for a reason, be the change you want to see in The Secret World. Please.

Especially when we have people on there defending the death tax and the monetization choices.

Already on it trust me.

:justpost: might as well be my motto when referring to Funcom.

I already got pubbies on my side for making real money clothes actually account wide instead of account wide by gender because "code is hard"

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Oh my mistake, dungeon keys are 500 marks not 100. Lol.

Which means if you never die, never upgrade equipment, have all the sprints and weapons you want, don't need consumables then... you can get loot from 4 dungeons a day.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jesus, that all sounds completely awful, and is going to stifle it in the crib.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
drat you monkey's paw.

A good sounding combat revamp of a game I really like playing, along with making it less like an MMO

But then a bunch of unnecessary monetization changes, and terrible rear end lootboxes in a game without particularly interesting loot.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Colgate posted:

drat you monkey's paw.

A good sounding combat revamp of a game I really like playing, along with making it less like an MMO

But then a bunch of unnecessary monetization changes, and terrible rear end lootboxes in a game without particularly interesting loot.

Hopefully since it's in beta they just slapped on some numbers for the monetization stuff.. But it's not sounding good.

Also remember the game launches in SPRING 2017, so in a month or so...

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Now this feels like a Funcom game! Which is a bit of a shame too since it really did seem like they were starting to turn things around. I think the most disappointing things isnt the lovely business model, but that the combat improvements seem so half assed. I was really hoping the game was going to get ESO style combat.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Exmond posted:

Hopefully since it's in beta they just slapped on some numbers for the monetization stuff.. But it's not sounding good.

Also remember the game launches in SPRING 2017, so in a month or so...

I can't see it launching before July.
  • Egypt was just added.
  • Blood/Rifle (Warlock) was just added.
  • Three of the starting "classes" aren't available for testing yet
  • PvP isn't in.
  • Gadget upgrading isn't in.
  • None of the clothing system changes are in.
  • Most vendors still take PAX.
  • Solomon Island Story Quests (the new ones) still have placeholder images
  • Lots of parts of the game still reference old systems.
  • The UI isn't fully updated.
  • They just now started testing of the real money currency (but just exchanging for it no buying anything yet).
  • New membership bonuses aren't in (still has all the old language and bonuses).
  • Half the new vendors in Agartha do nothing.
  • Based on forums, tester pool is tiny (like 5K accounts in beta but probably less than 1000 active testers).

I could go on but in reality, this probably needs another 6 months in the oven. In Funcom fashion, it might get 2 at best and release a half-finished mess.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Now this feels like a Funcom game! Which is a bit of a shame too since it really did seem like they were starting to turn things around. I think the most disappointing things isnt the lovely business model, but that the combat improvements seem so half assed. I was really hoping the game was going to get ESO style combat.

The combat actually doesn't feel bad. It feels much better than the old combat and much more like ESO.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I plan to dive in for real this weekend but I have been looking through the forums. Apparently dungeon keys started out at 500 units of whatever and dropped to 100 recently. So before we start hitting all the :siren: maybe just assume numbers are literally thrown out and being altered by the phases of the moon?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Len posted:

I plan to dive in for real this weekend but I have been looking through the forums. Apparently dungeon keys started out at 500 units of whatever and dropped to 100 recently. So before we start hitting all the :siren: maybe just assume numbers are literally thrown out and being altered by the phases of the moon?

They are still 500 for one as of today when I took that screenshot.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Lawlicaust posted:

I can't see it launching before July.
  • Game needs work

I could go on but in reality, this probably needs another 6 months in the oven. In Funcom fashion, it might get 2 at best and release a half-finished mess.

The combat actually doesn't feel bad. It feels much better than the old combat and much more like ESO.

I agree with you and I have a feeling Funcom is going to rush it out. Even with Conan Exiles they need more cashflow.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lawlicaust posted:

They are still 500 for one as of today when I took that screenshot.

Weird. this thread is people saying 100

https://forums-tl.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?21884-Currency-for-dungeon-loot

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Yeah I have no idea why he thinks it is 100 because it definitely isn't:

From a few hours ago.

I tested it and it took the 500.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Maybe it depends on the drops/how many times you loot

Maybe it's all cartoon poo poo that will drive people away but sounds good to investors

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The new combat feels so good too. I'm praying they can fix this poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The new combat feels so good too. I'm praying they can fix this poo poo.

It will feel better once I get rid of this shotgun and get a blade or chaos back. I'm not used to ranged weapons and ultimately I'm not enjoying shotgun/hammer

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

It will feel better once I get rid of this shotgun and get a blade or chaos back. I'm not used to ranged weapons and ultimately I'm not enjoying shotgun/hammer

Oh true, I can imagine not having your weapons of choice available at first can be iffy at best. It's a big difference from the original TSW shtick.

I do like the new dream like opening, showing a tiny bit of the different areas with the original monologue occasionally playing. The tutorial npc VA sucks, surprisingly from TSW.

E: screw it, someone might want to be surprised.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh true, I can imagine not having your weapons of choice available at first can be iffy at best. It's a big difference from the original TSW shtick.

I do like the new dream like opening, showing a tiny bit of the different areas with the original monologue occasionally playing. The tutorial npc VA sucks, surprisingly from TSW.

E: screw it, someone might want to be surprised.

It's iffy but doable. At least a shotgun is almost a blade. It isn't like they paired me with ele or ar. I'd be so incredibly lost.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The tutorial npc VA sucks, surprisingly from TSW.
They said on a stream that it's literally just someone from the office until they get an actor in. :v:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Pilchenstein posted:

They said on a stream that it's literally just someone from the office until they get an actor in. :v:

Oh drat, now I feel kind of bad for being harsh.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh drat, now I feel kind of bad for being harsh.

The best something is forged in the hottest stuff or something. I don't know, the lootbox/economy news has just suuuuuuuper killed my excitement for this relaunch.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Yeah that economy issue would scare me off of the relaunch if it happened that way, and I have played with the Horrible Chinagame.exe Crew where the safest method of subscribing to an MMO was with literal Subway Restaurant gift cards.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I'll keep checking in on it to see if they make any major changes but I'm not super enthused to play much more of the beta now. Once you get to BM+ things get very slow and very grindy.

I got a few items to blue so here's more on itemization.

• You don't get items in every slot until Egypt.
  • You start with only belt/neck/weapons in Kingsmouth and by the end of KM you have head talismans. You get occult in Savage Coast, one of the other side ones (bracer maybe) in BM. The rest aren't until Egypt.
  • You can only upgrade weapons with weapons and talismans with talismans. Using the same type (AD neck, rifle, etc.) grants bonus xp.
  • When you quality level up (Green -> Blue), the xp required per level and Pax cost increases.
  • There are qualities within Greend, Blue, etc that determine how high the base stats of the item are (Faded, Luminous, Radiant for Talismans and Mk I, Mk II, Mk III for weapons).
  • When you get an item to max level (20 for green, 25 for blue, etc) you can then upgrade it with a broken item (which you see to have a chance to get every time you level an item to 20) or with another level 20 of the same time. If you use another level 20, it costs 1K marks (yay another mark sink).
  • Glyphs and Signets have levels too...hooray...

Basically, it's a terrible f2p mobile game/Korean MMO treadmill. Most of the revamp seems designed to make the game as much of a cash grab as possible which is disappointing because the quality of life changes are great and the new combat is really fun.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jesus, that sounds FlyFF levels of bad.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Whoever mentioned gpotato earlier is pretty much spot on

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Jesus gently caress. I would prefer actual subscription over this crap. The worst part is that some gaming jornos seem interested in the reboot and favorably disposed so far. If they release with this system it will be shat on by both players and jornos on day 1 and the game will die faster than we can blink.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah, rip

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

This is why we get subpar experiences

quote:

[Global] [AWOL]: you don't have to pay cash for dugeon loot though. you just do some challenges and there's the currency
[Global] [GoodBillMurray]: the same currency that buys sprints and weapons and how many other things
[Global] [AWOL]: and then sell stuff on the AH and get more of the currency
[Global] [AWOL]: though you buy weapons once, buy sprints once, so after you've bought them, then go run dungeons

Edit: Now they're saying just make new accounts that way you can switch accounts, play an alt, and send your main their fun points.

Len fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 5, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Isn't that poo poo that is HEAVILY discouraged in any other MMO, sometimes even by the EULA? Or am I just a :tinfoil: rear end in a top hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I mean, yeah it's beta and they're still experimenting with stuff. It might be okay in the end.

But realistically, even if we ignore Funcom being Funcom: Not realizing what a terrible idea this F2P phone game freemium design is and letting even a single iteration of it onto their beta server shows how clueless they really are :(

• Locked thread