Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

DirtyRobot posted:

This isn't rules-related, but my biggest fear about the potential new bigmarines is that instead of just being bigger space marines, they will be an awful and weird mix of the 40k Roboute Guilliman model and AOS Sigmarines.

Mostly this stems from the fact that I can't get over how bad the 40k Roboute model is relative to the 30k Roboute model.

The 40k Guilliman model is great because the design of it screams taking the regular Jes Goodwin marine to a designer and saying "okay, but make it cooler" with no direction every time they come back with a revision and repeating like 7 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

This is good and important. But we also need Kharn as a one man kill team.
Oh, hell yes.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

They're doing a preview of the new terrain kit on twitch right now. Apparently the crane kit comes with extra bits to turn the cargo containers into a train

That's.... awesome?

Like enough bits in one kit to make how many train cars?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Artum posted:

The 40k Guilliman model is great because the design of it screams taking the regular Jes Goodwin marine to a designer and saying "okay, but make it cooler" with no direction every time they come back with a revision and repeating like 7 times.

Like it or not, you can't claim that armour has no direction. In the fluff it is a suit built by Arch Magos Cawl as both life support and combat armour. In the physical model you can read definite and clear design language from the Ad Mech range, blended with elements of traditional power armour styles to convey this. That is why it is so atypical. It's a fusion of two styles. I honestly think it was quite cleverly handled as opposed to just making a bigly suit of MkVII or whatever.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Can I trust you?
Of course, this is new Games Workshop!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

That's.... awesome?

Like enough bits in one kit to make how many train cars?

Good question. They only assembled one, and you'd also need the shipping containers kit. I suspect one, but the tractor and crane clip together as well, so what they showed was at least 3 cars long

lol that is some unfortunate wording

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
From Jervis on Twitch today:

quote:

- V8 was made broad and flexible (3 way of playing)
-Easy to play and start is a focus.
-Games are like a garden : tend to overgrowth and you need to « prune » it at some point. v8 is a good opportunity to do it.
-They learned from the past, enjoying playing the game is what they want.
-Games should be easy to tackle (easy to play hard to master?)
-They made all the armies at the same time so they have a good idea of mechanisms as a whole.
-The first International grand tournaments was JJ asking the studio managers money to organise it, so he could talk about the game with very invested players.
-JJ Love the way GW interact with us now, using the new media
-JJ loved american Football and wanted to mix it with warhammer.
-Favorite rules : Turn over rule in bloodbowl (3ed), his first game with conscious experience on game design. Invented in the bath ^^
-JJ vision of faction is skewed by his job. So he's always thinking is this right or ok ?. Exception is Bloodbowl he's back to be a coach now and enjoy the game.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

Good question. They only assembled one, and you'd also need the shipping containers kit. I suspect one, but the tractor and crane clip together as well, so what they showed was at least 3 cars long

TKIY posted:

drat it, I missed it again. Any idea of how long it takes them to post to the Past Videos section?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, that sure is the definition of a non-answer.

Also, I seriously hope the starter release won't be Dark Vengeance 2.0. I looked that set up and yeesh.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Dark Vengeance was an awesome box. Assuming you aren't racist against Dark Angels it's the best starter they've done in ages.

But no, the next starter is almost certainly vanilla marines vs Nurgle plague marines.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Here's the tactical, paint scheme done. Still gotta add transfers to him and drybrush the base, but overall I'm really happy with it. I included a shot of the terminator for comparison.

Also, fun fact - Martian Ironearth and Martian Ironcrust are not the same thing.

and the terminator

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I like it. The red definitely draws the eye, but the metallic grey looks great.

In other news, GW customer support just gave me my codex voucher despite my proof of purchase being my store manager confirming that I bought the codex, so that is pretty cool of them.

I immediately spent it on a Deathleaper. Worse comes to worse, they don't give the Lictor Shadow War rules and I just have a cool model to paint. I'm still tempted to repose it though.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
That's a cool marine. All chainswords should have hazard stripes on them tbh

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Dark Vengeance was an awesome box. Assuming you aren't racist against Dark Angels it's the best starter they've done in ages.

But no, the next starter is almost certainly vanilla marines vs Nurgle plague marines.

I'm more racist against heavily imbalanced force comps as a newcomer's intro, really. The models for DV themselves actually look pretty kickass.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FiestaNinja posted:

That's a cool marine. All chainswords should have hazard stripes on them tbh

A warning for everyone - the person you're cutting apart with it, the person wielding it, everyone.

I want to do some Mk. III Assault marines and plan on all their chainswords being hazard striped.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

What are you using for the base metallic grey?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Thundercloud posted:

In model terms it's a great box.

Mechanicus Techpriest - awesome model with lots of character. It's also the last handsculpted model produced by GW.
Skitarii - 10 infantry - great models, will make a good Shadow War force, lots of character, paint up well.
Crab tank thing - you will probably want to either magnetise the weapons or not assemble it till after 8th drops. But that is like a month from now.

drat, that's good to know. I might have to pick up a box this weekend and start painting, nicely coincides with me getting more time off in flight school!

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
The apocalypse is truly upon us

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

:discourse:

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
So I just bought a Necrons starter kit with 12 warriors, 1 lord, 3 swarms and one of those spider robots plus a codex. I haven't played anything Warhammer related for 10+ years, but just moved and want to get involved in the minature community here.
Is this a good time to start collecting and playing again?
Are necrons an alright force?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

What are you using for the base metallic grey?

Rattlecan Leadbelcher followed by 3 washes of Nuln Oil.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

So I just bought a Necrons starter kit with 12 warriors, 1 lord, 3 swarms and one of those spider robots plus a codex. I haven't played anything Warhammer related for 10+ years, but just moved and want to get involved in the minature community here.

Did the codex come with the kit? If not, you should see if you can get the codex returned for a voucher. A new edition is coming and current codexes aren't going to apply anymore.

The new rules sound real promising so far, so now could be a good time to start playing, but they should all hit by June. Assembling and painting your 'crons can probably keep you good on the collecting aspect until then, I'd say.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Sexy Spess Muhreens

That chainsword is :discourse:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
For now, I would just focus on building and painting. There is a new edition coming probably within a month, and it is changing everything. Neurons will probably still be good though.

You have until tomorrow to see if you can get a voucher for that codex. Email a pic of it, and the receipt as well as an explaination that you didn't know the new edition was coming to GW customer support. They are pretty cool, and you will probably get a voucher, but do it by tomorrow.

Natrapx
Jan 13, 2010

The x is for xenogamy

Being that there is a brand new edition coming out, in about 1-2 months with a complete reboot of all rules..... no-one knows! But Necrons are cool so you should be fine.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

jadebullet posted:

For now, I would just focus on building and painting. There is a new edition coming probably within a month, and it is changing everything. Neurons will probably still be good though.

You have until tomorrow to see if you can get a voucher for that codex. Email a pic of it, and the receipt as well as an explaination that you didn't know the new edition was coming to GW customer support. They are pretty cool, and you will probably get a voucher, but do it by tomorrow.

For reference, I've moved to Sweden, and I didn't buy it directly from Games Workshop, but rather a webshop that sells all kind of games. Still worth a shot?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

For reference, I've moved to Sweden, and I didn't buy it directly from Games Workshop, but rather a webshop that sells all kind of games. Still worth a shot?

If GW doesn't accept the receipt, then I'd write the webshop and explain the situation. At least one of those two would hopefully be able to help, especially if the book is still in good condition.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

Good stuff.

They also did an interview with someone from the terrain studio (these guys do all the dice, terrain, anything that isn't mans or books, basically). Here's what I remember from watching it:

GW terrain studio dude posted:

- They're working on doing more buildings and non-ruins terrain, "we wanted to show more of what the daily life of an Imperial citizen might look like"
- What terrain they make is based on what sells
- The Tau Tidewall Rampart sold really well
- They work with about an 18-month lead time
- They also do the terrain rules, but these are basically just written top-down, e.g. "what does this look like it should do"
- We can count on some more new Xenos terrain in the near future, but they couldn't say what (I asked about Necron/Tyranid specifically)
- The new Shadow War terrain was designed to be modular, but also have stuff you didn't need to glue in place, like the walkways and the ladders that can clip in

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Soulfucker posted:

I respectfully disagree with your point here. As S.J. points out, a competitive ruleset would be good because not only would it balance things out at the tournament scene, it would also help people who play casually like you and me by virtue of making it easier to balance army lists. I play Nids as well in my local meta and I also win games with them, however this isn't indicative of how good the army is as a whole (at least they aren't Orks).

I agree that the rules need to be more balanced to make the things easier to build balanced list. I disagree that you need to make a game "competitive" in order to have good rules for casual players. Take something like D&D, there is nothing competitive about that game and yet it is still a fun game to play with your friends. This game is really good for people like me who just want to play with their space barbies. I get to build them, paint them, make them their little doll house and play make believe with my friends. 40k is pretty much American Girl for man children, That is what this game has been good at for 20+ years.

The down side to designing your game with tournament competitive play is that it attracts a lot of people to the game that are not particularly good for the community. I AM NOT SAYING EVERYONE WHO PLAYS COMPETITIVE 40K IS AN rear end in a top hat. What I am saying is the only people I have meet playing 40k that give me the willies and I avoid at all cost are people who are extremely competitive, look to manipulate the rules to gain what ever advantage they can, and are mean, rude, and sometimes offensive to other players (this is not me mistaking poo poo talk as anything more, these people are jerks). I am sure most people have a story about "that guy" at their store who drives other people away, I would be willing to wager that guy is a competitive player. Let Magic or Infinity have those folks and focus on what you do well, Space Barbies.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zuul the Cat posted:

Do you apply black spray before the leadbelcher or does it also work as a primer?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
New terrain is A-Okay with me. I think GW terrain is actually pretty reasonably costed for what you get, especially with the level of modularity it offers. You can make some pretty crazy custom stuff out of it, and still keep the same look and feel as the standard kits.

Except the spikey bits, gently caress them.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GreenMarine posted:

Do you apply black spray before the leadbelcher or does it also work as a primer?

Nope, just straight leadbelcher right onto the plastic. I'm assuming it's a primer. I haven't had any problems with paint sticking.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Looks great!

p.s. I'm totally stealing your idea but going green instead of orange to make early Heresy traitor Dusk Raiders:

TKIY fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 4, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Broken Record Talk posted:

New terrain is A-Okay with me. I think GW terrain is actually pretty reasonably costed for what you get, especially with the level of modularity it offers. You can make some pretty crazy custom stuff out of it, and still keep the same look and feel as the standard kits.

Except the spikey bits, gently caress them.

Yeah the new Shadow War terrain is very solid, and outside of a couple of "meh" kits that I just wouldn't buy regardless of price, I agree that their terrain is reasonably-priced--especially the city stuff (not a fan of the cityfight table though--too busy). I also agree with

"gently caress the spikey bits" though. The spikes on the buttresses in the city terrain kits are loving needle-sharp

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I can't figure out how the same team that is making those cranes also made the Deathworld plant abominations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
My problem with the SWA terrain is that you just need so much of it for a 4x4 table. There's a photo showing two sets together, and there is so much open space on that table. Granted, the NM terrain wasn't table filling either, but I think it offered a bit more cover (and coverage.) Maybe it's the fact that it doesn't have as many levels, but it just feels lacking to me.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

I can't figure out how the same team that is making those cranes also made the Deathworld plant abominations.

Some of them are alright. I'm not wild about the needle plants but I like the mouth trees. I bought the set for BuffaloChicken as a gift because he has an eldar temple/deathworld table and I hate him and wanted him to have to agonize over where to store new terrain and I was also surprised at how *large* the kit was. Like even if you don't love the terrain itself, it comes with a shitload of it.

But yeah the Shadow war stuff blows it out of the water. I think the Deathworld stuff needed to be visually more like the old jungle sprues they made during 3rd edition--there aren't enough leaves on the trees in the kit.

berzerkmonkey posted:

My problem with the SWA terrain is that you just need so much of it for a 4x4 table. There's a photo showing two sets together, and there is so much open space on that table. Granted, the NM terrain wasn't table filling either, but I think it offered a bit more cover (and coverage.) Maybe it's the fact that it doesn't have as many levels, but it just feels lacking to me.

I agree with this too. I love the new kits but it takes a _lot_ to make a really solid table, especially if you want to create multiple levels. It's a hard problem to solve without spending a shitload of money or custom building stuff.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 4, 2017

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. This thread moves a lot faster than I am used to.
I emailed both the store and GW directly. Hopefully it is sorted one way or the other. :)

I'm assuming core troops stay more or less the same between editions, so spending the next months assembling the set, painting it and filling with more necron warriors if I run out of things to do would be safe until 8th edition is released?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. This thread moves a lot faster than I am used to.
I emailed both the store and GW directly. Hopefully it is sorted one way or the other. :)

I'm assuming core troops stay more or less the same between editions, so spending the next months assembling the set, painting it and filling with more necron warriors if I run out of things to do would be safe until 8th edition is released?

Yes, you should be fine with Necron Warriors.

• Locked thread