Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Azhais posted:

http://nesn.com/2017/05/this-espn-fantasy-football-scoring-change-could-greatly-affect-your-league/

ESPN is no longer going to count touchdowns given up by the offense against your DST.

:aaaaa: I've been pissed off about this for literally years

shaking with rage since 2013

e. They're still counting the ensuing PAT, lol yes it's the D/ST's fault if that PAT is made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Azhais posted:

http://nesn.com/2017/05/this-espn-fantasy-football-scoring-change-could-greatly-affect-your-league/

ESPN is no longer going to count touchdowns given up by the offense against your DST.

About time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

e. They're still counting the ensuing PAT, lol yes it's the D/ST's fault if that PAT is made.

At least the defense is actually on the field when it's scored.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RCarr posted:

At least the defense is actually on the field when it's scored.

Sure, and if they block it they should get credit. But if you lose a game because your D/ST gave up exactly enough points to hit the next scoring drop you won't be too happy about it.

I mean it actually doesn't affect me at all any more because I only play IDP leagues now. But it's funny that ESPN took this long to make the rule change, given I'm pretty sure all the others (NFL, Yahoo, maybe CBS) already did it right and have been for years.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Azhais posted:

gently caress yes.

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

Only took them laying off 100 people to finally figure it out

spanky69 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 4, 2017

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

spanky69 posted:

Only took them laying off 100 people to finally figure it out

Must have been one person in charge of it that kept it from happening. Now that he is gone the ff developers are going to make BIG CHANGES

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Leperflesh posted:

That's pretty standard and understandable imo, still took way too long for them to put this in. D/ST is for lightweights though IDP or bust so v:shobon:v

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Alright gentlemen:

Marcus Mariota
Jameis Winston

I kinda feel like Winston and Mariota could both end up in the top seven, if not the top six. I'm higher on Mariota because of his hot 8 game stretch last season throwing to Rishard Mathews and Tajae Sharpe (RIP). Corey Davis is better than both of them combined, and they got Taywan Taylor too.

Winston has all the weapons to succeed but he may not despite himself. I hate Winston's ball placement so much that I am biased against him vs. Mariota, but I can't deny the weapons they have now and Winston's ability to gunslang it is light years ahead of Mariota.

Winston would need to take a huge step forward to get up to Mariota levels of ball protection (Mariota's INT rate is 2.3% compared to Jameis' 3.0%).Mariota also has a higher TD rate, too (5.5% vs 4.5%). I think at this point Mariota is just the better player, but Winston has everything he needs to succeed.

Jameis has better raw yards and TD though.

They should both be interesting this year, I think.

My hot take is that Mariota ends up top-five at the position, with Brees and/or Ryan falling out of the top five.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Spoeank posted:

I think at this point Mariota is just the better player, but Winston has everything he needs to succeed.
I agree with this. I'd give the edge to Winston this year but believe Mariota is the better dynasty value. I just think TB did a great job acquiring additional weapons for Winston with D-Jax, Howard, and third round WR Chris Godwin added to the mix. So much funslinging, it'll be hard to resist. I want to see Mariota stay healthy too. Not that I see him as injury prone but the injuries have been an issue so far. drat if he isn't a future stud though. It's just a matter of time until he's one of the top QBs in the league. What I really want is infinite shares of Corey Davis right now. I'm excited to see what Mariota can do with a legit WR1.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Spoeank posted:

Alright gentlemen:

Marcus Mariota
Jameis Winston

I kinda feel like Winston and Mariota could both end up in the top seven, if not the top six. I'm higher on Mariota because of his hot 8 game stretch last season throwing to Rishard Mathews and Tajae Sharpe (RIP). Corey Davis is better than both of them combined, and they got Taywan Taylor too.

Winston has all the weapons to succeed but he may not despite himself. I hate Winston's ball placement so much that I am biased against him vs. Mariota, but I can't deny the weapons they have now and Winston's ability to gunslang it is light years ahead of Mariota.

Winston would need to take a huge step forward to get up to Mariota levels of ball protection (Mariota's INT rate is 2.3% compared to Jameis' 3.0%).Mariota also has a higher TD rate, too (5.5% vs 4.5%). I think at this point Mariota is just the better player, but Winston has everything he needs to succeed.

Jameis has better raw yards and TD though.

They should both be interesting this year, I think.

My hot take is that Mariota ends up top-five at the position, with Brees and/or Ryan falling out of the top five.

Ryan is a prime candidate to get overdrafted. I think losing Shanahan is going to cut down the offensive numbers in Atlanta across the board.

Mariota is my preferred prospect of the two, because he can just straight up dominate at times. I feel like his highs are higher than Winston's and his lows are higher too. He's an interesting combination of safer and more explosive.

EDIT: I decided to look and see if my feeling was right. So even though Winston beats out Mariota in yards, Mariota gained 7.6 yards per attempt, putting him in the top ten for quarterbacks. Winston averaged 7.2 YPA.

Moreover, despite throwing the ball 25% more times, Mariota had more big plays. 50 plays to 43 plays of 20+ yard passes and 7 plays compared to 4 plays of 40+ yard passes. That's an 11% chance to have a play of 20 yards or more, compared to 7.5%.

I haven't even looked over his rushing totals.

This just made me mad that I traded Mariota two years ago in my dynasty league for the corpse of Marshawn Lynch. :(

Sataere fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 8, 2017

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

Ryan is a prime candidate to get overdrafted. I think losing Shanahan is going to cut down the offensive numbers in Atlanta across the board.

Mariota is my preferred prospect of the two, because he can just straight up dominate at times. I feel like his highs are higher than Winston's and his lows are higher too. He's an interesting combination of safer and more explosive.

EDIT: I decided to look and see if my feeling was right. So even though Winston beats out Mariota in yards, Mariota gained 7.6 yards per attempt, putting him in the top ten for quarterbacks. Winston averaged 7.2 YPA.

Moreover, despite throwing the ball 25% more times, Mariota had more big plays. 50 plays to 43 plays of 20+ yard passes and 7 plays compared to 4 plays of 40+ yard passes. That's an 11% chance to have a play of 20 yards or more, compared to 7.5%.

I haven't even looked over his rushing totals.

This just made me mad that I traded Mariota two years ago in my dynasty league for the corpse of Marshawn Lynch. :(

I have to wonder a bit if Erotic Smashmouth will keep Mariota's counting stats low despite better rates. I'm not sure I'd expect much change this year, just because I don't think rookie WRs are going to change it all in year 1.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ben Nevis posted:

I have to wonder a bit if Erotic Smashmouth will keep Mariota's counting stats low despite better rates. I'm not sure I'd expect much change this year, just because I don't think rookie WRs are going to change it all in year 1.

I think he will be better this year, but not significantly better. I think in two to three years, he could realistically see top tier status.

I also think year two of Derrick Henry and Tajae Sharpe will help and I don't think we can assume rookie receivers just won't contribute right away anymore. The last few years have shown that the learning curve for these guys is significantly less steep than it was even five years ago.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

I think he will be better this year, but not significantly better. I think in two to three years, he could realistically see top tier status.

I also think year two of Derrick Henry and Tajae Sharpe will help and I don't think we can assume rookie receivers just won't contribute right away anymore. The last few years have shown that the learning curve for these guys is significantly less steep than it was even five years ago.

It's not that I don't think rookies will contribute, just that I'm not sure adding rookies is enough to overcome the 100+ attempt deficit he faces. At least not this year.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ben Nevis posted:

This is kinda where I am. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mariota is a legit QB1 who can win you a league with a good draft, but I would be really surprised if he ends up higher than like QB7 unless he does some crazy Cam stuff on the ground. The per attempt numbers will definitely be there, but I'm not so sure about the counting stats

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Teemu Pokemon posted:

This is kinda where I am. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mariota is a legit QB1 who can win you a league with a good draft, but I would be really surprised if he ends up higher than like QB7 unless he does some crazy Cam stuff on the ground. The per attempt numbers will definitely be there, but I'm not so sure about the counting stats

I think the nice thing about him is he was pretty consistent for most of last year. He is definitely one of the guys I am targeting in the middle rounds. I think the nice thing about the way Tennessee is built is they are making it easy for him to be successful.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

I think the nice thing about him is he was pretty consistent for most of last year. He is definitely one of the guys I am targeting in the middle rounds. I think the nice thing about the way Tennessee is built is they are making it easy for him to be successful.

I think that's somewhat true. He doesn't seem like a guy who's going to lose you any games. In general, I'd pick a 4k+ yard passer though, and I don't think that's Mariota this year.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If his ADP is low enough, Mariota can be this year's Carr insofar as he'll be by far the best 100+ ADP QB in the pool and if you take him late that could be a league winner

If he's going in the 8-9th or later, I'll definitely be targeting him and another guy (probably Tannehill because lol I can't quit you) and then hope he blows up.

I could see the hype train building up steam though, and if he's going in the top 75 picks, I'm gonna be a hard pass probably

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 9, 2017

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I think both Winston and Mariota will get a ton of hype coming into the season and their ADP will be priced closer to their ceiling, making them less a value.

Meanwhile, Andy Dalton, who has a Top 5 QB season in his history, and who had some surprisingly excellent seasons derailed by injury the last few years will be an underrated QB value this season. Bengals added some speed in John Ross, and a dynamic RB in Mixon to chase Jeremy Hill to the bench and challenge Gio for pass game work - plus AJG and Eifert. The only potential roadblock is a weakened O-line.

There's my too early QB hot take.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 9, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

If Winston and Mariota get bumped, that's gonna push other QBs down. The way I see it, you should be able to get great value on one of these guys

Rodgers
Brees
Brady
Luck
Roethlisburger
Rivers
Cousins
Carr
Wilson
Mariota
Winstron

poo poo, in a 12 man league, I am amped as gently caress to get any of those guys in the 7th or later

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I, too, would be amped as gently caress to get Aaron Rodgers in the 7th

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Ben Roethlisberger is a do not own for me. Misses 2-3 games per year, and absolutely atrocious road splits. I'll let someone else ride that name brand carousel this year.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Cervixalot posted:

Ben Roethlisberger is a do not own for me. Misses 2-3 games per year, and absolutely atrocious road splits. I'll let someone else ride that name brand carousel this year.

There are guys that are on my do not own list from there. I'm just saying QB is deep as gently caress.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
We're having our dynasty rookie draft real early this year(thus Sunday). Is there a good general rookie ranking that goes beyond the top 10-20 guys out yet? I don't have a pick until mid 2nd and I want to start getting my hopes up

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lol your league is stupid

A ton of rookies will wash out and not even be on a team by week 1. And a bunch will be injured. Why would you do a rookie draft in May?

I don't think you're gonna find a great rookie ranking thing. For dynasty I'd just assume the NFL teams did their homework and stick to dudes drafted in the first two rounds, or anyone who fell a lot solely due to an injury that you're sure they'll recover from. And of course avoid the draft picks made by the really lovely teams.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

A ton of rookies will wash out and not even be on a team by week 1. And a bunch will be injured. Why would you do a rookie draft in May?

I don't think you're gonna find a great rookie ranking thing. For dynasty I'd just assume the NFL teams did their homework and stick to dudes drafted in the first two rounds, or anyone who fell a lot solely due to an injury that you're sure they'll recover from. And of course avoid the draft picks made by the really lovely teams.

Leonard Fournette is off Leperflesh's board. :v:

EDIT: He is right, it's way too early for a rookie draft.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Some people originally wanted to have our rookie draft before the NFL draft when we were writing our rules. We have very deep benches so everyone has a whole bunch of roster trash and lottery tickets. It's fun but especially drafting is such a crapshoot

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Lol lotta bad advice. There's no better time for rookie drafts. Where is the fun in getting hyped up about UDFAs if you don't draft until they're already cut? If you stick to rookies taken in the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft, you're limiting yourself to 4 RBs and 5 WRs, and taking Gerald Everett and Adam Shaheen over any others (who? exactly!). Enjoy your 1 round dynasty draft.

Fantasy Pros has rookie rankings through 78, but includes IDP, so offense only is a bit less.https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/rookies.php

Plenty of other places have scouting reports on most of the offensive guys listed there too. "Name scouting report" in Google is all you need.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I had to argue long and hard in our dynasty to have the draft in late July (some wanted around now and a couple wanted pre-NFL draft) and also to make the drop date to get to the right number of players for the draft (with players dropped being draftable) not be the morning of the draft. There are crazies out there.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I guess I don't get it. Not much will change drastically except for fringe late round guys you'll likely cut anyway, and a handful of rookies whose teams sign a vet FA in the next couple months. No one likes devy leagues here??

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

May rookie drafts are fine, nerds

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Just draft Tarik Cohen for as many picks as you can.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ben Nevis posted:

Just draft Tarik Cohen for as many picks as you can.

If you touch him, I will cut you. :argh:

Spoeank posted:

May rookie drafts are fine, nerds

I'm not saying you have to wait until the preseason, but it's nice to get a couple of mini-camps in to sift through the later rounds.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

I'm not saying you have to wait until the preseason, but it's nice to get a couple of mini-camps in to sift through the later rounds.

It's just more information that everyone else gets too. You'll be sifting through the same garbage in the later rounds either way, as anyone that shines a little will move up the draft board.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I realized I made an unwarranted assumption.

In my dynasty league, we use FAAB and there is no way to get a player for free. And we have a salary cap and an annual spending limit on FAAB.

So if you load up on a bunch of lottery tickets in the rookie draft and then have to dump half of them in August, you're eating into your budget to replace them with more lottery tickets. Having to churn through rookies degrades your ability to manage your team during the regular season.

So we do our rookie draft shortly before week 1 kicks off, and that way nobody is wasting roster spots or FAAB dollars on dudes who are not going to make the final cut.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RVProfootballer posted:

It's just more information that everyone else gets too. You'll be sifting through the same garbage in the later rounds either way, as anyone that shines a little will move up the draft board.

I'm already sifting through it anyway, but some of my opponents won't. I always err on the side of more information.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Mariota is likely to do better, but Winston has a much higher floor due to volume, weapons, and system

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
<drops mic>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Ultimate Josh Gordon buy low today imo

dont do this

• Locked thread