Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

What on earth does the stuff on this whiteboard mean?

Context: I have a part-time job in the maths department of the local university, mostly organising and analysing the feedback from an outreach programme. The nearest toilet is out of order at the moment, so I have to go over to this different department to use theirs, and I keep seeing this through an open door opposite the toilet.

And I have no idea what any of this means. It'd be nice to know, though (for all I know, these are all perfectly cromulent words in some academic discipline or other)

If you're curious, the word opposite "Unbettering" that's hidden by the door frame is "Bettering". Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revolther
May 27, 2008
Your basic flow chart showing how to Improvulence your Yesness for maximum Itselfness.

That's some grade D Tony Robbins self-improvement course being developed by a nutjob to escape teaching at community college.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I figured something w/ so many made-up words would be easy to google, and I found a linkdin post about it (and another linkedin post by the same guy complaining that all his sincere essays get 2 views but posting a facebook meme got 10k) so there you go. You have a very uncreative jokester.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I figured something w/ so many made-up words would be easy to google, and I found a linkdin post about it (and another linkedin post by the same guy complaining that all his sincere essays get 2 views but posting a facebook meme got 10k) so there you go. You have a very uncreative jokester.
Thanks! In hindsight it makes total sense that it'd be a parody (I seem to get caught out by Poe's Law a lot).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I like that they couldn't betray their training and label a pentagon a hexagon.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Paul.Power posted:

Thanks! In hindsight it makes total sense that it'd be a parody (I seem to get caught out by Poe's Law a lot).

Honestly It's not too far off from earnest corporate team meeting mumbo jumbo

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Does anyone know the name of the short story about the old woman who listens to people at the park then they show disdain for her and she starts crying?

is this it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Brill

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Does anyone know what this type of light is called? I need a replacement.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
It's a bi-pin halogen bulb

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

When a grizzly bear looks at another stupid grizzly bear do they see as big of a difference as humans can see in other humans?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Ras Het posted:

It's a bi-pin halogen bulb

Thanks!

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

When a grizzly bear looks at another stupid grizzly bear do they see as big of a difference as humans can see in other humans?

With no mirrors or cameras, grizzly bears have no idea what they look like.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

When they look at other grizzly bears they can't tell it's one of them? How do they have children

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm looking for a new computer desk, but want something high-end, like Herman-Miller level. What brands should I be looking at?

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
Please tell me what you've learned from reading Animorphs books.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

When they look at other grizzly bears they can't tell it's one of them? How do they have children

This may help you: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/most-unbred-animals-engli/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

beeaar posted:

Teenagers with alien-granted shapeshifting powers can telepathically communicate with their peers in human form when they themselves are in animal form, right up until the folks ghostwriting for K. A. Applegate forgot their own canon and make the exact opposite into a plot point.

I was really mad about this when I was thirteen. :argh:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 4, 2017

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

beeaar posted:

A lot about what it might be like to eat cigarette butts.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
If you go to Vegas and make a bet on an event (like a big boxing match) and the event is canceled, do you get your money back?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is Spybot still the goto for checking for malware/adware? I have a feeling there some bad on one of my computers, but Spybot's website looks a lot more... commercial? than it used to with all its paid versions and anti virus stuff and its making me paranoid.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

Is Spybot still the goto for checking for malware/adware? I have a feeling there some bad on one of my computers, but Spybot's website looks a lot more... commercial? than it used to with all its paid versions and anti virus stuff and its making me paranoid.

Absolutely not. Hasn't been relevant for years.

MalwareBytes and ADWCleaner are pretty good for quick scans to see if you suspect something is there. If there is, you need to decided if a wipe and restore is the best option for you. Malware Bytes and turned into a full fledged "security" product, ADWCleaner is still the run-from-exe malware killer type.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 5, 2017

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I need to pick up 4 lbs of polystyrene beads (beanbag stuffing) to fill a novelty pillow I just acquired. Where's my best bet? Hobby shop? Walmart?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
fabric store

revolther
May 27, 2008
Amazon locker.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

revolther posted:

Amazon locker.

What's the advantage of Amazon locker over just having things shipped to your house? Is it faster or is it just there for people who get their packages stolen from their porch?

revolther
May 27, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What's the advantage of Amazon locker over just having things shipped to your house? Is it faster or is it just there for people who get their packages stolen from their porch?
Well they said they wanted to pick it up, so Amazon locker would let them have that pleasure.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Really just for people who don't want their stuff sitting out. Frequent travelers with nobody at home, students, etc. You can also do returns at them.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why is a guillotine blade angled?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Baron Porkface posted:

To keep it from pinching.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

For the same reason why you move a knife back and forth in a slicing motion when trying to cut something. Moving the blade in a lateral direction relative to what you're cutting results in an easier and cleaner cut. The angle on the guillotine's blade basically just simulates that motion as it drops downward. I think there have been some earlier trials with straight or crescent-shaped blades, and they occasionally had the problem where they just crushed the neck without a clean separation. The same principle is also why some swords are curved, for example.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Nevermind :)

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 5, 2017

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have them shipped to (near) hotels in other cities when I travel. The day they start putting them in airports is the best day of my life.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

How does sign language handle names? It doesn't seem to work by representing sounds and it would be crazy to have a sign for every possible name.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

I have them shipped to (near) hotels in other cities when I travel. The day they start putting them in airports is the best day of my life.

Are they more reliable than getting stuff shipped to your hotel? I have a friend who lives on the road and she is always losing stuff she tries to order ahead to her hotel.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr. Squishy posted:

How does sign language handle names? It doesn't seem to work by representing sounds and it would be crazy to have a sign for every possible name.

They just spell out the name if it's a normal one, especially when they're doing it in formal situations or meeting people for the first time. Sign language users will also often choose to use a nickname that's a word with its own sign as well though, or they might use one of the letter signs from their real name and then the sign for a trait they have, or a particular thing they like.

Like let's say you have a guy named Bob. When he introduces himself to other people he spells out B-O-B on his fingers, but if you're his friend he might ask you to refer to him as B + the sign for brown (because he has brown hair). Or perhaps he really likes to play football, you might just refer to him among people you know as the sign for football, or football plus the sign for B.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

fishmech posted:

They just spell out the name if it's a normal one, especially when they're doing it in formal situations or meeting people for the first time. Sign language users will also often choose to use a nickname that's a word with its own sign as well though, or they might use one of the letter signs from their real name and then the sign for a trait they have, or a particular thing they like.

Like let's say you have a guy named Bob. When he introduces himself to other people he spells out B-O-B on his fingers, but if you're his friend he might ask you to refer to him as B + the sign for brown (because he has brown hair). Or perhaps he really likes to play football, you might just refer to him among people you know as the sign for football, or football plus the sign for B.

There was a fascinating A/T thread about this not very long ago. I don't think it fell to archives yet. It's totally worth a read.

bongwizzard posted:

Are they more reliable than getting stuff shipped to your hotel? I have a friend who lives on the road and she is always losing stuff she tries to order ahead to her hotel.
More reliable (as in 100% reliable), but you are reliant on the nearest 7/11 being within walking distance, and reliant on that locker having space in it. They will not ship a package to the locker if there is not room for it.

It's also super handy for returns if your local 7/11 is closer than your local UPS drop box.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

More reliable (as in 100% reliable), but you are reliant on the nearest 7/11 being within walking distance, and reliant on that locker having space in it. They will not ship a package to the locker if there is not room for it.

It's also super handy for returns if your local 7/11 is closer than your local UPS drop box.

Interesting, can you see live what boxes have what room, or do you have to order first and then find out?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Interesting, can you see live what boxes have what room, or do you have to order first and then find out?
You select a location, and if theres no room, they won't let you order to it. You can then go locker by locker until you find one that has room. There is no way to do a "find the nearest locker with room"'; it's a bit rudimentary.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

You select a location, and if theres no room, they won't let you order to it. You can then go locker by locker until you find one that has room. There is no way to do a "find the nearest locker with room"'; it's a bit rudimentary.

got you, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
preface: I know nothing about flowers.

How do I make one rose bush into a bunch of rose bushes? Do roses drop rose seeds? I need the new plants to come from the original.