Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Bang Rodgeman just revealed on Dumbbells that he and Sean Clements have a new podcast coming soon. A parody of the Hollywood Masterclass type shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/seeso-nbc-comedy-streaming-service-in-question.html

Seeso seems to be in trouble

tl;dr: A niche start-up type company run under the umbrella of an enormous multi-national multi-billion corporation that ends things if they're not immediately successful in 3 months might be shuttered in the immediate future.

Honestly, I don't get why NBCUniversal didn't just replace the Esquire channel with Seeso when they shuttered. This board is 100% people who are the targeted audience of Seeso but how many of us actually subscribed after our 1 month codes expired? Us dang millennials don't want to add another monthly charge to our bills when we already have Netflix and Spotify and etc.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 3, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There was some stuff on there I wanted to watch but it's US only

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I signed up for SeeSo to watch the MBMBaM series (Which was very good) but I have barely watched anything else on it - primarily because it is a really lousy service. The video quality seems kind of lossy, and the audio is abysmal. A shame that NBCU is going to shutter it, though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
It kind of reminds me of the reports I heard from Howl users. Content is good, service is bad, app is sort of difficult to navigate. I guess maybe I'm too used to Netflix and Hulu's streamlining, but Seeso's menu system always seemed a bit obtuse for me.

So far, I've only used it to watch MBMBaM and Harmonquest, so I'll probably have to get around to watching Bajillion soon before the site goes away.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Maybe if they'd accepted my foreign money and let me watch Harmonquest and MBMBaM internationally they'd be in better shape.

:colbert:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
To be fair to them, I'm not sure how much of that is in their hands. They probably have the right to distribute their own content however they see fit, but because it had things like Kids in the Hall and Monty Python on it, they probably really had their hands tied as to what regions they could be available in without having different sites dedicated to different regions. Which why would they if they didn't know if it would succeed?

e: Not saying it's necessarily right, just that they're not necessarily purposefully being dicks.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
If the new season of Bajillion Dollar Properties doesn't get released because of this I'll be really sad :(. Tim Baltz's series Shrink was really good too, that last episode :aaaaa:.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I signed up for seeso, added the app to my amazon fire tv thing, watched one episode of mbmbam, then after that nothing else would load on their stupid app. Not even after reinstalling

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I watch and still sub to Seeso but only on my Fire TV. Shrink, Bajillion, My Brother, Harmonquest. I watched Cyanide and it was kinda bad. Take My Wife is in the que.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/seeso-nbc-comedy-streaming-service-in-question.html

Seeso seems to be in trouble

tl;dr: A niche start-up type company run under the umbrella of an enormous multi-national multi-billion corporation that ends things if they're not immediately successful in 3 months might be shuttered in the immediate future.

Honestly, I don't get why NBCUniversal didn't just replace the Esquire channel with Seeso when they shuttered. This board is 100% people who are the targeted audience of Seeso but how many of us actually subscribed after our 1 month codes expired? Us dang millennials don't want to add another monthly charge to our bills when we already have Netflix and Spotify and etc.

I paid for it even though their website and app sucked and I couldn't stream without stuttering. I did have to cancel and sign up through amazon to get it to work properly... I rarely watch anything on it so I probably should cancel it while I wait for the next season of Harmonquest. The rest of the content I've either already seen or it doesn't interest me, UCB show was hit or miss probably better live, MBMBaM was alright and I thought Shrink was good too but I'm a real Baltz-head.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Riptor posted:

I signed up for seeso, added the app to my amazon fire tv thing, watched one episode of mbmbam, then after that nothing else would load on their stupid app. Not even after reinstalling

The app is very bad, and the browser player isn't really much better. It took me way longer to get through Harmonquest than it should've because it just wouldn't play a few episodes when I tried the first time. I'd come back a few hours later to try again, and get an episode or 2 in before it decided to stop working again.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just use SeeSo on the Amazon prime app so it works great for me there. I'd be sad if it goes away though because I've been going through all the kids in the hall. I loved Harmon quest, and Bajillion is good too.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Shrink is really good and I hope it would somehow find a home elsewhere if Seeso folded

It really doesn't seem out of line with normal Amazon original programming

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I would cancel Netflix and get Seeso but its only available in the US. SUck my dick seeso!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Howl and Seeso being equivalent products is extremely accurate. However, Howl would have been a lot easier to avert the crisis by just making it a platform-agnostic premium stream service or spending more time on the app and hiring a company with a decent UX designer.

Streaming video is way harder, to the point where very very few companies do it well. Hell, HBO Go is horrible, and that not only has HBO behind it but also Major League Baseball's technology, which I've heard is best in class. But that doesn't stop HBO Go from constantly crashing and restarting, having the worst Chromecast support I've ever seen across both desktop and mobile, having problems with second monitors on desktop, and being generally super buggy and difficult to navigate.

That being said, I subscribed to both Howl and Seeso because I wanted the content. But then I was unemployed for a stretch and unsubscribed from all my streaming services. Out of all of them, Netflix and Spotify are the only ones I've bothered resubscribing to (the former only for MST3K). However, I did start Stitcher Premium, but only to check out new live eps and Gourley & Lund's new companion shows. Never going back to Seeso.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 4, 2017

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

A streaming service devoted to only one genre is always going to be a hard sell. Does anybody remember the name of that horror-only streaming service that was advertised on Earwolf? I'm curious as to how successful it was.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No, but it's probably the one I signed up to for a minute. Though there are like 5 horror- streaming services.

Thanks, market fragmentation! Way to take a good thing and make it almost as bad as cable!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Anyone watched that UCB show on there, I really want to watch it because I enjoy that episode they put out on youtube.

The big grande sketch was really good.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

A streaming service devoted to only one genre is always going to be a hard sell. Does anybody remember the name of that horror-only streaming service that was advertised on Earwolf? I'm curious as to how successful it was.

Shudder? No idea but boy what a dumb name

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

Anyone watched that UCB show on there, I really want to watch it because I enjoy that episode they put out on youtube.

I watched a couple with Earwolf favs. Good. Not an essential must-watch but it was a good time and worth your attention. More throwaway than any classic sketch show, but more consistent and funnier than any individual SNL episode. Very much feels like a stage show, because it is.

It's really fun for what it is but I wish they'd've done a bit more with it, maybe like a slightly less obnoxiously overedited The Meltdown.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Shudder is still around and as far as I know is doing fine.

It's probably easier for them though because they're really just getting content to show rather than creating content.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Snooze Cruise posted:

It is super uneven, I'd only watch it if you've got a comedy nerd compulsion, or you have it on as background while you're doing something else.

But it does have Donny Gary, Drew Tarver's breakout character.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

UCB-Adjacent Comedy Thread news: The Chris Gethard Show is moving to TruTV for 16 episodes this summer, airing live with audience call-ins and stuff just like the public access days. TruTV.... owns??

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
TruTV has been trying to position itself as a challenger to Comedy Central's dominance in the cable market for a while now, but they're very gradually realizing they can't just run Impractical Jokers for 18 hours a day.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Gethard Show announcement is great. The show really lost a lot when it killed the live aspect - even though it was amazing to be able to watch the tapings via YouTube and watch them do multiple takes and deal with on-set disasters, warm up the crowd, etc. The level of transparency was highly refreshing and exciting, but the show itself felt a little stifled. Season 2 was better about that, but still couldn't touch the MNN years. Though is TruTV available anywhere outside of a cable package?

I could see them scooping up a bunch of the Seeso shows if they really wanted to compete with CC. Would be p neat

ManoliIsFat posted:

It is super uneven

Is there a single sketch show that isn't? Monty Python and Mr. Show are super uneven. Not that it's in their league.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

TBS, which is also owned by Turner like TruTV, is more of a competitor to Comedy Central. Except for Those Who Can't, TruTV is almost entirely low-budget unscripted shows hosted by comedians while TBS has this crazy good block of single-cam comedies + Conan and Sam Bee.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

TBS, which is also owned by Turner like TruTV, is more of a competitor to Comedy Central. Except for Those Who Can't, TruTV is almost entirely low-budget unscripted shows hosted by comedians while TBS has this crazy good block of single-cam comedies + Conan and Sam Bee.

It's kind of impressive how many good shows TBS suddenly started putting out in the last year or two.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Is there a single sketch show that isn't? Monty Python and Mr. Show are super uneven. Not that it's in their league.
Well there are definitely runs of Mr Show and MP and Kids In The Hall that are flawless, whereas every ep of UCB I kinda lost intrest for chunks. And I am the biggest UCB fanboy in the world, I was primed to love it. But on the other hand, you are correct, and there's something intriguing about seeing so many different young, comedic voices. Other times it felt like a failed SNL audition.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

It's kind of impressive how many good shows TBS suddenly started putting out in the last year or two.

All because of Kevin Reilly. He established modern day FX, he saved The Office and 30 Rock while at NBC, he got fired at FOX for having the balls to kill pilot season for a year, and now at head of Turner he's successfully rebranded TruTV, TBS, and TNT ~and~ backed it up with great programming.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Every comic in LA wants to sell to Tru. It's creator focused and it comes across.

(Unless you're trying to sell scripted, but duh.)

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Lol at Gabrus doing reps in between Heroes of the Storm deaths.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

UP AND ADAM posted:

Lol at Gabrus doing reps in between Heroes of the Storm deaths.

I did think that whole episode of H&M was sweet. Also I went down a wormhole and found a pic of Gabrus as Dr Fran N Furter and me-ow.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Wonder what happened with Fusion then.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

feedmyleg posted:

The Gethard Show announcement is great. The show really lost a lot when it killed the live aspect - even though it was amazing to be able to watch the tapings via YouTube and watch them do multiple takes and deal with on-set disasters, warm up the crowd, etc. The level of transparency was highly refreshing and exciting, but the show itself felt a little stifled. Season 2 was better about that, but still couldn't touch the MNN years. Though is TruTV available anywhere outside of a cable package?

I could see them scooping up a bunch of the Seeso shows if they really wanted to compete with CC. Would be p neat

I mean not that you're wrong about Gethard, but the cash or trash episode is one of the funniest pieces of tv I've ever seen.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

piratepilates posted:

Wonder what happened with Fusion then.

They got bought by Univision around the same time as Gawker, laid off a bunch of staff, and is now mostly a news channel for millennials now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I mean not that you're wrong about Gethard, but the cash or trash episode is one of the funniest pieces of tv I've ever seen.

Anyone who's remotely into CBB/Earwolf and hasn't seen that episode is really doing themselves a disservice. It's amazing.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Anyone who's remotely into CBB/Earwolf and hasn't seen that episode is really doing themselves a disservice. It's amazing.

Did you mean "One Man's Trash..."?

E: That's the name of the episode. I forgot about the Cash or trash side project.
E2: I have to say, they totally knew beforehand.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 7, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The Ape of Naples posted:

E2: I have to say, they totally knew beforehand.

They did not.

What happened is that Gethard misheard misheard "a soiled Spider-Man suit, full body" as "a soiled Spider-Man suit, worn by Paul Giamatti. It was a weird kind of "don't think of an elephant" mixup - he heard what he was expecting not to hear, even though it wasn't said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

They did not.

What happened is that Gethard misheard misheard "a soiled Spider-Man suit, full body" as "a soiled Spider-Man suit, worn by Paul Giamatti. It was a weird kind of "don't think of an elephant" mixup - he heard what he was expecting not to hear, even though it wasn't said.

But Paul Scheer was the one who added the extra part. Also later on when Paul reads through the guesses he totally tries to play it cool on the closest guess and punctuate the next guess to throw it off.