Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

fezball posted:

Not with the lazy bastards my factories spit out, they'd much rather stand in line at a roboport all day - guess I keep spreading them out too far, but I hate constantly having to build around them. How do you guys place your ports to keep things from clogging up?
There's a mod called Smarter Charging or something like that which makes the bots go to the next roboport if there's a large amount of bots waiting to charge.

e: Smarter Bot Recharge but it seems it only applies when you're placing roboports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Don't place down one roboport. Place down 4. Then when that becomes a problem place down 8.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I wish the devs would fix the recharge time issue. Busy factories can see hundreds of bots stopped and waiting to recharge, it's really silly. Give us some sort of induction charger that has a large footprint and allows many bots to be charged at once, but make it expensive.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
factorio extended / factorio basics, whatever it's called, helped with that. There were Mk2 and Mk3 roboports that charged faster and had more charging stations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The atomic bomb in action:

There's no possible way this was worth 5000 yellow tech to research, plus 30 U-235 to build, but I'm pretty sure I can smell the freedom through my monitor. :911:

Also I was kind of hoping there was a nuclear missile you could launch from the rocket silo, but maybe that's turf for mods.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you want to sort of cheat there are mods for nuclear robots that don't require charging.

RyokoTK posted:

Also I was kind of hoping there was a nuclear missile you could launch from the rocket silo, but maybe that's turf for mods.
I tried it in Sandbox and I thought that was how you're supposed to use the nuke, put it as a payload on the rocket. But it just launched and told me I was an idiot for not putting a satellite in the rocket. :saddowns:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 4, 2017

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

totalnewbie posted:

Do you use SpaceBook? It's probably an option in there.

We're running modless, so I was hoping to be able to just disable it with a console command (since it's a map gen option now)

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

RyokoTK posted:

There's no possible way this was worth 5000 yellow tech to research, plus 30 U-235 to build, but I'm pretty sure I can smell the freedom through my monitor. :911:

We've gone through about 100 of them on the big MP map we're playing. Personal laser defense takes care of up to 4 spawner blobs easily. Anything bigger just toss a nuke at it and keep running. It's fast and fun rather than the painful grind it used to be plus they are great at clearing big swathes of forest. Not efficient or cost effective by any means but so what, load up a pocket full and go nuts.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Ratzap posted:

We've gone through about 100 of them on the big MP map we're playing. Personal laser defense takes care of up to 4 spawner blobs easily. Anything bigger just toss a nuke at it and keep running. It's fast and fun rather than the painful grind it used to be plus they are great at clearing big swathes of forest. Not efficient or cost effective by any means but so what, load up a pocket full and go nuts.

Yeah I suppose once you have several centrifuges doing the Kovarex loop you'll end up with way more U-235 than you could possibly need, so why not?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

RyokoTK posted:

Once you have korovax process you'll be swimming in uranium. Running around with four legs and 100 nukes is easy mode.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I guess. I only have one centrifuge running kovarex and I have maybe 300 U-235, ten hours later. It's still waaaay more than I need to run six reactors so I just stopped thinking about it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I set up five centrifuges running enrichment for one U235 every ten seconds, hoping that'd make a dent in my thousands-strong U238 backlog. Blew through it all in an hour, I had to set restrictions to stop them so I could still make ammo. I now have a huge backlog of glowies.

The solution of course is to mine a lot more uranium. Also I need to get round to setting up explosives manufacturing, I never found it worth it before so I'm not in the habit.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah, I set up five centrifuges running enrichment for one U235 every ten seconds, hoping that'd make a dent in my thousands-strong U238 backlog. Blew through it all in an hour, I had to set restrictions to stop them so I could still make ammo. I now have a huge backlog of glowies.

The solution of course is to mine a lot more uranium. Also I need to get round to setting up explosives manufacturing, I never found it worth it before so I'm not in the habit.

Don't forget to surround those centrifuges with speed mods and beacons! I have 5 doing the work of 30, and woo nelly that's a lot of uranium.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

sounds to me like uranium needs balancing. only hurdle you gotta jump through is the tech wall, after that it seems like relatively easy sailing once you've built up 40 u-235.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Loopoo posted:

sounds to me like uranium needs balancing. only hurdle you gotta jump through is the tech wall, after that it seems like relatively easy sailing once you've built up 40 u-235.

It's more interesting mental work than solar or steam plants, still requires you to mine uranium as you would coal (with the added bit of having to ship sulfuric acid out as well), and has a much more attractive end result than a giant endless sea of the same pattern of solar panels and accumulators. :shrug:

Nuclear power is fun and cool and it's probably my favorite addition to 0.15.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 4, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

any risk of thermonuclear meltdown?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
e: these numbers were wrong, deleting

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 4, 2017

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Goon island + factorissimo2 is the way to be

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Loopoo posted:

I am also curious about this.

Also, pedantic aside:

thermonuclear = fusion reaction specifically
nuclear = potentially both but usually fission reaction (the kind in Factorio, both the bomb and the power plant)

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

RyokoTK posted:

The atomic bomb in action:

I'm laughing at the very tiny little crater sprite that left. It's cute.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Does anyone have a good 4-lane 4-way junction? I came up with a couple but didn't like them much and, due to the size of the thing, trying new designs is taking way too much time. Only requirement is being able to handle long trains, so nothing too compact.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

rockopete posted:

I am also curious about this.

Also, pedantic aside:

thermonuclear = fusion reaction specifically
nuclear = potentially both but usually fission reaction (the kind in Factorio, both the bomb and the power plant)

I like people like you. I learnt something new and now next time some I'm arguing with a smug little rear end in a top hat, he won't call me out on it if I ever got into an argument over nuclear-related stuff.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

seravid posted:

Does anyone have a good 4-lane 4-way junction? I came up with a couple but didn't like them much and, due to the size of the thing, trying new designs is taking way too much time. Only requirement is being able to handle long trains, so nothing too compact.
you mean 2 rails on each side? Length of the train shouldn't matter if you use chain signals the trains will stop before the whole intersection.

If you mean 4 rails on each side, uh... why on earth would you need that?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Loopoo posted:

I was wondering if there's any roadmap for having all of the crazy rear end dangerous stuff that factories store be a danger to the factory. If you have a silo of acid that biters destroy, shouldn't it dissolve surrounding things?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Where in the tech tree is blueprints? I tried looking for it but couldn't find it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

Where in the tech tree is blueprints? I tried looking for it but couldn't find it.
It's stock now, hit B or hit the button in the upper right.

you can use the pipette button (Q) to convert a ghost to the real thing right from the start. It's a bit tedious right now, though.

I definitely think the blueprint UI needs an overhaul, it's real confusing to use at the moment.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
You get them automatically from the get-go now. The book on the top right menu (above mini-map)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How can I calculate the maximum amount of production I can stuff into a single Express belt?

I'm stuck on my dreaded Processing Units which need an absurd number of green circuits. So an Express belt moves 40 units per second, does that mean it can only support enough factories to consume 40 units per second, or am I missing a factor?

A processing unit takes 10 seconds base, in an Assembler 2 it takes 13.333333 seconds to produce. In that 13.33333 seconds it needs 20 green circuits, which works out to exactly 1.5 green chips per second. If a blue belt can move 40 units per second, does that mean a single blue belt will support (40/1.5) assemblers, or 26.66666? Did I make any math mistake there?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
:siren: Upgrade planner is now updated :siren:

No more doing all the finicky bits by hand!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

How can I calculate the maximum amount of production I can stuff into a single Express belt?

I'm stuck on my dreaded Processing Units which need an absurd number of green circuits. So an Express belt moves 40 units per second, does that mean it can only support enough factories to consume 40 units per second, or am I missing a factor?

A processing unit takes 10 seconds base, in an Assembler 2 it takes 13.333333 seconds to produce. In that 13.33333 seconds it needs 20 green circuits, which works out to exactly 1.5 green chips per second. If a blue belt can move 40 units per second, does that mean a single blue belt will support (40/1.5) assemblers, or 26.66666? Did I make any math mistake there?
That's accurate. You can check using that website, I selected processing unit, selected assembly machine 2 for it, and kept hitting + until there was a round number under "Count". So 9 per minute for 2 assembly2 needs 180 circuits which is 1.5/sec per factory.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

FISHMANPET posted:

This is my understanding of the math, too.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Tenebrais posted:

Also I need to get round to setting up explosives manufacturing, I never found it worth it before so I'm not in the habit.

I started using landmines, they're pretty great with the new stun effect. I put a big line of them right in range of my turrets, they clean up the weaker bugs immediately and keep the bigger ones from ever even reaching the wall. They're probably even better with flame turrets, since those tend do best against stationary targets

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I told an assembling machine to stop making a nuclear reactor :doh:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

bitterandtwisted posted:

I told an assembling machine to stop making a nuclear reactor :doh:

A real man hand crafts his nuclear reactors. POWER OF THE ATOM in your hands!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Bhodi posted:

you mean 2 rails on each side? Length of the train shouldn't matter if you use chain signals the trains will stop before the whole intersection.

If you mean 4 rails on each side, uh... why on earth would you need that?

Four rails total, yes.

I found a few interesting designs that are worth a try, otherwise I'll simply go with two T-junctions (with adequate distance between them).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

FISHMANPET posted:

Just a reference: using assembler 3s and speed module 3s, a saturated blue belt of circuits will feed somewhere between 5 and 6 assemblers. I found this out in practice last night when I had to add a train stop specifically for green circuit feed to our "modest" blue circuit factory of 12 assemblers after I upgraded them from no module assembler 2s.

Related: in our MP game, we've won. We don't need to keep playing, but the game of Factorio is great and so we just keep tuning our balance. We're looking into moving to a dedicated host, and maybe we'll restart. I think goon island would be a fun 7 player MP start.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I try adding chain signals at the red dots indicated, so if a train is coming from right to left on a straight path, a train going left to right (wanting to leave north) can have a green signal to just go up straight away. But the chain signals blink in error when I play them there. So right now, my junction is useless because if more than one train tries to use it, all other signals show red, even if there are free paths. How do I fix this?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I think you're going to need to expand the intersection so you can get chain signals on more segments.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've no idea how to expand it. Since my tracks are spaced two tiles apart, any design I come up with that gives more space at the intersection turns out so ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Loopoo posted:

I've no idea how to expand it. Since my tracks are spaced two tiles apart, any design I come up with that gives more space at the intersection turns out so ugly.

You just back up the three way split/merge in each lane further away from the junction. If you go far enough, it ends up like a diamond with a cross in it rather than a cross and a diamond in the same small space.

E: https://m.imgur.com/n4qCFY7 Like this. Their spacing is a bit wider between directions, but this should give you the right idea.