Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A sufficiently high-tech invisible jet is indistinguishable from a magic lasso, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Endless Mike posted:

A sufficiently high-tech invisible jet is indistinguishable from a magic lasso, I think.

Especially if you use the one to strap wonder woman to the other in a sufficiently S&M pose for a cover.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I've read the comics, the invisible jet is not only sentient but can become any other kind of invisible craft including a floating invisible sky palace. So there.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hey guys, I hope you are filled with fear because after that last page my expression is the exact same as Tony's.

[Tales of Suspense #48]

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

Hey guys, I hope you are filled with fear because after that last page my expression is the exact same as Tony's.

[Tales of Suspense #48]

Did Tony build an automatic Curly Defense into the suit in case anyone tries to go for the double fingered eye gouge

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Nova #6
Context: Worldmind recounting Richard's time in the Cancerverse over the past few years.

A bit darker if you've read Star-Lord's recent mini, but amusing nonetheless.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Not sure on the specific issue, but it's from the Kurt Buseik/George Perez run on Avengers Volume 3, which I remember being really good.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's Avengers Vol 3 #29.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I fuckin hate the "Magic and Technology are somehow in opposition" poo poo, it's up there with "Gods just get power from worshipers, man" to me. Good to know they did think of Zatanna though; she has always seemed a lot more street-level than Dr. Strange even if she has the same "is a wizard, Harry" power set.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nessus posted:

I fuckin hate the "Magic and Technology are somehow in opposition" poo poo, it's up there with "Gods just get power from worshipers, man" to me. Good to know they did think of Zatanna though; she has always seemed a lot more street-level than Dr. Strange even if she has the same "is a wizard, Harry" power set.

You should read iron man 149 and 150 as it's doctor doom and iron man in Camelot

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I really like the "gods receive power from worshipers" trope because it's a good narrative device that explains why old gods may have faded away, allowing you to dispense with ones you don't want to use; provides a mechanism for introducing new gods that isn't "I guess she was born out of his forehead"; and allows you to scale individual power levels rather arbitrarily for whatever sort of story you're writing (Thor is the most powerful of the classical gods because neo-nazis exist).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

I really like the "gods receive power from worshipers" trope because it's a good narrative device that explains why old gods may have faded away, allowing you to dispense with ones you don't want to use; provides a mechanism for introducing new gods that isn't "I guess she was born out of his forehead"; and allows you to scale individual power levels rather arbitrarily for whatever sort of story you're writing (Thor is the most powerful of the classical gods because neo-nazis exist).
Have you heard of Neil Gaiman's "American Gods"...........

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

My library doesn't have it and it's not on Marvel Unlimited so I've never actually read it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Phy posted:

Did Tony build an automatic Curly Defense into the suit in case anyone tries to go for the double fingered eye gouge

He does (in later issues, at least) have clear shields that will close down over the holes, and I think he caught one guy's fingers in them, but that also might have been a werewolf who definitely drew some blood first.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Unstoppable Wasp #5

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Am I even in BSS right now? What is happening to reality

This is the BSS created after Superboy Prime punched reality.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Ghostlight posted:

My library doesn't have it and it's not on Marvel Unlimited so I've never actually read it.

It's not a comic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I always assumed it was since it only comic book geeks ever brought it up. Other than the new tv show, obviously.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I would imagine a lot of us picked it up because we knew his comics, but we talk about it because it's really good. It seems to get about the same reverence in most of the geeky circles I overlap with.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Nah, American Gods is only pretty good. Great ideas, poor execution.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Nessus posted:

Have you heard of Neil Gaiman's "American Gods"...........

Or Terry Pratchett's Small God's?

Or both of their Good Omens?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

VanSandman posted:

Nah, American Gods is only pretty good. Great ideas, poor execution.

I want to argue with this, but it's been quite a few years since I last read it, so my memory is suspect.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Or Terry Pratchett's Small God's?

Or both of their Good Omens?
I'm not sure why you're asking these questions? But yes?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

New Mutants #35: Warlock learns about helicopters to help out the team

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
In Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: Breakout!, the Guardians have to break out of a theme park ride the Collector's fortress and Drax learns an important lesson.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I've not been following the GOTG comics, do they at any point explain how or why Drax picked up his movie characterization?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Movietization.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dude's had so many completely different personalities that what's one more?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He's been dead like 5 times or some poo poo, and used to be your average suburban white dude. Let him go a little crazy now and then.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Ghostlight posted:

If you haven't, read Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TheCenturion posted:

:agreed:

The Discworld books are all great, and Small Gods is one of the best.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

haitfais posted:

It's not a comic.

Actually

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Whoa, so does this mean Canary knows the secret? She had to be looking at him at the time.

Gann Jerrod posted:

In Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: Breakout!, the Guardians have to break out of a theme park ride the Collector's fortress and Drax learns an important lesson.

Is that a Super Buu monster? Man, Batista would be so great in DBZ now that I think about it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

Whoa, so does this mean Canary knows the secret? She had to be looking at him at the time.

Is that a Super Buu monster? Man, Batista would be so great in DBZ now that I think about it.

He'd be an awesome Nappa or Piccolo. And he's a big nerd too so he might be down.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

SonicRulez posted:

He probably waited until she blinked.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Cabbit posted:

I've not been following the GOTG comics, do they at any point explain how or why Drax picked up his movie characterization?

Before that I think they were reverting him to his 90's era Space Hulk personality so it's a step up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

These are excellent books, this does not mean the concept needs to ring eternal. People got sick of elves and poems in fantasy novels too.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

prefect posted:

:agreed:

The Discworld books are all great, and Small Gods is one of the best.

One note that may encourage reading from a practical standpoint. Aside from some cameos and references, Small Gods is entirely stand alone.

So you don't need the novel series equivalent of "See X-Men #78" every ten pages. There, now it's tangentially tied back into comics chat.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Nessus posted:

These are excellent books, this does not mean the concept needs to ring eternal. People got sick of elves and poems in fantasy novels too.

I suggested it because Small Gods is an amazing look at what 'powered by the belief of mortals' might work like in the real world, and an excellent meditation on what faith actually is, and how it interacts with the bureaucracies of large organized religions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

TheCenturion posted:

I suggested it because Small Gods is an amazing look at what 'powered by the belief of mortals' might work like in the real world, and an excellent meditation on what faith actually is, and how it interacts with the bureaucracies of large organized religions.

And the banality of evil for what someone declares to be religious purposes.