Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah I was gonna say that that looked like real bad Botox face.

I haven't seen a clothing department that looks like it wasn't recently hit by a tornado in like 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Crabtree posted:

I really don't like how these horrible CEO psychos actually prove poo poo like judging people as bad because of their weird as poo poo face is correct in this instance. Because, no really, WHAT IS WRONG WITH HIS FACE?!

the dude's like 72 now

I think that photo is from 3 or 4 years ago

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Heliogabalos posted:

Has there been any discussion of mom-and-pop retail that has been successful (obviously financially) at rebranding in the digital/experience-focused new shopping paradigm?

I am going back to sports retail management in a new city and I am noticing two trends in the niche I'll be working in: one, stores layering access by expanding to web stores and Amazon and constantly re-assessing brands and constantly testing/selling new product in small batches (and implementing classes or in-store or store-related grass-roots activities or whatever). The second trend is not currently adapting due to sunk cost fallacy and assuming a loyal customer base will remain loyal and also outsourcing grassroots stuff to affiliate groups that don't bear the name or logo of the store proper (sigh)

I've just been hired by the latter, a store still experiencing growth despite a lack of adaptation, and I want to start pushing new ideas but I want something quantifiable to link back to other than "everyone is doing it."

Get local teams what they want. Old fashioned sales is still a thing and still can make a small company relatively wealthy if they can leverage a customer base by hand. Also outsourcing grassroots stuff is stupid. You don't learn poo poo when others are doing it for you.

Leverage those deals in the ability to buy quality goods at bulk, setup a webstore that slits the margins to maintain bulk rates and push excess goods used for your bread and butter. Sell again to original customer at a better markup when they come around next season/year. Rinse and repeat. You know this, it's business 101. The risk is in what quality goods to bring in.

Personal consumption note:

I do pretty well buying XL/oversized and having a good relation with my tailor. As someone who never has been able to find fitting clothes(I'm 6'8") its not worth complaining about it. Just get a tailor and go to thrift shops/vintage stores/estate sales knowing what to look for. You'll look way better than with anything you can dig off the rack. You can spend 1/10th of the cost on something real high quality and just have it altered if you aren't ever worried about the fit.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BlueBlazer posted:

Personal consumption note:

I do pretty well buying XL/oversized and having a good relation with my tailor. As someone who never has been able to find fitting clothes(I'm 6'8") its not worth complaining about it. Just get a tailor and go to thrift shops/vintage stores/estate sales knowing what to look for. You'll look way better than with anything you can dig off the rack. You can spend 1/10th of the cost on something real high quality and just have it altered if you aren't ever worried about the fit.

That's good advice for men but it's a lot more complicated for women.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That's good advice for men but it's a lot more complicated for women.

My SO does it too. She taught me to start doing it. Not going to claim it is anyway equal or fair. Costs her more and takes her more time. Also I'm understanding body shape swings much more widely in ladies, even more reason to have a good relationship with your tailor. Depending on the tailor you can have minor alterations done for 10-15$. You wont fit in it the same time next year when the weather changes. Pick three outfits have them resized replaced and your good to go. If you havn''t tried it you should do it before poo-pooing it. Take a dress that never quite fit right be prepared to spend 50$ and you'll get something amazing.

Finding clothes that fit on the rack is hell, so why even try. Our retail culture has taught us to view everything as expendable or demo targeted. This is true in a sense, but there is plenty of value in reclaiming and reusing, its just a taught/learned skilled. It's one thing to be aware of how we are sold to, its another to not care and consume in your own way.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BlueBlazer posted:

My SO does it too. She taught me to start doing it. Not going to claim it is anyway equal or fair. Costs her more and takes her more time. Also I'm understanding body shape swings much more widely in ladies, even more reason to have a good relationship with your tailor. Depending on the tailor you can have minor alterations done for 10-15$. You wont fit in it the same time next year when the weather changes. Pick three outfits have them resized replaced and your good to go. If you havn''t tried it you should do it before poo-pooing it. Take a dress that never quite fit right be prepared to spend 50$ and you'll get something amazing.

Finding clothes that fit on the rack is hell, so why even try. Our retail culture has taught us to view everything as expendable or demo targeted. This is true in a sense, but there is plenty of value in reclaiming and reusing, its just a taught/learned skilled. It's one thing to be aware of how we are sold to, its another to not care and consume in your own way.

It's a lot more complicated for women. I'm glad it works for your SO, but it's not universal or even common for that solution to cover everything a woman needs to dress herself. Do you think women don't do this because they just weren't smart enough to think of it? Why are you assuming women can easily find clothing that fits them within tailoring range and suits their needs on vintage store racks either? And three outfits? There are five days in a workweek and a lot of women work places where it would be unprofessional to cycle even a full week's worth of outfits over and over.

It's "pooh-pooing," and I have tried it. It's not a solution, just a nice thing for the occasional piece when the stars align.

Shopping for clothes too hard? Just do it in a more difficult, expensive, and time-consuming way using a more limited and unpredictable selection! Silly ladies!

This thread is about the failures of the retail industry in aggregate. You can always say "just opt out" to an individual person in an individual instance, but that doesn't change the fact that there are mass-market problems that should be addressed. And why are you being so consumerist and buying your clothes? Just get your own loom!

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 4, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tailoring is quite expensive even as a guy with a single uniform for his entire life, for minor alterations.

I wouldn't want to try it as a woman.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

It's a lot more complicated for women. I'm glad it works for your SO, but it's not universal or even common for that solution to cover everything a woman needs to dress herself. Do you think women don't do this because they just weren't smart enough to think of it? Why are you assuming women can easily find clothing that fits them within tailoring range and suits their needs on vintage store racks either? And three outfits? There are five days in a workweek and a lot of women work places where it would be unprofessional to cycle even a full week's worth of outfits over and over.

It's "pooh-pooing," and I have tried it. It's not a solution, just a nice thing for the occasional piece when the stars align.

Shopping for clothes too hard? Just do it in a more difficult, expensive, and time-consuming way using a more limited and unpredictable selection! Silly ladies!

This thread is about the failures of the retail industry in aggregate. You can always say "just opt out" to an individual person in an individual instance, but that doesn't change the fact that there are mass-market problems that should be addressed. And why are you being so consumerist and buying your clothes? Just get your own loom!

Do you have a chronic need to overreact to loving everything? I mean god drat, it's like you're playing a caricature of yourself as described by your worst critics.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DrNutt posted:

Do you have a chronic need to overreact to loving everything? I mean god drat, it's like you're playing a caricature of yourself as described by your worst critics.

o poo poo is disagreeing with someone "overreacting" suddenly everything makes sense

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

My ex girlfriend has this issue pretty much constantly because she's 4ft 9 inches and while she's not really heavy/large, she's not wisp thin either and she has a G cup bra. According to her, finding good looking outfits for her is a complete nightmare and things like dresses are pretty much out of the question. Teen clothing and women's small tends to be too tight across the chest while also being baggy around her midsection, and anything bigger tends to fit like a trash bag or is completely unflattering. She has 3 pairs of work slacks that she rotates through and she has maybe 9 tops total that she's not embarassed to wear in public between both work and recreation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

DeathSandwich posted:

My ex girlfriend has this issue pretty much constantly because she's 4ft 9 inches and while she's not really heavy/large, she's not wisp thin either and she has a G cup bra. According to her, finding good looking outfits for her is a complete nightmare and things like dresses are pretty much out of the question. Teen clothing and women's small tends to be too tight across the chest while also being baggy around her midsection, and anything bigger tends to fit like a trash bag or is completely unflattering. She has 3 pairs of work slacks that she rotates through and she has maybe 9 tops total that she's not embarassed to wear in public between both work and recreation.

What are your ex-girlfriend's measurements/weight?

Because a G-Cup bra, 4 foot 9, and "not wisp thin, but not really heavy/large" don't seem to mesh unless she has an extremely unique body type.

Even if she were a normal build, being 4ft 9 in is already going to really throw off the ability to find normal fitting clothes.

Being short or tall really limits you ability to get snug, but well-fitting clothing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's the great contrast between when I shop for myself and when I shop with my other half. She gets to go to a variety of shops that sell a variety of clothes as long as your choices are tailored and tiny, or a patterned sack, and they're both expensive.

I get to go to one shop and ask a man if he has anything in my size with a short leg or an extra long 17 and a half collar, and he does, and both go with everything I could be expected to wear, and mine are on sale all the time.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Alot of use of the word assume going on here. Alot of assuming of my intentions? I'm merely sharing my personal experiences along with those shared and taught for me by my SO, a women. So I would hope that you are only trying to encourage the discussion of the missmatch in retail exposure for men and women,which as I already acknowedge and is indeed the case and unfair; or attack me for making an advice recommendation that may not apply to your particular experience to an audience larger than yourself; of which I will go with the former.

So I will respond to each of your questions without a sense of assumption that you seem to think I'm implying.

Being that my SO taught me to do this I would say, "No, I do not assume anything about the intelligence of women to not be smart enough to do something." Thats sexist and I feel a bit insulted to suggest I was saying that, but I will have the understanding that people irregardless of sex would not understand and have this figured it out. I sure as poo poo didn't for the first 27 years of my life.

I wouldn't say it can be easily done, in my experience shopping with her and others like her, it's easier when you aren't constrained by exact sizing and have an additional tool to handle that particular problem.

Also three outfits is a good general starting point for really anyone without a fitted wardrobe, which you do continue to have after trying new things. But that's general advice I've learned and picked up so please feel free to continue to critise my methods for self-improvemnt, thats fair game.

I'm trying to draw some relation across the sexes that men too can have this problem and there is a solution, it is more difficult, expensive and time consuming. Most solutions to problems without retail solutions are. Please continue to talk past me if you wish to push the conversation of the unequalness of the retail market. I have not tried to push any alternative narrative.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

the dude's like 72 now

I think that photo is from 3 or 4 years ago

Try 10. I think that was 06 or 07...maybe 05.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

o poo poo is disagreeing with someone "overreacting" suddenly everything makes sense

The guy made one small counterpoint regarding his SO and you jumped down his throat about it, going so far as to imply he was being dismissive of you because you were a 'silly lady.' That's overreacting, yes.

I mean gently caress, I agree with you about all the retail stuff, I just don't understand why you always have to immediately jump to the worst conclusions when discussing this poo poo with people in good faith.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

DrNutt posted:

I'm also realizing I'm taking the bait...

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Because a G-Cup bra, 4 foot 9, and "not wisp thin, but not really heavy/large" don't seem to mesh unless she has an extremely unique body type.

It's unusual but I've seen it. It was a girl who shared a room with one of my best friends in college. She would look kinda chunky lounging around in a t-shirt but then she'd strap on a bra and holy poo poo top heavy hourglass ahoy.

she had reduction surgery a few years ago once she was able to afford it. She wrote on Facebook she went down to a C and at first I was like, aw, I'd at least keep a D cup for extra :wiggle: but then I saw a photo of her with her new smaller boobs and she was still so small that they looked comfortably sexy big on her.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I have short legs as a guy and I have to mentally tack on $10 or so to every pair of pants I buy because I have to get them hemmed up at those Dry-cleaners that do some simple alterations an inch and a half because pretty much nowhere carries stuff under 30 in length which is a bit annoying.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What are your ex-girlfriend's measurements/weight?

Even if she were a normal build, being 4ft 9 in is already going to really throw off the ability to find normal fitting clothes.

Being short or tall really limits you ability to get snug, but well-fitting clothing.

You very likely think a G-cup bra is much bigger than it is. Bra sizing is proportional - a small-framed woman's G is smaller than a large-framed woman's G, and a G is more like what people imagine a D to be.

I know this is hard to believe, but all mass-market women's clothing, all of it, literally all of it, is sized for a B-cup, no matter what size clothing it is. The market's failure to address women's needs is much bigger than people realize.

I'm not "baiting" tailoring guy, I'm trying to explain that "have you tried just-" is lovely advice when you're dealing with a complex and all-encompassing problem. But tailoring guy, if you don't want to come off as sexist don't say patronizing things while calling women "ladies" maybe.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'm a 100% average size. Everything fits :)

Actually, that's a lie. Everything fits *badly*. And I'm anything from an Extra Small to Large depending on what the shop feels would neg/flatter its customers most.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I acknowledge I give lovely advice. The aforementioned, is financially, pretty lovely for anyone who wants to spend less time, effort, and resources clothing themselves.

Just trying to do my part in facilitating the collapse of the chain store retailing environment.

Spend your money locally, support your local tailor.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

You very likely think a G-cup bra is much bigger than it is. Bra sizing is proportional - a small-framed woman's G is smaller than a large-framed woman's G, and a G is more like what people imagine a D to be.

I know this is hard to believe, but all mass-market women's clothing, all of it, literally all of it, is sized for a B-cup, no matter what size clothing it is. The market's failure to address women's needs is much bigger than people realize.

I'm not "baiting" tailoring guy, I'm trying to explain that "have you tried just-" is lovely advice when you're dealing with a complex and all-encompassing problem. But tailoring guy, if you don't want to come off as sexist don't say patronizing things while calling women "ladies" maybe.

I've been altering my own bras since I started wearing bras, and I never even realized that cup sizes were proportional. I guess because i didn't compare the same cup sizes between band sizes. Huh. Thanks for info.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WrenP-Complete posted:

I've been altering my own bras since I started wearing bras, and I never even realized that cup sizes were proportional. I guess because i didn't compare the same cup sizes between band sizes. Huh. Thanks for info.

Whoaa how do you alter a bra? Strap length?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Problem with bras is that they inevitably wear out and don't give lift as well as they used to, so eventually you're in an in-between state of them being somewhat too loose but not loose enough to prompt a run to the store, and speaking as a big-boobed woman, a bad bra can add 10 pounds.

I've heard cup sizes are proportional but I don't know if that's 100% true. I tend to be happy with a 34 DD and I've been told that a 40D or something will work but if I put one on even at the tightest hooks it's just not tight enough.

Pro-tip: most of the support from your bra should come from the strap that goes around your ribs! Relying on the shoulder straps to provide most of the support is a one-way ticket to painsville! :eng101:

I know it's a derail but I always appreciate the chance to bitch about bras.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Xibanya posted:

Problem with bras is that they inevitably wear out and don't give lift as well as they used to, so eventually you're in an in-between state of them being somewhat too loose but not loose enough to prompt a run to the store, and speaking as a big-boobed woman, a bad bra can add 10 pounds.

I've heard cup sizes are proportional but I don't know if that's 100% true. I tend to be happy with a 34 DD and I've been told that a 40D or something will work but if I put one on even at the tightest hooks it's just not tight enough.

Pro-tip: most of the support from your bra should come from the strap that goes around your ribs! Relying on the shoulder straps to provide most of the support is a one-way ticket to painsville! :eng101:

I know it's a derail but I always appreciate the chance to bitch about bras.

Yeah they're proportional but that doesn't mean you can swap out sizes - a 40D cup will be a different shape than a 34DD cup. Salespeople just lie to get you to leave with whatever they have in stock.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Whoaa how do you alter a bra? Strap length?

Yeah, and band size/proportions - like if your breasts are more far apart than the standard model bras allow for, or shaped differently. In my case I have back/shoulder problems and have replaced/supplemented the bands with jersey knit material in the back if they are bothering me. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to tolerate the pressure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think my other half has about half a dozen extenders that she sometimes has to daisy chain.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Here's a good example of how the online market is reacting to brick-and-mortar stores making GBS threads the bed when it comes to women's clothing: Lularoe is a pyramid scheme legging company that sells nothing but stretchy fabrics that fit everyone poorly. They cost a fortune and have a shoddy attention eye details like pattern-matching, but they are a huge, huge trend right now among women who used to be the core demo for traditional retail - white middle-class women. It's Lululemon for people who don't work out.

And now they've found an unholy synergy that will make them unstoppable: Disney Crazies

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Here's a good example of how the online market is reacting to brick-and-mortar stores making GBS threads the bed when it comes to women's clothing: Lularoe is a pyramid scheme legging company that sells nothing but stretchy fabrics that fit everyone poorly. They cost a fortune and have a shoddy attention eye details like pattern-matching, but they are a huge, huge trend right now among women who used to be the core demo for traditional retail - white middle-class women. It's Lululemon for people who don't work out.

And now they've found an unholy synergy that will make them unstoppable: Disney Crazies

Oh no.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

How can I invest for a quick turnaround and get out before it flames out spectacularly?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Lularoe advertises their pyramid scheme on the radio now, they've really hit the big time.

Can anyone go further into why big box retail has just been so completely annihilated on the electronics front?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

incoherent posted:

How can I invest for a quick turnaround and get out before it flames out spectacularly?

Pound pavement, develop a great network of salespeople, and really believing in the product.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Electronics are like the one thing that you have virtually no need to try out before you buy it, because you're looking for a feature list, not hands on experience.

That said I would do crimes for a headphone store that stocked like, old massive 1980's things.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

paragon1 posted:

Lularoe advertises their pyramid scheme on the radio now, they've really hit the big time.

Can anyone go further into why big box retail has just been so completely annihilated on the electronics front?

Have they really? I mean a lot of the big box retailers that did electronics started as stores that primarily sold major appliances. And their business model kinda relied on the fact that there used to be a lot more people needing appliances, both because of the vast wave of new home building, and because old appliances were simply a lot less reliable. So their collapse really came from their core business of major appliances falling out. (You had places like CompUSA going under too which were explicitly electronics, but their only real reason to exist was the fact that it was difficult to order a computer online before a certain point)

Meanwhile other big box retailers that sell electronics like Target or Wal-Mart do just fine selling electronics still.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

paragon1 posted:

Physical media died and smartphones cannibalized the camera and music player markets. Also TVs don't break like they used to and non-gamers aren't buying PCs anymore.

paragon1 posted:

Pound pavement, develop a great network of salespeople, and really believing in the product.

Don't listen to that nerd, stalk mommy facebook groups and buy "rare" patterns and flip 'em

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Don't listen to that nerd, stalk mommy facebook groups and buy "rare" patterns and flip 'em

Yeah, based on that article Tiny Brontosaurus shared, buy things with high nostalgia value. Facebook mommy groups and Nextdoor would be good places to look for demand/supply.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Can I interest you in becoming a sales rep for some great health and diet products? We'll show you how to build your own team, and you'll have your own business before you know it. I hope you'll consider this as you really seem like a Diamond tier entrepreneur.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The problem with buying gimmicky nostalgia for resale is that you never know what will retain its value (who knew that Bat-Man would take off while the Black Marvel was forgotten?), and when the bubble will burst (Beanie Babies).

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

paragon1 posted:

Can I interest you in becoming a sales rep for some great health and diet products? We'll show you how to build your own team, and you'll have your own business before you know it. I hope you'll consider this as you really seem like a Diamond tier entrepreneur.

I'm interested... can you put your pitch in the form of a children's book?

Halloween Jack posted:

The problem with buying gimmicky nostalgia for resale is that you never know what will retain its value (who knew that Bat-Man would take off while the Black Marvel was forgotten?), and when the bubble will burst (Beanie Babies).

To make it clear, I don't seriously advise anybody touch this Luluroe poo poo with a ten-foot pole, but it's not "nostalgia" in the sense of collector's items that sit on a shelf until some unspecified date when they shoot up in value. They're cheaply-made, disposable-quality leggings that come in thousands of "limited edition" patterns that the MLM demo are swapping and using to build themed outfits for their multi-annual trips to Disney. There's also a fad for putting together team color outfits, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

BlueBlazer posted:

You do realize $10-15 is more than the cost of an entire shirt right?