Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Hits like a truck and might as well have haste since he pretty consistently gets 2 or sometimes even 3 turns for every 1 of mine.

The Bullshit Threshold (aka "the point where boss ATB fills instantly and the only delay between attacks is the attack's cast time") is 675. Ifrit has 650 speed, meaning that not only would haste and slow do essentially nothing, but it means that his ATB charges in about a fifth of a second on Speed 3. The space between his attacks is almost entirely cast time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Doesn't power creep also help out new players, since they can gear up to beat existing content faster?

Yes. I made a 2nd account (that I haven't touched in weeks) during the anniversary and pulled Shout, Asylum, as well as a couple good BSBs (like Kain's) and Terra/OK's OSBs, among other things.

Just giving Kain the freebie r1 Lifesiphon that everyone got means he always had a SB use ready for bosses and there are dozens of levels whose bosses die to a single BSB usage even without Shout buffing the damage. If anything it'd make a large portion of the game fairly boring because the challenge would be minimal at best.

When Shout came out I was 1-2 rounding bosses like Leviathan (FF3) elite with SSBs and BSBs+OSBs put those abilities to shame. If I were to play the account seriously I'm not sure when it'd stop being able to one-round story dungeon bosses but it'd probably be a few hundred clears until I started to hit (elite) fights that could take the hits. Cloud's USB paired with other abilities is going to be the next level of busted (as shown in the earlier video of Orlandu dropping nearly a million damage on a boss with his BSB).

wizard on a water slide posted:

The one thing that's really weird about the game's design is how rare wall effects are and how AFAIK Tyro and Yshtola still have the only "true" max power walls.

At least they've done a pretty good job keeping those relics in rotation, compared to all the bad unique SBs, but it seems really strange that they haven't either cut the power of the "true walls" in half or given characters in more realms/roles access at this point. Even with a rise in wall-ignoring enemies, it's insane how much better that ability is than basically anything else you can spend 1 SB on.

Wall is something they almost certainly regret and would remove if they could get away with doing so.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I had been getting frustrated trying to improve my teams after spending 200+ mythril chasing OK gauntlets or Raines bsb and getting mostly crap on all my pulls. Did a 3 pull on Orlandeau's banner since I like his character a lot and got 3 silvers for it. Did a 2nd rage 3x on Ramza's banner. Got his USB (and my first USB at all), which takes the sting out of chasing OK. I did also get Desch's BSB earlier off the ff3 banners, so I need to look at a major overall of my mage teams now. Probably Pap (ley lines)/Ramza(full break/USB)/Desch (BSB)/Y'shstola (Wall) and then Yuna (BSB2), Krile(BSB), Ashe(BSB), or Quisitis (BSB)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zurai posted:

What? FFRK gives you 13 mythril every 10 days as login bonuses (1 mythril every day, 3 mythril over 10 days in a repeating cycle along with other rewards).

I genuinely have no idea what in the world you're talking about.

3 Mythril over 10 days? I haven't really been counting that hard but I notice 1 mythril on login, so if I assumed that, it'd be 50 days before I could pull, compared with 10 days, (or a month or so with mobius).

Much more expensive to whale though, $29 for a single pull is something I'm never doing. Even mobius' $18~ to single pull is too goddamn much. Maybe something like $5 and I'd pull on it now and again. "yeah, this is worth a coffee and a sandwich, wait I've pulled 30 times this month? gently caress"

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

3 Mythril over 10 days? I haven't really been counting that hard but I notice 1 mythril on login, so if I assumed that, it'd be 50 days before I could pull, compared with 10 days, (or a month or so with mobius).

Much more expensive to whale though, $29 for a single pull is something I'm never doing. Even mobius' $18~ to single pull is too goddamn much. Maybe something like $5 and I'd pull on it now and again. "yeah, this is worth a coffee and a sandwich, wait I've pulled 30 times this month? gently caress"

13/10 days from login + 10/week from events. Throw in DU mythril and random other bonuses, and you can 50 pull just about every two weeks.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

There's one daily login track that's mythril every time, and another that has a mix of mythril, gil and upgrade materials.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Heroes doesn't give out 2 orbs every day. It currently does but after "Hero Fest" is over it's a draught again. The guaranteed 5* from 11 pull is also incredibly valuable. I personally can't wait to have 20 orbs again to pull two 3* Oboros, a 3* Draug and two 3* Felicias. The chance for a 5* relic is higher than the chance for a 5* hero too.

What's the jury's take on Wakka's Assault Reels? Yet another SB I grabbed some time ago but haven't had the time to properly try.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

What's the jury's take on Wakka's Assault Reels? Yet another SB I grabbed some time ago but haven't had the time to properly try.

completely unremarkable, just lets him to a little more damage while still covering his support job.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Prav posted:

completely unremarkable, just lets him to a little more damage while still covering his support job.

I think it's a little better than unremarkable, though it's not top tier. Even though it's random, there's so many attacks going out that it's effectively AOE full breakdown, a slightly higher % than the skill. It depends on where you are in terms of hones and other BSBs though. I used it effectively in a few Torments where he can basically spam it every time FBD may fall off easily. But yeah, if you have Vaan or Fujin or whomever's BSBs, their's is way more useful for overall debuffs since they can stack easily with normal FBD.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Heroes doesn't give out 2 orbs every day. It currently does but after "Hero Fest" is over it's a draught again. The guaranteed 5* from 11 pull is also incredibly valuable. I personally can't wait to have 20 orbs again to pull two 3* Oboros, a 3* Draug and two 3* Felicias. The chance for a 5* relic is higher than the chance for a 5* hero too.

Also FE:H (unless it's changed very recently indeed) is a base 6% draw rate, with half that being off-banner. I think FFRK debuted at 7% draw rate, or raised it there within the first month.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Zurai posted:

Also FE:H (unless it's changed very recently indeed) is a base 6% draw rate, with half that being off-banner. I think FFRK debuted at 7% draw rate, or raised it there within the first month.

There's a "hero fest" banner right now with an 8% 5* draw rate for focus and 3% for everyone else, but otherwise yeah.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

UHD posted:

There's a "hero fest" banner right now with an 8% 5* draw rate for focus and 3% for everyone else, but otherwise yeah.

It's 5% for focus and 3% for other five stars for 8% total. FFRK's is 13% (ignoring the 100% chance for one). Of course you can't forget the IV gamble so even if you get a Great Five Star Unit it can still be a useless piece of trash because it happens to be -speed +resistance.

I play and like FEH but I greatly prefer FFRK's gacha system.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are there any tricks for getting RMs to drop? Trying to get Mako Might and yes I did get his RM for beating Elite Jenova without him dying.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are there any tricks for getting RMs to drop? Trying to get Mako Might and yes I did get his RM for beating Elite Jenova without him dying.

When you're at the point where it's purely a random drop and are in a rush to get any of the RMs, there's a dungeon in FFIV, Fabul Castle that's all 1 stamina stages at 1 round each. It's been pretty reliable for me.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

iamsosmrt posted:

When you're at the point where it's purely a random drop and are in a rush to get any of the RMs, there's a dungeon in FFIV, Fabul Castle that's all 1 stamina stages at 1 round each. It's been pretty reliable for me.

The drop chance is rolled per-round as opposed to per-stage, so Mist Cave (IV), Mako Reactor No.5 (VII), or the first stage of any given event (2 stamina, 3 rounds) are all actually more stamina efficient.

If you don't want to be forced to constantly clear 1* equip out of your inventory, the second stage of any given event (4 stamina, 3 rounds) is less efficient but also doesn't drop garbage gear.

If it's not a RM you have to farm right this instant for optimal SB murder, then usually it's fine just dragging a character with you through dailies and events.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The best way to avoid having vendor trash gear cluttering your inventory is to use an emulator so that you can capture the client-server traffic. Since all loot is rolled at the start of battle, you can use one of several scripts floating around that will automatically translate battle data into information about those loot drops. And at that point you only need to actually fight the battles that give you RM drops, and then skip the ones that don't rather than wasting time. (I just recently finished several days of farming RM2s with this method, so now I just have a bunch of RM3s remaining along with the RM2s from generics.)

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

This Sunday marks the first time we're able to target and start trying to farm 4* vit motes via the 160 multiplayer. Hope you like fighting Hashmal forever :shepface:

Do it solo to avoid grouping with idiot plebs, the rewards and stam cost are the same as if you were leading a room.

Take lots of wind stuff and try not to go insane from the tedium

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chasing Ike on his banner and by only opening reds (so a lot of 4-5 orb pulls) I've managed to get the focus/5* rate up to 4.75% without a 5* or focus character so far.

And FE Heroes has that lovely IV system so even when you get someone you like you still have a chance of them being arbitrarily worse if the game decides to do so.

It's 5% for focus and 3% for other five stars for 8% total. FFRK's is 13% (ignoring the 100% chance for one). Of course you can't forget the IV gamble so even if you get a Great Five Star Unit it can still be a useless piece of trash because it happens to be -speed +resistance.

I play and like FEH but I greatly prefer FFRK's gacha system.

You can't take a 1* to 5* in FFRK like you can in FE:Heroes though. Their lower 5* rate really only matters for the units that only exist as 5* units. I got Camilla, Eliwood, and others as 4 star units. It's not like FFBE where the 5* base units have a 1% chance of showing up on a pull and are significantly better than 3-4 base units with a couple exceptions (like Refia, Rikku, and WoL).

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
They both have their advantages. I've been saying since day 1 FEH that pulling for characters instead of equipment is worse (inheritance helped), since you really only need four good 5* heroes to complete 99% of the content. That's pretty easy to do if you've been playing since day 1 and re-rolled. Despite having rolled a bunch more optimized characters I'd still be competitive with my first four 5*s that I got in a week or two - Lyn, Sharena, MRobin, and Kagero. There really is no reason to pull past this except to get your favourite characters, although I still can't help myself.

FFRK on the other hand requires a lot more out of you (several BSBs, healing BSB, special SBs like wall/shout/vessel) if you want to at least complete full events (even moreso for torments, nightmares, etc) . Not to mention synergy gear and abilities. It's got 2+ years and tons of power creep extras on FEH though.

I'd still argue that I prefer the FEH gacha. At least it feels like you're helping the odds by being able to chase a specific colour, and the rolling gacha helps too.

acumen fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 4, 2017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Beasteh posted:

This Sunday marks the first time we're able to target and start trying to farm 4* vit motes via the 160 multiplayer. Hope you like fighting Hashmal forever :shepface:

Do it solo to avoid grouping with idiot plebs, the rewards and stam cost are the same as if you were leading a room.

Take lots of wind stuff and try not to go insane from the tedium

Or get in the goon discord and share the love/boredom/motes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Or get in the goon discord and share the love/boredom/motes.

I agree with this.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I've heard a some people talk about an 'extreme fest' coming up. I gather it has some really good pulls.

When is that and how much mythril should I be stashing for it?

Izno
Sep 10, 2010
It should be coming out around june 26th approximately. In Japan it included 5 banners. also 3 lucky banners to start it off (medica/guaranteed bsb / imperil ). Each phase was made up of:
4 USB or OSB
6 BSB
2 SSB

you won't see odds like that for a BSB + on any other banner for a long time.

So unless you are chasing some very specific relics like Clouds USSB then the answer is ALL the mythril. You should be saving all the mythril for this. Except maybe lucky draw mythril.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Izno posted:

It should be coming out around june 26th approximately. In Japan it included 5 banners. also 3 lucky banners to start it off (medica/guaranteed bsb / imperil ). Each phase was made up of:
4 USB or OSB
6 BSB
2 SSB

you won't see odds like that for a BSB + on any other banner for a long time.

So unless you are chasing some very specific relics like Clouds USSB then the answer is ALL the mythril. You should be saving all the mythril for this. Except maybe lucky draw mythril.

Sounds like a plan. I'd heard it was good but I didn't know it was that good (or that there were that many banners to pull on; I assumed it would be two or three, not eight).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Festivals in this game are pretty darn good. The next major festival after Extreme Fest will be the one currently ongoing in Japan, where there were again 3 Lucky Draws (heal BSBs, BSB/USB/CSBs, and 6 star items), a completely free 30-draw with a guaranteed OSB (pool is all SSBs/BSBs/OSBs), a gem-only banner that lets you select a BSB1 of your choice (with a very few exceptions) afterwards ala Keeper's Choice, and then 5 festival banners, each of which has 4 USBs or CSBs and 10 BSBs. No SSBs in sight.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Prism posted:

Sounds like a plan. I'd heard it was good but I didn't know it was that good (or that there were that many banners to pull on; I assumed it would be two or three, not eight).

Standard fest is 4-5 'normal' (read: really good unless they blow it on the specific item selection) banners, one at a time, over the course of a week-ish. There's sometimes one or more one-pull only half price lucky draws that show up immediately before/after/during. In the case of the upcoming fest, three of them.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

CaptainPsyko posted:

Standard fest is 4-5 'normal' (read: really good unless they blow it on the specific item selection) banners, one at a time, over the course of a week-ish. There's sometimes one or more one-pull only half price lucky draws that show up immediately before/after/during. In the case of the upcoming fest, three of them.

Orbfest is the only one I had done and I figured it was exceptional due to being the anniversary.

How often do fests show up in general?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Prism posted:

Orbfest is the only one I had done and I figured it was exceptional due to being the anniversary.

How often do fests show up in general?

Roughly quarterly.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zurai posted:

Festivals in this game are pretty darn good. The next major festival after Extreme Fest will be the one currently ongoing in Japan, where there were again 3 Lucky Draws (heal BSBs, BSB/USB/CSBs, and 6 star items), a completely free 30-draw with a guaranteed OSB (pool is all SSBs/BSBs/OSBs), a gem-only banner that lets you select a BSB1 of your choice (with a very few exceptions) afterwards ala Keeper's Choice, and then 5 festival banners, each of which has 4 USBs or CSBs and 10 BSBs. No SSBs in sight.

Sounds like there's also ANOTHER banner dropping soon for the Crystal Tower thing, which also sounds like it lets you select a BSB, but the details aren't fully known yet.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Guardbringer is really loving good, y'all.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Servaetes posted:

Guardbringer is really loving good, y'all.

maybe if youre capping out on saints cross really badly... in post BSB world, 4 (at max) elemental attacks at 1.0 potency with no other utility is kind of meh

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 4, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Sounds like there's also ANOTHER banner dropping soon for the Crystal Tower thing, which also sounds like it lets you select a BSB, but the details aren't fully known yet.

There is, but as you say there are roughly zero details on it at the moment so I didn't mention it. The selection part, at the least, is likely to include those BSB1s which are old enough but aren't included on the gem-only banner.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Snazzy Frocks posted:

maybe if youre capping out on saints cross really badly... in post BSB world, 4 (at max) elemental attacks at 1.0 potency with no other utility is kind of meh
:confused:

4.0 potency at regular speed is really strong. I know goons in particular have The BSB Madness but USBs start to get more and more prominent as time goes on, and Guardbringer has incredible DPS for a non-6* honeable ability.

e: Also getting it to 4 hits is trivially easy if you have sentinel or wall

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Snazzy Frocks posted:

You realize that most BSB cmds are only around 2.5 multiplier, right? 4x is better than Cloud's bsb2 cmd1 even if you include the en-wind.

If you have a source of en-holy it deals unparalleled physical damage.

Also, USB + 5* abilities is way better than BSBs, if you have the hones.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
What's the defense requirement to get four hits? Cecil with the +10 defense from his SSB and SG was four hitting it, and he had around 398 thanks to Onion Knight's OSB

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Servaetes posted:

What's the defense requirement to get four hits? Cecil with the +10 defense from his SSB and SG was four hitting it, and he had around 398 thanks to Onion Knight's OSB

2736 DEF after buffs is what you need. Wall, Draw Fire (or Sentinel), and Protect can usually add up to that amount.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Alxprit posted:

2736 DEF after buffs is what you need. Wall, Draw Fire (or Sentinel), and Protect can usually add up to that amount.
Sentinel is actually a 300% buff, so if you have wall OR sentinel (300%), gaia's cross (which everyone who can use guardbringer can use, 200%), and protectga (200%), you can 4-hit it with pretty low defense values.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
^^sentinel (or draw fire/gaia's cross) claims to be +100% (or 200%) defense on enlirs. by my math you'd typically need some +100% def buff, wall (+200%) and protect (+100%) to hit 4 hits unless you have a 6* or better heavy armor with synergy

for me bsb's are my core damage abilities and my skill slots are reserved for utility/medal requirements/soul break building but i'll admit i undervalued the total damage value of guardbringer comparatively

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 4, 2017

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

^^sentinel (or draw fire/gaia's cross) claims to be +100% (or 200%) defense on enlirs. by my math you'd typically need some +100% def buff, wall (+200%) and protect (+100%) to hit 4 hits unless you have a 6* or better heavy armor with synergy

for me bsb's are my core damage abilities and my skill slots are reserved for utility/medal requirements/soul break building but i'll admit i undervalued the total damage value of guardbringer comparatively
Sentinel and draw fire's def boosts stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i just assumed sentinel was that old rear end cecil SB which I'm almost positive you're not referring to that is just draw fire...

e: ah nevermind theres so much poo poo that does similar things with different names, but sentinel status is exclusively granted by SBs right?

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 4, 2017

• Locked thread