Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Akion posted:

At this point I pretty much always go for gusto. Live fast, die young, leave a hideous corpse.

This is the best way to play the game. I've won my fair share of long runs being safe and playing optimally, and there is a time and a place for that, but the most memorable moments and wins come from going full murderbot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Chard posted:

Is there a Steam group yet? I'd be down to team up with goons now and again.

There's a discord and they're active, link is in the op i believe but here as well: https://discord.gg/JuWK5HN

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Dyz posted:

Are you more quiet barefoot?

Tournament stream just put this one to bed. DB levels are the same barefoot or shod. The only difference is the sound sampling used.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Do ballistic face shields provide any armor or are they purely cosmetic?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Dyz posted:

Are you more quiet barefoot?

Short answer is "no" but the sound itself is more in the higher range of the audio spectrum so it gets interfered with by background noise and voice comms and rain sounds and such far far easier than the deep and bassy boot clomping sounds. If it isn't raining then the benefit is marginal at best, personally I just like jumping into the game not wearing anything as part of my elaborate and deeply personal General Butt Naked roleplay.

Javes posted:

No and yes. Only backpacks, helmets and armored vests do things for you.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 4, 2017

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Javes posted:

purely cosmetic, anything not a helmet is purely cosmetic

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

kojei posted:

There's no such thing. Your head is your head. All helmets protect all sides of your head. Ballistic mask is cosmetic.

This is only true of the level 3 helmet. The level 1 and 2 helmets expose your face to unarmored damage.

Javes posted:

Cosmetic. But they are an effective way to make your face less of a hotspot when you haven't found a level 3 helmet.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

il serpente cosmico posted:

I need to get into a goon squad because the squad videos I've seen have all indeed looked like good fun.

Just don't be the guy that is always hiding, unless your entire group is obsessed with hiding. It sucks when you are a person down in a squad of 4 because the person is too busy running off to hide in bushes or corners of houses to actually participate in team fights.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Orikaeshigitae posted:

This is only true of the level 3 helmet. The level 1 and 2 helmets expose your face to unarmored damage.

Debunked in that 'pubg myths' video

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Orikaeshigitae posted:

This is 100% wrong. Quit making up facts. Level 1 and 2 helmets will protect your head hitbox no matter where it is shot.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

boy are my arms tired posted:

There's a discord and they're active, link is in the op i believe but here as well: https://discord.gg/JuWK5HN

Guess I need to learn what the heck Discord is then, thanks

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

Commoners posted:

This is 100% wrong. Quit making up facts. Level 1 and 2 helmets will protect your head hitbox no matter where it is shot.

I got it from beta reports and PC Gamer - maybe it changed at some point.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Chard posted:

Guess I need to learn what the heck Discord is then, thanks

its pretty good and intuitive, you'll get used to it easily if you're used to fiddling with poo poo like irc

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Orikaeshigitae posted:

it was never changed, people are just dumb

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Watching the invitational, and I don't think PUBG is ready for eSports just quite yet

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Orikaeshigitae posted:

it has literally never been true.

e: lmao at using pc loving gamer as a source for anything

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

taqueso posted:

Debunked in that 'pubg myths' video

Can you provide a link? The only one I can find only tests ballistic masks.

e: Here we go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCQulQtwzFY

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

No and yes. Only backpacks, helmets and armored vests do things for you.

The utility belt everyone starts with also increases your carrying capacity, so you do want to always have that equipped

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Studio posted:

Watching the invitational, and I don't think PUBG is ready for eSports just quite yet

Yeah, the player perspective spectating still loving sucks. Its pretty cool for this charity event but I don't see this making it big as an esport. I don't know how you'd make it interesting or competative enough to watch.

Also: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - DISCORD IN THE FUCKIN OP

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Orikaeshigitae posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7RYd7W5Ocg

This video shows a number of things, such as what provides carrying capacity (its vests, backpacks, and utility belts only), ballistic mask protection, and a bunch of other good stuff to know.

There is even a description of all the tested stuff in the video and the times in the video:

Does the ballistics mask act as face armor? 0:26
Does grass stop rendering at a distance where players are still visible? 0:35
What about smoke from smoke grenades? 1:01
Can you cook a flash bang in your hand until it explodes? 1:11
What about smoke grenades? 1:24
Molotovs? 1:34
Frag Grenades? 1:44
Does friendly fire do less damage than normal? 1:55
Do arrows shot into your head block your first person view? 2:03
Do backpacks make your hitbox bigger? 2:20
Do clothing items allow you to carry more loot? 2:30
Does a superman punch deal more damage than a regular punch? 2:55
Does the pan block bullets? 3:06
What about arrows? 3:15
What about other melee weapons? 3:20

Also it links to a super sperg post on some forum: https://forums.tiny-spaceship.com/t/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-an-ocd-thread/25/2

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 4, 2017

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

Orikaeshigitae posted:

e: Here we go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCQulQtwzFY

I like this guy's approach a lot. This one's about weapon damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dpD6Lqt9xQ

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Knifegrab posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7RYd7W5Ocg

This video shows a number of things, such as what provides carrying capacity (its vests, backpacks, and utility belts only), ballistic mask protection, and a bunch of other good stuff to know.

There is even a description of all the tested stuff in the video and the times in the video:

Does the ballistics mask act as face armor? 0:26
Does grass stop rendering at a distance where players are still visible? 0:35
What about smoke from smoke grenades? 1:01
Can you cook a flash bang in your hand until it explodes? 1:11
What about smoke grenades? 1:24
Molotovs? 1:34
Frag Grenades? 1:44
Does friendly fire do less damage than normal? 1:55
Do arrows shot into your head block your first person view? 2:03
Do backpacks make your hitbox bigger? 2:20
Do clothing items allow you to carry more loot? 2:30
Does a superman punch deal more damage than a regular punch? 2:55
Does the pan block bullets? 3:06
What about arrows? 3:15
What about other melee weapons? 3:20

Also it links to a super sperg post on some forum: https://forums.tiny-spaceship.com/t/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-an-ocd-thread/25/2

can i get these answers in a bullet format not-gonna-watch-that-video-because-i'm-lazy style list of answers please?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Fauxshiz posted:

Yeah, the player perspective spectating still loving sucks. Its pretty cool for this charity event but I don't see this making it big as an esport. I don't know how you'd make it interesting or competative enough to watch.

Also: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - DISCORD IN THE FUCKIN OP

I didn't watch the early game which is probably more fun, but full knowledge totally kills the tension at the end as well.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Carebearz posted:

can i get these answers in a bullet format not-gonna-watch-that-video-because-i'm-lazy style list of answers please?

no
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
no
yes
no
utility belts and chest armor, yes, nothing else
yes
yes
yes
no

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Carebearz posted:

Does the ballistics mask act as face armor? No
Does grass stop rendering at a distance where players are still visible? Yes
What about smoke from smoke grenades? Yes - both at about >100m distance
Can you cook a flash bang in your hand until it explodes? Yes - but it doesn't blind you
What about smoke grenades? Yes
Molotovs? Yes
Frag Grenades? Yes
Does friendly fire do less damage than normal? No - full damage
Do arrows shot into your head block your first person view? Yes, but you'd be dead anyway
Do backpacks make your hitbox bigger? No - just your visual appearence
Do clothing items allow you to carry more loot? No - only backpacks, utility belts, and body armour
Does a superman punch deal more damage than a regular punch? Yep - about twice as much
Does the pan block bullets? Yes
What about arrows? Yes
What about other melee weapons? No - only the pan blocks bullets

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The loving caster audio bugging out is the worst part of watching the tournament.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

Futuresight posted:

The loving caster audio bugging out is the worst part of watching the tournament.

aw, i thought it was just me. it is really bad

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
What do you duo-gods think about these teams looting houses together?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Studio posted:

I didn't watch the early game which is probably more fun, but full knowledge totally kills the tension at the end as well.

It wasn't for the first game because it's 32 duos, and not 50. Everyone got at least one housing cluster to themselves to start. They tried to spice it up by offering a 1080 to the player who gets the most kills over 3 rounds, but a lot of the players got picked because they're popular and not because of their sicknasty no scopes necessarily.

I disagree though, I really like what the spectator tools offer as an all seeing eye. I appreciate the tension of the dramatic irony of seeing everything and knowing just how much you're screwing up on a map-wide scale.

The spectator tool definitely needs refinement (especially 1st person which is just busted) but I like where they started.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 4, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fauxshiz posted:

What do you duo-gods think about these teams looting houses together?

youll die to a grenade together while being undergeared and clipping each other so you cant move

i dont recommend

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

youll die to a grenade together while being undergeared and clipping each other so you cant move

i dont recommend

At the same time don't do what my squads seem to be addicted to doing, looting random houses across pochinki and yasnaya, leaving 2-3 blocks in between you and the fun game of guessing if they left the doors open on two houses sandwiching an untouched house, or if there's another squad in between both of you.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

The audio thing is getting worse!

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Studio posted:

Yeah I think they need some kinda algorithm to determine if poo poo is gonna go down (I'm not a mathematician, there's probably a way right?) and then spectate one person of that firefight. Also multiple spectators for the secondary firefights/instant replays of other parts of the fight/other fights/sweet snipes/cool kills.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

some goons are obsessed with looting the same house even in squads. Its always very fun to watch on our way to imminent death

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Who thought these two casting was a good idea christ. Also Forsen going for the island run and the commentator choosing to ignore it was the best :getin:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Goons who come in my house while I'm looting drive me nuts. Unless we are house camping or I've told you there's an item you might want, just don't do it. I guess the other circumstance would be during a hot drop situation when there's enemies nearby.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Hobnob posted:

Does the ballistics mask act as face armor? No
Does grass stop rendering at a distance where players are still visible? Yes
What about smoke from smoke grenades? Yes - both at about >100m distance
Can you cook a flash bang in your hand until it explodes? Yes - but it doesn't blind you
What about smoke grenades? Yes
Molotovs? Yes
Frag Grenades? Yes
Does friendly fire do less damage than normal? No - full damage
Do arrows shot into your head block your first person view? Yes, but you'd be dead anyway
Do backpacks make your hitbox bigger? No - just your visual appearence
Do clothing items allow you to carry more loot? No - only backpacks, utility belts, and body armour
Does a superman punch deal more damage than a regular punch? Yep - about twice as much
Does the pan block bullets? Yes
What about arrows? Yes
What about other melee weapons? No - only the pan blocks bullets
thanks, i owe you one guilt free handy-j

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Carebearz posted:

thanks, i owe you one guilt free handy-j

That's the worst kind though

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That's the worst kind though
I mean, it'll be hella enthusiastic and NSA so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

does anyone else see other players gun flashes through buildings, doors, and hills? cause i do and it's confusing and i feel like im cheating since it gives away where you are

• Locked thread