Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

fish and chips and dip posted:

GTA San Andreas is the best GTA game ever, yes, better than even 5 and Vice City.

No, that's a popular game opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fish and chips and dip posted:

GTA San Andreas is the best GTA game ever, yes, better than even 5 and Vice City.

GTA: London is the pinnacle of the series

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Robokomodo posted:

No, that's a popular game opinion.

Is it? I've always been derided when I shared that opinion. Maybe I need better friends?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Okami was a better game than any Zelda game that preceded it.

Probably any that came later, too, but I haven't played those.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

GTA is trash. It only exists because people want to be edgy and murder people.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

VideoTapir posted:

Okami was a better game than any Zelda game that preceded it.

Incorrect. Okami was one of the best looking games, but the actual gameplay sucked. And you have to wade through like an hour of that bug taking to you before you even get to the gameplay.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Uncharted has terrible characters, a terrible story and terrible gameplay. The environments look nice I guess.

Same for Uncharted 2.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Tiberian Sun is the best C&C game.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Overwatch is the worst multiplayer shooter I've ever played. The game becomes a little more playable after you mute character voices however.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

I have aids now.

Simpsons season 4 is the best lol if you like taco bell.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Smythe posted:

This is way true.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Disgusting Coward posted:

Stuff...

Clockwork Empires

more stuff

Clockwork empires is garbage. The interface is a mess and nothing works the way i would expect it to (you know... intuitively)

Unless there has been a patch recently (nope, not even going to bother to open steam to see the last time i played) that overhauls every god drat thing, it will remain garbage.

It is straight up unfun. (and i still play archeage, sometimes)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Dongicus posted:

Overwatch is the worst multiplayer shooter I've ever played. The game becomes a little more playable after you mute character voices however.

My opinion spawned by overwatch is that no game should have voice or text chat unless you actually choose to. You can't do anything in that stupid game without getting called various slurs and being asked to leave. I'm like level 3 leave me alone.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My opinion spawned by overwatch is that no game should have voice or text chat unless you actually choose to. You can't do anything in that stupid game without getting called various slurs and being asked to leave. I'm like level 3 leave me alone.

Start tanking the game on puroose when that happens.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Smythe posted:

I agree.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Tell them you're using an Xbox controller.

A xbox 360 controller.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

video games are for smelly man children with mental problems

wait no that's not unpopular

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I saw someone say David Sirlin is good and this is veritably false. No one who dislikes Third Strike has good opinions on anything.

Also Tuxedo Catfish is extremely right about there being a necessity for difficulty wrt to inputs for fighting games. With no skill curve, there's nothing to practice. I'm very certain anyone here complaining about fighting game inputs would lose not because of the difficulty of the inputs but from a very basic misunderstanding of the genre itself. It doesn't matter if a combo or super is hard to input if you don't understand the first thing about spacing, footsies, meaties, shimmies, fake-outs, safe-jumps, high-low- and side-to-side mix-ups, and cross-ups.

Inputs aren't even really that hard if you practice one hour a day. Even older games without input shortcuts still have tricks for making execution easier. You can plink on a controller if you practice the motions for a few minutes a day. Newer games often have input short-cuts (SF IV had 3, 3 --> for Shoryukens), easier windows for timing combos, and have removed exceedingly annoying inputs. I heartily lmbo at anyone complaining about a shoryuken being difficult if they've never touched a delta-charge (Old Guile), pretzel (Geese) , or whatever the gently caress K9999 has (literally frame-perfect input for 4646464646464646 C). KOF XIV actually has easier execution for most of its supers since they allow the super inputs to over lap with normal/special inputs.

Games that remove these perceived "needless" execution barriers have nothing going for them and die very very quickly. Rising Thunder prided itself on single button special moves to make things more accessible to newbies but the old FGC guard still destroyed at that game because you can't magically give newbies awareness and reaction times on par with people who have been throwing fireballs for 5+ years. Then when all the newbies stopped playing all the old guard FGC stopped too because the game had nothing to it beyond "PERFECTLY TIME THIS ONE BUTTON INPUT". The game felt more like people waiting around to use their special moves than anyone actually fighting. Meanwhile UMVC3 greatly simplified inputs for supers and special moves and still managed to be quite deep even with poo poo like LvL3 X-Factor Vergil running amok.

Back to the first point though. David Sirlin sucks. Yomi sucks. And this (made by David Sirlin using Yomi as base) sucks especially: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fENgvKRqMKA

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve Batmans posted:

I saw someone say David Sirlin is good and this is veritably false. No one who dislikes Third Strike has good opinions on anything.

David Sirlin sucks. Yomi sucks. And this (made by David Sirlin using Yomi as base) sucks especially:

David Sirlin basically just steals content off of boardgamegeek message boards and publishes them as original ideas

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

David Sirlin basically just steals content off of boardgamegeek message boards and publishes them as original ideas

Especially this. I can't recall how many hackneyed changes I saw in SF II HDR that were basically stolen from suggestions made at various boards Sirlin posted on. However, it turned out to be good as a proof of concept in showing that people who play fighting games professionally have no business designing them. There's more to these games than just their mechanics. If you can't make a game that has an appreciable but workable power difference between characters because you want to cater to newbies all day who can't do shoryu's then you are approaching fighting game design from the completely wrong direction. All the best games have difficult concepts at all levels and sometimes downright broken poo poo at their highest levels. This doesn't even apply just to fighting games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve Batmans posted:

Especially this. I can't recall how many hackneyed changes I saw in SF II HDR that were basically stolen from suggestions made at various boards Sirlin posted on. However, it turned out to be good as a proof of concept in showing that people who play fighting games professionally have no business designing them. There's more to these games than just their mechanics. If you can't make a game that has an appreciable but workable power difference between characters because you want to cater to newbies all day who can't do shoryu's then you are approaching fighting game design from the completely wrong direction. All the best games have difficult concepts at all levels and sometimes downright broken poo poo at their highest levels. This doesn't even apply just to fighting games.

i think David Sirlin illustrates your point best

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Grevling posted:

GTA is trash. It only exists because people want to be edgy and murder people.

I can assure you the desire to murder does not come from wanting to appear "edgy"

VC was the best to play for the first time in real time but SA has the most replayability, partly for the RPG mechanics I decried when it came out.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I've never played the GTA 3/Vice City "Stories" because gently caress that noise

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

i think David Sirlin illustrates your point best

Lol did Sirlin make this himself? How this soft-r n-word gonna be all "Oh you need deep and balanced game-play to attract the hardcore crowd" and then make this VG adaptation the slowest and least satisfying-looking thing I've seen since Timekillers or Masters of the Tera Kasi.

Can the man even follow his own advice?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

The Dennis System posted:

Incorrect. Okami was one of the best looking games, but the actual gameplay sucked. And you have to wade through like an hour of that bug taking to you before you even get to the gameplay.

Wrong, and no different from 3D Zelda games.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
There was almost no good music on the Sega Genesis after 1992.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nintendo switch is the best console ever because it maximizes the amount of time you can game. no more taking a break from a game while you take a poo poo, just take it with you

Bust Rodd posted:

Low-Key unpopular Opinion:

Halo was/is a cancer on the FPS genre and specifically weapon limits//regenerating health shields just loving stonewalled game design for 5-10 years. The storyline looped back and forth between cool & trash so many times that even diehard fans concede it got stupid and bad, and despite being a game about fighting monsters in outer space, all the weapons are just purple//black versions of earth guns. Like, the needler is just a SMG etc... Afterwards every FPS game has needed vehicles and shields and it got to the point where I just couldnt tell shooters accept the Last of us Multi
it's a shame that this is an unpopular opinion because it's true. only recently have FPS games started to leave behind the horrible Halo model

Disgusting Coward posted:

Slowbeef is a pompous doof and his voice makes me genuinely angry. Like he might be the nicest guy in the world and dispensing bon mots like Pez, but that atonal squall he calls a speaking voice makes me want to wedgie his entire family.
slowbeef was a horrible mod for the LP forum and i'm amazed at how long he stayed in that position. he discouraged blind LPs but also made a Metroid Prime Trilogy LP where he spent more than half the time not knowing what he was doing. and as bad as pewdiepie is, slowbeef's fixation with him reeked of jealousy that someone figured out how to monetize video LPs

the only reason to watch anything he does is if Diabeetus is with him, who is charming, funny, and has a good accent

edit: also he streamed Mother 3 a couple of times while looking over his infant son who was crying the whole way through, so presumably he's a bad father too

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 4, 2017

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Halo single player was good. Halo multiplayer sucked.

People who came to TFC from Halo were awful. I thought Counterstrike was making GBS threads up the player pool until Halo came along.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Super Mario Galaxy is, in fact, the greatest game ever made.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Super Mario Galaxy is, in fact, the greatest game ever made.
super mario galaxy is very good. super mario galaxy 2 was the greatest game ever made

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Wasteland 2 is better than Fallout 3. Haven't played 4, but from what I've heard about it, probably better than that, too.

Rage was really good, even if it was like half a game.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Mass Effect 3 is good.

Not as good as Mass Effect 2, but not the horrible let down everyone said it was. That being said I only played with the extended cut ending.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Outpost22 posted:

Mass Effect 3 is good.

Not as good as Mass Effect 2, but not the horrible let down everyone said it was. That being said I only played with the extended cut ending.

"Cheppird, we can CONTROL the Reapers!" *dramatic Darth Vader fist squeeze*

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
did anyone say I enjoyed Xen yet

Xen was good

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

phasmid posted:

"Cheppird, we can CONTROL the Reapers!" *dramatic Darth Vader fist squeeze*

indoctrination theory

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

The Protagonist posted:

did anyone say I enjoyed Xen yet

Xen was good
I think I mightve in my first post way back

Xen's the poo poo I love Xen

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Every single Doom has a better written and more interesting plot than half life or half life 2

This includes the novelisations, comic books and that one strategy guide that says "shoot it until it dies"

outerw
Oct 22, 2012
The Force Unleashed 2 had better gameplay than TFU1, and was more fun to play. The story was terrible in both 1 and 2.

More Star Wars opinions: Dark forces was too labyrinthine and I got lost for hours in the sewer level. Jedi Knight is now too clunky and ugly to play. JK2 is fine, but is surpassed by Jedi Academy.

Starfighter is more fun than Rogue Squadron and I wish they ported the sequel to pc.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I've never played Final Fantasy anything because the setting doesn't appeal to me :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I've never played Final Fantasy anything because the setting doesn't appeal to me :shrug:

Erm...they all have different settings.