Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm actually trying to pay attention this time, and this ain't bad, really. Maybe it was just because it's a little breather where THB get to gently caress around a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That was really sweet and funny. When Barry was The Lover, I'd assumed it was Lup. Heterocentric me! I do really really want to get back to the format where the boys are interacting with each other more.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That was really sweet and funny. When Barry was The Lover, I'd assumed it was Lup. Heterocentric me! I do really really want to get back to the format where the boys are interacting with each other more.

I don't think it was that bad of a miscall given The red robes big freak out, crying out to Lup and going nuts when he figured out she was dead/the umbrella. Honestly this kind of just feels like a Zag for Zag's sake given that and I was hoping it'd give Griffo an excuse to actually flesh Lup's character out some more but this is fine too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't think it was that bad of a miscall given The red robes big freak out, crying out to Lup and going nuts when he figured out she was dead/the umbrella. Honestly this kind of just feels like a Zag for Zag's sake given that and I was hoping it'd give Griffo an excuse to actually flesh Lup's character out some more but this is fine too.

To be fair It's not like Barry wasn't really close with Lup too. I mean, I'd be pretty freaked out if any number of my female friends had their soul trapped in an umbrella and I have no desire to bone down on them. I honestly kinda like any story where a dude can just care about a lady and it's just because they're friends.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

sexpig by night posted:

I honestly kinda like any story where a dude can just care about a lady and it's just because they're friends.

Cosigned. Pacific Rim for the eternal win.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

To be fair It's not like Barry wasn't really close with Lup too. I mean, I'd be pretty freaked out if any number of my female friends had their soul trapped in an umbrella and I have no desire to bone down on them. I honestly kinda like any story where a dude can just care about a lady and it's just because they're friends.

I mean I get that and mostly agree but also I was kind of hoping there'd be at least a straight couple of note in the story because Griffin's kind of leaned heavily on LGBT+ while also not always handling them super well. I've said it before but the fact that Griffin decided to make make Lup trans and then maker her personality as close to Taako's as possible still doesn't sit 100% well with me since it feels like he was doing it to have an excuse to get to do the funny Taako voice himself. So I was kind of interested in seeing Griffo handling an interpersonal story that was a bit closer to home for him cause there's tiny bit of ham handed-ness with LGBT characters in the story so far. Nothing that makes me dislike it, but enough that they all kind of sit awkwardly in the writing.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Doesn't this episode just confirm Barry/Lup?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kmzh posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Doesn't this episode just confirm Barry/Lup?

Yeah that's what I thought too

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

I mean I get that and mostly agree but also I was kind of hoping there'd be at least a straight couple of note in the story because Griffin's kind of leaned heavily on LGBT+ while also not always handling them super well.

But Barry and Lup are a straight couple?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, I genuinely don't know how you can interpret that conversation as anything other than Taako figuring out that Barry has a thing for Lup and giving him his blessing, and a little push.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and this episode was anreal banger. I was crying with laughter during the part where Merle was giving out his horrible gifts.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

But Barry and Lup are a straight couple?

Lmao you're right. I hadn't finished the Episode and assumed the poster I was reading was telling the truth but MAN I apologize.

Teach me to trust the 'reading' comprehension of random goons.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This episode was basically what the arc should've been from the start and sorta impresses how little I actually care about this podcast's plot. gently caress that was great and basically had the level of character interaction/development that was sorely lacking up to this point.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also heck Magnus and Julia for that matter. If that's not 'of note' I don't know what is

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I dunno if i call magnus and Julia so much a relationship as I would a plot device. They've spent literally half of one scene together. It informs magnus sure, but again- more of a plot device than a relationship per se.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Well by that logic there has never been a fictional relationship.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

purple death ray posted:

Also heck Magnus and Julia for that matter. If that's not 'of note' I don't know what is

She's not a character in the story and had all of 2 lines. She's a dead wife used to explain a character's call to action. She's a plot device, not a character and deffo not a relationship the story spends time ruminating on.

Not that the chalice scene wasn't amazing and emotional, she's just not actually a character as far as the story cares.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

She's not a character in the story and had all of 2 lines. She's a dead wife used to explain a character's call to action. She's a plot device, not a character and deffo not a relationship the story spends time ruminating on.

Not that the chalice scene wasn't amazing and emotional, she's just not actually a character as far as the story cares.

Then who on the show counts as a 'real' relationship? All of these characters and all of their interactions are ultimately plot devices.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

purple death ray posted:

Then who on the show counts as a 'real' relationship? All of these characters and all of their interactions are ultimately plot devices.

Taako and Kravitz come to mind. They both have large speaking roles which allow them to develop into full characters. Magnus is the same, but Julia is not. There's very little to her beyond "Magnus' dead wife," and while that's not neccesarily a bad thing, it does mean that their relationship is not very fleshed out. That's ok because the relationship itself is not important to the story, but rather its effect on Magnus.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ariong posted:

Taako and Kravitz come to mind. They both have large speaking roles which allow them to develop into full characters. Magnus is the same, but Julia is not. There's very little to her beyond "Magnus' dead wife," and while that's not neccesarily a bad thing, it does mean that their relationship is not very fleshed out. That's ok because the relationship itself is not important to the story, but rather its effect on Magnus.

I'd even argue the other Bureau of Balance cast counts towards that because they're reoccurring and have had active parts of the plot and still are part of the story when they don't (Magnus's rogue training bringing him closer to Kobold rogue informing character reactions to his death and their whole convo upon his revival.)

I don't think it's that big of a jump to say there's a substantial difference in relationships/characterization with characters like Carey, Killian, and Ango and the people who exist only in the characters backstories like Julia or Merle's ex-wife.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ariong posted:

Well by that logic there has never been a fictional relationship.

There are fictional relationships all the time, but the audience has to experience them for them to have emotional resonance. As it stand Julia is a way to inform how Magnus is, ie a plot device, and if you want we can go all in on the trend of fridging but suffice to say its pretty much the perfect example of fridging- a woman with otherwise no agency dies to give character growth to a man she's closely involved with. I personally find it okay but empirically speaking its pretty capital p Problematic.

Relationships, essentially, require characters with agency and motivations on both sides. Julia is barely a character in the story as written and certainly doesn't have any agency or motivations. She exists to die to inform how Magnus currently is. And that's fine! If you listen to stolen century Travis is playing Magnus as a sort of full of himself smug dick (probably reflecting how Travisviews how he was before he met teresa) and if you compare it to current widower magnus, who is a much nicer and compassionate person, it seems like a deliberate character choice.

Still doesn't really make Julia more of a character than she is or their relationship into more than a plot device.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 4, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Huh. I'll have to relisten. I really took that as Barry hitting on Taako.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I thought Jonah was plenty funny despite the boring zombie questions!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. I'll have to relisten. I really took that as Barry hitting on Taako.

The person Barry was most concerned about embarrassing himself in front of was Lup.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

There are fictional relationships all the time, but the audience has to experience them for them to have emotional resonance. As it stand Julia is a way to inform how Magnus is, ie a plot device, and if you want we can go all in on the trend of fridging but suffice to say its pretty much the perfect example of fridging- a woman with otherwise no agency dies to give character growth to a man she's closely involved with. I personally find it okay but empirically speaking its pretty capital p Problematic.

Relationships, essentially, require characters with agency and motivations on both sides. Julia is barely a character in the story as written and certainly doesn't have any agency or motivations. She exists to die to inform how Magnus currently is. And that's fine! If you listen to stolen century Travis is playing Magnus as a sort of full of himself smug dick (probably reflecting how Travisviews how he was before he met teresa) and if you compare it to current widower magnus, who is a much nicer and compassionate person, it seems like a deliberate character choice.

Still doesn't really make Julia more of a character than she is or their relationship into more than a plot device.

I gotcha now. Agreed.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You're not wrong, Julia is about as fridged as you get. But they do address that in the last ttazz where Travis reveals it doesn't actually have to do with Teresa but with how Travis was affected when the brothers lost their birth mother.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Paramount just releases some tickets for the Austin TAZ/MBMBAM shows.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

kmzh posted:

Paramount just releases some tickets for the Austin TAZ/MBMBAM shows.
holy poo poo thank you for posting this

e: gently caress yeah I'm going. This is like the one weekend I'm gonna be in Austin for ages so I am feeling wicked lucky right now.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 4, 2017

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
m a g n u s . . . . . . . . .

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The Adventure Zone boys don't necessarily get a lot of praise for their acting ability, but Griffin's performance as Barry near the end of the latest episode was really nice. The delivery of

:rolleyes: "Oh, we- I, uh, I dunno about in love. It's only been tw- um..."
:ohdear: "t-twenty-one years..."

was really spot-on.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This episode was lovely.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
A good episode from good boys.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I was loving around in beamng.drive and I think I found a way to kill the blob, or at the very least permanently imprison it in an endless hell-loop. Just crash a car into a tree at a crazy angle and then replace it with the blob. It will clip through the ground and then spasm/respawn/spasm/respawn/spasm/respawn forever.

(god this is legitimately hard to look at)

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

showbiz_liz posted:

I was loving around in beamng.drive and I think I found a way to kill the blob, or at the very least permanently imprison it in an endless hell-loop. Just crash a car into a tree at a crazy angle and then replace it with the blob. It will clip through the ground and then spasm/respawn/spasm/respawn/spasm/respawn forever.

(god this is legitimately hard to look at)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=751mxHpHdlo

edit: them boys at it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O78Bz01QtZc

Chibs fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 5, 2017

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The new cars boys is the best one in a few weeks.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh god the new hanging tether points are going to do so much for this series. I want to see them ram trucks into hanging cars.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here already, but the top comment on the Some Sort of Digital Heaven video is Polygon saying "this is canon" and they added it to the Car Boys playlist.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I sort of enjoyed Griffin's rant about names of zombies that aren't zombies.

:same:

TWD calls them "walkers," right? How much of a less intimidating name could you pick?

Regarding some TAZ stuff I saw mentioned in spoilers: When did it get established that Lup became the umbrella?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

When it took control and spelled out LUP on the wall.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qrlfM6VUX4

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

:same:

TWD calls them "walkers," right? How much of a less intimidating name could you pick?

Regarding some TAZ stuff I saw mentioned in spoilers: When did it get established that Lup became the umbrella?

It hasn't been outright stated, but it has been heavily implied. We know that the umbrella was Lup's, as was the skeleton they looted it off of. ("You found her?!") We know that there is an undead presence in the umbrella. ("Taako, there's something here.") We know that the umbrella, or whatever is inside of it, has a mind of its own. ("What is L-U-P?")

All these clues, plus what we know from the latest arc, lead to the conclusion that Lup is haunting the umbra staff, and has been from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ariong posted:

Lup is haunting the umbra staff, and has been from the beginning.
I don't think she's haunting it. I think she's in it, aware, and eating magic items to stay alive. She's a lich, after all.