Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I should rewatch Mars Attacks. It didn't traumatize me like it apparently did many children, not sure why. Movies like T2 and Matinee instilled me with a deep fear of nuclear war though...after the Cold War had already ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I come to read the animation thread, and I stumble with goons younger than me whining about being traumatized by Mars Attacks?

Kids,my parents allowed me to watch movies like Aliens or Cronenberg's The Fly :psyduck: I'm surprised I'm not that mentally broken.

Edit:

dirksteadfast posted:

Movies like T2 and Matinee instilled me with a deep fear of nuclear war though...after the Cold War had already ended.

The first terminator movie scared the poo poo of me because of some of the gory scenes, T2 was cool and actually made me uneasy because of the whole nuclear bomb thing as well.

And talking about animation, my dad rented Animal Farm when I was a little kid, the 50's animated movie, gently caress. Thanks dad for making your daughter sad about seeing sheep,cute pigs and this cartoon horse getting killed because politics.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 4, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I grew up completely well-adjusted so I don't think any movie traumatised me as a kid :smugdog:

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The book Home is based on is great, and it sucks that Home is now so much more well-known.

dirksteadfast posted:

Movies like T2 and Matinee instilled me with a deep fear of nuclear war though...after the Cold War had already ended.

It sure is a good thing that the nuclear powers aren't silently, angrily trying to outcompete each other anymore!

poo poo we're all hosed

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the best thing about don bluth films is watching all the ridiculous rotoscoping of background characters in every shot

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

I personally can watch movies involving the large scale death of the human race because it's what I lust for
I mean, all the lions get blown up with

Humanity's usually the one species that barely survives

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Desperado Bones posted:

I come to read the animation thread, and I stumble with goons younger than me whining about being traumatized by Mars Attacks?

Kids,my parents allowed me to watch movies like Aliens or Cronenberg's The Fly :psyduck: I'm surprised I'm not that mentally broken.

Edit:

The first terminator movie scared the poo poo of me because of some of the gory scenes, T2 was cool and actually made me uneasy because of the whole nuclear bomb thing as well.

And talking about animation, my dad rented Animal Farm when I was a little kid, the 50's animated movie, gently caress. Thanks dad for making your daughter sad about seeing sheep,cute pigs and this cartoon horse getting killed because politics.

:):hf::)

My mom loves horror movies and my dad hates them, so my mom watched them with her children. The two movies I saw in theaters in 1992 were Aladdin and Alien 3. I was 4. The summer I turned 10, I watched Alien nearly every day so I could do a parody comic on it. The crew of the Nostromo were just a bunch of assholes loving each other over while the Xenomorph tried to avoid them.
Childhood was good.
And Watership Down still remains my favorite animated film though my VHS copy is 20 years dead.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Das Boo posted:

The summer I turned 10, I watched Alien nearly every day so I could do a parody comic on it. The crew of the Nostromo were just a bunch of assholes loving each other over while the Xenomorph tried to avoid them.

That sounds amazing and I kind of want to read it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
http://deadline.com/2017/05/kung-fu-panda-fraud-sentence-two-years-prison-1202083366/

quote:

‘Kung Fu Panda’ Hoaxer Gets 2-Year Prison Term In $12M Fraud Scheme

Jamye Gordon, who attempted to defraud DreamWorks Animation out of more than $12 million in a hamfisted scheme in which he falsely claimed that he was the creator of Kung Fu Panda, has been sentenced to two years in federal prison and ordered to pay $3 million in restitution.

RelatedFake 'Kung Fu Panda' Creator Found Guilty Of Fraud & Perjury; Faces 25 Years In Jail
In 2008, several months before the movie’s release, Gordon saw a trailer for Kung Fu Panda. He’d previously created some drawings and a story about pandas, which he called Panda Power, that bore little resemblance to the characters in the movie. But after seeing the trailer, he revised his drawings and story and renamed it Kung Fu Panda Power.

“He made these revisions as part of his scheme so that his work would appear to be more similar to the DreamWorks pandas he had seen in the movie trailer,” the U.S. Attorney’s office said.

In February 2011, Gordon filed a copyright infringement suit against DreamWorks Animation in U.S. District Court in Massachusetts. Later that year, he proposed that DWA agree to settle the suit by paying him $12 million. The company rejected that proposal, and the litigation continued for another two years.

During the course of the civil litigation, which cost DWA $3 million in legal fees, Gordon intentionally deleted relevant evidence on his computer that he was required to produce in discovery and lied during his civil deposition, federal prosecutors said. He also fabricated and backdated sketches that served as support for his suit.

The full nature of Gordon’s scheme came to light when DreamWorks discovered that Gordon had traced some of his panda drawings from a Disney Lion King coloring book.

He was indicted in December 2015, and a federal jury convicted him of fraud and perjury in November. Gordon, who had faced up to 25 years in prison, was sentenced today by U.S. District Court Judge Patti Saris.

Way to crush the little guy big animation corporation.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 4, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How do you trace a panda from a Lion King coloring book?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

:laffo: at changing the name of your production just so you can sue somebody

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Original characters do not steal

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Has pictures of his traces

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/law/cartoonist-faces-25-years-prison-failed-kung-fu-panda-lawsuit-128973.html

Those would make great AVs people

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Waffleman_ posted:

How do you trace a panda from a Lion King coloring book?

I'm guessing it was a Timon & Pumbaa's Adventures colouring book.

E: beaten

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Suddenly reminded of that article a few months ago about guy who claimed he invented Zootopia for Disney a decade prior to it being a thing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
B-but Zootopia's a true story, right? :ohdear:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just replace all the animal species with races.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Eh, it's one of those 'true stories' where they fictionalized it. In reality Judy and Nick never became friends and the character of Clawhauser was made up entirely for the movie to create a 'friendly' predator and hide the police department's institutionalized racism more heavily.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I want to see a remake of Hidden Figures set in the Zootopia world

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember my babysitter rented Scream when it came out so she could watch it and then she rented me a movie to watch alone upstairs. It was Mars Attacks and ho boy did it gently caress me over for a while. I didn't realize it was a comedy for like a decade.

Oh man, Mars Attacks! And the 90's remake of The Blob scared the poo poo out of me as a child. For some reason, though, I couldn't get enough of the Aliens movies and Predator.

EDIT: probably because a dog dies in Mars Attacks! And a kid dies in The Blob. Two things that are supposed to be safe in movies!

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 4, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Also, In The Heat Of The Night

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I walked in on my mom watching Akira when I was about 5. Was right around losing control flesh baby time. Good dreams followed for months.

I was a wimp as a child though. I remember the Itchy and Scratchy shorts from the Simpsons used to scare me.

I also killed my hanging ivy plant in my room after watching Little Barbershop of Horror.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I think I saw Aliens (the cameron one) when I was 9. I thought it was pretty cool.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I saw Total Recall when I was like 7, that was rad!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Shaocaholica posted:

I think I saw Aliens (the cameron one) when I was 9. I thought it was pretty cool.

I was 5 when I saw it :smug: I still remember the alien queen fight and me screaming and trying to hide under a blanket my mother brought to the movie teather for me (the A/C was brutally cold for a small child).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Hedrigall posted:

In reality Trump won.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Fam, what's your favourite audio commentary on an animated film?

Fangz posted:

In reality Trump won.

What's reality? :shepface:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fangz posted:

In reality Trump won.

Despite being a rhino...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

It's the really boring movie with few musical numbers.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Several C-spam avatars have convinced me that Trump's first a is a lion, so Hedrigall should be pro-Trump imo.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

The only audio commentary for an a animated movie I've seen was for The lion King, where the director and lead writer awkwardly acknowledged Nala's bedroom eyes.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

The only audio commentary for an a animated movie I've seen was for The lion King, where the director and lead writer awkwardly acknowledged Nala's bedroom eyes.

I know what I'm watching tonight!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I want to hear them admit what they did :catbert:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btUx3gb0-FE
:sweatdrop: No, no no, but in Eddie's defense, they draw them really sexy.......because Robin Hood was quite sexy...

:haw: We've got Robin Hood, there he is and that tunic is worn very low I noticed, hmm, he's packin'

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 4, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I remember watching the scene in Jurassic Park when Dennis Nedry gets eaten by a Dilophosaurus at a Christmas party when I was 4. I thought it was awesome :v:

My sister unfortunately still hates dinosaurs.

Edit:

Hedrigall posted:

The one that comes to mine is The Iron Giant, since they talked a lot about how they tried to evoke the feeling of the period throughout the work. As a history guy, it was really fascinating stuff to listen to, especially since so many of the technical details are spot-on.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 4, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think my earliest memory of watching a movie is seeing that scene in Terminator 2 where Arnie cuts his arm open.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Don't get me wrong, I watched the hell out of Jurassic Park, Predator, and Tremors. But the kid brain just doesn't get a choice in what freaks you out and Mars Attacks did me in.

Jurassic Park did give me nightmares for a while. I remember one where raptors attacked my school. I jumped in front of my friend to save him and then seeing my severed head roll down a drainage ditch. Didn't stop me from wearing out that Jurasic Park VHS.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
One of the earliest and most vivid nightmares I can remember is one where Godzilla was attacking the city, and my house was a helicopter (Literally my house just with a rotor on the roof and landing skids), and it was my job to fix it because he was supposed to be my friend. I instead decided to hide under the living room table with the dog.

welp that's my story

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

I want to hear them admit what they did :catbert:

Verbatim quote from one of them: "that's one sexy cat".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Desperado Bones posted:

I was 5 when I saw it :smug: I still remember the alien queen fight and me screaming and trying to hide under a blanket my mother brought to the movie teather for me (the A/C was brutally cold for a small child).

One of my favorite things to do as a kid was to put on The Innocents and hide under my dad's computer chair, while he was in it.

Hedrigall posted:

The one for Fantasia was really neat. I'm in awe of the ingenuity and innovation required from stop-motion (also intimidated out of the field by it), and it's very, very interesting to hear about the practices I take for granted in my own. Plus the sheer work that went into pulling of effects you'd never really considered, like the spirits in the Bald Mountain segment.