Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Part of the rink.

Game on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Got my first four goal game last night, which felt pretty good. It was an absolute route though, the final score was like 10-1. The goalie was so upset at his team that multiple times he would just shove the net out of place to stop the play when we had a break away of if they couldn't get the puck out of the zone. We swapped a couple players but at that point the goalie was just so frustrated that he was giving up easy goals and when he dislodged the net again his teammates pulled him in favor of having 6 players on the ice instead. It was the angriest I've seen someone get over a D level hockey game. The good news is that we did so well we're going to try and see if the league will let us play a game at the C/D level so hopefully that game will be a bit more even.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

V for Vegans posted:

Got my first four goal game last night, which felt pretty good. It was an absolute route though, the final score was like 10-1. The goalie was so upset at his team that multiple times he would just shove the net out of place to stop the play when we had a break away of if they couldn't get the puck out of the zone. We swapped a couple players but at that point the goalie was just so frustrated that he was giving up easy goals and when he dislodged the net again his teammates pulled him in favor of having 6 players on the ice instead. It was the angriest I've seen someone get over a D level hockey game. The good news is that we did so well we're going to try and see if the league will let us play a game at the C/D level so hopefully that game will be a bit more even.

I know this pain all too well. At that point I just treat the game like pickup.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005
I have been skating with my CCM Tacks 252's for many years now, I got nearly 17 seasons out of them. Every time I went to the rink someone would always comment about how I made these skates last so long and when I was finally going to get new ones. They had always been comfortable for me so I wore them until they started to literally fall apart this year. This weekend I finally went ahead and went all modern and picked up a pair of CCM Ribcore 50k's since they were heavily discounted. Very happy to get these as my feet feel incredibly comfortable in them. Went during free skate yesterday to get a good break-in and they are quite amazing. Can't wait to see reactions that I'm finally wearing something brand new for a change.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

People who haven't worn thermoformable modern skates don't get how comfortable they are right away until they finally give in and go "oh, wow". One of my assistants has a 20 year old pair of skates, can't wait to see him upgrade.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Our Summer A league this year is going to be a draft which is cool because a lot of the junior/college/sphl guys play and any team stacking gets old fast. Unfortunately they kinda hosed up with captains. There are five teams, and while four of them have former pros as captains, one of them has the best goalie in the area....who is playing forward. He's not a bad forward but he's nowhere near the other four. Oh well, hopefully he drafts well. We get like 17-19 games games too which is pretty sweet for our league.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
So, I might have broken my ankle last night falling awkwardly into the boards. Hoping is just a severe sprain. There was a doc at the hockey clinic I was participating and he went through some tests. I could put weight on it and walk gingerly. Managed to drive home. Lots of ice and ibuprofen since.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Tank44 posted:

So, I might have broken my ankle last night falling awkwardly into the boards. Hoping is just a severe sprain. There was a doc at the hockey clinic I was participating and he went through some tests. I could put weight on it and walk gingerly. Managed to drive home. Lots of ice and ibuprofen since.

I severely sprained my ankle at work, carrying a 60lb winch I slipped and rolled my ankle underneath me. I didn't drop the winch either. You want it to be a break. Bones can heal, a sprain will always feel a bit off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm sure people who break their ankle think the exact opposite.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've severely sprained my ankle and my shoulder on separate occasions. It was loving awful and took forever to heal.

I didn't have full range of motion in my shoulder for more than three months and even then, sudden movements and weight were super painful. It felt fine after about five months and then I hurt it again carrying a heavy bag of groceries.

My ankle took about a month before I could put any weight on it. My doctor said that a clean break would have been less painful and would heal much quicker. I had swelling and noticeable scar tissue in my ankle nearly a year after. 7 years later and you can still see a difference between my two ankles. I didn't get full range of motion for about three months. It wasn't until five to six months after it happened that it felt "fine".

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I sprained my shoulder over 2 years ago. I can throw overhand as of 6 months ago but it still doesn't feel right and I know I'll redamage it if I throw more than a few times.

Basically it's hosed and won't ever be "right" again.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

doctor 7 posted:

I sprained my shoulder over 2 years ago. I can throw overhand as of 6 months ago but it still doesn't feel right and I know I'll redamage it if I throw more than a few times.

Play first

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I hate baseball and not a huge fan of football. Honestly the only sports I enjoy are hockey and casual frisbee so I'm sort of lucky I guess.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

And you've gone to a doctor and gotten physical therapy and everyone's just thrown their hands up and given up?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Tank44 posted:

drat that sucks - why are we all wrecking our ankles up here? Were you doing the HES clinic? I had to skip that one cause my ankle still can't handle more than one game a week after 3½ months.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXVGDgUcGLA

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

drat that sucks - why are we all wrecking our ankles up here? Were you doing the HES clinic? I had to skip that one cause my ankle still can't handle more than one game a week after 3½ months.

Yup - HES clinic. it was going pretty well. Basic concepts that my teams totally do not use but why some people are really good by just being where they should be. There is a wide range of Dvi 3-7 players in it which can be tough at times with regards to who you are passing with and who is chasing you down.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

sellouts posted:

And you've gone to a doctor and gotten physical therapy and everyone's just thrown their hands up and given up?

My doctor a number of times yes. I'm not covered for physio so I would be paying privately for no more results.

My doctor gave me a program and a stuck to it. I've improved significantly, like I said I can throw a ball overhand even though it doesn't feel right. When it started I couldn't even shake someone's hand.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I managed a groin pull playing least weekend. Not sure when it happened, but yeah. Good times.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

My doctor a number of times yes. I'm not covered for physio so I would be paying privately for no more results.

My doctor gave me a program and a stuck to it. I've improved significantly, like I said I can throw a ball overhand even though it doesn't feel right. When it started I couldn't even shake someone's hand.

And you didn't get any sort of imaging done on it? MRI or otherwise?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Anyone with any sort of lingering health problem may want to make an appointment in the next few days...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm seeing my doctor on Monday for that annoying arm injury i've got.

Shame i've got to squat like 50+ alpacas tomorrow before that, but eh, i'll manage.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

sellouts posted:

This is literally how orthopedic medicine works.

Pleads posted:

Anyone with any sort of lingering health problem may want to make an appointment in the next few days...

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm an ortho nurse, AMA

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm an ortho nurse, AMA

Why can't you snap your fingers and fix everything that's wrong with me right this instant?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

This is literally how orthopedic medicine works.

You mean minus imaging, which is a huge component, and can suggest solutions like surgery, which fixes things that PT can't?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

People just have to keep in mind that your health is your responsibility, not your doctor's. If you don't ask questions they're going to give you the "if getting poked there hurts, stop poking it" routine.

I'm not suggesting self-diagnosis via google, but at least do some research and have a conversation.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We had the weirdest ref last night. He yelled EVERYTHING. Like yelling so hard his face was constantly red. I've never heard someone blow their whistle so hard either.

In the first, he skated over to our bench after a penalty and yelled
WHERE'S YOUR CAPTAIN?
I SAID WHERE'S THE CAPTAIN?
WHO'S THE CAPTAIN OVER HERE???
WHO IS SWEARING OVER HERE ON THE BENCH?
YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO SWEAR!
STOP SWEARING OR I'M GIVING YOU AN UNSPORTSMANLIKE!

And then after a play where the goalie froze the puck. The other team and we were joking around in front of the net since we play on the same team on a different night. We were jokingly giving each other poo poo as we skated to the circle for the faceoff and the weird ref comes flying in:
HEY GUYS THE PLAY IS DEAD BREAK IT UP
COME ON LET'S GO
GUYS I SAID THE PLAY IS DEAD, LET'S GO IT'S BEEN 10 SECONDS. LET'S KEEP IT MOVING.

I swear this guy was on the verge of having a fuckin aneurysm or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe USAH heard about the shenanigans going on at your rink and sent in the big guns to clean things up?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

sellouts posted:

You mean minus imaging, which is a huge component, and can suggest solutions like surgery, which fixes things that PT can't?

Doctor's tend to order things like X-rays and MRIs when they suspect there's an underlying issue that the imaging might show. It's not a panacea. Sometimes a busted joint is just a busted joint, now matter how many MRI's or x-rays or surgeries you want to throw at it.

e: Also, I would assume doctor 7's physician took x-rays. They're cheap. MRIs are not.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 4, 2017

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm an ortho nurse, AMA

I recently turned 40 why does my everything hurt?
:corsair:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I just found out that my rink offers no adult hockey lessons in the Summer because of all the Summer camps and stuff. :negative:

I've only been skating for 4 months, but I guess this is gonna push me to start playing Rat Hockey next month, even though I still don't feel like I'm good enough to hang with D-Leaguers yet. :ohdear:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They'll just be happy they're not the shittiest skater on the ice anymore and bury you under weird advice.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

One of the dude's at the rink told me to start playing pickup when I could stop, but were still working on crossovers. People were actually cool about it and gave me extra space to try and carry the puck in. I was actually really shocked at how cool the good hockey players were about having newbies on the ice and I think that's what kept me playing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Maybe USAH heard about the shenanigans going on at your rink and sent in the big guns to clean things up?

Funny, we're not a USAH rink, but the refs like to quote section 4, paragraph 8, line 27, clause b of the USAH rules when we ask about a call.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
We're from the USAH, and we're here to help.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I just found out that my rink offers no adult hockey lessons in the Summer because of all the Summer camps and stuff. :negative:

I've only been skating for 4 months, but I guess this is gonna push me to start playing Rat Hockey next month, even though I still don't feel like I'm good enough to hang with D-Leaguers yet. :ohdear:

Three will always be half a dozen kids there that are ten times as good as you'll ever be so it doesn't really matter

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

Tank44 posted:

Update: broken fibula. Have a cast on now. Get surgery next week, out 2-3 months.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Dangerllama posted:

Doctor's tend to order things like X-rays and MRIs when they suspect there's an underlying issue that the imaging might show. It's not a panacea. Sometimes a busted joint is just a busted joint, now matter how many MRI's or x-rays or surgeries you want to throw at it.

e: Also, I would assume doctor 7's physician took x-rays. They're cheap. MRIs are not.

I think there might be some Docs that do that stuff out of curiosity or being unable to determine a root cause for something too. I have severe arthritis in both my hip joints and my doctor has had me get x-rays twice, an MRI and even had blood work done because he can't figure out why this happened to me. No family history, no other problems, no personal history like hip dysplasia as a child or something. But yeah he's at least tried every avenue hoping there was some sort of weird cause to it that could be stopped where it is so it doesn't get any worse. Plus I honestly think he's just curious about why I would have such severe arthritis at such a young age, I'm only 33.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Tank44 posted:

Update: broken fibula. Have a cast on now. Get surgery next week, out 2-3 months.

That sucks, sorry man.