Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh yeah, that sounds right.

So that makes Persona 4 even more unique: not only does the other world stick around, but the characters can still get there if they want to. None of the other Persona games leave that open.

On a similar topic: is it ever indicated whether the Persona 1/2 characters can use their Personas when weird poo poo isn't warping the real world? As far as I know, we only ever see them using their Personas when the DEVA System is warping things in Persona 1, or when reality is all messed up in Persona 2. If they can only use their Personas when the collective unconscious (or, in Persona 1, just one girl's unconscious) is bleeding through, then that makes their power more similar to the Persona 3/4/5 characters' power than it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

I say "fray." Though I suppose if anyone knows what the katakana is for that it'd be pretty obvious how it's supposed to be pronounced.

EDIT: In katakana, it's フレイ, which is "fu-re-i," so yep, "fray."
Speaking of which, why do the English names elide the "ha" in the "maha-" in the names of multi-target spells? Is it a relic from years and years ago when they had a strict character limit to work around?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Speaking of which, why do the English names elide the "ha" in the "maha-" in the names of multi-target spells? Is it a relic from years and years ago when they had a strict character limit to work around?

It could be, though it's worth noting that Persona 2: Eternal Punishment kept the full "Maha" and that was the first time a localized SMT/Persona game had the original spell names. The menus in the PS2 games might've had stricter character limits for one reason or another. It's also possible it's just to make them easier/shorter to say--"Mabufudyne" instead of "Maha Bufudyne" or something.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I guess most people don't speak Sanskrit, so they'd be unlikely to notice or care.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now that I think about it, it could've just come down to Nocturne's menu sizes.

Looking at that, it's possible some of the longer "Maha" spell names might've struggled to fit. To be more easily legible in English, there needs to be a space or hyphen between Maha and the rest of the spell name, which adds a total of three characters to the spell name's length. If that was looking a little cramped there, they might've just shortened it to "Ma" and ditched the space and figured nobody would notice (which turned out to be true). Then they stuck with the same convention for Persona 3 and at that point it stuck.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It might also be kinda weird for the Hama line of spells. Mahahama doesn't roll off as well as Mahama.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
To say nothing of Mahabananarama.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also I absolutely loved the Igor reveal. And then someone pointed out that when you first enter the Velvet room Igor goes, 'Welcome to MY Velvet room', which isn't the usual line. At first I had dismissed it since I thought they were going for a more brutal approach with the game and it made sense for Igor to be a bit more mean at that point.
At the time I assumed that the many changes to the velvet room were changes for change's sake as much as anything. After all, while the velvet room is a positive place it's not meant to feel safe and reassuring; it's meant to feel alien and otherworldly. After two games of the same gentle blue room with Igor lyrically repeating the same catechisms a third repeat would have risked feeling normal and familiar, which really aren't feelings that a new visitor should ever associate with it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

I noticed something on my ng+ run, does satanael's gun really not have a barrel? It's just empty space all the way down the middle.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The barrel is empty and hollow, much like the sins it fires from it.

Symbolism.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXZ36Q1kotI&t

i dunno here's a video of moving bodies of water in arid, dry climates set to Rivers In The Desert gently caress it man

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Moltrey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXZ36Q1kotI&t

i dunno here's a video of moving bodies of water in arid, dry climates set to Rivers In The Desert gently caress it man

This is a good video.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
[volume warning]
https://twitter.com/pavaal/status/860104565684715521

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like this a lot. Made me laugh.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

should have been

"where have you been?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Fun bookending thing I just noticed. When the protagonist decides to do intervene against Shido, you get a brief shot of his fist clenching, when you're about to face yabbadabbadoo, you get the same shot. It's not that obscure a gesture, but it's both in cutscenes.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Weird little continuity goof:

When you enter Shido's palace to steal his heart, Joker's in his hoodie but comes back to the real world in his school uniform. They went out of their way to put him in his uniform for the palace reveal; surprised no one on the dev team caught that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TheLoser posted:

When you enter Shido's palace to steal his heart, Joker's in his hoodie but comes back to the real world in his school uniform. They went out of their way to put him in his uniform for the palace reveal; surprised no one on the dev team caught that.
That's clearly the cognitive Joker from Shido's Palace that escaped.

The real Joker probably got trapped in a rat tunnel and probably died.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Now I'm curious about what would happen if they tried taking a cognitive person out of the metaverse. The cognitive cash and items they find seem to make the jump just fine, so what would happen to a person?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ChaosArgate posted:

Now I'm curious about what would happen if they tried taking a cognitive person out of the metaverse. The cognitive cash and items they find seem to make the jump just fine, so what would happen to a person?

My guess is that they just wouldn't be able to exist outside of the Metaverse. Note that not everything in the Metaverse translates 1:1 over in reality. Morgana looks like a mascot character in the Metaverse, but becomes a normal-looking cat in the real world. Okumura's Treasure was some kind of weird energy/power core thing in the Metaverse, but a normal toy model kit in the real world. The money in Kaneshiro's briefcase Treasure was worthless funny money with his portrait on it, despite the fact that pretty much every single Shadow/cognition we fight dropping real Japanese legal tender upon defeat.

I guess if it was possible for a cognitive version of a person to leave the Metaverse, maybe they'd end up as like a mannequin or something?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The precedent with treasures seems to be "the cognitive item turns into a copy of the item it's a cognition of". So, assuming that holds up, cognitive people would lose all the weirdness (like bikini Ann, etc) but continue to exist as a clone of the original.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
only treasures continue to exist outside of the metaverse.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Basically what I'm saying is that Akechi killing cognitive Joker was still murder

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that Akechi killing cognitive Joker was still murder

It is not like it really matters. If Akechi ever got taken to court then the fucker is being executed so another corpse would not really change things.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, but given all the shadows we extort and murder in random encounters are we really entitled to cast shade on his actions?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

It is not like it really matters. If Akechi ever got taken to court then the fucker is being executed so another corpse would not really change things.

Honestly, even if Akechi confessed everything a trial around him would be an absolute shitshow. His murder method is unproven hocus-pocus, he's a minor with a huge fan following that would create a media circus, Shido himself would probably deny his involvement since the Thieves woke up his conscience, and no one else in the conspiracy knows about him or has anything linking him to the killings. The only hard piece of evidence is the phone recording that Futaba used to pull off the interrogation-room switcheroo. His SIG-Sauer could be used as evidence (I really doubt that even a Wonder Child Detective could tote around a customized silenced pistol without raising an eyebrow), except that he shot all of his victims in the magic mind-control world.

He'd probably be convicted for aiding and abetting or defrauding the police or something like that, but the murders themselves? If Shido walked on those charges, then he definitely would even if he grabbed the interrogator by the throat and gave dates and times for everything.

e: come to think of it, that pistol would probably get him into deeper poo poo than any of the murders themselves, since Japan's famously got no sense of humor for possession of a firearm.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 4, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I beat the game a while ago and I still can't get over how great the final dungeon music is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up6uoHRMG_s

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ApplesandOranges posted:

So is there an actual reason Joker needs to go back home after the game? Aside from maybe 'nobody's gonna pay for his education'? Sure the cops might be watching him... but they're gonna be watching everyone.

Also I absolutely loved the Igor reveal. And then someone pointed out that when you first enter the Velvet room Igor goes, 'Welcome to MY Velvet room', which isn't the usual line. At first I had dismissed it since I thought they were going for a more brutal approach with the game and it made sense for Igor to be a bit more mean at that point.

Well I mean, he does have a family that loves him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Well I mean, he does have a family that loves him.

Before someone comes in here claiming Joker's parents kicked him out and don't care about him:

The reason he had to go to Tokyo was because of schools not letting him in, not his parents not wanting him. Joker needed to go to school and Shujin was the best option that would accept him while he's on probation, so he had to go to Tokyo for that. His parents didn't callously cast him out or anything like that. It was either go to Tokyo or miss school, and I'm betting his probation required him to attend school.

Sure, his parents never call or write on-screen, but neither did Yu's parents in Persona 4, and I don't think we were supposed to assume they were horrible monsters who hated their son. They're just not important to the story so we don't really see them calling or anything like that.

It's possible he doesn't have many friends back home, and people outside his family will probably still see him as that kid who assaulted a guy, so I suspect Joker wants to go back to Tokyo to be with his actual friends once he's old enough to move out, but it's not really a surprise his parents would want him home, or even that he'd be okay going back to live with them again.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Joker probably has contact with his parents in some form, you just never see it because it's unimportant to the story, the same way you don't see him shower or eat every day. I would have liked a nod in that direction at least once, but eh.

EDIT: although in some way I'm intrigued with the possibility of having a protagonist who is on bad terms with people he already knows and having to rebuild their confidence in him. Like dealing with his parents as his hierophant or tower arcana or something.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 4, 2017

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

after valentines day, all of the girls joker was dating probably changed tothe tower arcana.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

I beat the game a while ago and I still can't get over how great the final dungeon music is

I mean it was better than the mementos theme but its pretty meh

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm kinda disappointed the real Igor doesn't actually say anything, voiced or otherwise, if you use the Velvet Room in the final leg of the game.

Edit: On the other hand, it's nice not having Caroline or Justine constantly saying stuff when you're backing in and out of a gallows sacrifice for RNG manipulation.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 4, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What's been troubling me recently is, is there a fusion accident animation for Lavenza? I think the people deserve to know

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

The sixth palace exists and that's the theme that stuck with you?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

TheLoser posted:

Joker explicitly switches back to his Shujin uniform when they go to Shido's palace so people don't see the crew and think 'oh look, a bunch of teenagers and some shady dude with his hood up'

seems to me it'd be way simpler to have everyone go in casual dress so people don't ask why a bunch of students are just chilling in front of the Diet, but I never understood why SEES and the investigation team thought their school uniforms were their best outfit for demon slaying either. (other than Yasogami High's outfit being rad as gently caress)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Apparently the Yasogami uniform is bulky enough to hide their weapons or something? :shrug: I vaguely remember Chie or Yosuke saying something to that effect at the start of P4.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

The sixth palace exists and that's the theme that stuck with you?

Shido's palace theme has a really cool sinister majesty, it's not quite Whims of Fate but it's still really good.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHcA3XS2nPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Now I want a Platinum spinoff character action game

Edit: I'm picturing the scene where Raiden slices Metal Gear Ray in half, except Futaba is yelling "That's it, Joker! Shoot God in the Head!"

• Locked thread